The defense is overrated. They can't defend the pass. That being said I can't defend Romo today. When you have that kind of lead even if your a crappy team you just don't lose that game.

Edit: Let's also not forget Garrett deserves a lot of heat today. This team was up 27-3 with 10 mins left in the 3rd quarter and Romo had 47 pass attempts. I know the offensive line and running game is shaky at best but it seemed that they were getting a lot more holes and blocking than the previous three weeks.

Edited by Green Mean
  • Upvote 1

Romo Is overrated, much like we overrate our Cowboys. He's the best Dallas has had in over a decade, but not good enough to lead the team to SB wins. Boneheaded plays in crunch time have become his signature.

He'll pull another win out if his ass again soon and all the Cow sheep will lick Romos sack for a week or so....

The defense is overrated.

OMG you can't be that clueless????? Detroit was held to 240 yards passing and 63 yards rushing after being given a short field the entire second half. The Lions didn't make their first 1st down until 9 minutes in the second quarter. They held the 3rd ranked offense, and according to some, a REAL prolific, valid QB to 17 points off of drives who didn't score their first TD till the 4th quarter. I'd say that more than validates this defense.

Unreal, just unreal.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

OMG you can't be that clueless????? Detroit was held to 240 yards passing and 63 yards rushing after being given a short field the entire second half. The Lions didn't make their first 1st down until 9 minutes in the second quarter. They held the 3rd ranked offense, and according to some, a REAL prolific, valid QB to 17 points off of drives who didn't score their first TD till the 4th quarter. I'd say that more than validates this defense.

Unreal, just unreal.

Rick

I'm not saying they're the worst defense ever but you're talking like they're the Doomsday defense or Steel Curtain. I don't think the defense is as good as you're saying....they're not a complete defense. In my opinion they are good at times and they're really spare at times.

Romo Is overrated, much like we overrate our Cowboys. He's the best Dallas has had in over a decade, but not good enough to lead the team to SB wins. Boneheaded plays in crunch time have become his signature.

He'll pull another win out if his ass again soon and all the Cow sheep will lick Romos sack for a week or so....

While Jerry takes it all to the bank. A real GM can build a winner around Romo. The rest of these other arguments are basically about whether you can wring 2 or 3 cups of lemonade out of a rotten lemon, old sugar and some gutter water.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not saying they're the worst defense ever but you're talking like they're the Doomsday defense or Steel Curtain.

Where have I claimed they are the Doomesday Defense or Steel curtain? I said they have played good enough to get us wins but can't overcome their biggest problem right now.

It's time for Demarcus Ware to take over this team and be it's leader and when Romo pulls that shit, call him out for it.

No more excuses for that guy.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Where have I claimed they are the Doomesday Defense or Steel curtain? I said they have played good enough to get us wins but can't overcome their biggest problem right now.

It's time for Demarcus Ware to take over this team and be it's leader and when Romo pulls that shit, call him out for it.

No more excuses for that guy.

Rick

Couldn't agree with you more. Like I said before you cant defend Romo today.

As for the talk of Jerry Jones.....he'll be the GM until he is 6 feet under. Based on what happened this off season I kinda think maybe he was starting to change a little bit which could have been Garrett's influence. I am excited to see how this offensive line progresses over the season and into the next...they're so young and raw but I think they've gotten better here and there from week to week.

Ok.

Where do you get one.

Seriously, answer that.

I'm going to reveal my lack of NFL knowledge here.

Why do some Cowboys fans think that nothing out there could work better? Is Romo really worth sitting on and not taking chances? How many more of these debacles are you willing to sit through? You just lost to Detroit! You blew a 24 point lead! Didn't that used to be embarrassing to ya'll? Here you are, possibly on your way to another failed playoff appearance based on hit-or-complete-whiff QB play. Why hasn't your history given you any foresight with him and this season? Maybe what your team needs is a little bit of consistency, rather than headaches and the occasional gutsy win over the Niners and Houston. Somehow he averages a top-10 QB rating, so I guess that means something to you when all the other 9 only have one loss.

Honest question: have the Cowboys been watching the drafts for the "next guy" while Romo has been QB? Or are they just sitting on Kitna with his super vet abilities and McGee's legs, thinking the future looks all good and pretty?

Edited by greenminer

I guess you can't answer that question huh?

I don't have to Answer that! You've already posted on another thread you can't defend that Grinning sack, yet here you are? Arguing for the sake of arguing?

Let me clue you in Your first post on the subject was your best.

There is NO defending him. None!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I don't have to Answer that! You've already posted on another thread you can't defend that Grinning sack, yet here you are? Arguing for the sake of arguing?

