NtDaily: Conference change a short-term fix

James329

"If UNT wants to move up to a conference where it can immediately contend for a conference football championship, this move will benefit the Mean Green. But if UNT is looking to move to a more competitive conference and improve the program’s reputation over time, it may be headed to the wrong place."

http://www.ntdaily.com/?p=68939

• Upvote 1

"At this point, if drawing fans, selling tickets and winning games are the short-term goals for the Mean Green, the conference move will prove beneficial, but C-USA will not bring long-term success to the program."

How on earth can this not bring long-term success to the program? Am I missing something?

• Upvote 2

The article misses the big picture. Yes, CUSA is having a down year and the SBC is having it's best year. The problem with that argument is we know what the SUn Belt is, we've lived it for 12 years. There's a reason CUSA has more bowls with better payouts.

The new CUSA has a huge upside. The western division is perfect for UNT, with nearly every away game closer than the nearest SBC school. Travel savings across the board, increased attendance from the other school, and playing more known schools.

From the academic perspective the author wrote about, tell me which names sound better; Rice and Tulane or Arkansas State and 'Funroe?

Staying in the Belt won't get us into the Big 12 where the author thinks we can go.

"If UNT wants to move up to a conference where it can immediately contend for a conference football championship, this move will benefit the Mean Green. But if UNT is looking to move to a more competitive conference and improve the program's reputation over time, it may be headed to the wrong place."

http://www.ntdaily.com/?p=68939

Some truth to that. Still glad we're going.

• Upvote 1

There was an article in the NT Daily complaining about the "Were all in" phrase UNT is using. The guy was saying it can be taken this way or that way and eventually connected it to the GLBTQ community. He went on to tie it to coming out of the closet or something. I honestly couldn't believe I was reading a university paper.

• Upvote 1

"At this point, if drawing fans, selling tickets and winning games are the short-term goals for the Mean Green, the conference move will prove beneficial, but C-USA will not bring long-term success to the program."

How on earth can this not bring long-term success to the program? Am I missing something?

Because CUSA D&D program isn't very good.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1