There are a girl in my junior high who...

...was ugly and kind of awkward and gangly. In high school, she wasn't much hotter. She did get on the drill team. But, I mean, I went to a high school with an enrollment of over 3,000, so there were tons of girls on the drill team.

A couple of years into college, an old high school friend asked if I'd heard about her. I said, no. He told me she had become a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader.

So, we got tickets to a game, and sure enough, there she was in the Game Day program and on the field shaking the pom-poms and whatnot, and hotter than fish grease.

Why is this relevant to UNT football?

Well, I think our little UNT is like this girl. When we had Fouts and were I-AA, we were pretty much just another girl at school. Not real outstanding. Like the junior high version of the girl, nice, but not really catching anyone's attention.

We got back into I-A and, after a few seasons, began to win some championships. Our profile was raised a little, but not to a huge degree. Like the girl joining the drill team in high school.

Now, we've got Apogee, decent basketball, and some real coaches pretty much all the way around. I don't think it will be too long before we are surprising people like this gal did when we all discovered she was a DC cheerleader.

So, kids and fans and TCU lurkers wondering where you're going to buy your next bag of weed now that your sources have been busted, don't despair: we will one day be hotter than fish grease. Then, we will align the conferences instead of them realigning us.

Book it, Dan-o!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

...was ugly and kind of awkward and gangly. In high school, she wasn't much hotter. She did get on the drill team. But, I mean, I went to a high school with an enrollment of over 3,000, so there were tons of girls on the drill team.

A couple of years into college, an old high school friend asked if I'd heard about her. I said, no. He told me she had become a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader.

So, we got tickets to a game, and sure enough, there she was in the Game Day program and on the field shaking the pom-poms and whatnot, and hotter than fish grease.

Well, I think our little UNT is like this girl. When we had Fouts and were I-AA, we were pretty much just another girl at school. Not real outstanding. Like the junior high version of the girl, nice, but not really catching anyone's attention.

We got back into I-A and, after a few seasons, began to win some championships. Our profile was raised a little, but not to a huge degree. Like the girl joining the drill team in high school.

Now, we've got Apogee, decent basketball, and some real coaches pretty much all the way around. I don't think it will be too long before we are surprising people like this gal did when we all discovered she was a DC cheerleader.

So, kids and fans and TCU lurkers wondering where you're going to buy your next bag of weed now that your sources have been busted, don't despair: we will one day be hotter than fish grease. Then, we will align the conferences instead of them realigning us.

Book it, Dan-o!

Well, the difference I see between us and your jr. high friend who eventually "blossomed" is "motivation" and "drive". She was obviously driven to get better and better. But getting dressed up in her new Dallas Cowboy uniform (our Apogee) came in the proper order. She had to earn her spot on the squad and get her new uni by working on her looks, her attitude, and her PRESENTATION.

My stance is that North Texas got it's new uni (Apogee) BEFORE we improved/upgraded our looks, attitude and presentation. Our attendance still sucks, our traditions still suck, and our game day pageantry REALLY sucks.

To use your analogy, we're wearing that new Dallas Cowboy uni, but we're still looking like we did in Jr. High.

• Downvote 2

What an analogy, it has been decades since I have viewed a woman wanting to be a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader as a favorable pursuit. I do think and hope that NT has finally got it together enough to move up the athletic food chain. There should be a limit on how long a program can remained mired in the bottom tier of fb divison football.

• Upvote 1

Book it, Dan-o!

I got to know her when we both first started college. I've looked back and regretted listening to my a-hole "friends" who talked about how homely she was, when I could have thrown them under the bus and kept having a good ole time with that fun loving gal. Of course I was a jerk and a moron for listening to those guys.

• Upvote 1

I bet she had to put out. What does that mean for us? Also, can you provide some before and after pictures?

I don't have a before picture, but here is her own quote:

"I met my husband by a friend of mine setting us up because I needed a date to my high school prom."

She didn't even have a date to the prom. Berkner, at the time, had over 3,000 students, sophomore through senior, and she didn't have a date.

I'm telling you, we can be as big a success as this gal became. She says it is the thing here - "Persistence."

http://www.dallascowboyscheerleaders.com/history/watn.cfm?id=5FFACF6C-AD4B-F4D1-CFE72EC875952ADF

http://4847373.weebly.tal.ki/20100924/kristin-pavuk-147756/