Chris Jones- Early NBA? Let's talk here.

Somewhat on topic here, just from looking at Chris Jones' twitter, it seems he thinks he'll be joining Mr. Mitchell on draft day next year. Obviously incredibly unlikely, but I like his confidence at least.

In the friends and family area? Maybe in a couple more seasons, but not one year from now.

• Upvote 1

Impossibly?

In the friends and family area? Maybe in a couple more seasons, but not one year from now.

Yeah, he's living in a dream world unfortunately. But, like I said, I like the confidence. Apparently he isn't the only one either. I remember someone else tweeting (99% sure it was Roger Franklin) that too many people from UNT are trying to jump to "the league" next year, and that he hopes it doesn't cause problems. My best guess is that CJ's freshman failing buddy Jordan Williams is one of the others who thinks that. They're both talented and were successful last year, and both seem to lack in the intelligence department. Oh well, agents and scouts will tell them the reality after the season haha.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

I don't know guys...Chris is really really good. If he has a breakout year it isn't inconceivable. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Chris averaged 4.26 Assist and 2.36, that's more than a 2-1 ratio. That must go down to about a 5-1 ratio if he has any LEAGUE asperations.

If Chris attempts to go to the LEAGUE after this year. He will end up on the bench in Isreal behind some other point guard. STAY IN SCHOOL. STAY ELIGIBLE. GET A DEGREE. MAKE A GOOD LIVING.

• Upvote 6

Chris averaged 4.26 Assist and 2.36, that's more than a 2-1 ratio. That must go down to about a 5-1 ratio if he has any LEAGUE asperations.

If Chris attempts to go to the LEAGUE after this year. He will end up on the bench in Isreal behind some other point guard. STAY IN SCHOOL. STAY ELIGIBLE. GET A DEGREE. MAKE A GOOD LIVING.

You don't need a 5-1 assist-to ratio to be considered for the NBA. It's rare for a point guard on any level to hit a 3-1 season or career ratio. For example, Chris Paul's soph and final season at WF was at 2.4. I am curious where you have seen anyone with a season or career 5-1.

Found this, too. Pretty interesting.

CJ's ratio is pretty indicative of his age. Personally - and you're welcome to disagree - I think his basketball aptitude is off the charts and if he matures he should easily end up HOF.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You don't need a 5-1 assist-to ratio to be considered for the NBA. It's rare for a point guard on any level to hit a 3-1 season or career ratio. For example, Chris Paul's soph and final season at WF was at 2.4. I am curious where you have seen anyone with a season or career 5-1.

CJ's ratio is pretty indicative of his age. Personally - and you're welcome to disagree - I think his basketball aptitude is off the charts and if he matures he should easily end up HOF.

We talking hall of fame at UNT or NBA??

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think those 2's main priority should be staying on a college basketball floor for a full year.

Jones has a lot of work to do before he is ready for the NBA, starting with working on his handle and jump shot. His defense is also not anywhere near where it needs to be for the NBA.

Of course, this is only based on the 1/2 season of college basketball that he has played.

He is not a talent on the level of Tony Mitchell, but very, very, very, very few are. He would be smart to play his full 4 years in college and work on his game, then see where he stands with the NBA.

• Upvote 3

UNT

Then yes, that's certainly a possibility haha.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think those 2's main priority should be staying on a college basketball floor for a full year.

Jones has a lot of work to do before he is ready for the NBA, starting with working on his handle and jump shot. His defense is also not anywhere near where it needs to be for the NBA.

Of course, this is only based on the 1/2 season of college basketball that he has played.

He is not a talent on the level of Tony Mitchell, but very, very, very, very few are. He would be smart to play his full 4 years in college and work on his game, then see where he stands with the NBA.

I completely agree. Unless he has worked harder than anyone else in the history of basketball this offseason, I don't see him elevating his game far enough to be drafted this year. There is a reason he isn't even mentioned as a top 100 NBA prospect for this upcoming year by anyone at this point, and remember, only 60 get drafted into the NBA each year. After 3 more very good or better seasons, possibly, especially if he excels next year and the year after in the absence of Mitchell and while playing in C USA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wouldn't TOTALLY rule it out, but he clearly needs more work based on what we saw last season. Both he and JW have potential NBA bodies, but I suspect they are both going to need a couple of years or more to develop several different aspects of their games. Now if we go something like Final Four and one of these guys somehow totally lights it up throughout the tourney then I guess you never know.

He's going to have to really elevate his game. Keep in mind he's been playing in the Sun Belt so far, CUSA is going to be a good test. For any of those who were CBB fans in the 90s, my beloved Chris Herren from Fresno St is an example of just how dominant you have to be get drafted from a mid major, and he got a chance to shine and did against some really top opponents.

I think that Chris Jones is a solid player and likely will be drafted when his college career is completed. He still has a long way to go and, as Harry said, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Brickbats to miner for stirring the pot. We'll have enough trauma when TM leaves.

• Upvote 1

The NBA scouts had no interest in CJ last year.. This was posted a long time ago but one of the people who posts onhere talked to the scouts and was told his assists to turnover rate was something like 2 to 1 and that is all he needed to know he is not interested.

• Upvote 1

This hypothetical is so off my radar until he can pass a few classes. Half a season doesn't propel anyone in the draft. I personally think he needs to focus on making the Mean Green go deep in the tourney this season, and then if, and only if scouts are throwing around "lottery" he might think about leaving early.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I missed this story - do tell.

untwillrise is referencing (or at least I assume) the over-inflated ego of Michael Sturns...probably the most arrogant player I came across in my time at UNT. He had a tattoo on his arm that read "Point God"...ironic considering he was deathly afraid of passing.

The 5'5" fire-hydrant was Malik Allen (I believe)...a walk-on at Memphis who turned Sturns over 3 or 4 times in '07 and completely changed the tide of that game. I insist to this day that had Lionel Brown not left the program...or we had another option at back-up point guard...we would've upset Memphis.

• Upvote 1

untwillrise is referencing (or at least I assume) the over-inflated ego of Michael Sturns...probably the most arrogant player I came across in my time at UNT. He had a tattoo on his arm that read "Point God"...ironic considering he was deathly afraid of passing.

The 5'5" fire-hydrant was Malik Allen (I believe)...a walk-on at Memphis who turned Sturns over 3 or 4 times in '07 and completely changed the tide of that game. I insist to this day that had Lionel Brown not left the program...or we had another option at back-up point guard...we would've upset Memphis.

Ding ding ding

• Upvote 1