A Look Back @ the 2011 North Texas Signing Class

Harry

1. Jamone Greer - CB, 5'11", 165 lbs, Kempner HS, Sugarland, TX - Coached by James Brown. Offers from North Texas and Utah State - Committed to North Texas - 7/26/10 - Did not have his academics and was supposed to grayshirt and rejoin the team.

2. Derek Akunne LB, 5-11, 225, 4.5, North Garland HS, TX - Coached by David Farris. Offers from Colorado State, Air Force, Western Kentucky and North Texas - Derek had a solid first season as a true freshman, playing in 10 games logging 10 solo tackles and 10 assists (20 total tackles) and 2.5 tackles for a loss.

3. * Brent Osborn - pro-style QB, 6'4", 210 lbs, 4.74 40, Northwest JUCO, Senatobia, MS - Coached by Ricky Woods. Offers from Murray State and Tennessee-Martin (Visited UNT 12-17-10). Osborn didn't get much playing time this season only three games passing for 105 and 2 touchdowns. He did provide some insurance as the #3 behind Andrew McNulty and allowed UNT to redshirt Cooper Jones. Osborn will have two more seasons to prove his mettle with the coaching staff.

4. Cooper Jones - pro-style QB, 6'5", 200 lbs, 4.8 40, Lone Oak HS, TX - Coached by Dean Lasseter, Dave Campbell's Texas Football 2010 Top 20 QB. Rivals ratings - 3 stars/5.5 rating. Offers from North Texas, Southeastern Oklahoma State, Air Force and Stephen F. Austin. Jones redshirted in 2011.

5. Andrew McNulty - pro-style QB, 6'2", 205 lbs, Iowa City HS, IA - Coached by Dan Sabers. Had interest from Iowa, Iowa State and Northern Iowa. McNulty had his moments, including scoring the first touchdown in Apogee stadium against Houston. McNulty rushed for 105 yards in 7 games (1 TD) and passed for 352 and 1 touchdown. Earned the #2 spot behind Derrick Thompson. Seemed like he was thrown into some of the toughest game situations against the toughest teams, ie Tulsa. Erratic at times, he did start to show signs that he was improving as he got more minutes.

6. Micah Thompson - DT, 6-5, 300, Jones High/OK - Coached by Dave Martin. According to Rivals was offered by Tulsa and had interest from OSU. Thompson was redshirted and moved to the offensive line where Coach McCarney believes he will be a very good player.

7. Grant Shaw - OL, 6-5, 285, Forney HS - Coached by Kevin Rush. Shaw had a New Mexico offer. Shaw redshirted in 2011.

8. *Andrew Power - Arizona Western CC, 6-5, 265, 4.65 - Coached by Tom Minnick. Offers from Memphis, Nevada, UTAH State and UNT OFFER Originally COMMITTED TO TENNESSEE. Power had a solid junior season with UNT. Power played in all 12 games, had 16 receptions for 142 yards and a touchdown. A good blocker who can also be a part of the passing game, he will be one of the better returning tight ends in the Sun Belt this year.

9. Michael Stojkovic (pronounced STOCK O VICk), LB/Safety/ATH, 6-2, 215, 4.6, ValleyForge Prep/Katy HS - Coached by Glen Foley. "Stock" had a big year for North Texas earning a starting outside linebacker spot as a true freshman. The stats don't lie: Stock played in 12 games with 27 solo tackles and 21 assists for a total of 48. He had 5.5 tackles for a loss resulting in 23 lost yards. But wait there is more...two sacks, two pass deflections and a forced fumble! He is already one of the biggest hitters on the team and has a great nose for the football.

10. Kerry Swarn, Safety, 6-2, 190, Dallas Lincoln - Coached by James Argenti. Decommitment from Arizona. Swarn redshirted in 2011.

11. Daryl Mason - Defensive End, 6-4, 225, Rowlett HS - Coached by Kiff Hardin. Offers from Colorado and Memphis. Mason had a very productive true freshman start for North Texas as a situational pass rusher and then had a shoulder injury about halfway through the season (after playing in 6 games). He should be healthy in the spring and looks to be another solid signing for McCarney.

12. Austin Orr- SDE, 6'4", 245 lbs, 4.9 40, Clear Lake HS, Seabrook, TX - Coached by Troy Aduddell. Offers from New Mexico State, Montana State and Texas State. Orr had a freak accident right before two-a-days in the Fall and was redshirted. He should be 100% for Spring training. Just looking at him on the sidelines I would be you that he is closer to 260 now and could end up at defensive tackle before all is said and done.

