Interesting TV idea for North Texas/Sun Belt

stebo

I was reading the Belt Board and the other Belt fans were discussing the Benson hire. Securing a better TV package should be one of his top priorities - the deal with ESPN is pretty weak. One of the fans mentioned "out of the box" thinking and mentioned Netflix as a Network to air the games.

Personally, I think that is a brilliant idea. Netflix has turned to producing its own content because they are having a hard time getting quality programming. Netflix is looking for original programming and could pump some money into the league that takes the first leap. I would love to have access to any game from the Belt. ESPN360 is great but if you don't subscribe to one of the participating ISP's - the options to watch get pretty expensive. And nobody has perfected smooth streaming to my TV the way that Netflix has. I have tried them all: iTunes, Blockbuster Pass, HBO Go, Amazon Instant, etc - none of them work as well as Netflix does. Can they do it live? I am not sure. I remember reading something about YouTube trying to get into the sports streaming business. I would imagine that the biggest problem would be that ESPN would have a problem with it but if we can license our games (the Belt) to Cox and Charter, why not Netflix? Just not sure if they can pull it off live... but maybe with a 15 minute buffer it would be possible.

The infrastructure is already in place at most schools with the internet feeds. You get Netflix to pay for the rights and break new ground in terms of production quality. I could even see Jub Jub and and Hank as the home broadcasting team.

What does everyone think? Good idea or keep pushing for ESPN? My main concern with ESPN has always been the MAC route - where more games on TV mean more weeknight games - which equals lower attendance numbers. Kind of a catch-22 for the little guys out there.

Edited by stebo
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Do you really expect Netflix to still be in business in a year or two? They already have taken a big hit with their PR goof last year, trying to split the mail & online business, and to charge for both.

TIVO faded away once the cable & satellite companies recognized the demand for DVRs and started supplying them. I expect the same to happen with Video On Demand and Netflix.

And even if the cable/satellite companies don't have a monopoly, there's still plenty of competitors - like Amazon, and likely Google.

I'll throw this one out - how about distribution through Wireless carriers' 4G networks?

I actually do expect them to be in business because of the changes they made. They were on course to getting killed (financially) with the old setup and had to move away from it. They handled it terribly and I was mad... but I got over it after considering dropping the service. Once I got past the anger, I realized that for that price - I was still getting a hell of a deal. For about the price of a burrito at Chipotle, I get a pretty damn good product (unlimited and without commercials). It is basically our household "movie channel" now.

Will the others catch up? Probably - but they will never have the penetration that Netflix has with phones, all game systems, various streaming boxes, etc... They really have become like another network. And with millions of subscribers hungry for sports, they could add something that they have never been able to get away with - commercials. I would even pay extra to have a "sports" package for my Netflix (with the non-BCS games like the Belt, MAC, MWCUSA, etc). Football is just the start - you have year round programming with basketball and other sports.

The problem is that the number of huge sun belt fans is pretty low. You've gotta be pretty into your school to go take the extra step to seek it out through netflix, much like MG premium for example. You may capture a few more this way, but I'm not sure it's enough to support the amount of $ required to capture all the games. A lot of people watching the MAC games aren't MAC fans at all, just general college football fans flipping through the channels.

• Upvote 1

Do you really expect Netflix to still be in business in a year or two? They already have taken a big hit with their PR goof last year, trying to split the mail & online business, and to charge for both.

TIVO faded away once the cable & satellite companies recognized the demand for DVRs and started supplying them. I expect the same to happen with Video On Demand and Netflix.

And even if the cable/satellite companies don't have a monopoly, there's still plenty of competitors - like Amazon, and likely Google.

I'll throw this one out - how about distribution through Wireless carriers' 4G networks?

Netflix regained over half of their customers after their mistake. TIVO is still alive and has the best quality DVR. They aren't the biggest player, but they are doing fine.

Distribution through 4g is a good idea, but that should only be part of the solution. An app that broadcasts SBC games can be offered on the app store and android market without licensing with a specific provider.

• Upvote 1

I would be first in line at a sports bar to watch that S. Alabama versus W. Kentucky Sun Belt Conference classic televised on Netflix--me and about 5 others.:rolleyes:

The SBC has been good for UNT but has largely been a symbol of which un-ranked football teams after 12 years is still toward the top of the list of its main short-coming. La Tech was smart to get out when it did and since then we have beat them very, very few times for recruits until Apogee Stadium opened and brighter new prospects for our program evolved.

I wish the SBC well, but hopefully it won't matter soon for North Texas. Why get excited about a vanilla milk shake when a DQ blizzard with all our favorite ingrediants is now well within our reach?

GMG!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The problem is that the number of huge sun belt fans is pretty low.

It's hard to be a huge Sun Belt fan when the games aren't on TV. It's a brilliant idea for the Sun Belt to approach Netflix. Imagine having a Sun Belt Network on a reliable streaming provider like Netflix. The schools could put their own content on it to supplement what the network could provide.

The problem is that the number of huge sun belt fans is pretty low. You've gotta be pretty into your school to go take the extra step to seek it out through netflix, much like MG premium for example. You may capture a few more this way, but I'm not sure it's enough to support the amount of $ required to capture all the games. A lot of people watching the MAC games aren't MAC fans at all, just general college football fans flipping through the channels.

So then how do you gain more fans if you're a SBC team? Wouldn't this be a way?

It's hard to be a huge Sun Belt fan when the games aren't on TV. It's a brilliant idea for the Sun Belt to approach Netflix. Imagine having a Sun Belt Network on a reliable streaming provider like Netflix. The schools could put their own content on it to supplement what the network could provide.

I could be wrong (but probably not since I have Netflix), but they do not offer live content.

I highly doubt they would completely change their technology (which they would have to do in order to offer something live) for Sunbelt football games.

Or are you suggesting the Sunbelt Network send them recordings of all the games and then Netflix offers it as part of their regular catalog?

This idea actually has merit in my opinion and Benson should think about pursuing this option. I'd subscribe to Netflix if they did this, as I suspect many other SunBelt fans would step up as well. Excellent idea and seems to be a win-win...a win for Netflix in adding otherwise non-customers and a win for the Sunbelt in a better deal and in getting to actually see the road games.

Could be some "incentives" in the agreement based on the number of subscribers gained by Netflix, etc. Stebo, I agree and think this could help Netflix "stay around" and prosper. EXCELLENT idea...hopefully, Benson and the SunBelt will look into it...anyone know how to send a note to the Conference offices suggesting this? Stebo...you should send the first note...your idea!

Pretty interesting idea...deserves some serious consideration...

I think this idea has some merit as well. The only thing that worries me is Netflix has struggled as of late. That said it's a great service and my family uses it all the time. And getting ESPN 3 on the xbox has been awesome as well.