CUSA Chatter

UNTexas

I was recently told to try Twisted Root. Any word on that place?

Twisted Root is one of my favorite burger joints. Great burgers and atmsphere. I'd recommend the Deep Ellum location. I'd call it quick casual rather than fast food, to use a restaurant industry term.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

Oh well, I tried. Maybe some will get it.

North Texas in the Sun Belt sucked. It will not suck in CUSA.

If that offends you then you aren't as smart as I thought. I'll be moving on now. I guess you can never "still be friends" no matter how much you want.

Your point is not that hard to grasp. Most here would agree with you....it's just the wording that comes off as a backhanded compliment. Maybe what you really meant was:

UNT did not SUCK as compared to the rest of the Sun Belt conference....but we definitely did suck as a regional player in FBS level college football.

As a member of CUSA, UNT has a chance to actually become a regional player.

Mind you, all of this argument is entirely centered around our football program, as most of our other sports have traditionally done a nice job regionally.

Hopefully we'll give you guys a run for the football championship this year...but I think that as long as Malzahn doesn't pull a Dodge (and totally destroy and undermine your defense in year #1), you guys have a chance to be the first Belt team to land a spot in the Top 25 (at least in the last 15 years).

• Upvote 2

Some of y'all are talking about various places to go in EP. Cattlemans Steakhouse is really good and if you are taking kids it's worth the trip out to Fabens. They have a zoo and old movie sets on the Ranch. La Posta in Old Mesilla is great plus it's a cool area outside Las Cruces.

I'll give a hearty "amen" to both those places.

La Posta in Old Mesilla is awesome. Also, the Twisted Root near Mockingbird Station is really good, but you have to try some of their game burgers. Their buffalo burger is sooo good.

I had their Kangaroo burger the other day and man it was pretty darn good...was not very gamey at all in the taste.

As for twisted root in general it isn't a fast food burger but more of a gourmet and cook when you order joint like a Fuddruckers or Scotty P's (for those in the Plano/Frisco/Allen area).

If that offends you then you aren't as smart as I thought. I'll be moving on now. I guess you can never "still be friends" no matter how much you want.

It makes perfect sense. This is what a number of us have been saying for years about the dire need to have Texas opponents at the FBS level. Those are the people are students grew up with and the ones with whom they work. We will now be playing schools we know. Win the SBC in either football or basketball didn't excite a lot of our fans as their friends and family had little idea who we beat. Win against UTEP, Tulsa, Rice and (to a lesser extent) UTSA and they know who they are and will care.

Yes, there are programs people knew in the Belt. Also there are programs in CUSA that local people will ask "who?!?" But there are fewer in both categories for us.

For fast food burgers, I'd rate them:

1. Whataburger

2. Sonic

3. In N Out

Oh, and as long as we are all weighing in, from what I can remember, I've never eaten tacos in El Paso.

if we are talking purely from a burger standpoint, I'd go

1.) In N Out

2.) Whataburger

3.) Sonic

however In N Out's fries are just terrible... and that's why Whataburger will always win... at least in my heart, and belly

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UNT

1983 8-4*

1984 2-9

1985 4-6-1

1986 6-4

1987 7-5

1988 8-4

1989 5-6

1990 6-5

1991 3-7-1

1992 4-7

1993 4-7

1994 7-4-1*

64-68-3

TS-San Marcos

1987 4-7

1988 4-7

1989 5-6

1990 6-5

1991 7-4

1992 5-5-1

1993 2-9

1994 4-7

1995 4-7

1996 5-6

1997 5-6

1998 4-7

55-76-1

why would what TxState did 13 years ago matter today

the period of time I had for North Texas-Denton was just prior to when they moved up to D1-A and the period of time form TxState is the same number of years just before they moved up to D1-A as well

not to mention that TxState is doing things like expanding their stadium 2 times with nice additions VS metal bleachers 12 miles from the field and TxState is putting a student fee in place before they even move up VS 15 years later

not sure how you think your comparison for a team the 12 years before and just until they moved up is relevant to another team from a period and time when they were not even considering moving up

Not sure intelligence is an issue. However, if you had rather move on than defend your position; go ahead. When your best response to who has a more stellar athletic program in the Belt than NT is "North Texas in the Sun Belt sucked", then it is probable best that you use your logic elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Cattleman's is really good. If you want to get just a tad bit more spendy and don't have kids along, drive in the other direction to the New Mexico border and enjoy steaks hand cut to order and a wine list that will blow your mind at Billy Crews.

I really like five guys. Never had a bad experience there. Tim loves love shack is closing in fort worths so7 area. Glad to see it go, wasn't a fan. Good friend on the east side of white rock lake has some tasty burgers as well as Fred's texas cafe also in the fort worth so7 area.

Good friend might have the best beer selection as well. Not in terms of quantity of selection, but in quality of selection.

Edited by MeanMag

NT's non stellar football can be easily tracked back to letting an one time successful coach run the program into the ground because he thought he was too good for the program and then making one of the worst football hc hires in NCAA history.

