Coogfan Thread on UNT

Harry

View Postjml2010, on , said:

Hi NTX. Good to see you again. Now that you have slammed me for pointing out facts that can be backed up by your media guide, can you dispute anything I said?

NTX is correct. I am getting a 2nd degree at UNT and the UH game will possibly be the only UNT athletic event that I attend in the near future. It's not that UH is a big name opponent, it's that I hope/wish for UNT to pull the upset in the opening of the new stadium. Since you brought up stadium funding, has UH finished securing financing for the new stadium? Have several posters on Coogfans laughed at UNT's stadium?

NTX, I do not wish to get into a war of words with you on this site or any other. I was respectful in both of my posts and I hope you can do the same.

So why don't you go ahead and call UNT fans delusional? How long has it been since UNT has averaged 20k in attendance? So why do they need a 30k seat stadium?

The reason: You plan for where you're hoping to go, not where you've been. I'm hoping UNT makes it to where they not only need the 30k seats, but that it also has to expand past that. Based on their history it's going to be tough for them. But I'm not going to call them delusional for building a 30k seat stadium because they're building for the future.

Does UH need a 60k stadium this year? No. Will we need it in the next 5 years? Doubtful. But we didn't really need a 30k seat stadium 5 years ago. This season UH probably needs about a 40k seat stadium based on last year's attendance and a linear regression of attendance over the last decade. Instead we'll just sell out all of our games this year which increases season ticket demand in the future which increases overall attendance.

So we hope to build 40k soon based on recent goals and projected growth. But you prepare to need 50+k if the growth continues

Not that you care about the answer, you're only trying to point out UH negatives, but I'll answer your question for real UNT fans in case they're curious: Regarding UH's stadium funding situation, we're at $51 million of the $120mm without naming rights and without going to the general UH population, still sticking to just the big dollar donors. We need approximately $29mm more to start building. Initial estimates in the independent feasibility study had naming rights estimated at $30mm. That may be high, but I guess it depends on the length of the contract. UCF got $15mm for 15 years in 2006 from Bright House Networks. Supposedly there are 3 bidders currently for UH naming rights. We'll see how that goes.

Regarding your question about Coogfans laughing at UNT's stadium? No one has done that. We wish we had a new stadium too. Luckily, UH's needs right now and for the future are larger than what UNT currently needs. We already have a stadium that holds more than 30k (although UNT's is newer and nicer) so we don't need a 30k stadium. We need a larger stadium at a higher cost. If we wanted to build a $78mm stadium, we have enough funding in place to start construction. But we're building a $120mm stadium. It's going to take us some more time. But we will get there, just like UNT got the stadium they needed. I'm sure there are plenty of UNT fans who weren't sure that the day would come when they'd get a new stadium. Congrats to them. I for one am going to enjoy that stadium the 1st game of the season and hopefully more. I may even make the Mean Green Stadium movie night. It sounds like a fun event.

And like many UNT fans, I'd love for UH and UNT to start scheduling a home and home series. I think it would be a win-win for both schools. Close enough that fans can travel. Don't have to take 2 for 1 and 3 for 1 series with AQ schools. Screw them. If they won't do a home and home (or even 2 for 1s when you beat them), let them have FCS schools.

Click here to view the article

So far the Coog fans have been rather friendly in that thread.

I think you'll find most Coog fans to be friendly and reasonable, especially if you're friendly and reasonable. If you're a jerk, especially on an opponent's site, you can expect the same to be returned.

There will be exceptions as there are with every fan base, but if you show respect with Coog fans, you'll get it from most in return.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I think you'll find most Coog fans to be friendly and reasonable, especially if you're friendly and reasonable. If you're a jerk, especially on an opponent's site, you can expect the same to be returned.

There will be exceptions as there are with every fan base, but if you show respect with Coog fans, you'll get it from most in return.

--Show respect and you will usualy get respect ..... show disrespect and you will likely get the same. pretty much true everywhere.

--Having said that, there are a few jerks in every group .... some more than others.. especially if it contains a lot of arrogant SOBs (SMU).

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Their younger fan base is a lot like ours- except they get to celebrate wins with much greater frequency. The older alums (like my dad) all pine for the glory days of the SWC and will gladly talk to you about why they should have been included in the Big 12 and how Texas and A&M kept them out of it. Which again, sounds a lot like us (cough...SMU...cough)...

I attend a few UH games every year. My favorite had to be the win over Texas Tech a couple years ago. That was one of the best games I've ever witnessed. Place was as loud as Robertson's probably ever been. I love hyperbole.

