NCAA hits Boise State with major violations

NT80

"Athletics director Gene Bleymaier was fired last month after 30 years at the school."

"Boise State's football program will lose three scholarships each of the next three seasons as part of major NCAA violations in the school's athletics department."

"This was a major case," Sankey said. "I think the extent of the report indicates the number of allegations. They occurred in five sports exceeding five years and, as was noted in the introductory comments, exceeded 75 either prospective student-athletes or student-athletes involvement."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/09/boise-state-football-ncaa-violations-scholarship-reductions/1

Here's the facts-

Boise's first year in D1a was 1996, one year after we re-entered D1A. They've only had two losing seasons: 1996 they were 2-10, and 1997 they went 4-7.

Not counting this season, Boise State is 146-43, a 77% winning percentage; Boise has been to 11 bowl games. Please don't tell me these recruits are going to Boise State for the scenery, academics, or skiing lessons in the winter. Something is amiss with this program.

Source: 1A History

Fair enough. It's def somewhere in the middle. Look at their JUCO record: 199-61!

Boise State season wiki

Check out the 1968 - 1982 seasons, too. However ya'll want to define/explain it, this didn't start in the 1990s.

I think someone, TFLF?, mentioned a while back that they spent years living off academic borderlines. Very similar to what Fresno used to do.

"The football program was found to have committed recruiting, impermissible housing and transportation violations involving 63 student-athletes from between 2005 and 2009.

The individual amounts of the violations ranged from $2.34 to a maximum of $417.55 and have been reimbursed."

A maximum of $417.55? SMU of the 80's would be laughing at that one.

You know, this sounds like stuff that just about any program could be found in violation of....on any given year.

As we start moving up the food chain, we better have some very good compliance people working for us.

• Upvote 1

So, the NCAA hits Boise, yet Miami is still waiting for their punishment?

Hmmmm....

I have heard rumblings for the past 3 years especially within their tennis programs, so not fully on Football like OSU, Miami, and Auburn. Also figure the NCAA is making an example of a mid-major as is usual while the major players get slaps on the wrists.

I have heard rumblings for the past 3 years especially within their tennis programs, so not fully on Football like OSU, Miami, and Auburn. Also figure the NCAA is making an example of a mid-major as is usual while the major players get slaps on the wrists.

Really, they end up making an example of both. If you aren't one of the chosen few, you get hit hard. If you are one of the chosen few, you will not be hit hard. Both are examples of what each group can expect. It really looks more like a slap down for trying to climb the ladder.

Edited by forevereagle

Let me be just straight-out honest here - and I hope the University of North Texas Athletic Department officials, coaches, AND the President of our university read this - and I hope they care:

If the athletic department at this university should choose to operate a program that is based on cheating in order to be successful........I, along with my contributions to this program, am out of here!

Pure and simple - no ifs, ands, or buts!

We win with ethical behavior, pride, and class or this athletic program can follow your suggestion without me.

GMG

Right there with you.

I'm sorry but losing 3 scholarships a year for a couple of years doesn't strike me as being much for what are deemed MAJOR offenses by the NCAA... that said I like the Boise folks and admire them for what they have accomplished with their program. They have much less resources than the BCS schools and this penalty will hit them harder than it would the BCS school.

The problem as I see it is that the penalties still do not preclude a team from cheating, in fact I would say most mid majors would trade spots with Boise in a heartbeat if they could. I hope and pray that someday we see a system which rewards the teams that play by the rules. For instance, why not allow the teams who do play the rules an additional scholarship or some other type of perk? Just thinking outside the box.

But that would mean all the teams in the Belt, MAC, and WAC would have the extra ships...

I do agree that 3 scholarships is a slap on the wrist. Could it be that the NCAA knows they will soon have to deal with Ohio St. and Miami and want to get out in front of the weak penalties those programs will receive?

We never walked in the moon, Elvis ain't dead, you ain't goin crazy, it's all in your head. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

Let me be just straight-out honest here - and I hope the University of North Texas Athletic Department officials, coaches, AND the President of our university read this - and I hope they care:

If the athletic department at this university should choose to operate a program that is based on cheating in order to be successful........I, along with my contributions to this program, am out of here!

Pure and simple - no ifs, ands, or buts!

We win with ethical behavior, pride, and class or this athletic program can follow your suggestion without me.

GMG

You're more than welcome to leave and never look back. While you're leaving, in return we'll be getting a lot more donations and a lifetime/generations of fans that bleed green and love UNT. So I am quite fine with that. Obviously if we're going to cheat then we need to cheat right and win in the process.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

You're more than welcome to leave and never look back. While you're leaving, in return we'll be getting a lot more donations and a lifetime/generations of fans that bleed green and love UNT. So I am quite fine with that. Obviously if we're going to cheat then we need to cheat right and win in the process.

I think your posting says it all - God help us!

• Upvote 1

I have spent the last several hours thinking about your posting and I have come to a conclusion:

Sir, that is about the dumbest posting I have ever seen on the GoMeanGreen board in my three + years of reading it and I have seen some lulus.

Most people would accept that one's ethical makeup is displayed on a daily basis in all situations.

Therefore, I can only conclude that the lack of ethics displayed by you on a sports fan board reflects the lack of ethical behavior that you also display in the business world. You have essentially said that the objective/goal for North Texas is to win even if it requires cheating – and that cheating will bring in more fans (might we call them "customers") and greater contributions (might we call them "profits"?).

Given that your ethical compass has lost its way, please tell us what business you own, or what company you work for, so that I for one can avoid ever purchasing a good or service from your company.

All of us that support the University of North Texas athletic program, especially football, want to win and I want to win as much as anyone associated with this program – guaranteed!

But it is loose cannons like you, with questionable ethical values, that create huge problems for college and university athletic departments and scare athletic directors to death.

The big universities/athletics programs have no issues with this. Look at the money they get due to people donating not just in athletics but the rest of the other schools programs for research etc. That is fine call me unethical. the fact is that it is unethical on some dinky little document which we know the NCAA rarely every truly enforces. Despite their scandals, USC and OSU and countless other schools will have packed stadiums with die hard fans and will keep on receiving donations not just to athletics but to everything else. So yes I have no problem with cheating...of the 120 or something schools....EVERYBODY cheats or bends the rules greatly in some capacity or another maybe minus the academies maybe.

Athletic directors, coaches etc aren't scared to death because everybody knows what is truly going on. They realize that its basically an arms race and you have to keep up. That is the way these things go now.

This isn't necessarily about mine or your businesses. Call me a loose cannon all you want...at the end of the day I am and will always think like a businessman. College athletics is a completely different ballgame and yes that is a complete business as well and if you think otherwise then you're a lost cause.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3