DRC: McNulty grateful for start

As a fan how do I show appropriate respect to young freshman QB when I think the coach, or coaching staff has past over Osborn, who in my arm chair QB opinion is the better QB now. I believe if Osborn had started UNT would have won on the road in Tulsa or at least UNT would have been in the earlier and longer.

Our great new all world, big money coaching staff is making some poor personnel decision in my opinion. Is Vito begin kept at arms length from coach's because our new staff knows Vito has enough journalistic integrity to question coach Mac's choice of UNT QB's?

Go Mean Geen!!

Edited by UNTMike81

We have to keep in mind despite our ambush of Indiana(who nearly beat Penn State yesterday), that this is still a major rebuilding year and that this staff is still test driving this thing around finding it's playmakers.

With that said, it's a brand new season starting next Saturday with plenty to play for the rest of the way.

Rick

• Upvote 2

UNT90, Thanks for the question. Made me realize I was typing to fast and didn't proof my post properly. Should have said "personnel", and I've edited my post above. English and grammar aren't my strong suit's.

Having said that I must now assume Osborn is our #3 QB and has been demoted. Based on the QB performance I saw on the field last night I question the demotion. If Darrell Dickey or Ramon Flanigan made the same move the UNT nation would want them strung up, and run out of town.

Since I have to be mindful of what I say about this regarding Mr. McNulty base on the situation (McNulty is just competing in this situation), do I have to do the same with UNT coaches that collectively make over 1 Million dollars per year. I'm referring to Coach Mac and Coach Canales.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As a fan how do I show appropriate respect to young freshman QB when I think the coach, or coaching staff has past over Osborn, who in my arm chair QB opinion is the better QB now. I believe if Osborn had started UNT would have won on the road in Tulsa or at least UNT would have been in the earlier and longer.

Our great new all world, big money coaching staff is making some poor personnel decision in my opinion. Is Vito begin kept at arms length from coach's because our new staff knows Vito has enough journalistic integrity to question coach Mac's choice of UNT QB's?

Go Mean Geen!!

I believe you are right...Osborn is a much better QB...afraid this has to do with DanMac friend's son. UNT killed themselves with the stupid clown play...mostly at exactly the wrong time in the game...some of the play calling sucked as well...but Osborn showed he knows how to win...its easy to see if you just look....overall this is a game we should have won...if we wouldn't have made stupid calls and mistakes and maybe with Osborn as qb.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I believe you are right...Osborn is a much better QB...afraid this has to do with DanMac friend's son. UNT killed themselves with the stupid clown play...mostly at exactly the wrong time in the game...some of the play calling sucked as well...but Osborn showed he knows how to win...its easy to see if you just look....overall this is a game we should have won...if we wouldn't have made stupid calls and mistakes and maybe with Osborn as qb.

I understand everyones pessimism, but 1. How much merit is there to the nepotism charges and 2. Will we ever find out or get much of an explanation regarding it anyway (yo Vito can you stir it up a bit for us)?

McNulty has been the #2 QB since late in fall camp.

At what point did Osborne get into the game? Was it in the 4th quarter against reserves?

sorry, I hit -1 when I intended to hit plus 1. I understood McNulty to be the number 2 before the first game this fall. When number 1 goes down you go with number 2 which is (or at least was) McNulty.

I watched the game on Tulsa feed, for free I might add which was cool based on my finances. Tulsa announcers said only some of the players when Osborn was in were reserves. There were plenty of first stringers on the Tulsa side in the game when Osborn was at QB. Tulsa announcers kept saying their coach would like to have put in all reserves, but because UNT was making yardage and scoring on the drives Tulsa couldn't put all of their reserves in.

Do you really think Tulsa wanted UNT to score with about a minute left on fade route to the end zone. That was one of the best passes Osborn made by either QB all game. The point has been made that McNulty was playing because his is more mobile that Osborn, but I didn't see Osborn get sacked when he was playing Tulsa. I even saw Osborn making plays with UNT receivers I'd never heard of before.

You'd think UNT would put our best players on the field to win games. In Tulsa last night it appears to me our best QB was on the bench until about 5 minutes to go in the game. Doesn't matter if Tulsa had 11 waterboy's in on defense when Osborn was in he still engineered drives that led to 14 points and didn't throw a int.. McNulty, 2 int's and 7 pts.. We're pulling for our college team, so someone please do the math. This situation is odd at best because our new coaching staff and there big time salaries have been sold to the UNT faithful based on our coaches "skins on the wall". Based on that the current QB situation we witnessed in Tulsa seems odd at best.

What do I know. I'm sure a stupid uneducated fan!!!

sorry, I hit -1 when I intended to hit plus 1. I understood McNulty to be the number 2 before the first game this fall. When number 1 goes down you go with number 2 which is (or at least was) McNulty.

Was that ever stated? After the Bama game Mac insisted they were still competing for the 2 spot. If McNutty was the #2 all along why was it Ozzy first off the bench at FIU?

• Upvote 1

Vito won't ask and they will never ask during the coach's show. Everyone knows my take on the situation.

