Abundance of greed holds SEC expansion hostage

NT80

Good editorial from someone outside the Big12 boundaries:

"Baylor President Ken Starr, the man who investigated Bill Clinton's tawdry affair, is drumming up support to threaten the SEC and keep the Big 12 intact. Who knew Starr could create a messy situation without a blue dress?"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/abundance_of_greed_holds_sec_e.html

• Downvote 3

I would submit there has been an abundance of greed on all sides of this entire ordeal, which is why I'm really close to being exhausted with college football altogether... and it's only been one week.

Just relax and look at it the way I do...I have no control over any of this. So, I'll just sit back, support the Mean green and enjoy the ride. Why let it get to you at all? Don't let this crap spoil the start to another great college football season for you...it's no where near worth that...No Way!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Good article to find.

One thing I still find funny is A&M's claims about the LHN. A&M build 12th Man Production studios several years back and has been to ESPN, Fox, CBS, and generally anyone with a satellite uplink trying to get an Aggie network created. Bill Byrne has talked about this for years. No one was interested. But when UT manages to pull of exactly what A&M was trying to do, UT is the Devil incarnate!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Good for Baylor! I hope they stick it to aTm. A&M are just as greedy and worse because they made a commitment just months ago. I have read the that the Texas state legislature may step in to stop A&M if they have to as well now.

Baylor stands to lose tens of millions of dollars a year if A&M destabilizes the Big 12. Super conferences would be the worst thing ever to happen to college football.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Good for Baylor! I hope they stick it to aTm. A&M are just as greedy and worse because they made a commitment just months ago. I have read the that the Texas state legislature may step in to stop A&M if they have to as well now.

Baylor stands to lose tens of millions of dollars a year if A&M destabilizes the Big 12. Super conferences would be the worst thing ever to happen to college football.

A&M did not destablize the big 12. Colorado & Nebraska did. The big 12 has only 10 teams. They left partly because of the LHN. Now the Aggies are wanting to exit for the same reason. So I guess you could say it's the WhorEns who destabalized Big 12.

Why do you care if the Baptist Bares lose money. They should not have been in the conference to begin with. They can thank Lil' Anne Richards for them being in an AQ league.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A&M did not destablize the big 12. Colorado & Nebraska did. The big 12 has only 10 teams. They left partly because of the LHN. Now the Aggies are wanting to exit for the same reason. So I guess you could say it's the WhorEns who destabalized Big 12.

Why do you care if the Baptist Bares lose money. They should not have been in the conference to begin with. They can thank Lil' Anne Richards for them being in an AQ league.

At the moment the Aggies are the ones destabilizing the conference and I think it is funny that Aggies attempt at a private network failed and then they go sour grapes over UT. UT is not all things evil whether we want them be to or not. I do hope their Horny Network fails. If little old Baylor was little old North Texas you better believe I would want to sue. I can see where this is leading and it is not good for UNT.

I am not that worried about the money Baylor will lose, it is the amount of public money leaving the state of Texas if the Big twelve falls apart. The Texas OU game alone brings 20-30 million to the Dallas area each year or so I have read.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If there is nothing wrong with A&M acting in their own self interest then there is nothing wrong with Baylor and the others doing the same, right?

Fair enough. But Baylor doesn't have a case. There's no law that I'm aware of that you cant move to another conference if you so wish too. Everybody knows Baylor is doing this because most conferences have no use for that school and the city of Waco. Again I didn't have anything against Baylor before but they're being complete morons right now.

Fair enough. But Baylor doesn't have a case. There's no law that I'm aware of that you cant move to another conference if you so wish too. Everybody knows Baylor is doing this because most conferences have no use for that school and the city of Waco. Again I didn't have anything against Baylor before but they're being complete morons right now.

iirc theres part of the agreement signed by teams last year that said that the teams promised to stay together. if a&m chooses to leave, baylor (and several other big 12 schools) want to make sure they get the money they deserve since a&m broke the contract. baylor (while maybe over the top) is doing everything they can to fight for their life right now. without the big 12 that school is nothing and they will drop off the athletics map (if they are even on the map to start with).

If there is nothing wrong with A&M acting in their own self interest then there is nothing wrong with Baylor and the others doing the same, right?

