Texas A&M to SEC

Adub4ever

I was listening to the Ticket on the way home from work and some reporter from Aolfanhouse is saying that its almost a certainty that A&M will bolt the Big XII to join the SEC. The Longhorn network has apparently rubbed some Big XII schools the wrong way. The reporter went on to say that the SEC would love to get there foot in the door of Texas recruiting ( no shock there ) and all SEC schools would gladly vote for admitting A&M into the conference. He also points out that Texas A&M will never win a national championship playing second fiddle to Texas in the Big XII.... I will try to find the author and article but the rumors are spreading like wild fire.

What does this mean for UNT? Does the Big XII raid CUSA? Does CUSA then raid the Sunbelt?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-07-20/oklahoma-texas-am-may-look-at-moving-to-sec-because-of-texas-tv-network

Edited by Adub4ever
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was listening to the Ticket on the way home from work and some reporter from Aolfanhouse is saying that its almost a certainty that A&M will bolt the Big XII to join the SEC. The Longhorn network has apparently rubbed some Big XII schools the wrong way. The reporter went on to say that the SEC would love to get there foot in the door of Texas recruiting ( no shock there ) and all SEC schools would gladly vote for admitting A&M into the conference. He also points out that Texas A&M will never win a national championship playing second fiddle to Texas in the Big XII.... I will try to find the author and article but the rumors are spreading like wild fire.

What does this mean for UNT? Does the Big XII raid CUSA? Does CUSA then raid the Sunbelt?

Not surprising, but I wish they would give us a couple of years to prove our worth before starting the next shuffle. Right now, Houston, smu, UTEP, MWC teams, and possibly even a "return to the region" TCU would have a leg up on us as far as any fantasy Big 12 entrance is concerned. We would be a perfect geographical fit to replace the Aggies, but somehow I suspect the Big 12 will totally fall apart without them. Who knows where Texas would go.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not happening..

SEC is unlikely to expand and A&M is unlikely to be able to afford the exit fees. The concept only works if the Big 12 imploads and there is not exit fees. If not A&M is stuck paying the new set of fees that where included in the by-law changes after Neb and Col left..

Sounds good running out of somebody's mouth but does not make sense in the pocketbook for all partied involved including the SEC.

I do not think money is an issue for A&M, on top of the additional revenue that could be brought in with this move I could see it happening.

Not happening..

SEC is unlikely to expand and A&M is unlikely to be able to afford the exit fees. The concept only works if the Big 12 imploads and there is not exit fees. If not A&M is stuck paying the new set of fees that where included in the by-law changes after Neb and Col left..

Sounds good running out of somebody's mouth but does not make sense in the pocketbook for all partied involved including the SEC.

you think they are worried about some fee?.... if the SEC adds A&M and Oklahoma it would make plenty of sense for everyones pocketbooks trust me... Texas might have pissed off too many people...

I do not think money is an issue for A&M, on top of the additional revenue that could be brought in with this move I could see it happening.

This...money talks and the additional amount that the SEC would stand to make from this (and thus trickling down to A&M) would likely offset any fees or additional costs of moving conferences.

The SEC really doesn't need anybody. They were the first to have a conference championship, and they have had a hell of a BCS run. The next time they negotiate their TV deal, it will shatter records.

Maybe they don't need A&M per se, but it is a fact that they are drooling at the prospect. A&M has an open door anytime they want. Clemson is already good to go as the 14th team whenever the Aggies are ready to jump ship.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

UT & TAMU are joined at the hip. Who's going to perform the surgery down in Austin where our politicians gather?

It would be intriguing to see both go independent, though, because we should already know what one does the other soon will duplicate? For those 2 schools to go Indy' would IMHO open bigger doors (better conference/better known opponents all season long) for UNT quicker that otherwise most of us 'boomers will be long gone to see happen in Mean Green Country. The stadium is nice but for what has been going on in the NCAA last few years to the present we're still behind where we should have been. NOTE: Who is going to invite Gene Stallings to our new stadium debut game?:rolleyes:

Former UNT Board of Regent Winn Brown (now deceased) told me at a North Texas function that we should have made our dramatic move upward post our Abner Haynes/Sun Bowl era. I always wondered why it didn't happened post Joe Greene era teams when North Texas should have vaulted upward to never look backwards again; and that was while Hayden Fry was still at SMU.

The UNT Mean Green had as good a college football team in NCAA D1 in 1968 that there was when our level of talent had all but defeated the "almost" NCAA National Championship Arkansas Razorbacks that same Fall.

Wouldn't we all (who were around) have loved to have also seen seen North Texas play the Houston Cougars back in that same 1968 season? From Good Will Hunting the word...Ironical was that....neither UT or Arkansas had 1 black player on their 1968 teams while UNT and UH had already integrated. UH with Warren McVae in 1965 and UNT with Abner Haynes 10 years earlier. Darrell K. Royal's 1969 Texas Longhorn NCAA National Football Championship team would the the last year UT had an all white team, too.

Nevertheless, there are just some things about our program's athletic history I know many of us will never quite fathom; that is, why our leaders always seemed to want to retreat after we had reached some fairly impressive plateaus. That modus operendi on our leaders part became enough to have made many, many, many of our alums through those decades just say....screw it; so they fell in line with many other Texans to support the 2 Permanent University Funded state university darlins'. Just sayin'..

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

I seem to recall Texas A&M, OU and UT all got the better of the Big XII payouts in the new contract. Those 3 all get a larger, similar payout than the rest.

Although the revenue distribution is reportedly left unchanged — leaving it based on television appearances and weighted toward Texas A&M and the universities of Texas and Oklahoma — the new contract could equate to a major boost in revenue for Tech once the contract takes effect beginning with the 2012 football season.

Tech’s president Guy Bailey declined to comment on the financial details, but he sufficed it to say Tech’s piece of the Big 12 contract will be “significantly more” than the $10-12 million the university receives each year under its current contracts.

Bailey said the gains, when coupled with fewer schools getting a piece of the pie, within a few years will begin to yield “enormous” dividends for Tech — particularly after the league enters similar contract renewals with ESPN/ABC in 2015-2016.

Lubbock Online

Maybe they don't need A&M per se, but it is a fact that they are drooling at the prospect. A&M has an open door anytime they want. Clemson is already good to go as the 14th team whenever the Aggies are ready to jump ship.

If the SEC expands it will be A&M and Clemson. It will not be A&M and OK. The reason is one of the new member would have to go in the east and the other in the west. If it were A&M and OK who would go to the east. The SEC would not split OleMiss & MissSt, or Aub & Ala. That only leaves LSU and Arkansas.

Also, I do not see the SEC going to 16 teams for football. The reason Money. The Big Boys in the SEC are going to have 7/8 home games each and every year. Home games bring in Money for them.

I think A&M was just complaining so the Longhorn Network won't show high school games. And it appears to be working. The Big 12 announced tonight that there will be temporary ban on the LHN showing high school games. They might also not get to show the Big 12 game on the network.

I know A&M fans want to go to SEC but I just don't see it happening (plus I don't think it'd be a good move - they would get killed in SEC).

A&M at the earliest could leave for the SEC in two years from when they decide... even if they are sure they want to go right now, they wouldn't announce it until June of next year...

Last year, they had already made up their mind that if UT wasn't staying in the Big 12 they weren't just going to follow them to whatever conference they decided.

Now though, they are seeing yet again that UT is still very much in control of the Big 12 and are considering their options

The SEC would really love to have A&M, not just because it would open recruiting, but it would give the conference the right to renegotiate their TV contract

here's a good article from last week about the situation

http://tamu.scout.com/2/1086147.html

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1