UNT Football on National TV

Harry

But that would mean we would have to give credit to the City of Denton and the community for being supportive of UNT if they are able to bring in lots of people. What would we be able to criticize then?!?!

Those are the two things they chose to highlight about our ability to facilitate a national crew- proper lighting and wiring? That's kind of randomly interesting. I might have gone with the multiple press boxes, or media rooms, or something along those lines. Kind of funny I think.

As someone who works in broadcast sports, I really appreciate lighting and wiring. Especially wiring (we call it cabling and I was VERY happy to hear Apogee is pre-cabled.).

You're right though, there are more sexy things to promote. I envision a sideline report about the junction box the camera op plugged into.

"Thanks for that report, Bob. Let's talk about lighting for a minute..."

Edited by EagleD
  • Upvote 1

The Green Brigade fanfare/pageantry thing is really for people who are at the stadium and has no bearing on TV at all.

Yeah, I guess I agree. If the Band won't provide any pageantry for the fans, then why should they do it on the off chance that just a few seconds will be put up on the national broadcast.

All the TV audience will know about the Green Brigade is that the are an excellent band.

....who's pageantry sucks.

Sadly for the Green Brigade (as awesome as they are), their 10 - 15 seconds may be heavily usurped by the UNT Dancers..

...who are actually putting on a show....instead of a walking concert.

But don't take my word for it. See for yourself the grand entrance that the Green Brigade provides.

I showed this to my wife and after about 10 seconds she said "when are they going to get around to doing something?" Then she said.."are they auditioning to be the house band for the AMC series "The Walking Dead"?

That isn't the pregame show. This is halftime. Not like the pregame Michigan show you put up earlier.

--

Here is the pregame show from 1996. It had a fanfare, the school song, and a pretty awesome arrangement of America the Beautiful.

Green Brigade 1996

This is the closest thing I can think of for what you're looking for. But the GB will never march high knees and run around the field like a bunch of crazy college kids, it's just not their thing.

Some of us would still say turn the Denton Chamber of Commerce loose on this project.

The Denton C of C produced more fan turnout for a past Baylor game (which North Texas won) than any other group I can remember having had such success in the almost 40 years I've been observing promotions for Mean Green football.

GMG!

PMG, I wouldn't give the Chamber of Commerce much credit here. The reason that particular game was heavily attended was 1.) It was against Baylor, who even though they were awful at the time, was still a member of Big XII and former SWC royalty that Denton folks very rarely got to see in Fouts, and 2.) we were very good.

In Denton, like it or not, the turnout is dependant on the opponent first, then if we are good or not. When we have been good and played a team someone cared about (heard of), we have drawn good crowds (over 20k). When we have been good and played SBC/SLC teams, then attendance hasn't really been that good, except for a championship game (NMSU in 2002). When we are bad and playing a name school at home, we get good crowds (see past games in Denton versus TCU, SMU, Rice, baylor, and UH). When we are bad and playing SBC/SLC schools, attendance has ranged from poor to how-in-the-world-do-you-have-a-college-football-team-at this school(see home games against NMSU in 2000, WKU in 2007).

That isn't the pregame show. This is halftime. Not like the pregame Michigan show you put up earlier.

--

Here is the pregame show from 1996. It had a fanfare, the school song, and a pretty awesome arrangement of America the Beautiful.

Green Brigade 1996

This is the closest thing I can think of for what you're looking for. But the GB will never march high knees and run around the field like a bunch of crazy college kids, it's just not their thing.

Meh. It takes too long (as usual) to get around to the fanfare. I do like the uni's of that era.

I'm not interested in the band "jumping around". I'm mainly interested in a high energy entrance (it doesn't have to be high stepping, but something quicker than their usual shuffle/mosey) and then quickly getting to the fanfare that has some "pow", and a fast, and energetic, transition to the fight song.....also played with a "Pow".

Why is that so friggin hard? Especially for one of the (allegedly) best schools of music in the Southwest. The Band is there to get the fans pumped up and energized. Why does every other D-1 band in the country "get it" but the Green Brigade?

Edited by SilverEagle

Meh. It takes too long (as usual) to get around to the fanfare. I do like the uni's of that era.

I'm not interested in the band "jumping around". I'm mainly interested in a high energy entrance (it doesn't have to be high stepping, but something quicker than their usual shuffle/mosey) and then quickly getting to the fanfare that has some "pow", and a fast, and energetic, transition to the fight song.....also played with a "Pow".

Why is that so friggin hard? Especially for one of the (allegedly) best schools of music in the Southwest. The Band is there to get the fans pumped up and energized. Why does every other D-1 band in the country "get it" but the Green Brigade?

For what it's worth- the GB is getting new uniforms. I've seen them. They look pretty awesome.

I give up on this argument.

• Upvote 1