Supreme Court Refused To Halt Murderer's Execution

http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_america/court-wont-stop-execution-mexican-220338338.html?orig_host_hdr=news.yahoo.com&.intl=us&.lang=en-us

Leal, a 38-year-old mechanic, was sentenced to lethal injection for the murder of Adria Sauceda, whose brutalized nude body was found hours after Leal left a San Antonio street party with her. The girl's head was bashed with a 30- to 40-pound chunk of asphalt.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

great decision for the american people...yet the obamanator sided with mexico and wanted it stayed...hmmmm....he must be unamerican!

From the article:

In 2005, President George W. Bush agreed with an International Court of Justice ruling that Leal and 50 other Mexican-born inmates nationwide should be entitled to new hearings in U.S. courts to determine if their consular rights were violated. The Supreme Court later overruled Bush.

From the article:

In 2005, President George W. Bush agreed with an International Court of Justice ruling that Leal and 50 other Mexican-born inmates nationwide should be entitled to new hearings in U.S. courts to determine if their consular rights were violated. The Supreme Court later overruled Bush.

Jeez... George Bush, soft on crime.

• Upvote 3

This was the right decision. The S-bag came here when he was two, so he most likely didn't see himself as an illegal alien. Second, There was no way for authorities to know that he was an illegal when questioning him since we're not allowed to check immigration status. It would have been up to him to inform the police that he was an illegal and wanted to speak with the consulate. Third, the law is designed to ensure that people who are arrested for crimes outside of their home questions have adequate legal representation. This guy had a defense attorney who has argued before the supreme court, plus 17 years of appeals. He had his due process.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Too bad Italy doesn't have the death penalty...that bitch Amanda Knox would certainly get what she has coming to her...

Pres. Obama needs to understand that all of his pressure to stay the execution should have been done quietly and behind the scenes.When you make the President's argument publlically (and for political purposes), you are inviting other countries to hold you hostage when innocent Americans abroad are accused (I really don't care about the guilty ones).

Not only that, but you weaken your own perception with other world leaderss.

Everyone needs to understand that if you are arrested abroad, the right to meet with your consulate has nothing to do with the fairness you will experience in the criminal proceedings or while you are in custody. It's a 15 minute meeting where the consulate will explain your rights in that particular country. Since we have the miranda rights requirement for people in custody in this country, the consulate warning is overkill, and is used by countries who don't believe in the death penalty to bi+ch and moan on those cases. You think they address it on any other case (like life in prison)? Doesn't happen. Also, the right to consult the consulate only applies to in custody questioning according to international treaty.

And the real kicker on this case? The defendant was not in custody when his incriminating statements were made, thus eliminating the need for miranda or to be advised of consultation with the consulate.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does Italy practice the death penalty?

No... we are the only Western nation that still uses the death penalty. But hey, it is a great deterrent!

America - Last in abolishing the death penalty, and #1 in murders!

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

No... we are the only Western nation that still uses the death penalty. But hey, it is a great deterrent!

That is simply not even close to true!

And that is with reported stats, many of the countries to the south of the border do not keep reliable stats so not to look bad. Many times people get murdered but don't get found so it does not count. Many of these countries don't have the most creditable police forces.

But even with numbers reported your stat is wrong unless you are skipping past per capita. And you are buying these Counties numbers.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-highest-murder-rates.html

http://www.data360.org/graph_group.aspx?Graph_Group_Id=441

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

http://www.photius.com/rankings/murder_rate_of_countries_2000-2004.html

From the last link:

Countries for which there is no adequate or comparable data are listed at the bottom of the table.

Because of differences in the legal definition of offences, data are not strictly comparable across countries.

Edited by Green Gas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

---He got what he deserved... He had even spent most of his life in the USA, not Mexico. He only claimed to be Mexican when he thought it might help him.

---As for the death penalty, I support it when it is certain that the person committed the crime, but not when there is any doubt they did it. Project Innocence has demonstrated that several people have been convicted that had nothing to do with the crime they were accused of. DNA results released them much later (a few had died or a very few had been executed).

---Knox... There is a lot of doubt that she is guilty, and recent news seem to show a lot of "evidence" is very flawed.

• Upvote 3

By last "western country", I am guessing you are talking about Western Europe?

Ya, I'm very OK that we are much, much different than them, and hope we stay that way.

We have more freedom in this country to make choices than any in Western Europe. Unfortunately, too many people use that freedom to make very bad choices. When they do, they need to be punished. If the bad choice they made raises to the level of a Capital offense, then they need to be accountable for that choice. Even if it costs them their lives.

