Newest Merger "News"

shaft

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/mwc-cusa-all-sport-merger-in-hands-of-lawyers-29963

"While Conference USA and the Mountain West already have TV broadcast deals in place with Fox Sports, ESPN, CBS Sports and Comcast/NBC Universal, a broadcast contract for a newly-branded, 22-team league might provide a more significant windfall for the schools involved - if TV networks agree to tear up existing deals.

A source also indicated to SbB this week that Mountain West conference television outlet The Mtn., has recently informed some of its employees that the network may cease operation - at least as an exclusive Mountain West outlet - after the MWC baseball tournament in late May."

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Would we even WANT to go to some ridiculous 22-team conference?

I think at the end of the day, this "merger" or "alliance" or whatever it's called will fall through.

I certainly wouldn't want to be part of something that had a great potential to fall apart.

However, we so need to have some conference mates that "student/alum/local resident-joe/jane-six-pack" can recognize. As good as they might be in any given year, FI-Who, or FA-Who, or WK-Who, or ULM just doesn't do it for the general public.

Now, we still need to be working (and very hard) at building/re-building our own traditions and sense of loyalty to our beloved University (my recent rants). So that we get the maximum number of butts-in-the-seats regardless of opponent. However, getting someone like Tulsa, New mexico, NMSU, Colorado State, Wyoming etc...into Denton on a regular basis only enhances the "traditions-rebuilding" effort.

Even Texas State and UTSA are much better choices than the "who?" Universities that I listed above.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Would we even WANT to go to some ridiculous 22-team conference?

I think at the end of the day, this "merger" or "alliance" or whatever it's called will fall through.

If North Texas is not part of the "22" then I think we've been doing something wrong in Denton much longer than most will want to admit and God help those who will have to do the explaining and damage control with that one. If market is the driving force with this, then we should be OK with this expansion.

I also think WAC-16/2.0, ie, the "22" does not last past 3-4 years, either, but whatever is left will probably still be better perception-wise than where we are now. Honestly, I like the Sun Belt as it became a lifeline when it was our only choice post-Big West football implosion, but it's just that the national media and football poll voters don't seem to like the SBC and haven't from its beginning. .

UNTflyer (as I said above) inasmuch that I agree with you that the "22" alliance will not last but what I think would be created as a conference post-22 split will still be better for North Texas than the 'Belt (and even probably a more regional conference with no more 1,000 mile trips as we've had in the SBC). A new conference created by such a projected "22" split-up would probably have to add a UTSA, etc, etc, etc, but that is not a bad option since most enjoy a trip to San Antonio.

Also, Is UAB going to make it in CUSA if they don't get a stadium which for now seems doubtful? Even that (unfortunate) for UAB scenario could help North Texas but I guess like everyone else, we'll just have to wait and see.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

A new conference created by such a projected "22" split-up would probably have to add a UTSA, etc, etc, etc, but that is not a bad option since most enjoy a trip to San Antonio.

UTSA brings nothing in terms of improving the perception of any conference, I don't care how nice a trip it is.

UTSA brings nothing in terms of improving the perception of any conference, I don't care how nice a trip it is.

Well, as far as local students/alums/dentonites are concerned, neither does ULM, FIU, FAU and WKU. I believe that UTSA and Texas State are significantly better for us in the catagory of "butts-in-the-seats".....especially if it's a November game.

• Upvote 3

I doubt that the 22 number is carved in stone. That's the number that was in the two combined/projected leagues. The number could be anywhere from 18 to 24. The final number may very well depend on the TV contract. I expect that old contracts for the two conferences will be cancelled because of the changes in membership.

The conference may last for only the length of the contract. However, the old Southern Conference had 23 teams for a period of four years and eighteen for ten years and they did that without television to hold them together. When it does decide to split it would likely be similar to the east and west divisions of the allied conference so there would be little lost by the breakup. I don't believe that the SBC will surpass them during that time.

I have some ideas about the makeup of the conference dependent upon the number of teams agreed upon. I do not believe that UTSA will be a part of the alliance. It would be unprecedented to select a team that has two more years to reach fully-accreditable FBS status. The Sun Belt Conference seems more suited for now. I must say though, I didn't believe that South Florida would have been chosen for the Big East when they were. In these wacky NCAA years anything can happen.

• Upvote 1

The 22 number is interesting.

This the second mention of that number. UNLV's AD has previously said they were looking at 18, 22, o4 24.

22 is also CUSA (9) + MWC (8) + WAC (5-less the expandess UTSA & TXST). But there's been no talk about completely disolving the WAC and I really don't think the original MWC members want to be back in bead with those schools.

Of course there is also a contradicting report out there about number being 18.

Fresno State's AD said in a radio interview that they are looking at forming one conference, with Hawaii staying football only, implying UTEP would move over, the need to add on team in East and future expansion would be address in a few years. But to make that scenario work it would mean adding a football only team.

Well, as far as local students/alums/dentonites are concerned, neither does ULM, FIU, FAU and WKU. I believe that UTSA and Texas State are significantly better for us in the catagory of "butts-in-the-seats".....especially if it's a November game.

If we're counting on other schools to fill 20% or more of our stadium as a long-term plan, then we are doing something VERY WRONG.

Do you disagree with that?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If we're counting on other schools to fill 20% or more of our stadium as a long-term plan, then we are doing something VERY WRONG.

