UNT campus to go smoke-free in 2013

Just as noise and stress affects others in a negative way, even if they're quiet and courteous. So, I believe the campus should ban d-bags and children. Now, I know SOME people are courteous and manage to control their children in public places, but since I personally believe that is not the case with the majority of people with children, and that most let them run around like monkeys these days, the campus needs to ban them. No more children or d-bags on gameday, please.

An actual compromise would be to designate and limit smoking areas. You can, for instance (as I've seen it done) have it available at only ONE inconvenient back entrance to certain buildings.

And for the record, I don't smoke.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A state university is not private property. It is state property, funded by taxpayers, subject to legislative oversight, and governed by a board appointed by the governor.

Nice try, though.

Ok. Then it's land owned by the state. They have the right to make rules.

It's not like the government telling you that you can't smoke in a bar in which the government has no ownership interest. and damn sure not like the government telling that bar owner that he can't allow someone to smoke in his own business.

That is much more of.an infringement, which was the point.

The government telling you that you can't smoke on government property? Not so much.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

Just as noise and stress affects others in a negative way, even if they're quiet and courteous. So, I believe the campus should ban d-bags and children. Now, I know SOME people are courteous and manage to control their children in public places, but since I personally believe that is not the case with the majority of people with children, and that most let them run around like monkeys these days, the campus needs to ban them. No more children or d-bags on gameday, please.

An actual compromise would be to designate and limit smoking areas. You can, for instance (as I've seen it done) have it available at only ONE inconvenient back entrance to certain buildings.

And for the record, I don't smoke.

And old people too......they drive slow...clog up the line at Luby's and fall asleep way to early.....let's ban them from campus as well.

And old people too......they drive slow...clog up the line at Luby's and fall asleep way to early.....let's ban them from campus as well.

Good point. Old people driving slow cause as many accidents as a-holes going 110 mph. And old people walking slow make me late for things, which stresses me out, and exacerbates my ulcers, causing serious health problems. Have you ever tried to walk into a building on campus behind old people? The sad thing is, only the people in the front of the line were old when it started forming.

• Upvote 2

Would this apply to the tailgating area, parking lots or, assuming there are some, current designated smoking areas at Apogee? I don't know what percentage of our fan base smokes,but would this effectively tell them your money is no good here and you are no longer welcome? Would such a rule hurt attendance? For the record, I'm not a smoker.

Keith

smokers are taking away my rights to clean air.

Interesting. Which amendment to the Constitution defines this "right"?

And if you are so worried about your "right" to clean air, do you support the elimination of the automobile, airplanes, and urban drilling? All of which spews out more harmful particles than smokers by a factor of about a BILLION?

And a ban on smoking on a college campus, where several thousand people live, is not a compromise at all. A compromise would be designated smoking areas. A ban puts the safety of young students at risk when it forces them off campus to smoke, especially late at night. And before anyone says "Well, maybe they should quit," that is not YOUR place or the university's to dictate.

How many college students die from alcohol consumption each year? How many alcohol related automobile deaths? Gee, it seems that someone else's behavior puts my life at risk, so we should just ban it!! Will alcohol be the next thing banned on the UNT campus? That will make tailgating very dull. But then again, there will be those holier-than-thou types who will say it's not good for you anyways and we know what's best for you.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Does the proposed ban include all dorm rooms... I understand smoke free dorms and even smoke free floors ... but that could be a nightmare to enforce if included.. I support it in all other buildings and maybe just walking on campus.. I don't smoke and hate it ...but this seems a bit radical to disallow it where students actually live and it is not illegal or immoral....they have to live somewhere and dorms are public housing.... prohibition [ alcohol ] didn't work too well either.

Liberal/conservative idea....?? Conservatives want you to believe as they do on religious and social matters. Liberals.. not so much... more personal freedom.

Does the proposed ban include all dorm rooms... I understand smoke free dorms and even smoke free floors ... but that could be a nightmare to enforce if included.. I support it in all other buildings and maybe just walking on campus.. I don't smoke and hate it ...but this seems a bit radical to disallow it where students actually live and it is not illegal or immoral....they have to live somewhere and dorms are public housing.... prohibition [ alcohol ] didn't work too well either.

Liberal/conservative idea....?? Conservatives want you to believe as they do on religious and social matters. Liberals.. not so much... more personal freedom.

Dorms have been for a long period of time a smoke free environment. What bothered me as a resident of the dorms was that people smoked right out side the entrances. There is a state law that for all state facilities there is a distance from an entrance that you must be in order to smoke. I don't recall that law ever being enforced anywhere on campus. Enforcing that law might go a long way of discouraging smokers on campus in addition to busting them for littering.

