BREAKING NEWS!

FirefightnRick

Even though Mean Green Club members received three emails reminding us about last weeks men's basketball game against a non scholarship team that helps no one's RPI, I have yet to get anything as of 2:30 today reminding me about tonight's women's game against the University of New Mexico and it being new coach Karen Aston's debut at the Fabulous Super Pit.

Coach Aston walked away from a good job at UNC Charlotte where she has skins on the walls to return to NT to dig our women's program out of the toilet. So I thought I would try and do a little bit of promotions here on a fan message board for her since it looks like this is all the $%#$%# help she and the Lady Mean Green are gong to get?

Amazing!

P.S. THIS IS NOT FOOTBALL FREAKIN RELATED! :growl:

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 8

Even though Mean Green Club members received three emails reminding us about last weeks men's basketball game against a non scholarship team that helps no one's RPI, I have yet to get anything as of 2:30 today reminding me about tonight's women's game against the University of New Mexico and it being new coach Karen Aston's debut at the Fabulous Super Pit.

Coach Aston walked away from a good job at UNC Charlotte where she has skins on the walls to return to NT to dig our women's program out of the toilet. So I thought I would try and do a little bit of promotions here on a fan message board for her since it looks like this is all the $%#$%# help she and the Lady Mean Green are gong to get?

Amazing!

Thanks Rick - I think all of us are 100% behind Coach Aston and are thrilled at the progress she is already making with the women's basketball program (BIG WIN OVER UTA)! I agree she deserves more promotion of this important first home game. We do still need to keep the thread subjects separate so I moved this over to the other sports thread. I left a link to it here on the football board, and it was submitted through our twitter account so it will be seen by a lot of eyes. Thank you for giving Coach Aston and her team the attention that they deserve! GMG!

Amazing!

I had no idea. Wish I would have known earlier- I would have planned to make the drive out to see her home debut.

• Upvote 2

Amazing!

haha you, I thought this was news about conference realignment.

• Upvote 1

Never thought of supporting women's basketball until we met Coach Aston at the Plano Coaches' Caravan. She's sharp and deserves our support. She can turn this thing into what OU and Baylor have with their women's teams...but, apparently, more people need to wake up to it.

We've accomplished quite a bit over the past 18 months, so its difficult to criticize the athletic department too much...

...BUT...

...the athletic department is the initial public relations vehicle for all sports. So, they really seem to have dropped the ball here.

The "check the website for schedule" mentality doesn't work. Many of us do. But, most of us have jobs and families and whatnot that occupy 99% of our thought processes during the day. Checking the website everyday for news isn't likely a reality for most.

The athletic departments' job is to keep the alumni and fans informed. I don't know how else to put it. I do my job here, they do their job there. I can't do both.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just checked my e-mail - I received a message about tonight's game, dated yesterday:

Subject: Article: WBB Hosts Season Opener Against New Mexico

From: "North Texas Women's Basketball" <mail@neulionnetwork.com>

Date: Sun, November 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Anyone else? I get email about all the sports - Football, Men's BB, Women's BB, Soccer, Volleyball, Track, Swimming, etc.

Maybe you need to update your preferences:

Mean Green Mail

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just checked my e-mail - I received a message about tonight's game, dated yesterday:

Subject: Article: WBB Hosts Season Opener Against New Mexico

From: "North Texas Women's Basketball" <mail@neulionnetwork.com>

Date: Sun, November 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Anyone else? I get email about all the sports - Football, Men's BB, Women's BB, Soccer, Volleyball, Track, Swimming, etc.

Maybe you need to update your preferences:

Mean Green Mail

I and many others i ttalk to daily get email about ALL the sports too. None of us ever got anything about tonight's women's game until 4:30 tonight. And when I opened up the email tonight's women's game is 9th down on the list.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I think when you sign up/ renew your MGC there should be an option to " receive text message for UNT alerts". Emails are becoming a thing of the past.

Just simply check a box that says u would like to receive alerts via text messages.

If the A.D. has someone's e-mail address, they need to e-mail them about things like this. Whether or not they ask for it.

• Upvote 2

I heard about this game in at least 3 different ways:

** There was no Coach Dan show tonight because of the WBB game. This was discussed during the Troy game by MGRN.

** Hank mentioned the WBB game at least twice during the radio broadcast of the Troy game on the MGRN.

** Twitter....during the day, and then I got about 30 tweets from the game.

Felt like I was there, while I was dining with a customer in STL.

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm being told by one of the 20 students who showed, among the 300 total in attendance that there was absolutely nothing done on campus to promote this game?

I like many here didn't listen to the MGRN during the Troy game because it was on ESPN3 as the Sunbelt game of the week.

And I don't use twitter nor does anyone I know at work use it or any of my family or friends do either. I do use face book from time to time but only to check it when the wife tells me there is something worth reading on there or post photos of the kids for family to share.

Good game tonight by the way. It's a shame so few people saw it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2