Source officially confirms Aston to take over at Texas

I never thought her heart was in it when she had her introductory press conference. How she recruited kids with a straight face, knowing she was a temp, is amazing to me. Now let's get someone who gives a damn about UNT, not just herself.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 5

I never thought her heart was in it when she had her introductory press conference. How she recruited kids with a straight face, knowing she was a temp, is amazing to me. Now let's get someone who gives a damn about UNT, not just herself.

How many women's games did you attend? Did you ever meet Coach Aston in person to know that she is such a self centered person? You actually think she knew she was leaving for Texas this year? From 5 wins to 15? How about the wins over Alabama, SMU, Oregon, and Arizona? This team also gave TX a scare. No, the teams we beat were not as talented as Baylor, but I don't recall any of other teams in any sport at UNT having as much OOC success in one season. As for as how this team finished, the injury bug caught up with them, and we did not have the depth to overcome it. Since you seemed to have closely followed Coach Aston from her press conference forward and were at all the home games at the pit, I am sure as an example of the injuries, you noticed Jasmine basically playing on one leg, because the bad one had to be surgically repaired at the end of the season. I guess you and I watched 2 different coaches this year.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Which would you rather have, a coach that loved UNT and finished middle of the conference pack every year, or a coach that was driven to be the best and won consecutive conference titles and tournaments?

Funny thing about those driven to be the best at what they do. They are also driven to be the best at the highest level of competition. I would not want a coach who would prefer to stay at UNT over accepting the same posistion at UT right now. The best want to beat the best, as they should.

Again, having coaches leave for better gigs helps this program.

Plus, it's kinda nice to get rid of the most devisive coach in Mean Green history. Oops, I meant GoMeanGreen history. ;-)

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

Which would you rather have, a coach that loved UNT and finished middle of the conference pack every year, or a coach that was driven to be the best and won consecutive conference titles and tournaments?

Or a coach that loses 7 of her last 9 games against Belt competition with the two victories coming against squads that combined to win just 2 conference games this season?

I'm just sayin,,,,

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3

Plus, it's kinda nice to get rid of the most divisive coach in Mean Green history. Oops, I meant GoMeanGreen history. ;-)

Fixed I think.

And if all of us giving an opinion on Aston now would show up in unison at a women's game next season, attendance might double. :rolleyes:

Edited by Green Dozer

P1 is right.

I loved Aston and like to think she was building this thing correctly, but she did not finish 2012 with a bang. Still, year 2 would have been nice to see how it played out.

Look, its the wins and losses that count, can't argue that. Otherwise, why keep score. But, the injury to Jasmine Godbolt really affected her to the extent she was 60% over the last part of the season. It was painful to watch her play because she was obviously in pain. She was as important to this team as any of the big 3 were to the men and it would have been a different outcome had she stayed healthy. I mean did Tony not miss Chris? Just saying.

• Upvote 2

Aston looked to be a great one. But with only one season as a legacy here, the question will always be "what if" - even if she fails in Austin (which I don't anticipate). Moving from 5 to 15 wins is pretty spectacular and I think her biggest advocates are right to point at that and say things were on the right track.

However, many of her biggest fans are also the most dismissive of Johnny Jones. His first year turnaround was 11 games (4 to 15). JJ then languished thru an injury plagued second year and several a few rebuilding seasons till his breakthru in the '06-07 campaign.

So, I guess what I am really trying to say is Aston will always be like a Rorschach test. With only one (still technically losing) season to judge, all there is to look at is unfinished potential. She could have been great/good/fair/poor but all we have is a comet across the sky.

Best of luck in Austin Coach Aston. Given how much I hate UT, I can't ever root for you though.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4

Didn't seem to matter to Texas, did it?

....just sayin.

Rick

Weird huh? Just imagine the beating RV would take were he to bring in a replacement coach who so limped to the finish line last season! He'd probably be accused of signing her while handing out resumes in a drunken haze at the Final 4?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The Aston hiring may not have been the great success that we had hoped, but overall it was a positive. It is much better to lose a really good coach after a year then having to pay off one's contract because they have accomplished nothing or actually hurt the program in their tenure.

Aston demonstrated what good coaching can accomplish and it didn't take a long period to do it. She also left a great recruiting class to further move the program upward. I hope someone is keeping them happy until a new coach is employed as well as keeping Hyder's , 2012 commit, interest in the program going.

Aston was not perfect, but she had a great year. I think the team did wear down in the second half of the year and although injuries didn't help; I didn't see the same determination and effort of earlier in the year. Aston herself didn't seem to have the same fire as earlier.

I would have liked to see what Aston could have accomplished here in three or four years, but now she is gone. The focus now is to get someone else that can be successful and build up a program that is substantially better in my opinion than it was a year ago.