I have yet to see an argument here that is against this ban that hasn't been put out there in support of smoking in public and/or private places for years and years. never worked then...isn't going to work now. Sorry smokers, get used to it...UNT will be a smoke free campaus...if not now, well soon enough. You know it and I know it...you are supporting a losing cause with this one...since when was UNT ever...ever seen to take a conservative position on something like this issue? Get over it and move along...better yet...stop smoking. How people can still be smokers in this day and age with all the knowledge they have about the health benefits of not smoking to both themselves and their loved ones is beyond me...and so many of these folks have college degrees and/or on on their way to college degrees. Amazing stuff.

And, please enough with the "Johnny jumped off the building and died, so I should do it too" arguments regarding alcohol usage....so, since you see one item as bad, let's just add another? Great logic college folks...great logic.

Hey, personally, I could care less about this issue...don't smoke, never have (stupid waste of money in my opinion), but the reality of it is...in today's world...smoking is a losing proposition and position. So, puff away, but know your puffing days on the UNT campus are numbered.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Get over it and move along...better yet...stop smoking drinking. How people can still be smokers drinkers in this day and age with all the knowledge they have about the health benefits of not smoking drinking to both themselves and their loved ones is beyond me...

Get over it and move along...better yet...stop smoking eating bad foods. How people can still be smokers bad food eaters in this day and age with all the knowledge they have about the health benefits of not smoking eating bad foods to both themselves and their loved ones is beyond me...

See how that logic can so easily be applied to anything deemed "not good for you?"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And don't think for a minute that the slippery slope is an absurd argument.

This nation has tried to ban alcohol once already, and today we have food police taking away "bad lunches" that kids bring from home.

Again, I say to those who cheer this sort of thing and will use any kind of twisted logic to justify trampling on the personal liberties of others just because you personally do not like smokers in your presence... be careful what you wish for.

"Get over it and move along...better yet...stop smoking drinking. How people can still be smokers drinkers in this day and age with all the knowledge they have about the health benefits of not smoking drinking to both themselves and their loved ones is beyond me..."

Flyer, are you in favor of allowing drinking as a student walks from one building to another?

Dorms have been for a long period of time a smoke free environment. What bothered me as a resident of the dorms was that people smoked right out side the entrances. There is a state law that for all state facilities there is a distance from an entrance that you must be in order to smoke. I don't recall that law ever being enforced anywhere on campus. Enforcing that law might go a long way of discouraging smokers on campus in addition to busting them for littering.

---Was not aware that smoking in dorms was prohibited... [ been a while ] I knew buildings in general were but not dorms. At the community college I work at... smoking has been moved rather distant from the door and patio areas. Not really related but my wife hates going to a certain drug store in town because of the same thing .... employees near the front entrance smoking. Personally I have no clue why people in the present world with all the info out there would smoke.... That is one thing for the good that has happened... lots of kids smoked when I was in college .... but on the flip side not once did I ever see/smell any marijuana at NT until I went back in grad school in '71. the world changes... sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad.

---People's view of the 60's is very warped.... the first half was the Beach-Boy 60's.... the last part...very different...more Easy Rider/Steppenwolf '60s or the image people sometime have.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

people smoke because they enjoy it...same reason why i drink beer and don't eat vegatables. i know there are health risks, but it's worth it to me.

That's cool. Everyone can do what they want, as long as they accept the consequences and pay for the body they abuse when the time comes.

Don't expect someone else to take care of you (figurative you, not you personally, Thor).

"Get over it and move along...better yet...stop smoking drinking. How people can still be smokers drinkers in this day and age with all the knowledge they have about the health benefits of not smoking drinking to both themselves and their loved ones is beyond me..."

I wanna play!!

"Get over it and move along...better yet...stop smoking being a homosexual. How people can still be smokers homosexuals in this day and age with all the knowledge they have about the health moral benefits of not smoking being a homosexual to both themselves and their loved ones is beyond me..."

• Upvote 3

I wanna play!!

"Get over it and move along...better yet...stop smoking being a homosexual. How people can still be smokers homosexuals in this day and age with all the knowledge they have about the health moral benefits of not smoking being a homosexual to both themselves and their loved ones is beyond me..."

So........who are u calling a homosexual?

I am not a smoker but I am not going to support policies or laws to keep smokers from smoking.

The rights of the smoker falls under Freedom of Speech and the part of the Constitution that says "...Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness." It is all about balance. You can have your rights so long as they don't infringe on my rights.

Is making them smoke outside not enough? Is making them smoke only in a designated area outside not enough?

The rights of the smoker falls under Freedom of Speech and the part of the Constitution that says "...Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

There is no part of the Constitution that says that. You're thinking of the Declaration of Independence.