Roster Power Rankings

Sure, speculation is fun, but trying to rank this team at this point is a bit difficult unless you're very much an insider. The only thing I'll say, is that Holmen, Alzee, and JW will find their minutes IMO. They're all solid at the line, and they all showed some serious stuff at times last year. Certainly the two veterans. As far as Niko is concerned, his leg strength seems to be a liability, but I suspect his length and other attributes will get him some minutes. It will be fun watching the coaching staff figure all this out. Most of us have been used to JJ's style for many years, so there could be a bunch of surprises out in front of us.

• Upvote 1

Not going to rank team based on how good I think they are, but I will based on predicted minutes.

1. Mitchell - Best player in conference by large margin

2. A. Williams - Best all around player on team last year

3. Jones - Was all conference caliber last year and may have just scratched the surface

4. Patton - Fast jumper that can play defense

5. Taylor - Should be NT's best outside threat

6. J. Williams - Second best athlete on team

7. Holmen - More effort on defense and rebounding could get him a starting spot

8. Coleman - Big

9. Niko - Finesse player that needs to play tougher

10. Hardwick - Would be the recruit everyone is talking about in a normal NT year

11. Walton - Tough and got his shoot going late in year

12. Franklin - Good inside game but small

13. Outlander - Too early to play much

14. Norris - OK player but plays at a loaded position

Mitchell will get all the time he wants and fouls allow. Alzee will get time at both guard spots. My guess is that good defenders will get more time than shooters.

There are just so many players on this team that could have big upswings in ability. Patton is an unknown but I think he could be the best defender among the bigs with the always exclusion of MItchell. Coleman is raw and may not see as much time as many predict. Taylor has proven to be a great hs and juco players but does that translate on a loaded team. Holmen was the best player on the team in the Belt tournament, can that continue? Does Jordan's talent blow everyone away. Jones was all conference quality last year despite some poor shooting. Walton was a very good all around player by last season end. Niko seemed to stay in JJ's doghouse but was not afraid to drive to the basket and provided a spark of offense among the bigs.

On paper, the second team would beat most historical NT squads. I can see the whole starting lineup being all conference material, with Mitchell and Jones first team.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Perhaps there is a new normal when it comes to UNT basketball recruiting.

If you caught the podcast last night, Vito commented that after viewing practices he felt people were way overlooking Hardwick. It sounds like Hardwick is a LOT better than some of us think and will likely get significant minutes.

Lot of good basketball discussion last night. Here's a link if you missed it:

If you caught the podcast last night, Vito commented that after viewing practices he felt people were way overlooking Hardwick. It sounds like Hardwick is a LOT better than some of us think and will likely get significant minutes.

Lot of good basketball discussion last night. Here's a link if you missed it:

Minutes will depend on match ups, which is what makes this team so deep. UNT can answer just about any lineup another team decides to throw out there.

UNT can go small, big, or in between and still outmatch anyone in the Belt.

Again, Deep, Deep, Deep.

• Upvote 1