Let me clue you in Your first post on the subject was your best.

There is NO defending him. None!

Rick

I can't defend him today but what is the alternative as far as 'getting rid of romo'? If it wasn't for Romo we probably don't beat San Francisco and we DEFINITELY don't beat Washington. Seriously it's not easy finding a good quarterback and you can say what you want...Romo is a good quarterback. Is he Staubach? Aikman? Even Danny White? Of course not but until there is a better option out there he is our quarterback. Kitna is a decent backup but the key word is backup.

I'm going to reveal my non-NFL knowledge here.

Why do some Cowboys fans think that nothing out there could work better? Is Romo really worth sitting on and not taking chances? How many more of these debacles are you willing to sit through? You just lost to Detroit! You blew a 24 point lead! Didn't that used to be embarrassing to ya'll? Here you are, possibly on your way to another failed playoff appearance based on hit-or-complete-whiff QB play. Why hasn't your history given you any foresight with him and this season? Maybe what your team needs is a little bit of consistency, rather than headaches and the occasional gutsy win over the Niners and Houston. Somehow he averages a top-10 QB rating, so I guess that means something to you when all the other 9 only have one loss.

Honest question: have the Cowboys been watching the drafts for the "next guy" while Romo has been QB? Or are they just sitting on Kitna with his super vet abilities and McGee's legs, thinking this all looks good and pretty?

I think that's the key, right there in bold.

Our history.

Hutchinson. Carter. Henson. Testaverde. Leaf. Stoerner. Banks. Bledsoe.

That's your revolving door between Aikman and Romo. That's what makes any reasonable Cowboy fan very, very reluctant to do anything rash. Getting an elite QB in today's NFL is one of the hardest, most uncertain things there is.... and I agree that a decent GM can win with Romo - teams win every day with much, much worse. Just as Romo's mistakes contributed to losses vs. NJY and DET, you don't win vs. SF or WAS without him. This thing is at 2-2... right where it deserves to be with a ridiculous collection of kids on the OL, a secondary made of papier mache, and a WR corps that defies comprehension.

Bad second half today. Frustrating as hell. But odd multi-thread starting personal vendettas aside, getting Romo out of here is low on any competent GM's hit list.

• Upvote 2

I think that's the key, right there in bold.

Our history.

Hutchinson. Carter. Henson. Testaverde. Leaf. Stoerner. Banks. Bledsoe.

That's your revolving door between Aikman and Romo. That's what makes any reasonable Cowboy fan very, very reluctant to do anything rash. Getting an elite QB in today's NFL is one of the hardest, most uncertain things there is.... and I agree that a decent GM can win with Romo - teams win every day with much, much worse. Just as Romo's mistakes contributed to losses vs. NJY and DET, you don't win vs. SF or WAS without him. This thing is at 2-2... right where it deserves to be with a ridiculous collection of kids on the OL, a secondary made of papier mache, and a WR corps that defies comprehension.

Bad second half today. Frustrating as hell. But odd multi-thread starting personal vendettas aside, getting Romo out of here is low on any competent GM's hit list.

This team doesn't need an elite QB. It needs one that wont beat his own team with mistakes and one that takes care of the ball in critical situations.

Did you not see Matt Stafford throw the ball safely away at critical times all day long? I did. In fact the announcers made mention of it more than once. He was pressured all day and could have also forced the ball over and over again, but instead managed the game and was patient till the time was right to strike. He's apparently learned in a short amount of time how to NOT beat his own team.

Time for Demarcus, or Spencer or Whitten, somebody to take the lead on this team and hold people accountable.

Rick

This team doesn't need an elite QB. It needs one that wont beat his own team with mistakes and one that takes care of the ball in critical situations.

Did you not see Matt Stafford throw the ball safely away at critical times all day long? I did. In fact the announcers made mention of it more than once. He was pressured all day and could have also forced the ball over and over again, but instead managed the game and was patient till the time was right to strike. He's apparently learned in a short amount of time how to NOT beat his own team.

Time for Demarcus, or Spencer or Whitten, somebody to take the lead on this team and hold people accountable.

Rick

Sure, throwing the ball away is great and all - but it's one thing to be frustrated and driven half crazy by your QB, and it's another to get rid of the guy. For every terrible pick, you have those plays where he slips a tackle, extends a play, and makes some miraculous completion. It's just how he plays. I absolutely wish he was more careful sometimes, but not at the expense of the upside.