Edited by Eagle1855

--Show respect and you will usualy get respect ..... show disrespect and you will likely get the same. pretty much true everywhere.

--Having said that, there are a few jerks in every group .... some more than others.. especially if it contains a lot of arrogant SOBs (SMU).

Try aTm or UT boards, especially as a Coog fan. You'd be surprised at the reception you get just for posting almost anything

I think this is a very polite and rationed statement. For a high school student.

unusual_sarcasm_notice.jpg

I see I've found one of the exceptions to the group of polite UNT posters.

Does the above disclosure help any?

Welcome to the board. Hope you make it to the game. And pushing for our inclusion into C-USA won't hurt my opinion of you either.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the board. Hope you make it to the game. And pushing for our inclusion into C-USA won't hurt my opinion of you either.

I plan on being at the UH game and hopefully a couple of other UNT games. I made it to the UNT spring game so I might as well go to some more real games.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Most UH fans are good people who support their school. They have a few delusional fans that think they are better than they are. For example this guy on coogfans.

coog57

Heisman winner

Rating: 2.8/5 this site

16953 posts this site

Ignore this Member

Posted: 6/30/2011 6:50 PM

Re: Houston, we're gettin' ready for ya !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very nice stadium. We want one like that but twice as nice and twice as big.

The only problem with this comment is they would need a stadium that seats 60k fans. Other than the 2007 Texas Bowl, UH hasn't played in front of 60K fans in Houston since the 1977 UT game at Rice Stadium. Heck since 1976, they have only averaged 22K fans per season. Maybe UH has finally turned the corner after the 2010 season in regards to fan support but I seriously doubt they will ever need a stadium that seats 60K fans.

Before NTX slams me, please know that he will accuse me of being someone else even though a couple mods over at the BE expansion boards have acknowledged I'm not who NTX thinks I am. I have a degree from a Big 12 school and I'm seeking a 2nd degree from UNT. I look forward to opening the stadium with UH and hope/wish that UNT can hang close with the coogs and eek a victory.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Most UH fans are good people who support their school. They have a few delusional fans that think they are better than they are. For example this guy on coogfans.

coog57

Heisman winner

Rating: 2.8/5 this site

16953 posts this site

Ignore this Member

Posted: 6/30/2011 6:50 PM

Re: Houston, we're gettin' ready for ya !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very nice stadium. We want one like that but twice as nice and twice as big.

The only problem with this comment is they would need a stadium that seats 60k fans. Other than the 2007 Texas Bowl, UH hasn't played in front of 60K fans in Houston since the 1977 UT game at Rice Stadium. Heck since 1976, they have only averaged 22K fans per season. Maybe UH has finally turned the corner after the 2010 season in regards to fan support but I seriously doubt they will ever need a stadium that seats 60K fans.

Before NTX slams me, please know that he will accuse me of being someone else even though a couple mods over at the BE expansion boards have acknowledged I'm not who NTX thinks I am. I have a degree from a Big 12 school and I'm seeking a 2nd degree from UNT. I look forward to opening the stadium with UH and hope/wish that UNT can hang close with the coogs and eek a victory.

Post 1 and it's to put down UH. That is this poster's MO. Everywhere he posts, his primary goal is to denigrate UH although he'll call it pointing out the facts.

He claims to go to UNT and has a degree from an unnamed Big XII school which for some reason he refuses to divulge. Maybe true...

Even though he may attend UNT, he's not a UNT fan. From ncaabbs thread http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=493873&pid=6453836#pid6453836:

"Here in DFW, I will only watch TCU if they are playing a big name school. I have no disrespect for TCU but unless they are playing someone big, I don't care to watch. Same thing with SMU and UNT"

That's right, he doesn't go to UNT games and won't even watch them on TV. Says he'll be at the opener though. Must be playing someone big. I may have attended more UNT games than jml since I went to 1 last year. I went to the UNT spring game. I also watched a couple of UNT games on TV last year, so I'm a bigger UNT fan than he is even though I didn't go to school there.

I'll bet you don't see him post anything about UNT on this board unless it's how UNT has funded a stadium and UH hasn't. He may post plenty of negative UH rants though. He's 1 for 1 so far.

BTW: He doesn't use the name jml2010 on Coogfans, but he won't reveal the name he uses. He must have a log in though because otherwise you can't read posts on that site.

Edited by NTXCoog

Post 1 and it's to put down UH. That is this poster's MO. Everywhere he posts, his primary goal is to denigrate UH although he'll call it pointing out the facts.

