Gmg.com Bowl 8 - Rules

KRAM1

GOMEANGREEN.COM BOWL VIII

FLAG FOOTBALL RULES

START OF THE GAME

1) Game time is starting time. The officials watch will be the timepiece used to decide game time.

2) The WHITE TEAM will be designated the HOME TEAM and shall call the toss. The winner of the toss shall have first choice of the options for EITHER the first or second half. The loser shall have the first choice of options for the half the winner does not select. The options are: to choose whether a team will play offense (receive) or defense or to choose the goal a team will DEFEND. Teams automatically switch ends at the half.

GAME TIME AND TIME OUTS

1) Games will consist of four (4) 15 minute quarters. The first and third quarters will be played under a running clock. The second and fourth quarters will be played under a running clock with the exception that within the last two minutes of each quarter the clock will be stopped for such situations as: time-outs, penalties, change of possessions, out of bounds plays, incomplete passes and all scores.

2) Half-time will be ten (10 minuets in duration. There will be a five (5) minute break between the first and second quarter and the third and fourth quarter.

3) The offensive team has 25 seconds from the time the ball and restraining line is set by the officials to put the ball back into play. If the team exceeds 25 seconds a delay of game penalty will be assessed.

4) A game or half cannot end on a defensive penalty unless the penalty is refused.

PASSING

1) All players are eligible to receive a pass

2) Only one forward pass per down (either over handed or underhanded) is allowed.

3) No forward hand-offs between the quarterback and the center are allowed.

4) At the time of a pass reception, the receiver must have one foot down and in bounds for a complete pass (ball in complete control).

5) Any number of backward or lateral passes are permitted.

FUMBLES

1) All fumbled balls touching the ground are dead immediately at the spot the ball first touches the ground and the ball is next put in play from that spot.

2) The team fumbling the ball retains possession except on fourth down.

3) The “kick” which touches after being touched by a receiver is, is dead at that spot.

4) All incomplete laterals or passes behind the line of scrimmage will be spotted where the ball lands.

5) Any player catching a pass or fumbled ball that does not touch the ground can advance that ball.

6) The offensive team may not fumble a ball forward in mid-air to advance the ball.

FLAG BELTS AND LEGAL “TACKLES”

1) Each player must wear a flag belt. Each team should wear a different color flag belt id available. Every player must have their shirt tucked in their pants.

2) If a player losses his/her flag belt and has possession of the ball, the defense must touch them with ONE HAND between the shoulders and knees to make a legal “tackle”.

3) A legal tackle is made when a defensive player detaches the flag from the ball carrier.

4) A shielding infraction will be called if a ball carrier uses his/her arms, hands, the ball or clothing to hide or prevent an opponent from pulling the flag.

5) The ball is dead if either knew of the ball carrier touches the ground at any time.

TIE AND OVERTIME GAMES

1) In case of a tie at the end of regulation play, overtime will be played.

2) In overtime, each team will get four downs from the 10 yard line (closest to their opponents goal) to score. The team that is able to score in the fewest number of downs wins.

3) Each team will get one (1) one-minute time out per overtime.

EQUIPMENT

1) Only sneakers and artificial turf shoes are permitted (no metal cleats, spikes or bare feet will be allowed).

2) No jewelry (rings, necklaces, or earrings) is to be worn when playing.

FIELD DIMENSIONS AND DOWNS

The game will be played on a regulation 100-yard long, 50-yard wide playing surface. A first down will be earned upon a gain of 20-yards by the offensive team within the allowed number of downs (4).

NUMBER OF PLAYERS

1) There is a minimum of six (6) players per team to start a game with a maximum of eleven (11) players per team on the field at any one time.

2) Free substitution is allowed after the ball is ready for play and before the snap, each player or entering substitute of an offensive team can be lined up anywhere behind the line of scrimmage.

3) There will be a one-yard restraining line for the defensive team while in any formation or situation; the officials will mark off the restraining line.

4) Only one offensive player may be in motion parallel to the line at any one time before the ball is snapped.

LINE OF SCRIMMAGE

The team in possession of the ball must have a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 7 players on the line of scrimmage at the start of each offensive play. A maximum of 5 defensive players may rush the passer after the snap and upon a count of "two" (2 second delay) after the snap.

PUNTING

1. The referee will ask the offensive team on all fourth downs if the intend to punt or “go for it”. There are no fakes allowed.

2) All players must remain at the line of scrimmage until the ball is kicked. Defensive players may put their hands up and/or jump to block the punt as long as they do not cross the line of scrimmage.

