MTSU getting Top 25 votes

Keith7

Middle Tennessee State clocked in "tied for 30th" in the USA Today/ESPN poll receiving 21 points - the same amount as Gonzaga. The Blue Raiders are 17-2 on the season and luckily for us we'll get them at home on Feb. 2.

MTSU's only losses came in double OT to a 12-6 Belmont team and a head-scratcher road loss to UAB.

My question for you is: Are they for real?

Edited by Keith7

Until they play us. I'm very confident we take them down at home, I just really, really hope they muster a ranking before then.

Me too. Mitchell playing well, heart of Sun Belt schedule and a Top 25 opponent could make for the perfect storm to fill the Super Pit.

• Upvote 3

Middle Tennessee State clocked in "tied for 30th" in the USA Today/ESPN poll receiving 21 points - the same amount as Gonzaga. The Blue Raiders are 17-2 on the season and luckily for us we'll get them at home on Feb. 2.

MTSU's only losses came in double OT to a 12-6 Belmont team and a head-scratcher road loss to UAB.

My question for you is: Are they for real?

just a small clarification.

and fwiw, Sun Sentinel writer and FAU blogger Ted Hutton tweeted after MT won @ FAU: #FAU gets blown out in its own house 67-53. MTSU now 17-2, 6-0 in Belt and has won nine straight. Best team in the Belt, by far

That theory cannot be proven.

NT had 9,100 for #1 DePaul on 12/16/1980. NT lost 92-86. For you sticklers out there, it was technically NTSU at the time.

Since then, NT has played four ranked opponents at home, for which I cannot find attendance numbers.

#9 Memphis on 2/14/1983. 80-63 Loss.

#14 Louisiana Tech on 2/9/1985. 90-72 Loss.

#23 Oklahoma State on 11/28/1989. 94-66 Loss.

#25 Tulsa on 12/30/1999. 113-77 Loss.

The last time NT beat a ranked opponent: 2/27/1971 at #15 Louisville by a score of 79-73.

The last time NT beat a ranked opponent at home: 2/10/1970 vs. #11 Drake by a score of 93-81.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

MT looks great. The problem with them cracking the Top 25 is the strength of schedule. Their RPI is 66 and IMO that is a legit ranking looking at the team higher than them. 66 is DAMN good, and far better than anyone else in the belt.

If they keep winning, their record will be very hard to ignore, regardless of RPI.

NT had 9,100 for #1 DePaul on 12/16/1980. NT lost 92-86. For you sticklers out there, it was technically NTSU at the time.

Since then, NT has played four ranked opponents at home, for which I cannot find attendance numbers.

#9 Memphis on 2/14/1983. 80-63 Loss.

#14 Louisiana Tech on 2/9/1985. 90-72 Loss.

#23 Oklahoma State on 11/28/1989. 94-66 Loss.

#25 Tulsa on 12/30/1999. 113-77 Loss.

The last time NT beat a ranked opponent: 2/27/1971 at #15 Louisville by a score of 79-73.

The last time NT beat a ranked opponent at home: 2/10/1970 vs. #11 Drake by a score of 93-81.

We beat 17th ranked Arizona State in 1976. (7,076) We were 19th a week or two before or after this game. We ended the season taking down West Texas in the "Battle of Texas". (8,813) WTSU had also been in the top 20.

• Upvote 4

We beat 17th ranked Arizona State in 1976. (7,076) We were 19th a week or two before or after this game. We ended the season taking down West Texas in the "Battle of Texas". (8,813) WTSU had also been in the top 20.

The media guide does not show the 1976 ASU game as being against a ranked team, and the crowd (which would be the 8th largest in history) is not on the list. You are right about the WTSU crowd, but according to the media guide they were not ranked at the time.

I probably trust you more than the media guide though.

I'm excited to see what promotions the AD is planning for this epic collision!!!!

It's the MUTS so... "Adopt a Dog" night, sponsored by KNTU :whistling1:

Adopt a dog

Adopt a big dog

Unless you live

In an apartment...

I don't think I've heard that PSA this year, but unfortunately it's ingrained in my brain and associated with Mean Green basketball. :sick:

• Upvote 1

The media guide does not show the 1976 ASU game as being against a ranked team, and the crowd (which would be the 8th largest in history) is not on the list. You are right about the WTSU crowd, but according to the media guide they were not ranked at the time.

I probably trust you more than the media guide though.

The 7,000 + crowd was against Bradley. My bad! A 108-88 NT romp. We only had 5,430 against the Sun Devils. Arizona State was ranked 17th in the United Press International (UPI) poll. Sports Editor, Marcia Lundy, wrote the article. I remember the buzz afterwards in us beating a higher ranked team. ASU was lead by All-American and future Dallas Maverick, Scott Lloyd.

The 7,000 + crowd was against Bradley. My bad! A 108-88 NT romp. We only had 5,430 against the Sun Devils. Arizona State was ranked 17th in the United Press International (UPI) poll. Sports Editor, Marcia Lundy, wrote the article. I remember the buzz afterwards in us beating a higher ranked team. ASU was lead by All-American and future Dallas Maverick, Scott Lloyd.

That makes sense. The media guide only uses the AP poll.

They play at a good Vanderbilt team the Saturday before they come to Denton. While I would love for them to beat the Commodores, I'm not sure I want them to do so the game before they play us. Regardless, they have a good chance of rolling into town with 20 wins.

This is great for the Sun Belt, and great for NT to have them at home. 16 days and counting.

They play at a good Vanderbilt team the Saturday before they come to Denton. While I would love for them to beat the Commodores, I'm not sure I want them to do so the game before they play us. Regardless, they have a good chance of rolling into town with 20 wins.

This is great for the Sun Belt, and great for NT to have them at home. 16 days and counting.

I would rather they beat Vandy, so much the better for us to knock them off a high horse. After a big win like that they could be in line for an emotional letdown...