13. Zach Whitfield - RB, 5-11, 200, 4.49, Sherman HS TX - Coached by Gary Kinne. 1st Team 9-4A Selection. Had interest from Tennessee after his junior season and offers from NMSU and Sam Houston. Whitfield redshirted in 2011. With Dunbar's graduation he will be in the running for the #1 spot in 2012.

14. Alex Lincoln (Scout Profile) - DE, 6-4, 255, 4.9, Cibolo HS TX - Lincoln played limited snaps in 8 games as a true freshman and had 2 tackles and a fumble recovery. I think he was a solid sign and has some good days ahead for the Mean Green.

15. Terell Brooks - DT - 6-4, 294, 4.83, Duncanville HS TX - Coached by Jeff Dicus. Had offers from Arkansas, Oklahoma State and SMU. Brooks left the team for personal reasons. Really the biggest bust of this class because he clearly had a lack of desire to play D-I football.

16. Antoinne Jimmerson - RB - 5-9, 192, 4.5 - DeSoto HS, TX - Coached by Claude Mathis. Antoinne redshirted in 2011 and will fight for the top spot at RB in 2012.

17. Freddie Warner- CB - 5-10, 176, 4.5 - Pinkston (Dallas) HS - Coached by Gerald Jones. Had offers from Colorado State and UTEP prior to commiting to Texas Tech. Probably had the most impact of any true freshman on the defense in 2011. Only played in 7 games due to a foot injury but was the best cover corner on the field. Logged 18 tackles (15 solo) and shared in a sack. Was one of the best special teams players and actually caught up to FIU's TY Hilton to save a touchdown. Should be ready to go this spring and should be a returning starter at cornerback in 2012. Great, great signing for the Mean Green.

18. Laramie Lee - ATH - 5-10, 180, 4.5 - Chapel Hill HS (East Texas) - Lee played in 11 games and had 10 tackles (9 solo). His biggest impact was in special teams where he was able to block a kick. Looks to be a solid signing for the Mean Green and you have to think he could make an impact at the safety position.

19. Chaz Sampson - WR, 6'5", 185 lbs., Timberview HS, Mansfield, TX - Coached by Mark Walker. Offers from Pittsburg, Tulsa and UTEP. Had previously committed to Tulsa. Sampson redshirted in 2011.

20. Cyril Lemon - OL, 6-3, 315 - Marble Falls HS - Coached by Kyle Futrell. Offers from Missouri, Houston, La. Tech, Rice, Florida International, New Mexico State. Can you say stud? Lemon was amazing starting at guard in all 12 games as a true freshman and at times dominating. Received All Sun Belt recognition for his efforts. If this guy stays healthy he could be one of the best linemen we have had a North Texas. Without question, the best recruit of the 2011 North Texas class.

21. Chad Polk - LB, 6-0, 210, 4.6 - Woodrow Wilson HS - Coached by Bobby Estes. Offers from Baylor and Sam Houston. Polk redshirted in 2011.

22. Travis Ellard - OL, 6-4, 275 - Deer Park HS - Ellard redshirted in 2011.

2011 Freshmen Players Participating: 10

Total Redshirts: 10

Lost players: 1 (2 if Greer does not resurface)

This post has been promoted to an article

I think your comments are spot on. This class could really turn out to be one of the best in recent memory especially if the redshirt players produce like expected. This class and the current 2012 class could really turn this program around.

• Upvote 2

Nice analysis...

Brooks seemed to have some real potential... that was a HUGE bummer. I like how you left it open ended for him to possibly resurface. that would be nice, but I'm not holding my breathe.

Our O-line looks to be in good shape for the next couple of years. 1 played every game(?) and 4 others redshirted plus cam feldt? wow man. That should be a lot of beef to come in and provide lots of competition and depth. Maybe we can get Vito to stop referring to QB at UNT as being the most dangerous job in America... and of course, turn the next crop of RB's into stars!

we shall see about the rest of the d-line recruits.

I wonder if any of these DE's will end up being DT's. Interesting...eat boys eat...

I am very interested to see where cooper jones ends up on the team. Intriguing size and all...and rated well out of high school. Guess we'll see...

spring football story lines

• Upvote 1

Plenty of contributors which is great but in addition I see 4 difference makers 3 of which are FR. I expect the next class to be even better with a full year to recruit. You stack a few of these classes on top of each other and we have a contender in the Sun Belt. Yes, I said contender because the Sun Belt is getting much more competitive. This already is fun to watch and will only get better.