He claims to go to UNT and has a degree from an unnamed Big XII school which for some reason he refuses to divulge. Maybe true...

Even though he may attend UNT, he's not a UNT fan. From ncaabbs thread http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=493873&pid=6453836#pid6453836:

"Here in DFW, I will only watch TCU if they are playing a big name school. I have no disrespect for TCU but unless they are playing someone big, I don't care to watch. Same thing with SMU and UNT"

That's right, he doesn't go to UNT games and won't even watch them on TV. Says he'll be at the opener though. Must be playing someone big. I may have attended more UNT games than jml since I went to 1 last year. I went to the UNT spring game. I also watched a couple of UNT games on TV last year, so I'm a bigger UNT fan than he is even though I didn't go to school there.

I'll bet you don't see him post anything about UNT on this board unless it's how UNT has funded a stadium and UH hasn't. He may post plenty of negative UH rants though. He's 1 for 1 so far.

BTW: He doesn't use the name jml2010 on Coogfans, but he won't reveal the name he uses. He must have a log in though because otherwise you can't read posts on that site.

Hi NTX. Good to see you again. Now that you have slammed me for pointing out facts that can be backed up by your media guide, can you dispute anything I said?

NTX is correct. I am getting a 2nd degree at UNT and the UH game will possibly be the only UNT athletic event that I attend in the near future. It's not that UH is a big name opponent, it's that I hope/wish for UNT to pull the upset in the opening of the new stadium. Since you brought up stadium funding, has UH finished securing financing for the new stadium? Have several posters on Coogfans laughed at UNT's stadium?

NTX, I do not wish to get into a war of words with you on this site or any other. I was respectful in both of my posts and I hope you can do the same.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Coog fans are definitely respectable. Very reasonable people. I guess they've been humbled since they used to have a really great athletic program and now it's pretty much the definition of mid-major. Still, I live them and would love to have more game against them.

So why don't you go ahead and call UNT fans delusional? How long has it been since UNT has averaged 20k in attendance? So why do they need a 30k seat stadium?

The reason: You plan for where you're hoping to go, not where you've been. I'm hoping UNT makes it to where they not only need the 30k seats, but that it also has to expand past that. Based on their history it's going to be tough for them. But I'm not going to call them delusional for building a 30k seat stadium because they're building for the future.

Does UH need a 60k stadium this year? No. Will we need it in the next 5 years? Doubtful. But we didn't really need a 30k seat stadium 5 years ago. This season UH probably needs about a 40k seat stadium based on last year's attendance and a linear regression of attendance over the last decade. Instead we'll just sell out all of our games this year which increases season ticket demand in the future which increases overall attendance.

So we hope to build 40k soon based on recent goals and projected growth. But you prepare to need 50+k if the growth continues

Not that you care about the answer, you're only trying to point out UH negatives, but I'll answer your question for real UNT fans in case they're curious: Regarding UH's stadium funding situation, we're at $51 million of the $120mm without naming rights and without going to the general UH population, still sticking to just the big dollar donors. We need approximately $29mm more to start building. Initial estimates in the independent feasibility study had naming rights estimated at $30mm. That may be high, but I guess it depends on the length of the contract. UCF got $15mm for 15 years in 2006 from Bright House Networks. Supposedly there are 3 bidders currently for UH naming rights. We'll see how that goes.

Regarding your question about Coogfans laughing at UNT's stadium? No one has done that. We wish we had a new stadium too. Luckily, UH's needs right now and for the future are larger than what UNT currently needs. We already have a stadium that holds more than 30k (although UNT's is newer and nicer) so we don't need a 30k stadium. We need a larger stadium at a higher cost. If we wanted to build a $78mm stadium, we have enough funding in place to start construction. But we're building a $120mm stadium. It's going to take us some more time. But we will get there, just like UNT got the stadium they needed. I'm sure there are plenty of UNT fans who weren't sure that the day would come when they'd get a new stadium. Congrats to them. I for one am going to enjoy that stadium the 1st game of the season and hopefully more. I may even make the Mean Green Stadium movie night. It sounds like a fun event.

And like many UNT fans, I'd love for UH and UNT to start scheduling a home and home series. I think it would be a win-win for both schools. Close enough that fans can travel. Don't have to take 2 for 1 and 3 for 1 series with AQ schools. Screw them. If they won't do a home and home (or even 2 for 1s when you beat them), let them have FCS schools.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Why is that?

