Where the heck is Coach C?

meangreenbob

I am a true believer that if you don't have a qb that is at least a threat to pull the ball back and run it or pull the ball back and deliver an accurate ball..you're toast in the spread offense. He has pulled the ball back twice tonight and he's not a threat. Throwing off the back foot even when there is no pressure is not a good sign for this season.

• Upvote 4

Outmanned up front is a bad bad problem to have! At least the announcers noticed the promising freshman Cyril Lemon several times. It's a process and we have not been able to get good lineman lately. BUT the Feldt brothers and Lemon set things up nicely down the road. As for this year, that's one of the best fronts we will see, and this staff will get the right combination of 5 guys soon. Also, we have to throw the ball on early downs to keep opposing coordinators honest.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Awful game plan IMO. What was worse they were very slow to change it. Why would anyone think much less an experienced coaching staff that NT could run the ball up the middle against 7 and 8 man fronts? It is hard for me to believe that this was Canales' game plan.

Yep, it appears to be pretty clear that the "run the damn ball" mandate was thrown down.

I don't think we ran a first down pass play until late in the second quarter. If that was the plan, it was a bad one. Against and agressive front overplaying the run, the best way to get them to back off is by running screen's and plays that get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly. We did neither. I also don't remember us moving the pocket once in the game. That coupled with bad line play is why Thompson was getting killed back there.

Edited by glick1980

If you think about it, this is one of the more positive things about that terrible game last night. We played much better once the offense opened up a bit. I was so frustrated with the game plan last night for the first half. I doubt they make that mistake again. Thompson did look scared at times, but made some good throws. He needs some time to get used to it being the guy. If he doesn't work out, there is still Osborn and McNulty.

I don't think we ran a first down pass play until late in the second quarter. If that was the plan, it was a bad one. Against and agressive front overplaying the run, the best way to get them to back off is by running screen's and plays that get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly. We did neither. I also don't remember us moving the pocket once in the game. That coupled with bad line play is why Thompson was getting killed back there.

Glick1980 you and I saw the same thing. I do not understand why more screens were not used this would probably have moved the chains. It would have opened up the deep pass and possibly the running game.

GMG