FAU Staying In The Sun Belt

MeanGreen61

Florida Atlantic President Mary Jane Saunders said FAU will remain in the Sun Belt Conference after not receiving an invitation from the new conference made up of members of Conference USA and the Mountain West

“I can tell you we have not been invited to another conference,” Saunders said. “I think those decisions have already been made. I think it's finished now. ...We're staying in the Sun Belt.”

FULL ARTICLE

http://www.fauowlaccess.com/articles/183/fau-to-remain-in-sun-belt.aspx

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 3

Interesting ... although it could be a case that the Alliance hasn't made any invitations (official or unofficial) yet. However, the certainty of the statement makes me think that the decisions may have already been made and they are just waiting for the paperwork to be completed to officially committ everyone to the new conference. If so then you'd expect news to break quickly on who has been invited.

• Upvote 2

Hahaha. (+1 I gave you a -1 on accident).

Got it back for you.

FAU not getting in has to mean good news for us, right?

In and of itself, I would say not necessarily. FAU not being invited suggests the expansion will not be as broad as some have suggested--certainly any 24-team alignment would include FAU. And an expansion broad enough to include FAU would be more likely to include us.

But I think there are enough signs coming from different directions that we are in, regardless of what happens to FAU.

I am sorry UNT fans, but this FIU fan can no longer be silent. I have seen quite a few remarks on this forum about how FAU is a better fit for "The Alliance," than FIU. How our facilities are second rate, how our fan base is non-existent, and even some disparaging comments regarding our academics.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that FIU has outdrawn FAU the last two seasons. We had comparable attendance to UNT this season, keeping in mind that you had one game that drew nearly 30,000 people. Remove the Houston game from the equation and we actually had better average attendance. As is neither FAU, FIU or UNT drew as well as ULL, and when the difference in attendance is 300-400 people it isn't worth mentioning.

All this talk about our facilities being second rate is absolute nonsense. Our stadium does have a pressbox, it has 20 skyboxes, is being expanded to just shy of 30,000 seats, and will eventually have even more extensive skybox and concourse level facilities. Neither your stadium or our's is Bryant-Denny, so let's not pretend that there is some huge gulf in the quality of either stadium. Thought I will say, your stadium is very nice.

Furthermore, our strength and conditioning facilities and athletic training facilities are second-to-none in the SBC and are on par with many AQ's.

Finally, as far as academics are concerned, with the exception of Denver, we have consistently been rated by multiple publications as the top university in the SBC. We have over 3,000 professors for nearly 48,000 students, a budget of over one-billion dollars, and over $42 million in annual giving versus $7.5 million for FAU.

It goes without saying that we are better positioned, both athletically and academically, than FAU for "The Alliance," and belong in the conversation just as much as UNT.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

I am sorry UNT fans, but this FIU fan can no longer be silent. I have seen quite a few remarks on this forum about how FAU is a better fit for "The Alliance," than FIU. How our facilities are second rate, how our fan base is non-existent, and even some disparaging comments regarding our academics.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that FIU has outdrawn FAU the last two seasons. We had comparable attendance to UNT this season, keeping in mind that you had one game that drew nearly 30,000 people. Remove the Houston game from the equation and we actually had better average attendance. As is neither FAU, FIU or UNT drew as well as ULL, and when the difference in attendance is 300-400 people it isn't worth mentioning.

All this talk about our facilities being second rate is absolute nonsense. Our stadium does have a pressbox, it has 20 skyboxes, is being expanded to just shy of 30,000 seats, and will eventually have even more extensive skybox and concourse level facilities. Neither your stadium or our's is Bryant-Denny, so let's not pretend that there is some huge gulf in the quality of either stadium. Thought I will say, your stadium is very nice.

Furthermore, our strength and conditioning facilities and athletic training facilities are second-to-none in the SBC and are on par with many AQ's.

Finally, as far as academics are concerned, with the exception of Denver, we have consistently been rated by multiple publications as the top university in the SBC. We have over 3,000 professors for nearly 48,000 students, a budget of over one-billion dollars, and over $42 million in annual giving versus $7.5 million for FAU.

It goes without saying that we are better positioned, both athletically and academically, than FAU for "The Alliance," and belong in the conversation just as much as UNT.

Prom Prom?

if the New Conference increases to 22, and UTEP moves west, the MWC adds SJSU and Utah State to get to 11 schools. this leaves CUSA with 4 openings, 2 of which should be filled by UNT and FIU.i don't have a clue who the other 2 programs will be. ECU and Marshall are really pushing for east coast teams, but the only one i can come up with is UNC-Charlotte,which is just developing a football program.big gaps,with no representation in Georgia,Tennessee,Kentucky, or Virginia.