UNT Football on National TV

Harry

DENTON — For the second time in school history, the Mean Green football team will be featured at home on ESPN or ESPN2 when it hosts Louisiana-Lafayette next season.

The nationally televised game will give UNT an opportunity to showcase not only the athletic department, but the university as a whole.

“It puts the entire university on a public stage and allows us to talk about some of the great programs the university has,” Senior Associate Athletic Director Eric Capper said.

The game is part of the Sun Belt Conference contract with ESPN and will be played on Tuesday, October 16.

With the game being played in the middle of the week, the athletic department staff has already started planning with school administration in order to get as many people to the game as possible.

“We are already working with administration to see how we will get students out on that night and if we will be able to move some classes,” Athletic Director Rick Villarreal said. “We want to show the country that it doesn’t matter what day we play. We have an opportunity to show how special this place really is.”

Read more: http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2012/mar/15/unt-football-team-national-tv-espn-louisiana-lafay/

Some of us would still say turn the Denton Chamber of Commerce loose on this project.

The Denton C of C produced more fan turnout for a past Baylor game (which North Texas won) than any other group I can remember having had such success in the almost 40 years I've been observing promotions for Mean Green football.

GMG!

But that would mean we would have to give credit to the City of Denton and the community for being supportive of UNT if they are able to bring in lots of people. What would we be able to criticize then?!?!

The stadium can accommodate everything that national television needs, from proper lighting to the correct wiring, Capper said.

Those are the two things they chose to highlight about our ability to facilitate a national crew- proper lighting and wiring? That's kind of randomly interesting. I might have gone with the multiple press boxes, or media rooms, or something along those lines. Kind of funny I think.

• Upvote 1

But that would mean we would have to give credit to the City of Denton and the community for being supportive of UNT if they are able to bring in lots of people. What would we be able to criticize then?!?!

Didn't we play Baylor 10 years ago? Hmmmmm.....I'm trying to think of what the City of Denton has done in the way of promotions for UNT since then.

• Upvote 2

Now, you just know what my answer is going to be. B)

National coverage, a full stadium, and the Green Brigade does it's usual pre-game (and half time) GRAND MOSEY onto the field. No thundering drum cadence (even though we allegedly have one of the premier drum lines in the nation) to get the band onto the field. Just a nice rim-tap. And when they get through with their GRAND MOSEY, they won't bother with something like a FANFARE, like all those other GREAT SHOW BANDS OF BIG TIME FOOTBALL....who BTW, DON'T HAVE GREAT MUSIC SCHOOLS.

I just can't wait...... :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I, for one, am looking forward to this game. People in other states who know and love us will be able to see me and the kids sitting in the end zone watching the game and whatnot.

Besides, we owe Louisiana a beating for what they did to us last year against our third team QB that McCarney thinks is the backup; and, I want to be there for it.

Now, you just know what my answer is going to be. B)

National coverage, a full stadium, and the Green Brigade does it's usual pre-game (and half time) GRAND MOSEY onto the field. No thundering drum cadence (even though we allegedly have one of the premier drum lines in the nation) to get the band onto the field. Just a nice rim-tap. And when they get through with their GRAND MOSEY, they won't bother with something like a FANFARE, like all those other GREAT SHOW BANDS OF BIG TIME FOOTBALL....who BTW, DON'T HAVE GREAT MUSIC SCHOOLS.

I just can't wait...... :rolleyes:

<Opening the can of worms>

For the record- schools like USC, LSU, and UT all have great schools of music.

And secondly- the GB is going to get the same amount of air time regardless of what they play. Even the really big schools only get like three seconds of chopped up footage during pregame. And that usually serves as B roll stuff while random ESPN or school graphics are put over the B roll montage. The only time I've ever even seen/heard the marching band doing a show is during a bowl game in January. There no other games to cut to during half time, and they've already given the updates- so they just throw it to the band for a few minutes.

I'll bet that the GB gets less than 15 seconds of pregame or half time love with both audio and visual.

• Upvote 2

<Opening the can of worms>

For the record- schools like USC, LSU, and UT all have great schools of music.

And secondly- the GB is going to get the same amount of air time regardless of what they play. Even the really big schools only get like three seconds of chopped up footage during pregame. And that usually serves as B roll stuff while random ESPN or school graphics are put over the B roll montage. The only time I've ever even seen/heard the marching band doing a show is during a bowl game in January. There no other games to cut to during half time, and they've already given the updates- so they just throw it to the band for a few minutes.

I'll bet that the GB gets less than 15 seconds of pregame or half time love with both audio and visual.

