JIM JIM may be special

Harry

Antoinne had a couple of just flat out amazing runs and I continue to be impressed with this young man. 70 yards tonight on freaking 8 carries (8.5 average) and 2 receptions for 28 yards. This against a team that dominated the U and is considered a top tier team in the Big12... he appears to be a special player to keep an major eye on as a freshman.

I think Mac is right to ease him in, especially with other quality like Byrd and Brown here. Only thing left for 22 to add is pull-away speed but that may be able to be improved with training. Vision and Moves are already above-average with a chance at becoming elite. Anyone else think it isn't a coincidence he's wearing 22 ?

• Upvote 1

It was honestly getting frustrating watching Byrd get so many carries. Any other back we have would've have been tackled for a loss on Jimmerson's touchdown. We NEED to get Jimmerson the ball more and I don't see why he wouldn't start next week. He really looks like a gamebreaker and, while they are great guys from what I've heard, Byrd is slow and plain as a runner and J Brown is indecisive and small. Byrd could be effective as a short yardage running back if Jimmerson gets gassed and Brown can be effective in the passing game as a blocker and receiver. Jimmerson really has looked special with his strength and elusiveness and I love the way he keeps his legs moving.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Jimmerson had a fantastic game. But he has been run down from behind way too much when he's supposed to have a second gear and cruise to the end zone. Dude has no breakaway speed.

Byrd is extremely effective. I like them both about the same. Brown is falling. His minutes should be shrinking as these two are the ones that are providing big gains. Need a speedster? Hand off to Brelan in motion!

• Upvote 3

Jimmerson had a fantastic game. But he has been run down from behind way too much when he's supposed to have a second gear and cruise to the end zone. Dude has no breakaway speed.

Byrd is extremely effective. I like them both about the same. Brown is falling. His minutes should be shrinking as these two are the ones that are providing big gains. Need a speedster? Hand off to Brelan in motion!

Yes Jimmerson does not have breakaway speed but that isn't his game. I wouldn't say he got caught from behind tonight, the guy had the angle so give him a little more credit. To be 219 lbs at 5'9" is pretty dang big for a running back, especially a redshirt freshman. His strength is using his low center of gravity mixed with keeping his legs churning after contact. This allows him to break tackles and make people miss even if he isn't going to outrun many people. He has looked faster than Byrd for sure this year and yards-per-carry wise he is kicking his butt.

People on this board have not-so-discretely likened him to Emmitt Smith and the reason is not because of his body of work at this point but rather his running style. Emmitt didn't have blazing breakaway speed either but he did have a similar running style to Jimmerson and was very successful to say the least.

• Upvote 1

I like how Jimmerson has been used thus far. I like the use of he and Byrd alternating. It keeps fresh legs in the game. Jim-Jim does not have breakaway speed but he's quick, has good vision, and is the best at changing direction. If I have any quarrel it's overusing Jeremy Brown. Jeremy is the faster of the three but with his size he does not need to be running inside. The differences in style is a plus until (or if) a feature back emerges.

• Upvote 1

I like how Jimmerson has been used thus far. I like the use of he and Byrd alternating. It keeps fresh legs in the game. Jim-Jim does not have breakaway speed but he's quick, has good vision, and is the best at changing direction. If I have any quarrel it's overusing Jeremy Brown. Jeremy is the faster of the three but with his size he does not need to be running inside. The differences in style is a plus until (or if) a feature back emerges.

I agree with almost all of your statement. My one question is what more does Jimmerson have to do to emerge as a feature back? Legitimate question, not a smart-ass rhetorical one.

• Upvote 1

I agree with almost all of your statement. My one question is what more does Jimmerson have to do to emerge as a feature back? Legitimate question, not a smart-ass rhetorical one.

Unless a player is truly outstanding with breakaway speed or there's a great dropoff in talent I don't really see the need for a feature back. The really good teams (LSU, Alabama come to mind) often use two running backs. As big as college (and pro) teams have become it's nearly impossible for a single back to take the pounding of carrying every running down and remain injury-free. I do believe that Jimmerson should get more carries this year than any other combination of running backs.

Edited by GrayEagle

Jinmerson's running style reminds me of another back.

Not big, not fast, but constantly makes yardage through superior vision, unbelievable ability to cut back and instantly accelerate through the smallest of spaces, and using angles on tacklers to make sure that he gets every inch of field possible post-contact.

Any guesses?

• Upvote 1

Unless a player is truly outstanding with breakaway speed or there's a great dropoff in talent I don't really see the need for a feature back. The really good teams (LSU, Alabama come to mind) often use two running backs. As big as college (and pro) teams have become it's nearly impossible for a single back to take the pounding of carrying every running down and remain injury-free. I do believe that Jimmerson should get more carries this year than any other combination of running backs.

I agree. I grew up in Tennessee so a have watched a lot of SEC football in my days so I agree. One thing I have noticed is that LSU and Alabama use so many running backs for the simple reason that they have recruited so many studs and they all have the ability to contribute right away since they play running back. When they do have a stud, like Trent Richardson, they gave him the majority of the carries. I'd like to see 20-23 carries a game for jimmerson but still about 10-15 for Byrd so I wouldn't call for Jimmerson to be an every down back either.

• Upvote 1

Not big, not fast, but constantly makes yardage through superior vision, unbelievable ability to cut back and instantly accelerate through the smallest of spaces, and using angles on tacklers to make sure that he gets every inch of field possible post-contact.

Any guesses?

I think someone else alluded to this too (because they both wear #22), but I definitely see some Emmitt-like moves/vision in what little we've seen so far. That stutter step TD could have been him.

• Upvote 1

I think someone else alluded to this too (because they both wear #22), but I definitely see some Emmitt-like moves/vision in what little we've seen so far. That stutter step TD could have been him.

Ding ding.

Didn't see the earlier reference, but it's good to know I wasn't delirious last night as I re-watched the game on Fox.

• Upvote 1

Any guesses?

Jerome Bettis? right?

amirite? what do i win?

• Upvote 1

Any guesses?

Tom Rathman?

• Upvote 1

I agree. I think we were even talking about this at the TSU game. Our backs are good as a unit and Jimmerson seems to be the best combo of power and shiftyness, but none seem to have great breakaway speed like Dunbar. We got spoiled.

• Upvote 2

He ran a 4.5 at the combine two years ago, so I'm guessing maybe the extra 15-20 pounds may have slowed him down a little as far as breakaway is concerned. From what I've seen, he still has a great burst, and maybe a little more of that breakaway speed will return in time. He could turn out to be special regardless.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=5056610

• Upvote 1