In the first half today, Romo threw for over 200 yards with multiple TD's, with a running game so ineffective we couldn't punch it in from 1 yard out.... that 27-3 lead didn't build itself. You have to have a lead to flush away. For over a decade, we didn't have a QB who could build a lead in the first place.

and that's the thing.... maddening mistakes AT MADDENING TIMES.....yet when you catch your breath and look big picture, you've got a QB who is Top 10 in the league in QB rating, Top 5 in TD's, Top 5 in Total Yards, Top 5 in Yards per Game, and has the best career Yards-per-Attempt in the color TV era.... throwing behind a patchwork OL of rookies and guys in new spots, throwing TO a collection of recent Home Depot employees (Robinson) and future ones (Ogletree) while his best WRs miss time with injury, not to mention broken ribs & punctured lungs. No GM in his right mind not sitting on the can't miss prospect of can't miss prospects gets rid of that guy.... no matter how crazy he drives you at times.

Even if you try to discount the statistics completely, look within the division- Eli Manning is an INT machine... he's never seen an opposing corner he doesn't like. He's thrown two picks for every one Romo has thrown, has a career QB rating almost 20 points lower than Romo, and has driven NYG fans to the point of suicide with bad TO's.... and he's won a Super Bowl. Good GM, Good coaching, the right parts in place.

Not a knock at you personally, Rick, but this is the thing with the unrealistic Cowboy fan and Tony Romo - in four games this year, two have been followed by his literally being THE talk of the league in the media - player of the week awards with the majority of fans falling all over themselves to extol his leadership and toughness, his heroic performances... the other two by fans running to the internet "GET RID OF THIS GUY - WE CAN'T WIN WITH HIM!!1!" It's all emotion, unrealistic expectation, and extreme thought - Odds are, like with everything, the truth lies well in the middle.

Not every team has the absurd QB history of Dallas. MAYBE Green Bay. That's about. We're lucky, spoiled, and don't know what we have while we have it.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

Let's not forget Redball's challenge inside the 5 when the Cowboys reciever, not sure which one, was called out of bounds. You have a first and goal inside the 5, he challenges it, and it costs him a timeout which could have been used on that last drive after Detroit's winning score, or to stop the clock one more time prior to Detroit's score. Then there was the defensive holding in the endzone which led to the winning score. Then there was the last play of the game. Once again, Romo forgot that you are only allowed 4 downs. God help him if he were to play in the CFL someday. Although it apppears the WHOLE OFFENSE forgot it was 4th down, It is Romo's responsiblibity to make sure that everyone knows it is 4th down and where they have to get to.

And Romo made Barbie Freaking Carpenter look like a Pro Bowler.

Edited by Rudy

Right now, Romo has been responsible for 2 wins that the team had no shot in, and 1 loss (as I stated, there were a number of other problems in week 1 and can't even begin to put that one on Romo).

The first pick and the 3rd pick today were signature Romo picks. No reason to throw either ball. The first, right into the LBs arms like he couldn't see him bracketing the receiver. The second one, he's falling back and throws it, jumping, off his back foot. Romo thinks he's Superman. And both of those picks were on 1st down. Absolutely unacceptable.

HOWEVER, our defense played well about as long as the offense did. A missed sack on Stafford led to a big play. Every pass completion, with the exception to the jump ball in the end zone, went to WIDE OPEN receivers. Far too much busted coverage, uncovered players. Ryan's defense is only unpredictable in where players are coming from, and not nearly as much in the number of guys coming. NO sacks today and poor coverage on the back end. And as long as Alan Ball is in on defense, the opponents are going to seek him out just like they did Jacques Reeves.

And Garrett. You remember what the Cowboys used to do on 3rd and short in the Super Bowl years, late in a game, playing with a lead? They ran it. That's part of the point of getting to 3rd and 2. You have the whole playbook. Granted, it was a good play by the DB and a BAD route by the receiver that led to that pick-6. But we were gouging them with the run, at mid-field, and we were still up big in the 3rd quarter. Run the ball on a 3rd and 2, and you have a shot at another first down, a 4th down play, or pinning the Lions in crappy field position. And 4th down on the goalline, with an O-line that struggles with the power interior run-game blocking... get your HB in space. That's why you have the young, athletic O-line to start with.

This team doesn't have the overall talent to go anywhere this year. They really don't. Not with this defensive personnel. Not with the injuries, not with the young offensive line (btw, did you see 1st round pick Tyron Smith get blown the f up on that sack late in the game?).

Romo absolutely was the worst part of this game, though. This one's easily on him, despite the other issues. But make no mistake, there are plenty of other issues. The picks by Romo today aren't ones that are going to keep this team from the playoff/Superbowl, bc that just isn't in the cards this year.