Honestly, between working, raising a family, going back to school and the 4 or 5 trips to see my original alma mater play football leaves very little time for other activities in the fall. I also fully admit that I had gone as far professionally as I could have. I decided to add another degree to my resume and pursue a new industry that is stable even in this ridiculous economy. UNT, much like UH ,is close to home for people that do not have the option of going back to their original alma mater. Unfortunately, students like myself and countless others doing the same thing at UNT and UH does not scream school loyalty or lead to active alumni following their respective schools after they graduate. There are a few exceptions but most large urban schools do not have a large following.

• Downvote 4

1.I haven't called UNT fans deslusional because I haven't seen them bragging about their attendance numbers. UH fans brag about getting over 30K for the 1st time since 1991 and they think they need a 60K seat stadium( according to coog57)Even though 2010 was a good year for UH in terms of attendance, history has proven that UH struggles to gain the support of the city, their citizens or students/alumni.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=215&f=2804&t=7622095

Moral of the story: If we (Alumni & Students) REALLY want more respect in this city/state/country for UH, we have to stop being our own worst enemy. Our indifference to our own athletic program & school has been FAR MORE DAMAGING than anything UT, A&M, Kim Helton, or Ann Richards (RIP) has ever done.

2. Even some of your own fans are questioning the AD's ability to finish the stadium finanicing.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=215&f=2804&t=7643302

3.Here is a link to a thread where a few Coog fans are laughing at UNT's new stadium and claiming that they will outnumber UNT fans.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=215&f=2804&t=7312693

Imagine it packed with RED on opening day. What a sight!

How much did the wing-shaped green tarp cost? Those seats will be covered with tarp 95% of the time.
Edited by jml2010

Their younger fan base is a lot like ours- except they get to celebrate wins with much greater frequency. The older alums (like my dad) all pine for the glory days of the SWC and will gladly talk to you about why they should have been included in the Big 12 and how Texas and A&M kept them out of it. Which again, sounds a lot like us (cough...SMU...cough)...

I attend a few UH games every year. My favorite had to be the win over Texas Tech a couple years ago. That was one of the best games I've ever witnessed. Place was as loud as Robertson's probably ever been. I love hyperbole.

A&M and UT didn't keep UH out, the state legislature did. UH, TCU, Rice and SMU simply had no one in power that demanded those schools be included.

Also no doubt that Tech-UH game was epic. It was especially nice seeing their fans rush the field after beating an unranked team by 1 point. Even though most Tech fans could care less about UH, they got the last laugh in a 35-20 victory last year.

1.I haven't called UNT fans deslusional because I haven't seen them bragging about their attendance numbers. UH fans brag about getting over 30K for the 1st time since 1991 and they think they need a 60K seat stadium( according to coog57)Even though 2010 was a good year for UH in terms of attendance, history has proven that UH struggles to gain the support of the city, their citizens or students/alumni.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=215&f=2804&t=7622095

And where do you see UH fans bragging about attendance? You may see 1 or 2 posts, but you'll see dozens saying we've improved (which we are proud of and will talk about) but we need to continue to improve.

And if you think coog57 is an idiot, I'd hate to see what that makes you. He's one of the top 100 trial lawyers in the US. You and your literalness. Maybe he should have said UH needs a stadium 1.5 to 1.67 times larger. Would that make you happy? But no, you have to explode things out of proportion because he wasn't precise to 2 decimal places.

2. Even some of your own fans are questioning the AD's ability to finish the stadium finanicing.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=215&f=2804&t=7643302

Hey UNT fans, did ANY of your fans doubt that UNT would ever build a new stadium? OMG, some pessimist posters on a message board (that probably know nothing) think UH won't get a new stadium so we're doomed to fail. Have you never been on a message board? There are varying opinions on them. Some know what's going on. Some are clueless. And some are trolls like you who just like to stir things up. I remember you read a UH message board troll saying that UH had secured naming rights and we were getting our Big East invitation the next week. So you had to go trumpet it on the Big East board to show how "delusional" our fans were. Never mind that MOST of the posters on that thread said it wasn't happening at that time.

3.Here is a link to a thread where a few Coog fans are laughing at UNT's new stadium and claiming that they will outnumber UNT fans.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=215&f=2804&t=7312693

Some fans think the end zone is odd. Is that laughing at the stadium? Also on that thread...

"unt's football facility dusts us."

"UNT's stadium looks fine, and I am happy for them."

"Stadium is coming along nicely. It actually looks better "live" than in the renderings."

"I think it's nice--distinct. Congratulations Mean Green fans."

"Exciting for you guys! I hope you enjoy your new home!"

Whoa! What horrible insults! BTW one of the posters "laughing" at the stadium was a UNT fan:

"And if you think the end zone is strange, wait until you see the windmills that will be installed to help power the facility! Should make the environmentalist happy. Personally, I think they will be an eyesore."