Disagree! A&M’s actions are based on their work and trying to improve themselves based on the efforts they have chosen to put in. Baylor on the other hand is not attempting to improve anything. They want the ability to sit back and be the bottom feeder -- AS LONG AS THEY KEEP GETTING THEIR CHECKS :money: . So yes, call A&M greedy for making a commitment and investing in their program to try to better themselves (sounds like that school up in Denton :startle: ), but, IMO, Baylor is even more greedy since they are not willing to make any commitment to improve themselves.

iirc theres part of the agreement signed by teams last year that said that the teams promised to stay together. if a&m chooses to leave, baylor (and several other big 12 schools) want to make sure they get the money they deserve since a&m broke the contract. baylor (while maybe over the top) is doing everything they can to fight for their life right now. without the big 12 that school is nothing and they will drop off the athletics map (if they are even on the map to start with).

I see you are an I-State fan, welcome! What is I-State fan's hope from all this Big12 potential implosion? I'm sure first, like Baylor, you would like the Big12 to remain intact. Aside from that what would be option b. or c.? Rebuild the Big12 by adding CUSA/MWC teams or have ISU head to the Big East as is rumored for KU and KSU?

• Downvote 1

As others have said they may have a case based on the commitment/contract all member schools made. I just don't see how they are being morons. They are doing everything they can to help themselves, just like A&M. I doubt you would feel the same way if RV were threatening a suit to get UNT included in the reformed Big 12.

Disagree! A&M’s actions are based on their work and trying to improve themselves based on the efforts they have chosen to put in. Baylor on the other hand is not attempting to improve anything. They want the ability to sit back and be the bottom feeder -- AS LONG AS THEY KEEP GETTING THEIR CHECKS :money: . So yes, call A&M greedy for making a commitment and investing in their program to try to better themselves (sounds like that school up in Denton :startle: ), but, IMO, Baylor is even more greedy since they are not willing to make any commitment to improve themselves.

Hmm, kind of like the Pittsburg Pirates then? I don't think they aren't willing to commit to improving themselves, they are just not as big as the large Big 12 state schools. For what it is worth I think just about all of the BCS auto-bid schools are greedy. I don't see how Baylor is being more greedy than A&M or TU or anyone else.

I see you are an I-State fan, welcome! What is I-State fan's hope from all this Big12 potential implosion? I'm sure first, like Baylor, you would like the Big12 to remain intact. Aside from that what would be option b. or c.? Rebuild the Big12 by adding CUSA/MWC teams or have ISU head to the Big East as is rumored for KU and KSU?

i really hope the b12 stays together but right now as far as i know baylor wont give up their right to sue unless OU is committed to staying in the b12. we are hoping BYU would be interested (b/c they would still be able to keep their tv deal) and hopefully force those basterds from UT to give in to equal revenue sharing. ive also seen that UH is still hoping to get back into an AQ conference after the SWC fell apart but i really dont see that happening. our other option is to hopefully join the big east which would be a distance 2nd place

I'm not a lawyer but contracts are great and all but they can get broken and do get broken all the time. If I am not mistaken Texas A&M will pay their necessary exit fees the next couple of years to leave. Baylor gets its money through the Big 12 as a whole. The Aggies aren't collapsing the conference so to speak. And this isn't about just money...it's about long term future and Baylor knows they have very few places to go and a BCS conference is not very likely. But hey I don't really have a dog in this fight other than I see nothing wrong what the Aggies are doing and from my point of view Baylor is looking like the idiot.

• Upvote 1

i really hope the b12 stays together but right now as far as i know baylor wont give up their right to sue unless OU is committed to staying in the b12. we are hoping BYU would be interested (b/c they would still be able to keep their tv deal) and hopefully force those basterds from UT to give in to equal revenue sharing. ive also seen that UH is still hoping to get back into an AQ conference after the SWC fell apart but i really dont see that happening. our other option is to hopefully join the big east which would be a distance 2nd place

It will be hard to attract a school like BYU when a school within the Big12 is being held hostage there against their will. Threats won't keep schools happy to be in the conference together. The Big12 can't stay together with so many schools looking for other options.

• Downvote 1

It will be hard to attract a school like BYU when a school within the Big12 is being held hostage there against their will. Threats won't keep schools happy to be in the conference together. The Big12 can't stay together with so many schools looking for other options.

they are only being held against their will because they are going back on a promise. it should matter to BYU if the big12 collapses because they will just go back to being independent anyway. they might as well try to get into an AQ conference and helping return the b12 to prominence after this conference realignment is done. ive also heard rumors of ND/Pitt/Louisville also have been asked to join as well. im just ready for this greediness and stupidity to finally be done with so we can concentrate on football saturdays and not wasting our time with this