No Respect from KXAS 5 sports

UNTDude

I was listing to the game on KNTU 88.1.

After the game ended, George and Hank were talking about the post game highlights, and locker room interview

with Coach McCarney.

Suddenly KNTU switched to the Guyer play off game, right in the middle of George's post game review.

The two guy's calling the Guyer game are said, this just in "North Texas wins, 38-33" "Thopson throws for

over 300 yards" Next these guys start on the Guyer game. I turned my radio off at this point.

I did see NT highlights on Channel ll and Channel 8 sports news.

I think this will continue until we beat someone that grabs the average sports fan's attention. It isn't fair, nor right, but it is the way the local pro sports/AQ mindset runs in DFW. I've posted it beofre, but a good friedn of mine that covers local sports once told me that for UNT to ever gain the attention of DFW sports fans and media, it will take them beating a big name OOC team AND winning the SBC. The SBC just doesn't give any of those media idiots any sway, which is what we saw from 2001-2004. They never know when Troy or any other SBC team is good, but they always seem to know when they are bad...I promise you that most of those DFW sports guys have no idea what Arkansas State's record is right now, but they know that Arkansas is in the top ten.

They never know when Troy or any other SBC team is good, but they always seem to know when they are bad...

Because most of the time they are bad. In fact, when was the last time a Sun Belt team finished the season ranked? Or WAS ranked?

We play in a conference that literally no one outside the schools that play in said conference care even a little bit about. And for 6+ years, we haven't even been competitive enough to have a shot at winning said conference. Why should anyone care about what we're doing?

SMU has a winning record and is moving to a BCS conference. TCU just upset another top-5 team on the road.

Again, why *should* anyone outside UNT care that we beat a really bad team on the road in Alabama?

Move to a respected conference. Win games. Win a big game. Then the stories will write themselves.

• Upvote 3

Because most of the time they are bad. In fact, when was the last time a Sun Belt team finished the season ranked? Or WAS ranked?

We play in a conference that literally no one outside the schools that play in said conference care even a little bit about. And for 6+ years, we haven't even been competitive enough to have a shot at winning said conference. Why should anyone care about what we're doing?

SMU has a winning record and is moving to a BCS conference. TCU just upset another top-5 team on the road.

Again, why *should* anyone outside UNT care that we beat a really bad team on the road in Alabama?

Move to a respected conference. Win games. Win a big game. Then the stories will write themselves.

This

I don't know, but I think a local FBS team should always get their score mentioned during a newscast, even if its in a suck league or against a bad team. I saw too many SMU scores and video against powerhouses like UAB or Tulane when they were terrible. But I also realize we weren't ever in the popular group (old SWC), so our reputation doesn't get to precede like every other FBS team in this state (sans UTEP).

• Upvote 2

I don't know, but I think a local FBS team should always get their score mentioned during a newscast, even if its in a suck league or against a bad team. I saw too many SMU scores and video against powerhouses like UAB or Tulane when they were terrible. But I also realize we weren't ever in the popular group (old SWC), so our reputation doesn't get to precede like every other FBS team in this state (sans UTEP).

This

I don't know, but I think a local FBS team should always get their score mentioned during a newscast, even if its in a suck league or against a bad team.

I don't disagree with this sentiment at all.

I just don't think that by virtue of being in D/FW we deserve equal media footing with teams that are actually accomplishing things. That's all I was saying (in a few more words).

We aren't a story yet. I believe some day soon, we will be.

Edited by Eagle1855

I was listing to the game on KNTU 88.1.

After the game ended, George and Hank were talking about the post game highlights, and locker room interview

with Coach McCarney.

Suddenly KNTU switched to the Guyer play off game, right in the middle of George's post game review.

The two guy's calling the Guyer game are said, this just in "North Texas wins, 38-33" "Thopson throws for

over 300 yards" Next these guys start on the Guyer game. I turned my radio off at this point.

I did see NT highlights on Channel ll and Channel 8 sports news.

I've had that problem before, it kinda sucks. But they keep broadcasting the postgame show on their sister station 100.7 so just switch over to that next time.

• Upvote 2

It's kinda sad that The Word prioritizes UNT football higher than the MG Network's "flagship station" does.

The Word is not contractually obligated to air as much of the next game live as possible. Ever notice is a game goes long, ESPN cuts the post game show to next to nothing to get to the next game? This is exactly the same thing.

The Word is not contractually obligated to air as much of the next game live as possible. Ever notice is a game goes long, ESPN cuts the post game show to next to nothing to get to the next game? This is exactly the same thing.

No, it's not. ESPN is not designed to represent one particular university, KNTU is. Whatever contractual obligations KNTU enters should be done with the understanding that UNT comes first.

• Upvote 3

It's kinda sad that The Word prioritizes UNT football higher than the MG Network's "flagship station" does.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. How pathetic is that? Your own friggin college radio station switches to a HS broadcast before the post game show is over? And our school and alumni base want to be treated with the same respect that other schools in the area are treated? I say....start with your own house. :angry:

No, it's not. ESPN is not designed to represent one particular university, KNTU is. Whatever contractual obligations KNTU enters should be done with the understanding that UNT comes first.

They are licensed by the FCC to serve the area - NOT just the university. IF they want to only service the university, they can turn off the transmitter and just become a carrier-current station that only goes to the immediate university and half a block further.

• Upvote 1

I stopped watching NBC5 after they didn't even give the score when we beat Indiana. I sent them an e-mail (never got a reply, but didn't expect to) and let them know I would no longer watch their news broadcasts. I have not since and don't plan to anytime in the future. They'll probably never notice, but I feel better.

• Upvote 1

They are licensed by the FCC to serve the area - NOT just the university. IF they want to only service the university, they can turn off the transmitter and just become a carrier-current station that only goes to the immediate university and half a block further.

I never suggested they only needed to transmit their signal within the area of the university. They should put out their signal as far as they can. But that signal needs to be broadcasting the entirety of UNT football broadcasts.

I stopped watching NBC5 after they didn't even give the score when we beat Indiana. I sent them an e-mail (never got a reply, but didn't expect to) and let them know I would no longer watch their news broadcasts. I have not since and don't plan to anytime in the future. They'll probably never notice, but I feel better.

Didn't you already know the score? In all seriousness, media outlets will broadcast and print what they believe listeners and readers want. Not a lot of dfw residents care about unt scores. Maybe that will change someday. Before you tell me about the one trillion alumni in dfw think about the percentage of those alumni that care......

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't have any problem with them being licensed to serve the area. What I have a problem with is KNTU being identified as the UNT radio station, and they made any sort of agreement that cuts a UNT football broadcast off before it is completed to cover a high school playoff game.