And what is that 15 seconds of exposure and free advertising worth to a national TV audience? SilverEagle is right, cut the "fly like and Eagle" bullsh!t and play some traditional fanfare type music. This is our time. Make it count.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And what is that 15 seconds of exposure and free advertising worth to a national TV audience? SilverEagle is right, cut the "fly like and Eagle" bullsh!t and play some traditional fanfare type music. This is our time. Make it count.

If they even play the audio. When was the last time you remember hearing/seeing the marching band for long enough to draw an opinion other than, "yep, that's a marching band."

They just show the marching band to add to the production value. To add affect (or effect? who knows).

It doesn't matter what they play- it's not going to make the air anyways.

Or the casual fan watching this REAL nationally televised game could be saying, "Hey, I'm tired of the "traditional fanfare" bullsh!t. This band is playing Fly Like an Eagle. Cool!" You're right. This is our time, and like it or not, Fly Like an Eagle is one of our songs.

• Upvote 3

Or the casual fan watching this REAL nationally televised game could be saying, "Hey, I'm tired of the "traditional fanfare" bullsh!t. This band is playing Fly Like an Eagle. Cool!" You're right. This is our time, and like it or not, Fly Like an Eagle is one of our songs.

Yeah, you're probably right. Why have something similar to this......

when we could have the usual 50 yard mosey and no fanfare prior to playing the fight song and/or "fly like an Eagle", for pre-game/half-time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

when we could have the usual 50 yard mosey and no fanfare prior to playing the fight song and/or "fly like an Eagle", for pre-game/half-time.

Your link is to a big 10 network broadcast.

As Mr. Schumann pointed out earlier, ESPN is not going to film the band walking onto the field, playing, and exiting the field in it's entirety. When has that ever happened? Pregame and halftime is where the talking heads as well as commercials reside.

If the Green Brigade is lucky, they may get 10 - 15 seconds of their halftime performance on TV, and ESPN would be dumb to use that time for anything other than footage of them playing music. Am I right?

The Green Brigade fanfare/pageantry thing is really for people who are at the stadium and has no bearing on TV at all. All the TV audience will know about the Green Brigade is that the are an excellent band.

Sadly for the Green Brigade (as awesome as they are), their 10 - 15 seconds may be heavily usurped by the UNT Dancers... much to the delight of every male watching.

EDIT:

Besides, What would the Green Brigade do? Form an "N" & "T"? Then RV would get mad because they did not spell out "North Texas", and Lee Jackson would get mad because they did not use the "U" as well... It's a lose-lose situation for the Green Brigade. :thumbsu:

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

Your link is to a big 10 network broadcast.

As Mr. Schumann pointed out earlier, ESPN is not going to film the band walking onto the field, playing, and exiting the field in it's entirety. When has that ever happened? Pregame and halftime is where the talking heads as well as commercials reside.

If the Green Brigade is lucky, they may get 10 - 15 seconds of their halftime performance on TV, and ESPN would be dumb to use that time for anything other than footage of them playing music. Am I right?

The Green Brigade fanfare/pageantry thing is really for people who are at the stadium and has no bearing on TV at all. All the TV audience will know about the Green Brigade is that the are an excellent band.

Sadly for the Green Brigade (as awesome as they are), their 10 - 15 seconds may be heavily usurped by the UNT Dancers... much to the delight of every male watching.

EDIT:

Besides, What would the Green Brigade do? Form an "N" & "T"? Then RV would get mad because they did not spell out "North Texas", and Lee Jackson would get mad because they did not use the "U" as well... It's a lose-lose situation for the Green Brigade. :thumbsu:

All bolds get a +1 IMO. So many good points in that post.

Edited by kalebschumann

what's the point? could the frat guys even see anything like this from their couches?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Green Brigade fanfare/pageantry thing is really for people who are at the stadium and has no bearing on TV at all.

Yeah, I guess I agree. If the Band won't provide any pageantry for the fans, then why should they do it on the off chance that just a few seconds will be put up on the national broadcast.

All the TV audience will know about the Green Brigade is that the are an excellent band.

....who's pageantry sucks.

Sadly for the Green Brigade (as awesome as they are), their 10 - 15 seconds may be heavily usurped by the UNT Dancers..

...who are actually putting on a show....instead of a walking concert.

But don't take my word for it. See for yourself the grand entrance that the Green Brigade provides.

I showed this to my wife and after about 10 seconds she said "when are they going to get around to doing something?" Then she said.."are they auditioning to be the house band for the AMC series "The Walking Dead"?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

If they even play the audio. When was the last time you remember hearing/seeing the marching band for long enough to draw an opinion other than, "yep, that's a marching band."

They just show the marching band to add to the production value. To add affect (or effect? who knows).

It doesn't matter what they play- it's not going to make the air anyways.

Affect=Influence; Effect=Results

Since we are known for our music we might get an extra 15 seconds IF it's unique and something worth watching.