To clarify, I am no relation to any players, jsut a lifelong fan. McNulty is being done a disservice by starting. He's not ready and we have a better option in Osborn. McNulty should have been red-shirted, and the red-shirt only pulled if Thompson and Osborn went down with injuries. IMHO, this would have served the team better and McNulty better in the long haul. Instead, again IMHO, the way the situation has been handled all year hurts all three of them.

Vito won't ask and they will never ask during the coach's show. Everyone knows my take on the situation.

To clarify, I am no relation to any players, jsut a lifelong fan. McNulty is being done a disservice by starting. He's not ready and we have a better option in Osborn. McNulty should have been red-shirted, and the red-shirt only pulled if Thompson and Osborn went down with injuries. IMHO, this would have served the team better and McNulty better in the long haul. Instead, again IMHO, the way the situation has been handled all year hurts all three of them.

Isn't there an open mic at the coaches show?

• Upvote 1

I think MeanMag is saying there are opportunities to get your own question out there.

So if you make the effort, and the Q isn't relayed by the GG or Vito, I think the issue might be that Coach has told them he will not address that. He might have gone so far as instructing the entire staff/administration to not voice anything.

Just a guess.

Edited by greenminer

We have to keep in mind despite our ambush of Indiana(who nearly beat Penn State yesterday), that this is still a major rebuilding year and that this staff is still test driving this thing around finding it's playmakers.

With that said, it's a brand new season starting next Saturday with plenty to play for the rest of the way.

Rick

QFT. This year will be frustrating in a lot of ways. People can either get stressed out about it, or relax and see how it plays out. The coaching staff has to find out who can lead the team and who can make plays, because there will be even more changes coming in personnel eventually. No reason not to test your QB's during your non-conf slate and see what you have. In fact, it's a pretty good idea.

I think MeanMag is saying there are opportunities to get your own question out there.

So if you make the effort, and the Q isn't relayed by the GG or Vito, I think the issue might be that Coach has told them he will not address that. He might have gone so far as instructing the entire staff/administration to not voice anything.

Just a guess.

The scenario you posed is exactly what I think. Coach won't address it and won't allow anyone to, so Vito doesn't ask and when the question is submitted to the Green Gang, they just ignore it. The question won't go away until he does address it.

Vito could ask it during the weekly press conference. I would like to hear either Coach Mac explain his thinking behind the decision or tell us he's not going to address it. It's Vito's job to ask the question. He's not an employee of the AD like the Green Gang is.

Edited by UNTLifer

QFT. This year will be frustrating in a lot of ways. People can either get stressed out about it, or relax and see how it plays out. The coaching staff has to find out who can lead the team and who can make plays, because there will be even more changes coming in personnel eventually. No reason not to test your QB's during your non-conf slate and see what you have. In fact, it's a pretty good idea.

...except that one of the things that has cost North Texas fans in the past is a cavalier (Dickey) attitude about OCC games. North Texas needs BUTTS IN THE SEATS. Playing "lets-have-a-look-and-tinker-with-this-and-that" against a NAME opponent is NOT the way to get the fan base to show up at Apogee stadium against (in the perception of the casual fan) Florida-who?

Dickey never got it, and I'm beginning to fear that the current coaching staff is not getting it. The casual fan will show up to watch us play Florida-who? because they want to see the North Texas team that BEAT TULSA the week before, not because they somehow know that North Texas is going to start turning things around after a five week "tinkering-fine-tuneing" tour.

I understand that a coach sticks with what has worked for him in the past. But a practice QB is not always a GAME QB. At this point (and before the Tulsa game), I would be reviewing how Osburn has been performing in game situations, not practice situations.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

The scenario you posed is exactly what I think. Coach won't address it and won't allow anyone to, so Vito doesn't ask and when the question is submitted to the Green Gang, they just ignore it. The question won't go away until he does address it.

Vito could ask it during the weekly press conference. I would like to hear either Coach Mac explain his thinking behind the decision or tell us he's not going to address it. It's Vito's job to ask the question. He's not an employee of the AD like the Green Gang is.

Maybe Vito did ask. I would like to know the answer too, but jumping to the conclusion that Vito is a lazy sports writer is kind of premature. This isn't OU or Texas where a particular sports writer might have more leverage or the ability to gain more leverage. There are only so many readers and not many writers. Vito and the fan base to be honest, doesn't have the luxury of pissing off the staffers.

• Upvote 2

Maybe Vito did ask. I would like to know the answer too, but jumping to the conclusion that Vito is a lazy sports writer is kind of premature. This isn't OU or Texas where a particular sports writer might have more leverage or the ability to gain more leverage. There are only so many readers and not many writers. Vito and the fan base to be honest, doesn't have the luxury of pissing off the staffers.

I've been reading Vito ever since with lost Tim M. because I believe Tim M. had run in's with RV/Dickey over questions he asked. Or accused of being critical of UNT athletics. Vito hasn't dodged asking questions and he's been on the outside looking via several of our HC's over the years. If you look at Vito's men's BB write ups Vito seems to have good relationship with JJ.

• Upvote 1