North Texas will play @Creighton Nov. 9th

Harry

crelogo.jpg

The last piece of Creighton's scheduling puzzle might not be the elite program some Bluejay fans long to see their team play.

But getting North Texas to open the season in Omaha excites coach Greg McDermott.

“I think North Texas as an opener will turn out in the end to be a great game for us,” McDermott said. “And it's not going to be an easy game. They're going to be very talented, and there's a reason they had a hard time filling their schedule, too.”

Creighton announced its 2012-13 schedule Thursday. Most of the Bluejays' nonconference opponents were already known, but McDermott and his staff had been working on landing a possible high-profile opponent for the season-opening game.

McDermott said the Bluejays were prepared to open against a non-Division I opponent, which would not have impacted their RPI, had a suitable first-game foe not been found.

North Texas falls somewhere in between. The Mean Green, a member of the Sun Belt Conference, compiled a No. 200 RPI ranking while finishing last season with an 18-14 record.

Six of the losses came in the final 13 games after two of the team's top three scorers, Chris Jones and Jordan Williams, were declared ineligible. They are back with the team, as is sophomore Tony Mitchell.

Read more: http://www.omaha.com.../708319999/1001

CREIGHTON SCHEDULE

NOVEMBER

9: North Texas, 7:05 p.m.

This post has been promoted to an article

Oh wow........That is a very difficult place to play with their "bird cage""bird nest" w/e they call their student section

So this was the last team we were trying to square away, schedule should be released soon.

If they get the W, this will be one of the best away wins in recent memories.

LSU was nice but they were not a good team nor was it a tough environment

• Upvote 1

“He's one of the elite players in the country,” McDermott said of Mitchell. “He'll be a lottery pick next year.''

Mitchell, a 6-foot-8 forward, averaged 14.7 points and 10.3 rebounds in earning first-team all-league honors in addition to being named the Sun Belt's freshman of the year. He was the only freshman to average double figures in points and rebounds, and his rebound average ranked second for all freshmen behind Kentucky's Anthony Davis (10.4).

Mitchell and Creighton star Doug McDermott played together on the United States under-19 team in 2011. They also both participated in prestigious summer camps run by NBA stars Amar'e Stoudemire and LeBron James.

“We're well aware of how good he is,” Greg McDermott said. “We tried to recruit a couple of guys on their team, so we know how talented they are. I think they have the potential to be an NCAA tournament team.”

Oh wow........That is a very difficult place to play with their "bird cage""bird nest" w/e they call their student section

So this was the last team we were trying to square away, schedule should be released soon.

If they get the W, this will be one of the best away wins in recent memories.

LSU was nice but they were not a good team nor was it a tough environment

students2.jpg

just finished reading a few lines on their message board... they have no clue what they just invited into their gym.

I just hope there will be enough seats for the teams ride home after Tony gathers each of their first born sons.

creme%252Begg4.jpg

Edited by Maduro
  • Upvote 5

Possible return game in Denton?

THANK GOD, no cupcakes beyond the two foisted on us by participation in the MTE.

North Texas is interesting. They have a major stud player Mitchell who averaged a double double as a frosh. Also CU is recruiting the Dallas area hard so a game 35 miles north is nice! (Guess I'm assuming there is a return game, maybe a 2 fer 1?)

I know I have green glasses on but y'all are Creighton from the MVC. Get off your high horse a little bit and prepare for that Mean Green butt kickin!

• Upvote 2

Mitchell and Coleman will be tested early, Mcdermott is as good as they will see in college basketball. This is a great game to have on the schedule, a very good opportunity (like St. Joe's) to get a solid W for our RPI. I'm sure their fans will be singing a different tune after the game, win or loss they'll know we were a quality team.

• Upvote 1

I'm there.

I really had my heart set on Philly. Unless that game falls on a weekend , I will probably be with you in NE

Catch a early flight Saturday morning to get back in time for the Souh Alabama game

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

this is so much better than starting off the year with a game against a top 5 Jayhawk team on the road.

Creighton is well coached and the whole team is very disciplined. Each of them brings their lunch pail and is a coach on the court.... real students of the game.

Edited by Maduro
  • Upvote 2

WHAT?!?! Creighton? That's the best that the coaching could have done?!? Get ready for the Blue Jays! We have a gift in Mitchell, waste scheduling opportunities and we continue to want these home games against quality which we will never get. 10 seed here we come...

Disappointed? Without a doubt!

Could we have done better? Probably.

It is what it is... let's not overlook nor look down at this team, or we'll get our hats handed back to us. They are a Missouri Valley conf team, they can play.

No good team would do a 1 and 1 with us and the only way I would do a 1 and done was if it was against a high profile team on national TV. Creighton will be a ~150ish RPI team probably and will be a good test.

Is this a bit? Gotta be.

Nevermind. I just read the Creighton board. I get it. Sarcasm is not my strong point, if I have one at all.

Edited by GangGreen
  • Upvote 2