In a few years we might just see us win a few of those SEC/Big XII games we schedule. We should be competitive when we start our series against that Big East team from Dallas.

• Upvote 1

Great thread, Harry. The stat I heard the other day about Lemon is the most impressive stat I've heard in quid a while. Zero penalties the whole year as a starting true freshman. Pretty amazing. If he carries that discipline over to off season workout and improvement, look out Sun Belt next year.

I also like the fact that Coach Mac was able to redshirt half the freshman class (someone tell Vito that there WAS some talent left over from the Dodge days). I would love to see this remain as a pattern during Coach Mac's tenure.

Next year should be very interesting.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

Plenty of contributors which is great but in addition I see 4 difference makers 3 of which are FR. I expect the next class to be even better with a full year to recruit. You stack a few of these classes on top of each other and we have a contender in the Sun Belt. Yes, I said contender because the Sun Belt is getting much more competitive. This already is fun to watch and will only get better.

In a few years we might just see us win a few of those SEC/Big XII games we schedule. We should be competitive when we start our series against that Big East team from Dallas.

I agree - we should be at least 7-5 next year - going to a post season game.

• Upvote 1

I wish I could agree about winning a few of those SEC/Big XII games. There is a huge difference in playing LSU, Alabama, UT, and OU (as we do), and playing Ole Miss or Texas Tech. I don't have a problem playing SEC/Big XII games, I just wish sometimes we would play one that isn't ranked in the top 5.

• Upvote 1

I wish I could agree about winning a few of those SEC/Big XII games. There is a huge difference in playing LSU, Alabama, UT, and OU (as we do), and playing Ole Miss or Texas Tech. I don't have a problem playing SEC/Big XII games, I just wish sometimes we would play one that isn't ranked in the top 5.

If UT continues down the current path, I can see the 2014 UT game being competitive.

Please let Mac (I do less with more) Brown hang around that long.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Good analysis Harry. Only one player, Brooks, did not pan out. And maybe two if Greer doesn't resurface. At worst only two from the 2011 signing class. I could be wrong, but that seems to be fewer "dropouts" than in previous classes.

Regarding Lemon, think about his accomplishments. True freshman started all 12 games, no penalties, and made All Sunbelt.

Mark it- Barring injury and continuing on the same trend, Cyril Lemon will be UNT's next All-America by his Senior Year.

• Upvote 2

I read today where Deloss and Mack are ironing out a contract extension.

I really hope so. Brown does have a national title, but the fact that he is going the JUCO route (even if they are really good Jucos) shows a little panick on Brown's part. He is only as good as his assistants, and 7-5 ain't gonna cut it in Austin very much longer.

Here is to hoping those 5-7 and 7-5 seasons continue.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Good analysis Harry. Only one player, Brooks, did not pan out. And maybe two if Greer doesn't resurface. At worst only two from the 2011 signing class. I could be wrong, but that seems to be fewer "dropouts" than in previous classes.

Regarding Lemon, think about his accomplishments. True freshman started all 12 games, no penalties, and made All Sunbelt.

Mark it- Barring injury and continuing on the same trend, Cyril Lemon will be UNT's next All-America by his Senior Year.

I think Z. Orr has a chance barring injury. He was our best player this season before he was hurt.

• Upvote 1

Nice analysis...

Brooks seemed to have some real potential... that was a HUGE bummer. I like how you left it open ended for him to possibly resurface. that would be nice, but I'm not holding my breathe.

Our O-line looks to be in good shape for the next couple of years. 1 played every game(?) and 4 others redshirted plus cam feldt? wow man. That should be a lot of beef to come in and provide lots of competition and depth. Maybe we can get Vito to stop referring to QB at UNT as being the most dangerous job in America... and of course, turn the next crop of RB's into stars!

I wonder if any of these DE's will end up being DT's. Interesting...eat boys eat...

I am very interested to see where cooper jones ends up on the team. Intriguing size and all...and rated well out of high school. Guess we'll see...

