Roster Power Rankings

I pretty excited about Justin Patton. I think he will take us over the top and help out a lot this year.

He is a wildcard to me...I know he blew up against us but his video makes him look like a slashing dunker yet I keep hearing he can shoot. Interested to get a good look at Mr. Patton!

Right now we have 14 really good players. Thing is, you really only play 9 a night.

We have a clear number 1...then it seems we have a consensus that 2-4 are Jones/Alzee/Taylor in some sort of order. From there...in my opinion...Holmen, Franklin, Patton, Jordan and Coleman, based either on expectations, inconsistency and need, fill out spots 5-9 in some order.

After that...I valued size and the fact that Coleman is an unknown to put Niko 10...the lack of knock of knock-down shooting to plug in Walton and Overlander next. Point guard is pretty set.

I really like Overlander and Hardwick...but right now I just don't see how they find the floor...they don't only have to be good, they have to be good enough to merit taking away minutes from Jones/Taylor/Alzee...the 3 guys it seems we agree are 2-4 in terms of talent or importance on this team. If one of them can do it, great...I won't sneeze at even more talent...I just don't envision it.

I think people are crazy not to include Patton in the top 3 on this team. He is a proven all-conference player (albeit a smaller conference) who will provide a slasher that this team sorely missed last year. Here is my list:

1) Mitchell

2/3) Jones/Patton

4) Alzee

5) Walton

6) J. Williams

7) Holman

8) Taylor

9) Franlkin

10) Hardwick

11) Niko

12) Coleman

13) Overlander

14) Norris

Ok, Taylor may be the nice new add, but he hasn't done it at this level. Give me a guy who hits about the same percentage from 3 in a mid-major NCAA conference (Walton) over a guy that did it at NJCAA level.

J. Williams is crazy athletic and was just turning the corner when he blew it last year. Here is hoping that he has worked on both his game and his academics.

Holman had a great tournament and was the #2 player down the stretch last year. Taylor should get about 10 minutes off the bench to start out with. It makes for a real nice option to be able to rotate Walton, Taylor, or Aoverlander through that position, depending on match ups and who is knocking down their shots.

Franklin was a meh for me last year. Undersized 4 who desperately needs to add an outside game. Tough as nails, though.

Don't underestimate the posiible contribution of Hardwick, a pass first point guard (the only possibly effective one of those on the team) who could pair with any other guard in the backcourt except for Norris, who may never see the floor this year.

Coleman is a freshman big man. If he could just rebound and play defense, he could move up this list. We will see.

Overlander needs to be a great spot up shooter to see time. Also worry about his defense against much quicker guards.

Like I said, Norris may never see the floor.

Because you're a better all around team (scoring, defensively, ability) with one of these three backcourts: Jones and Alzee, Jones and Taylor, Taylor and Alzee than you are with any one of them paired next to Norris or Hardwick...at least by present appearances.

Maybe a better scoring backcourt, but not a better passing backcourt.

I also see Hardwick getting playing time against smaller, quicker guards. Basketball is all about matchups.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Because you're a better all around team (scoring, defensively, ability) with one of these three backcourts: Jones and Alzee, Jones and Taylor, Taylor and Alzee than you are with any one of them paired next to Norris or Hardwick...at least by present appearances.

Based on what we've seen, I'll agree with this. But, I'm thinking that Benford has a plan for Hardwick. Although he may not see a ton of minutes, he'll probably see the floor regularly. Something like 5-10 min per game depending on how hot he is when he comes on.

• Upvote 1

1) Mitchell

2/3) Jones/Patton

4) Walton

5) J. Williams

6) Holman

7) Taylor

8) Franlkin

9) Hardwick

10) Niko

11) Coleman

12) Overlander

13) Norris

Where's Alzee?

In the end, I love having this argument...we're gonna be stupid deep.

I think Taylor is in another league...I am basing this on a Top 100 national ranking, OU and MU signed LOI's and leading a top JUCO in scoring as a freshmen...it may take a bit of acclimation, but not much.

Jordan may've been trying too hard to be the lead guy last season...this season being a 3rd-5th scoring option should help his development.