And we aren't the only country that still uses the death penalty. Not even close.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nations who have carried out the death penalty in 2010 (number):

Bahrain(1), Bangladesh (9+), Belarus (2), Botswana (1), China (2000+), Egypt (4), Equatorial Guinea (4), Iran (252+), Iraq (1+), Japan (2), Libya (18+), Malaysia (1+), North Korea (60+), Palestinian Authority (5), Saudi Arabia (27+), Singapore (1+), Somalia (8+), Sudan (6+), Syria (17+), Taiwan (4), USA (46), Vietnam (1+), Yemen (53+).

Nations that are confirmed to have carried out the death penalty so far in 2011:

Bangladesh, China, Iran, North Korea, the Palestinian Authority, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, UAE, and the United States.

I can't say that we are in very good company on this subject.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Nations who have carried out the death penalty in 2010 (number):

Bahrain(1), Bangladesh (9+), Belarus (2), Botswana (1), China (2000+), Egypt (4), Equatorial Guinea (4), Iran (252+), Iraq (1+), Japan (2), Libya (18+), Malaysia (1+), North Korea (60+), Palestinian Authority (5), Saudi Arabia (27+), Singapore (1+), Somalia (8+), Sudan (6+), Syria (17+), Taiwan (4), USA (46), Vietnam (1+), Yemen (53+).

Nations that are confirmed to have carried out the death penalty so far in 2011:

Bangladesh, China, Iran, North Korea, the Palestinian Authority, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, UAE, and the United States.

I can't say that we are in very good company on this subject.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. In this country, the death penalty is done the right way.

Death Penalty cases are, rightly so, the most scrutinized cases in our justice system. The death penalty is not pursued on every case where someone is eligible to receive said penalty. Only the worst of the worst are ever sentenced to death. If you think life without parole is an assurance that the person will never commit another crime, may I refer you to the Texas 7.

Look, I get that the Pope has the most consistent view that a human life is a human life, but personally I know that some people are just evil and need to pay the ultimate price, because they will never be anything but evil. I don't look at it as a deterent, but as a punishment (which is how it is defined, by the by).

As for those who believe abortion is OK, but are opposed to the death penalty, well, they are just hypocrites.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. In this country, the death penalty is done the right way.

Death Penalty cases are, rightly so, the most scrutinized cases in our justice system. The death penalty is not pursued on every case where someone is eligible to receive said penalty. Only the worst of the worst are ever sentenced to death. If you think life without parole is an assurance that the person will never commit another crime, may I refer you to the Texas 7.

Look, I get that the Pope has the most consistent view that a human life is a human life, but personally I know that some people are just evil and need to pay the ultimate price, because they will never be anything but evil. I don't look at it as a deterent, but as a punishment (which is how it is defined, by the by).

As for those who believe abortion is OK, but are opposed to the death penalty, well, they are just hypocrites.

Oh hell, red alert!

Though I can think of an incredibly important difference between the two. A murder, convicted by a jury of his(or her) peers and sentenced to death did a horrible thing causing them to forfeit their life. An unborn baby committed no such evil act. I don’t see how supporting one and opposing the other makes one a hypocrite.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Oh hell, red alert!

Though I can think of an incredibly important difference between the two. A murder, convicted by a jury of his(or her) peers and sentenced to death did a horrible thing causing them to forfeit their life. An unborn baby committed no such evil act. I don't see how supporting one and opposing the other makes one a hypocrite.

Preserving an evil life > killing an innocent life = hypocrite

Every time.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sorry, I disagree. I think life in prison is a far worse punishment, and the possibility that we can execute an innocent person is reason enough to abolish the obsolete practice of executing criminals.

Convicted murderers who are sentenced to life without parole can be housed in a Supermax facility where they are locked down almost 24/7 and have no interactions with other inmates. Capital murderers would go away for the rest of their lives - no parole.

But it is just my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry, I disagree. I think life in prison is a far worse punishment, and the possibility that we can execute an innocent person is reason enough to abolish the obsolete practice of executing criminals.

Convicted murderers who are sentenced to life without parole can be housed in a Supermax facility where they are locked down almost 24/7 and have no interactions with other inmates. Capital murderers would go away for the rest of their lives - no parole.

But it is just my opinion.

In the extremem cases where there is overwhelming proof of guilt, I would just rather get rid of them and not have our tax dollars pay for their food, clothing, and medical care for the rest of their lives. I do however, think that life in prison is worse for them, but which one is worse for us?