3) On a bad snap, the ball is dead where it first touches the ground.

4) The ball may be punted or an arcing “pass” may be substituted for an actual punt.

BLOCKING

1) The only type of blocking allowed is screen blocking. All blocking must be made with the blocker in an upright position with both hands clasped in front or behind their backs or directly at their sides.

2) No player may use his/her hands to go through, over or around an opponent.

3) No body blocks, roll blocks or shoulder blocks are allowed at any time (Penalty will be expulsion from the game). Offensive players may not keep their elbows out when blocking, they must be against the body.

INADVERTENT WHISTLE

The ball will be ruled dead at the spot where it was when the whistle was blown.

SAFETY AND TOUCHBACKS

1) A fumbled ball by an offensive player in their end zone constitutes a safety

2) If a team intercepts a pass in the end zone and does not advance the ball out of the end zone it is a touchback.

3) If a team receives a punt in their end zone and does not advance it out of the end zone, it is a touchback. The ball is put in play on the 10-yard line.

4) Following a safety, the ball shall be placed on the 10-yard line of the team credited with the safety.

SCORING

1) Touchdown scored by a male participant: 6 points

2) Touchdown scored by a female participant: 9 points

3) Safety: 2 points

4) Point after Touchdown:

A. From 3 yard-line: 1 point

B.. From 10-yard line: 2 points

C. Extra point scored by a female participant adds one (1) point to either

PENALTIES

Section 1: Penalties with a loss of 5 yards:

Delay of game

Illegal substitution

Free kick infractions

Interference with opponent or ball before snap

False start or any other illegal act by the snapper

Encroachment

Less than 4 players on line before the snap

Illegal position at snap

Player illegally in motion

Illegal shift

Illegally handling the ball forward

Illegal forward pass (includes loss of down)

Illegal procedure

Offsides

Section 2: Penalties with a loss of 10 yards

Delaying start of either half

Pass interference-(if defensive ball spotted at infraction & first down)

Holding, illegal block or blocking below the waist

Striking, kicking, kneeing (also result in disqualification)

Clipping, tripping or hurdling

Illegal participation

Unsportsmanlike conduct by player, coach or attendant

Pushing runner

Illegal use of hands or arms

Roughing the kicker (automatic first down)

Roughing the passer

Holding the ball carrier to remove the flag

Guarding the flag or stiff arming

Section 3:

Measurement of half the distance to the goal line is done inside the 10-yard line for 5-yard penalties and inside the 20-yard line on 10-yard penalties.

GOMEANGREEN!!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Downvote 1

Wow.. that's a lot of rules. In years past, I just asked Kurt not to let Pierow jump on me after throwing me to the ground. Should be a lot of fun this year. We have lots of returning scholarship players from the Championship years.. so I'm thinkin I'll call this one "The Farewell to Fouts Autograph Bowl".

I'll use the Sharpie Emmitt will have in his sock.

GMG!!!

This brings up a good question. Live substituting like the basketball game?

Yes...I do believe the rules call for this. Just one at a time. One leaves...one can come on...during stoppage of play of course.

• Downvote 1

and 6 man teams on top of that! I am not gonna lie.......I really wish we were doing Xtra Pts. and Field Goals too.

Rules call for a minimum of 6 players...the max is eleven...just like "big boy" football. I would suspect that with the number of players we have signed up and the size of the playing field used, that there will always be 11 on each side.

• Downvote 1

What gains a First Down ? I'm guessing 5 zones based on the 20's and 40's if using a 100-yd field.

Illegal forward pass normally carries a loss of down with the yardage. Is that in effect here ?

Is there a 3-point PAT attempt (from 15-yd line) ?

Some good questions from one of our game day referees...man, this is what i get for trying to come up with some actual rules...who likes rules anyway, right?

OK...here we go...as commissioner I add the following to the rules of play.

1) First down...20 yards

2) Illegal forward pass does, indeed, carry a loss of down penalty along with the yardage.

3) No 3-point extra point in this game unless the extra point is scored by a female participant from 10 yards out...see rules regarding extra points.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've never heard of a flag game taking up the entire field. I hope you guys stay hydrated.

We do the exceptional at UNT. Are you coming to the game? Hope so.

We normally play on a smaller field, but with as many players as we have signed up this time...including so many ex-UNT players...we need teams with more players...more players = larger playing field. Lots of time to sub and enough playing time for everyone.

By the way...does beer count as hydration in this case???

eppy...hope to see you on the 11th. Bring your checkbook and bid on lots of the great items we have in the silent auction. It will help the scholarship fund a great deal.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you are playing in the game, please take a look at the rules of play. Nothing you have probably not seen before if you have played a bit of flag football, but a few "tweaks" for the game on the 11th.

let's get ready to rumble!