Do you disagree with that?

If we're not working on ways to actually FILL Apogee stadium for every home game, we're doing something even worse.We don't need them to bring as many as Army, Navy, or even KSU, but they need to bring more than FIU or FAU. I like going to a game where there is crowd excitement, and yes, some of that coming from the visitors' side.

Honestly, if we consistently get crowds of 30,000, I'm ok with 5,000 of those from the other side. Let's get the attendance numbers higher before we start talking about who we don't want to be in the stands.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2

The advantage of playing in a upgraded conference are obvious; bigger annual payouts, more bowl opportunities, proximity, and more recognized competition.

But banking on an attendance bump from the other teams fans is a mistake. More recognizable competition helps you turn out YOUR fan base. How well the other team travels is simply a bonus.

With that said 30k is an unrealistic standard. What mid-majors pulls those kinds of numbers on year-after-year?

The more interesting question is who be in a 22-team conference?

West

1.Hawaii

2.Fresno State

3.Nevada

4.UNLV

5.Wyoming

6.Air Force

7.Colorado State

8.New Mexico

9.UTEP

10.Utah State

11.San Jose State

East

1.Marshall

2.ECU

3.Memphis

4.UAB

5.Southern Miss

6.Tulane

7.Tulsa

8.Rice

9.UNT

10.LA Tech

11.FAU

Edited by shaft

The more interesting question is who be in a 22-team conference?

West

1.Hawaii

2.Fresno State

3.Nevada

4.UNLV

5.Wyoming

6.Air Force

7.Colorado State

8.New Mexico

9.UTEP

10.Utah State

11.San Jose State

East

1.Marshall

2.ECU

3.Memphis

4.UAB

5.Southern Miss

6.Tulane

7.Tulsa

8.Rice

9.UNT

10.LA Tech

11.FAU

22 seems like such an odd number. You can't evenly break that into sub divisions so either you're playing 10 division games a year (and none from the other division) or you're not playing everyone in your division (which stinks). The only thing I can think of for 22 is they want to grab all the markets they can without losing any current teams while leaving enough teams so not to kill the WAC or Sun Belt.

What might be cool (and I emphasis *might*) is if the NCAA allow this conference to have a bit of a mini playoff. You increase the conference to 24 with four, six team divisions. You then take those four division winners and have a four team bracket to decide a conference champion.

22 seems like such an so odd number. You can't evenly break that into sub divisions so either you're playing 10 division games a year (and none from the other division) or you're not playing everyone in your division (which stinks). The only thing I can think of for 22 is they want to grab all the markets they can without losing any current teams while leaving enough teams not to kill the WAC or Sun Belt.

What might be cool (and I emphasis *might*) is if the NCAA allow this conference to have a bit of a mini playoff. You increase the conference to 24 with four, six team divisions. You then take those four division winners and have a four team bracket to decide a conference champion.

I'm not sure in today's NCAA that any conference is looking out for the welfare of another; for certain the Big East was not as those who raided it were not either.

As long as the Wright Waters (and his successor) have the S. Alabama's, App States, TSU-SM, UTSA and Georgia State-types out there the Sun Belt will not lack for members. According to many on message boards everywhere, the WAC is already dead and its no longer a secret that North Texas would prefer to be elsewhere and if we get that I believe even the cost of travel for all our varsity teams will be cut to some extent (among many other things even more important such as perception which is a battle we've been losing for decades now). O conference gods please give us just one big smile).

GMG!

PS: Cable TV Stuff:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

The cable network (?) documentary on "Namath" is quite outstanding for those who remember Broadway Joe when he was playing or saw videos after he retired. Has anyone since Namath had such a quick dropback and release with (most the time) accuracy?

And I wonder if ESPN's continual running of PonyGate with their 30/30 series can somehow most strangely be a positive for their program here at recruiting time? No conspiracy here, but seriously. Whats the saying about "no matter what you say or write about us just spell our name right? (After all, the ending of the PonyGate documentary has an upbeat "yall come help us rebuild and turn this thing around" plea from Eric Dickenson and Craig James). Never discount SMU's influence in the TV industry and I'll swear to hell freezes over that former ESPN personality & SMU great Craig James had much influence with B.E. officials about his alma mater, ie, "the School that Doak Walker built into never ending infamy" and I guess he had some photos of Ford on its opening day for a crowd shot to show them, too, (although we can't say much on that subject for the moment, at least):rolleyes:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 could be two divisions of 10 full members + football only.

The Big Ten (which had 11 teams) went years of having teams only play 8 conference games. So it easy to see how this could work.

West

1.Hawaii*

2.Fresno State

3.Nevada

4.UNLV

5.Wyoming

6.Air Force

7.Colorado State

8.New Mexico

9.UTEP

10.Utah State

11.San Jose State

East

1.Marshall

2.ECU

3.Memphis

4.UAB

5.Southern Miss

6.Tulane

7.Tulsa

8.Rice

9.UNT or LA Tech

10.FAU or FIU

11.Temple*

* = football only

But banking on an attendance bump from the other teams fans is a mistake. More recognizable competition helps you turn out YOUR fan base. How well the other team travels is simply a bonus.

Shaft hit nail on head. Rice wouldn't bring many more visiting fans to Apogee than FIU. Rice would, however, bring out more UNT fans, especially marginal UNT fans.

GBT

• Upvote 2