I'm going to disagree with the part in red. Strongly.

Dickey turned around a program that was in shambles but butted heads with the management. Besides turning that program around and recruiting, he also had to run a temp hiring agency and hire several new assistants a year because the program could not afford to keep anyone.

His health took a very bad turn and performance nose dived. Lets be honest, if he hadn't butted heads with management he would have been protected and given another year or two to turn it around. However, he did and two years after four straight bowl game seasons (AT NORTH TEXAS) he was out the door.

I also disagree with the part in blue, I think everyone involved will agree that was THE worst hire in NCAA history.

Now, Dan is the Man and he has a chance to take us to levels we have only dreamed about before...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Cattlemans Steakhouse is really good and if you are taking kids it's worth the trip out to Fabens. They have a zoo and old movie sets on the Ranch.

Fabens should be famous for two things: Cattleman's and being the birthplace of Cerebus.

I never did understand the love of Chico's Tacos, but all my aunts and uncles still rave about that place.

• Upvote 1

why would what TxState did 13 years ago matter today

the period of time I had for North Texas-Denton was just prior to when they moved up to D1-A and the period of time form TxState is the same number of years just before they moved up to D1-A as well

not to mention that TxState is doing things like expanding their stadium 2 times with nice additions VS metal bleachers 12 miles from the field and TxState is putting a student fee in place before they even move up VS 15 years later

not sure how you think your comparison for a team the 12 years before and just until they moved up is relevant to another team from a period and time when they were not even considering moving up

And what was TexasSWSTSTATETeachers-SM doing in 1975 when North Texas had a 3'rd string QB help lead the way in beating what today would have been a bowl bound (6 & 5) SEC Tennessee Volunteers? Yes, a few years ago for certain, but that is what is called NCAA D1 history and legacy such as we had in the 50's and 60's, too. (We also beat the UH Coog's 28 to 0 that same 1975 season as well).

You know you will not win any arguments over here so why the hell do you keep trying? Most every thing you post is of a confrontational nature and that gets old after while. Go to your school's board and stay there. You add nothing of interest to this board and you are becoming a bore and a nuisance.

GMG!

PS: And great for TSU-SM's stadium expansion (but with a track still inside it); yet after their Texas Tech game why the hell would they want all those empty seats for future games with schools who will bring no traveling fans to their stadium? We have passed the torch to TSU-SM to experience what we have for decades and still didn't get such a break as TSU-SM going from an FCS kind of existence straight to the FBS Sun Belt. Bobcat fans world-wide should be making the sign of whatever a Bobcat claw looks like.

GMG! !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

I'm going to disagree with the part in red. Strongly.

Dickey turned around a program that was in shambles but butted heads with the management. Besides turning that program around and recruiting, he also had to run a temp hiring agency and hire several new assistants a year because the program could not afford to keep anyone.

His health took a very bad turn and performance nose dived. Lets be honest, if he hadn't butted heads with management he would have been protected and given another year or two to turn it around. However, he did and two years after four straight bowl game seasons (AT NORTH TEXAS) he was out the door.

I also disagree with the part in blue, I think everyone involved will agree that was THE worst hire in NCAA history.

Now, Dan is the Man and he has a chance to take us to levels we have only dreamed about before...

Dickey's teams nosed dived way before his health issues. Almost all of Dickey's success is tied to one recruiting class and when the last of those were gone, Dickey was in trouble. I still don't know how that class was put together because no other year was remotely close. I guess constantly degrading your employer in this case, NT, could be mildly termed butting heads. If it was my decision, he would have been terminated about the second or third time that occurred no matter what his record was.

I have always given credit to DD for the great early Belt run, it was amazing. He was a good field coach but never seem to grasp that you had to recruit and being super critical of the school you were trying to recruit players to, might began to be difficult. He also had a recruiting scheme that worked well for a while until other peer teams copied it to an extent and were willing to work a lot harder.

Giving Dickey another couple of years would IMO been as big a disaster as hiring Dodge. At least, Dodge was not an embarrassment about every time he opened his mouth. Not even going into much the outlaw, poor academic environment that Dickey spawned at NT or the professional exit he made.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This thread is classic. It's like two not at all connected threads that collided at high speeds... LOL!

If Thread A leaves New York at noon travelling West at 60mph, and Thread B Leaves Los Angeles at 2pm travelling East at 80mph, What time will they meet in Kansas City?

Cattleman's is really good. If you want to get just a tad bit more spendy and don't have kids along, drive in the other direction to the New Mexico border and enjoy steaks hand cut to order and a wine list that will blow your mind at Billy Crews.

Billy Crews is great and was less than a mile from my old casa. They are great but Billy makes fun of the Cowboys in the bar. However, the awesome liquor store attached to the bar makes it worth while. FYI, ask to pick your steak and thickness and they will take you to do so. Awesome.

Edited by UNTexas