Don't you think they will be too tired at half time for dancing? Also, not a lot of females out there. Guess the pairings could get interesting...

gallery_11007_23_13873.gif

OK, I try to spell it the other way, but keep seeing it spelled both ways...I know, I know...minutes...give a guy a break...even spell check misses this one...At least it looks like someone read the rules. I wish i could say i did it on purpose to see if anyone was looking, but, alas, no!

:bow::stuff:

OK, I try to spell it the other way, but keep seeing it spelled both ways...I know, I know...minutes...give a guy a break...even spell check misses this one...At least it looks like someone read the rules. I wish i could say i did it on purpose to see if anyone was looking, but, alas, no!

:bow::stuff:

Unintentional comedy is still funny and on this board someone was bound to catch that for you!

• Upvote 1

The last time we played at Fouts we did not use the entire field thank goodness because I think most of us would have croaked if we had. And I think that game was early April. Maybe we can decide that the day of the game once we have the final count of everyone that actually shows and we know how many subs each team will have? I don't want anyone getting heatstroke or anything. Especially since we are playing during the hottest part of the day.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The last time we played at Fouts we did not use the entire field thank goodness because I think most of us would have croaked if we had. And I think that game was early April. Maybe we can decide that the day of the game once we have the final count of everyone that actually shows and we know how many subs each team will have? I don't want anyone getting heatstroke or anything. Especially since we are playing during the hottest part of the day.

Chicken...so, how does running 20 yards on a 60 X 40 yard field help any more than running 20 yards on a 100 X 50 yard field? Just asking...strap it on, suit up and let's get ready to rumble. I'm a lot older than anyone playing and I'm going out to play golf today in 97 degree heat walking and carrying my bag! No, I will not be running between shots, but I'll get a lot less rest than the free substitutions in the flag football game will allow and it will take about 3 1/2 hours to play today. But, if I do keel over, we'll definitely shorten the field. Deal?

Remember, it's a FLAG FOOTBALL game not full pads and tackle...BUT, if it is a real problem with numbers we can definitely accommodate a different field size. I do think everyone will enjoy the full field once they see the player numbers. Plenty for 11 per side and plenty for lots of substitutions...when you get tired or hot...sub out and grab a beer (or water).

I thought I'd see lots of good friendly trash talk on the boards between the teams, but, no, it's talk about the big field. GEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..... :notfair::beerhat:

OK, whoever gave me the negative points for this post is now designated the guy to run the show next year. :judge:

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I am fine with the full size field and it appears that we have plenty of players to allow for quick rotations to avoid any issues with heat problems.

You, Sir, are a competitor! No excuses...let's get ready to rumble!

• Upvote 1

Chicken...so, how does running 20 yards on a 60 X 40 yard field help any more than running 20 yards on a 100 X 50 yard field? Just asking...strap it on, suit up and let's get ready to rumble. I'm a lot older than anyone playing and I'm going out to play golf today in 97 degree heat walking and carrying my bag! No, I will not be running between shots, but I'll get a lot less rest than the free substitutions in the flag football game will allow and it will take about 3 1/2 hours to play today. But, if I do keel over, we'll definitely shorten the field. Deal?

HA!

I'm a long ways from my last flag football game: is the whistle blown after a first down? If not, I am guessing this is up to 40 yards extra difference if a big play is made for a TD.

I think we can agree that I'd be a little bit more winded if play allows for 20+ yards and the field is 40+ yards bigger. Especially skill positions.

• Upvote 2

HA!

I'm a long ways from my last flag football game: is the whistle blown after a first down? If not, I am guessing this is up to 40 yards extra difference if a big play is made for a TD.

I think we can agree that I'd be a little bit more winded if play allows for 20+ yards and the field is 40+ yards bigger. Especially skill positions.

I'm not sure if they are going to change that this year but in the past no whistle after first down. And when one of the really athletic guys takes off it's pretty much impossible to stop them (on a shortened field). If everyone loves the idea of a 100 yard field then I am game. I'm playing no matter what. Should definitely be interesting. LOL

Edited by mrsgreengoblin

I'm not sure if they are going to change that this year but in the past no whistle after first down. And when one of the really athletic guys takes off it's pretty much impossible to stop them (on a shortened field). If everyone loves the idea of a 100 yard field then I am game. I'm playing no matter what. Should definitely be interesting. LOL

Can any medical supply guy donate us some oxygen tanks?