I'm not trying to "bring down" a player, but I'm telling you folks, I would be highly surprised if Cam ever starts a game here. Cam only had one offer, and that was from Arkansas who's recruiting coordinater at the time was his dad's best friend. I think people are expecting a dominant player since he came from an SEC program, but that was in fact his only FBS offer due to the relationship his dad had at the time. Cam doesn't have the footwork or motor Boone has. Again, I would love to see the kid succeed, but I expect Boone to be a lot better before all is said and done. And I think it would be wise to let the mean green faithful know now, instead of everyone expecting him to be an immediate improvement over Matt Tomlinson at RT next season. It wouldn't surprise me to see a FR come in and take the RT spot. Who knows who will be starting their next season, it could be Micah Thompson, LaChris Anyiam, Grant Shaw, Chase Walling, or Sam Rice. The good thing about all these players is they have legit FBS size and then some. OL should be a bright spot for the next 3 or 4 years with Johnson, Y'Barbo and Lemon here for 3 more years plus the incoming recruits.

Edited by ntmeangreen11
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not trying to "bring down" a player, but I'm telling you folks, I would be highly surprised if Cam ever starts a game here. Cam only had one offer, and that was from Arkansas who's recruiting coordinater at the time was his dad's best friend. I think people are expecting a dominant player since he came from an SEC program, but that was in fact his only FBS offer due to the relationship his dad had at the time. Cam doesn't have the footwork or motor Boone has. Again, I would love to see the kid succeed, but I expect Boone to be a lot better before all is said and done. And I think it would be wise to let the mean green faithful know now, instead of everyone expecting him to be an immediate improvement over Matt Tomlinson at RT next season. It wouldn't surprise me to see a FR come in and take the RT spot. Who knows who will be starting their next season, it could be Micah Thompson, LaChris Anyiam, Grant Shaw, Chase Walling, or Sam Rice. The good thing about all these players is they have legit FBS size and then some. OL should be a bright spot for the next 3 or 4 years with Johnson, Y'Barbo and Lemon here for 3 more years plus the incoming recruits.

Rivals shows him with offers from Baylor and Texas Tech, and ESPN had him rated as the #93 overall player in the country in 2010.

• Upvote 3

Again, I'm not trying to bring down the player, I watched him and Boone play in high school and I never saw anything that impressed me that much. I also know some people who played with him and Boone and I just don't see him as an impact lineman at the FBS level. That highlight tape is good and all, but if you'll notice he's blocking 150-190 pound DE's in the clips. Boone will have a bigger impact here than Cam will. I'd love for Cam to prove me wrong of course, he has the size to do it but size alone won't cut it at this level. I just wouldn't want people to get their hopes up too much that he'll be an All SBC type player next season, because that's not the case. He might play somewhere down the line, but I don't expect it to be next year.

Always leery of the major college transfer who couldn't crack the 2 deep at the big school. Hopefully there were some special circumstances in Cam's case and he can come in and be a contributor immediately.

We need look no further than Tyler Stradford to realize that 4 star ranking and major college transfer doesn't necessarily mean the kid can play FBS football.

Again, I'm not trying to bring down the player, I watched him and Boone play in high school and I never saw anything that impressed me that much. I also know some people who played with him and Boone and I just don't see him as an impact lineman at the FBS level. That highlight tape is good and all, but if you'll notice he's blocking 150-190 pound DE's in the clips. Boone will have a bigger impact here than Cam will. I'd love for Cam to prove me wrong of course, he has the size to do it but size alone won't cut it at this level. I just wouldn't want people to get their hopes up too much that he'll be an All SBC type player next season, because that's not the case. He might play somewhere down the line, but I don't expect it to be next year.

Totally understand and appreciate your insight.

Nice analysis...

I talked to Brooks the day he left the team.

His "issues" happen to college players on occasion and could have been worked around, but he had already made up his mind.

I think he was planning on enrolling at "Truck Masters" or something like that.

And, from what he related of his converstaion with Coach Mac, he would not be welcomed back.

• Upvote 1

I've heard some of the same concerns about Cam, but he was a 4 star rated recruit. It seems Boone is expected to be a Center when all is said and done. I don't know if Fortenberry stays at Center, but he is highly versatile. Footwork is key for a OT, so I really don't know who takes Tomlinson's spot, but I like our options, and as ntmeangreen11 stated, it is nice to have true FBS size and depth.

"13. Zach Whitfield - RB, 5-11, 200, 4.49, Sherman HS TX - Coached by Gary Kinne. 1st Team 9-4A Selection. Had interest from Tennessee after his junior season and offers from NMSU and Sam Houston. Whitfield redshirted in 2011. With Dunbar's graduation he will be in the running for the #1 spot in 2012."

Baylor made a late push for Zac also, at least according to Zac's mom.