Quit trying to stir up trouble here. You're not a UNT fan. You're a UH hater for some reason (I know. You don't like that UH fans think we "deserve" to be in the BCS when we haven't "earned" it. Do you hate UNT because some of their fans think they "deserve" to be in CUSA or the MWC when they haven't "earned" it? Whatever that means.) Wish I knew what school you went to so we could see if your school "earned" it. There are tons of AQ schools that earned nothing other than they were in a conference 100 years ago.

Honestly, between working, raising a family, going back to school and the 4 or 5 trips to see my original alma mater play football leaves very little time for other activities in the fall. I also fully admit that I had gone as far professionally as I could have. I decided to add another degree to my resume and pursue a new industry that is stable even in this ridiculous economy. UNT, much like UH ,is close to home for people that do not have the option of going back to their original alma mater. Unfortunately, students like myself and countless others doing the same thing at UNT and UH does not scream school loyalty or lead to active alumni following their respective schools after they graduate. There are a few exceptions but most large urban schools do not have a large following.

And congrats, of your 5 posts, you actually made 1 that was about UNT. Unfortunately it was to say that UNT is not worthy of your support, just a school to use to try to advance yourself. You should be so proud. But in that 1 post, you still managed an attempt to put down UH. That makes 5 for 5 posts on this site negative about UH.

Why the hatred for UH? Why do you go so far as to come on a UNT board (where you go to school) JUST to post about UH that you have NO affiliation with? Why do you go on a Big East board to do the same thing? I've never seen one go so far out of their way to just to put down another school that they have no affiliation with. You've never posted on the UNT board about UNT, but a game with UH is coming up so you need to be on here to post negatively about it.

And what school do you support that you went to for your undergrad? I'm sure these people want to know since you're saying UNT is not worthy of your support, but your other school is.

And what name do you go by Coogfans? Does anyone on this board trust someone who goes by multiple screen names, won't say all of their screen names, and won't reveal what school they went to?

Edited by NTXCoog
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

NTX, I own so much space in your dome that you need to start paying me rent money. I was hoping to stay out of the war of words with you but you are obsessive and need help. You got blasted by the BE Expansion mods for accusing me of being someone I wasn't. Then you left because you didn't get your wish. Now you are on this board in which you have no affiliation stiring up trouble.

And where do you see UH fans bragging about attendance? You may see 1 or 2 posts, but you'll see dozens saying we've improved (which we are proud of and will talk about) but we need to continue to improve

Between the supposed Houston TV market and modest increase in attendance, you guys have been screaming from the rafter tops to anyone that will listen.

And if you think coog57 is an idiot,

Where did I call coog57 an idiot? I merely pointed out his assumption that UH needs a 60K seat stadium was funny. UH over the last 35 years hasn't had the need for a 30K seat stadium unless a big boy comes to town.

Hey UNT fans, did ANY of your fans doubt that UNT would ever build a new stadium?

I honestly have no clue because that was before I started at UNT. I do know that UT, Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, TCU, SMU, UNT and Texas State have completed/or in the process of completing/starting stadium renovation/construction. TCU, SMU, UNT and Texas St are doing this without the help of BCS money. What is UH's excuse?

Some fans think the end zone is odd. Is that laughing at the stadium?

I just found it humorous that some UH fans are laughing at UNT when UH plays in Robertson Stadium and can't complete stadium financing.

Quit trying to stir up trouble here. You're not a UNT fan. You're a UH hater for some reason (I know. You don't like that UH fans think we "deserve" to be in the BCS when we haven't "earned"

Remember NTX, I am a student at UNT and you are a guest. I don't hate UH. I do hate some UH posters who over glamorize UH. You are correct, I don't think UH deserves to be in a BCS conference. Other than a TV market, what has UH done to warrant a BCS invite? Does UH win C-USA on a consistent basis? Does UH have a history of selling out or coming close to selling out over the last 35 years?

Why do you go on a Big East board to do the same thing?

I have already explained to you that I have family that graduated from West Virginia and Pitt. I find expansion talk interesting and enjoy the back and forth among most of the members over there.

And what school do you support that you went to for your undergrad?

Why does it matter? It could be OU, OSU, Tech or Baylor. I enjoy the privacy of people not knowing where I have my 1st degree. The internet is serious business and I have no desire for people to know my identity.

And what name do you go by Coogfans?

Why does it matter? I don't post over there. I merely browse that site to see what is being said.

• Downvote 1