I like Patton a lot. I think his versatility is going to be such a huge plus.

Holmen has had great stretches before the SBC tourney last year...and to this point they've been countered with stretches of poor play. If he can put it all together consistently he has double-digit scoring potential, even with all the scoring around him. Consistency is the issue.

• Upvote 2

Where's Alzee?

In the end, I love having this argument...we're gonna be stupid deep.

I think Taylor is in another league...I am basing this on a Top 100 national ranking, OU and MU signed LOI's and leading a top JUCO in scoring as a freshmen...it may take a bit of acclimation, but not much.

Jordan may've been trying too hard to be the lead guy last season...this season being a 3rd-5th scoring option should help his development.

I like Patton a lot. I think his versatility is going to be such a huge plus.

Holmen has had great stretches before the SBC tourney last year...and to this point they've been countered with stretches of poor play. If he can put it all together consistently he has double-digit scoring potential, even with all the scoring around him. Consistency is the issue.

OOps.. He should have been 4, with everyone else bumped down one. Fixed it.

And, ya, these are great "problems" to have.

Deep, Deep. Deep.

• Upvote 1

The thing I noticed about MT more than anything last season, especially watching their game @ Vandy was their depth. Looking at this roster you have ten players who could potentially start or get significant minutes on most sun belt rosters, that's impressive. Having that kind of depth will be key on the off chance that TM/JW/CJ/Alzee can't supply the majority of the scoring. I am equally excited for basketball as I am for football, I don't think I was this excited even last year and I only missed a few games. We are absolutely loaded, can't wait to see the schedule.

• Upvote 1

With all the depth we have, is it possible that we redshirt anyone? It seems like Overlander, Hardwick, or Norris make sense if they are not going to see many minutes. Not sure, but since we have all the gurus in one place, it seems like the right place to ask.

I'd be stunned if Overlander doesn't redshirt.

How about someone throught out 3 lineups for me.

1) Starting 5

2) Lineup if we're going small/athletic

3) Lineup if we're going big

1. Jones - Taylor - Patton - Mitchell - Coleman

2. Alzee/Jones - Jordan - Patton - Franklin - Holmen

3. Jones - Taylor - Holmen - Mitchell - Coleman

1. Tony Mitchell

2. Chris Jones

3. Jordan Williams

4. TJ Taylor

5. Justin Patton

6. Keith Coleman

7. Alzee Williams

8. PJ Hardwick

9. Jacob Holmen

10. Roger Franklin

11. Brandan Walton

12. Trey Norris

13. Clarke Overlander

14. Niko Stojiljkovic

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This forum harbors quite the hatred for tall white Mean Green Basketball players.... Niko is not Knoxxy or POWERTON. He and Tony played really well off of each other the few times they shared the court. His passing ability on the blocks was one of the few things that opened opportunities up for Tony during those long stretches of stagnate offense. The more minutes he gets along side Tony this year, the better. I'd hazard a guess that Niko gets the same or more minutes a game as Franklin.

• Upvote 3

This forum harbors quite the hatred for tall white Mean Green Basketball players.... Niko is not Knoxxy or POWERTON. He and Tony played really well off of each other the few times they shared the court. His passing ability on the blocks was one of the few things that opened opportunities up for Tony during those long stretches of stagnate offense. The more minutes he gets along side Tony this year, the better. I'd hazard a guess that Niko gets the same or more minutes a game as Franklin.

I'm not buying it. Niko got backed down in the post by almost everyone he played against last year. His offensive game is nice, and there were stretches that I wanted him on the floor to attack opposing posts who were already on foul trouble, but he seems to be the protype soft Euro big.

• Upvote 1

I'm not buying it. Niko got backed down in the post by almost everyone he played against last year. His offensive game is nice, and there were stretches that I wanted him on the floor to attack opposing posts who were already on foul trouble, but he seems to be the protype soft Euro big.

Yep. A terribly huge defensive liability that got pushed around like a rag doll in the post, especially early In the year.

He seemed to improve toward the end, but his playing time also went down.

Niko should be a nice 11 or 12 option for this team.

P1 has a hard on for the big white guy. Kinda like rooting for the underdog, at least at UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1