Attendance Projection for this weekend

All About UNT

The good. Fans will come back because of the great time they had 2 weeks ago. Some will go to their first game at Apogee. And it's Parent's Weekend. Lots of students and Mom and Dad will come if not for just the first half. If we're doing well, they might stay.

The bad. I've heard it said parking was difficult. Some had to walk as far as they would going to the mall.

My prediction, we break the all-time attendance record at Apogee. 29,220 watch a Mean Green win.

GO MEAN GREEN

The good. Fans will come back because of the great time they had 2 weeks ago. Some will go to their first game at Apogee. And it's Parent's Weekend. Lots of students and Mom and Dad will come if not for just the first half. If we're doing well, they might stay.

The bad. I've heard it said parking was difficult. Some had to walk as far as they would going to the mall.

My prediction, we break the all-time attendance record at Apogee. 29,220 watch a Mean Green win.

GO MEAN GREEN

Joe I think I might go with a sell out now.

When was the last time we played a Big 10 team in Denton? New Stadium, nice weather and our team seems to be improving, are you guys kidding me this is going to be record setting. Everyone has heard of the Hoosiers. Rockem Sockem we are going to Win baby!!!

GO MEAN GREEN

I wish people would get away from the "parking is bad" thing. Parking is "bad" for any sport where you get large numbers of people together in one place.

About the only place in DFW where parking isn't an issue is the AAC due to having the DART/TRE station right next to the arena.

You do realize that anything under 28,075 will set the record for the lowest attendance for a football game at Apogee Stadium, right?

You do realize that it's not realistic to compare attendance at Fouts with attendance at Apogee, right? Two different animals. It's simple aesthetics and experience that is drawing alums and students to games who refused to go to games at Fouts. It will compound as we start improving and winning games. Focusing on low attendance this early in a new stadium is a waste of time.

JRock

Edited by JRock
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You do realize that it's not realistic to compare attendance at Fouts with attendance at Apogee, right? Two different animals. It's simple aesthetics and experience that is drawing alums and students to games who refused to go to games at Fouts. It will compound as we start improving and winning games. Focusing on low attendance this early in a new stadium is a waste of time.

JRock

I was just pointing out that his post was a joke. I think you missed it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Joe I think I might go with a sell out now.

When was the last time we played a Big 10 team in Denton? New Stadium, nice weather and our team seems to be improving, are you guys kidding me this is going to be record setting. Everyone has heard of the Hoosiers. Rockem Sockem we are going to Win baby!!!

As hard as it was for me to believe, North Texas has NEVER played a Big 10 school. NEVER. This seems like a good time for us to OWN the Big 10 Conference.

GO MEAN GREEN

I wish people would get away from the "parking is bad" thing. Parking is "bad" for any sport where you get large numbers of people together in one place.

About the only place in DFW where parking isn't an issue is the AAC due to having the DART/TRE station right next to the arena.

Gagreed, me and my friends frequently take advantage of the Stars student ticket pricing which before this year meant we had to drive to get to the AAC. And since we are broke college students we had to park roughly half a mile away. We would then make the half mile walk to the north ticket box to pick up our $10 student tickets and Chipotle free burrito card, then we walk the nearly mile long walk to the Chipotle in the West End to eat our free burritos so we don't have to pay for overpriced concessions. Finally, we walk the nearly mile long walk back to the AAC resulting in just under 2 and a half miles walked, not including the half mile walk back to our car after the game, and we have a great time everytime. Point is that people are lazy these days and think walking is the worst thing ever, which is one reason why Americans are so fat.

• Upvote 3

I am thinking 28,200...Why, it's family weekend, the weather is looking like it is going to be great, UNT is playing a Big 10 team for the very first time, Indiana will bring a few fans (talked to an Indiana guy who said he knows of 500 so far...that he knows of and he lives in the Denton area...Apogee stadium, a winnable game, new tailgaters, etc.

I hope I am low with my estimate, but I'm thinking just over 28,000 is reachable.

Much depends upon the student turnout. Much effort has been made to get the students involved. I don't think that effort will have been in vain.

Why?

Well honestly KRAM....most college kids just don't follow teams like FIU and Houston and so they would not understand that many teams will lose to them this year. They only know names like Tech, TU, Bama and so on....and many don't really get how we could be shut out by teams of that caliber. Combine that with them not knowing we are in a rebuilding phase and that change is not immediate I can easily see only 6-7k students showing up. Considering half of the school commutes and a at least a quarter of those that live in Denton are hippies I still think that this is a great turnout for them. It's the whole filling up of the student section and flowing over into the Wing that I don't see occurring. Now...if we beat Indiana and beat Tulsa then we can talk about filling that section up once again. I hope I eat crow on this but I just don't see it happening this game.

We still have plenty of seats left in 210 and similar sections.

I don't think the student section will be overflowing, but I just don't see the huge drop off. The attitude has started to change around here (except for the stupid hippies that do nothing but complain that they can't smoke weed in the dorms). I just think that for this game (especailly) on family weekend that you will see the student section pretty full. I really don't think it will be any lower than 25k, which is still awesome under the circumstances.

I agree with AAUNT though, if we win the next two, coming back home for FAU may be a sell-out.

any idea on student tickets pickups yet???

this game better be large!!! hell, i may even buy the fancy beer for this game!!!

I'll try and find out tonight...I think we will see more tickets picked up at the game this week instead of early, simply because people will be expecting a lower turnout...however, the ticket office did double the hours for ticket pickup at both the union and the rec center for this week.

• Upvote 1

I have a gig Saturday night and it makes me sick because I wanted more Apogee Game Day experience. (I thought the IU game was the next weekend when I scheduled a birthday party over in Granbury). So much for trying to memorize our football schedule at my age.:rolleyes:

"Is This Heaven?" (Field of Dreams) A fellow alum and I who made the UH game thoroughly enjoyed Game Day in Denton, Texas, America, on September 10'th. Not to dismiss our past (which many of us old geezors seem to live in way too much because that is what we older geezors do ) but for the life of me, at the Grand Opening of Apogee Stadium in many ways I felt I had just attended my first college football game at the main campus of the University of North Texas. The big time'ness of Apogee and that feature many of us could not wait to hear the first glimpse of it because we knew that it would be very special. A-C-C-O-U-S-T-I-C-S ...........WOW!

Like many of you, I also teared up (more than I want you to know) when the pageantry of college football took place at our own Apogee Stadium. Yes, like Coach Mac recently said that we should have built her sooner, than we did, but we have her now and no one can take her away from us w/o a bloody fight! LOL!

If you can---show up at Apogee this Saturday night because you will have a great time.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen