Johnny Jones On Fox 4 Tonight

Keith7

This was good press for us, but it made me uncomfortable listening to the talk of JJ and coaching offers. He said he's excited about the future at UNT, but is willing to listen to other offers. Then Doocie made some comments about JJ taking his phone back off of silent when the segment was done.

I hope Jones is with us for a long time to come.

JJ does not know how good he has it here, he can underachieve with a senior-laden team and the fans will be happy because he got 20 wins. If he gets out-coached by Sun Belt Coaches he will be in trouble at a bigger conference. Let him take the offers though, if he does not truly want to be here especially with the class he has coming in then so be it. The grass is not greener on the other side, only the money is green and there is more of it for a short period of time. :thumbsd:

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

JJ does not know how good he has it here, he can underachieve with a senior-laden team and the fans will be happy because he got 20 wins. If he gets out-coached by Sun Belt Coaches he will be in trouble at a bigger conference. Let him take the offers though, if he does not truly want to be here especially with the class he has coming in then so be it. The grass is not greener on the other side, only the money is green and there is more of it for a short period of time. :thumbsd:

So, does the "quitter" tag apply to coaches, also?

Just wondering.

Could be, but I think Abraham Lincoln was President the last time we had a coach quit, so I forget. :unsure:

actually, our former bb coach who is now at ill.state quit ,

as did fb coach matt simmon because of a.d.craig helwick [sic?] insane oc schedule. he basically was funding the athletic dept. with body bag games in both sports. i don't see jj moving west, as his recruiting base seems to be more s.e. based. the troy bb coach just finished his 29th season there, so perhaps jj will stay put. however, if a major conference has an opening in the s.e., then i'm sure he would be interested.

• Downvote 3

So, does the "quitter" tag apply to coaches, also?

Just wondering.

I am not calling him a quitter, but I could see JJ being much like Pelphery, takes a big time job with lots of cash and then does little.

Love for JJ to stay, but if he wants to go find another position, thanks for the times. He will miss out on one hell of a recruiting class he has signed and sealed already.

as did fb coach matt simmon because of a.d.craig helwick [sic?] insane oc schedule. he basically was funding the athletic dept. with body bag games in both sports. i don't see jj moving west, as his recruiting base seems to be more s.e. based. the troy bb coach just finished his 29th season there, so perhaps jj will stay put. however, if a major conference has an opening in the s.e., then i'm sure he would be interested.

Hmmm...maybe my memory is off, but I seem to remember Simon being very pissed that he was fired and replaced by a Buick as we were returning to 1A, and I also thought that Coach Jankovich was pushed out in favor of Trilli. Last "quitter" I recall in the two major men's sports was Moore to Tech, but again I could be wrong.

• Upvote 2

Jank did not quit, he was fired and did not take it well. Simon was also terminated, where are you getting your information? Only coaches to move on from NT in decades were Jerry Moore and Hayden Fry in football. Spika quit as basketball coach after Rust was made AD and Harry Miller took a job at another school after only one year as basketball coach. There was a woman's bb coach who left for A & M and Judy Nelson who left after her husband was fired.

JJ has been here a long time in coaches' terms, I hope he stays longer; but he had very mixed results this year. He got the 20 wins, a good accomplishment at NT even though the conference was weak and so was most of the oc schedule. He led the team to a great end of season run particularly with the shape of the team at that point. He however failed to have the breakout year I and others thought this team would be capable of. He failed to add anything to a strong senior nucleus that would have made this team stronger and had a devastating mid year slump.

There is no doubt that JJ has been a great coach for NT and resurrected a team that was at its low after Trilli. Five consecutive 20 year win seasons is great for a program like NT. On paper he has the best recruiting class since the Robbins Tubbs area. I really don't think JJ is going anywhere unless he get the big offer with the success he has at NT and the recruits he has coming in. He is playing the negotiation cards now, and I wish him luck.

• Upvote 2

This is crazy talk. I hope JJ stays with us for a long time because winning in Texas is not easy and JJ has us positioned very nicely. Had we won the tourney I really doubt we would be in a play in game. I would loved to have seen us against a San Diego State or Notre Dame. This tourney is way more open than ever before!

I saw what happened at NM after Bliss left for Baylor. Though ticked about another 8 seeded UNLV Rebel team I don't want to run Kruger out of town. Hoops are too much fun when you are competing at the top of the league and for tourney bids each year.

GMG

2 High Profile Jobs open right now: OU fired Capel (VCU Coach) and Arkansas fied Pelphery (USA Coach) see a bad pattern JJ?

Plenty of coaches at "big time" schools got their starts in Mid Major land too though. That said, I don't see JJ leaving this offseason.

Jank did not quit, he was fired and did not take it well. Simon was also terminated, where are you getting your information? Only coaches to move on from NT in decades were Jerry Moore and Hayden Fry in football. Spika quit as basketball coach after Rust was made AD and Harry Miller took a job at another school after only one year as basketball coach. There was a woman's bb coach who left for A & M and Judy Nelson who left after her husband was fired.

JJ has been here a long time in coaches' terms, I hope he stays longer; but he had very mixed results this year. He got the 20 wins, a good accomplishment at NT even though the conference was weak and so was most of the oc schedule. He led the team to a great end of season run particularly with the shape of the team at that point. He however failed to have the breakout year I and others thought this team would be capable of. He failed to add anything to a strong senior nucleus that would have made this team stronger and had a devastating mid year slump.

There is no doubt that JJ has been a great coach for NT and resurrected a team that was at its low after Trilli. Five consecutive 20 year win seasons is great for a program like NT. On paper he has the best recruiting class since the Robbins Tubbs area. I really don't think JJ is going anywhere unless he get the big offer with the success he has at NT and the recruits he has coming in. He is playing the negotiation cards now, and I wish him luck.

simon was "pushed out", jake leaving was mutual according to what helwick told me at the time. i am getting my information based upon facts as i know thenm to be. however, i have slept since then.

• Downvote 1

simon was "pushed out", jake leaving was mutual according to what helwick told me at the time. i am getting my information based upon facts as i know thenm to be. however, i have slept since then.

Both were fired. Simon was reassigned but as far as I know did nothing but collect checks for a couple of years. Jank may have agreed to leave given no other alternative, the AD was set on bringing his buddy from UT, Trilli. Story is that Jank would not agree to the crazy scheduling that Helwig had lined up to finance the program and was shown the door. Remember that NT probably had the toughest schedule in basketball and it backfired spectacularly.. They canceled most of the schedule and would not further play lower level conferences like the Southland. The AD with Trilli's help almost killed the program. Not only the losing but the disgraceful way they reneged on commitments including renewing most of the ships of the players recruited by the prior staff.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Both were fired. Simon was reassigned but as far as I know did nothing but collect checks for a couple of years. Jank may have agreed to leave given no other alternative, the AD was set on bringing his buddy from UT, Trilli. Story is that Jank would not agree to the crazy scheduling that Helwig had lined up to finance the program and was shown the door. Remember that NT probably had the toughest schedule in basketball and it backfired spectacularly.. They canceled most of the schedule and would not further play lower level conferences like the Southland. The AD with Trilli's help almost killed the program. Not only the losing but the disgraceful way they reneged on commitments including renewing most of the ships of the players recruited by the prior staff.

thanks for clarification. also,if memory serves,Helwig's son was on the bb team under Trilli. don't know if he was on scholarship.perhaps you do.

thanks for clarification. also,if memory serves,Helwig's son was on the bb team under Trilli. don't know if he was on scholarship.perhaps you do.

Craig Helwig did have a son at North Texas, Carter if I remember correctly, but he never played any sports.

Man...a lot of folks here seem to be OK with JJ's departure if it happens. What do you expect JJ to say on local TV. Hey RV said he'll renegotiate my deal and I'm thrilled with UNT. Facts are that RV gave new FB HC $750,000 on a 56-85 (my numbers maybe a game off), and then gave an AC OC as much money as JJ's salary for Canales to stay. Has the FB team been winning? JJ's produced 5 20 win seasons and brought UNT basketball back from what once looked like the death penalty. Now JJ as recruited the 31st best class in the nation before Tony Mitchell steps foot on campus. Tony Mitchell, UT, BU, MU, OSU, Florida and every other BSC school would love to have him on their roster no matter the rumors about the NBA. Where did he end up, UNT. Our new 750,000 FB HC hasn't ever recruited anyone of Tony Mitchell's talent to UNT, yet the coach who has is still making $200,000 something. JJ has every right to say he's looking at all his options so he can negotiate the best deal RV and the BOR will give him. I'm surprised how many on this board don't see JJ's situation for what it is.

Ok, lets talk about JJ performance with this years team and even the SBC Championship game. JJ somehow kept this team motivated to get them to the SBC championship game with a banged up team full of injuries. The ref's had a lot to do with the game going ULAR's way not to mention ULAR mugged our players up and down the court. You can point to clock management on JJ's part, but I'm sure he though his seniors would fight through adversity and play for the win. Lets then suppose we had won the game. Then we're off to March Madness with a team that has a rotation of 7 or maybe less. Our players a the end of the rotation are in some cases still injured and in a perfect world shouldn't play anyway. Point is, if we were in March Madness we'd still be going home after our first game or in the round of 32 at best.

Truth is I don't see JJ leaving UNT. If JJ had done a marginal job of recruiting this year and didn't have Tony Mitchell in the pipeline to play in Dec. 11 I'd feel differently. I believe JJ wants to build something special at UNT!!! I'm just as certain JJ wants to be paid for all the blood, sweat, and tears he's put in at UNT to get our team out of the "DARK DUNGEON'S OF PERPETUAL BB MEDIOCRITY!!!! JJ DESERVES EVERY PENNY HE CAN GET OUT OF RV AND THE BOR!!!! I hope JJ stick's it to the BOR and RV hard,or they happily give JJ the compensation package he and his assistance deserve!!! UNT administration have been able to get off paying it's coaches a paltry sum in the past. Maybe you could say you get what you pay for. JJ is the only UNT coach that's produced a "WINNER" and shows no signs of dropping off as far as quality of the product is concerned.

Let's face it folks. JJ has earned the money and it's time for UNT to "PONY UP". Must I go back and use the pay scale of our FB staff as an example!!! Point in fact the most highly paid FB staff in UNT history hasn't produced "SWAT" COMPARED TO THE PERFORMANCE OF JJ AND HIS STAFF!!!! :growl:

• Upvote 1

Man...a lot of folks here seem to be OK with JJ's departure if it happens. What do you expect JJ to say on local TV. Hey RV said he'll renegotiate my deal and I'm thrilled with UNT. Facts are that RV gave new FB HC $750,000 on a 56-85 (my numbers maybe a game off), and then gave an AC OC as much money as JJ's salary for Canales to stay. Has the FB team been winning? JJ's produced 5 20 win seasons and brought UNT basketball back from what once looked like the death penalty. Now JJ as recruited the 31st best class in the nation before Tony Mitchell steps foot on campus. Tony Mitchell, UT, BU, MU, OSU, Florida and every other BSC school would love to have him on their roster no matter the rumors about the NBA. Where did he end up, UNT. Our new 750,000 FB HC hasn't ever recruited anyone of Tony Mitchell's talent to UNT, yet the coach who has is still making $200,000 something. JJ has every right to say he's looking at all his options so he can negotiate the best deal RV and the BOR will give him. I'm surprised how many on this board don't see JJ's situation for what it is.

Ok, lets talk about JJ performance with this years team and even the SBC Championship game. JJ somehow kept this team motivated to get them to the SBC championship game with a banged up team full of injuries. The ref's had a lot to do with the game going ULAR's way not to mention ULAR mugged our players up and down the court. You can point to clock management on JJ's part, but I'm sure he though his seniors would fight through adversity and play for the win. Lets then suppose we had won the game. Then we're off to March Madness with a team that has a rotation of 7 or maybe less. Our players a the end of the rotation are in some cases still injured and in a perfect world shouldn't play anyway. Point is, if we were in March Madness we'd still be going home after our first game or in the round of 32 at best.

Truth is I don't see JJ leaving UNT. If JJ had done a marginal job of recruiting this year and didn't have Tony Mitchell in the pipeline to play in Dec. 11 I'd feel differently. I believe JJ wants to build something special at UNT!!! I'm just as certain JJ wants to be paid for all the blood, sweat, and tears he's put in at UNT to get our team out of the "DARK DUNGEON'S OF PERPETUAL BB MEDIOCRITY!!!! JJ DESERVES EVERY PENNY HE CAN GET OUT OF RV AND THE BOR!!!! I hope JJ stick's it to the BOR and RV hard,or they happily give JJ the compensation package he and his assistance deserve!!! UNT administration have been able to get off paying it's coaches a paltry sum in the past. Maybe you could say you get what you pay for. JJ is the only UNT coach that's produced a "WINNER" and shows no signs of dropping off as far as quality of the product is concerned.

Let's face it folks. JJ has earned the money and it's time for UNT to "PONY UP". Must I go back and use the pay scale of our FB staff as an example!!! Point in fact the most highly paid FB staff in UNT history hasn't produced "SWAT" COMPARED TO THE PERFORMANCE OF JJ AND HIS STAFF!!!! :growl:

I don't think anyone would be happy to see him leave, but most are realistic about trying to keep up with the big boys. No one thinks JJ shouldn't get a raise. Put me in the camp to say he deserves a pretty nice one.

Our new head Football Coach hasn't even started his first spring practice, can we cut him some slack? It took even JJ a while to build a winner. He didn't get Tony Mitchell to fall to UNT before he ever had organized practices.

Like your passion, but didn't you read Vito column that JJ make $335,000 this year, not quite paupers' wages and substantially over what Canales is making and about what Dodge's salary was. The article stated that compensation included a $25,000 bonus but that would put his base at $310,000, So I think he is getting paid for all the blood, sweat and tears he putting into his job and he is as he should be one of the highest paid basketball hc's in the Belt. I have no problem for JJ wanting more and apparently UNT is willing to up the ante. The assistants certainly should have raises. However, there has to be some correlation between the revenue the sport generates and the compensation. Football has been terrible for six years and still generates many times what the basketball program does.

As far as this year's performance, you can see both the good and bad. Bad, the coaching staff made a major error in recruiting by adding only one player to the team with that player being a big risk that has not paid off yet. The team absolutely underperformed for a lot of the year and was for a long streak an absolutely horrible defensive team. The good, the team had some very big and probably overrated victories over poor Tech and LSU teams. They gel after having a poor conference performance and should have won the Belt tournament. This despite a really banged up roster with only 8 ship players.

I think Johnny and his assistants will get well deserved raises and that is fine with me and most NT fans. However, I not sure what your point is about football. The most highly paid FB staff in UNT history has not coached a game at NT. Also with bonuses, the head football coach's salary is over $500K not $750,000.

• Upvote 1

Like your passion, but didn't you read Vito column that JJ make $335,000 this year, not quite paupers' wages and substantially over what Canales is making and about what Dodge's salary was. The article stated that compensation included a $25,000 bonus but that would put his base at $310,000, So I think he is getting paid for all the blood, sweat and tears he putting into his job and he is as he should be one of the highest paid basketball hc's in the Belt. I have no problem for JJ wanting more and apparently UNT is willing to up the ante. The assistants certainly should have raises. However, there has to be some correlation between the revenue the sport generates and the compensation. Football has been terrible for six years and still generates many times what the basketball program does.

As far as this year's performance, you can see both the good and bad. Bad, the coaching staff made a major error in recruiting by adding only one player to the team with that player being a big risk that has not paid off yet. The team absolutely underperformed for a lot of the year and was for a long streak an absolutely horrible defensive team. The good, the team had some very big and probably overrated victories over poor Tech and LSU teams. They gel after having a poor conference performance and should have won the Belt tournament. This despite a really banged up roster with only 8 ship players.

I think Johnny and his assistants will get well deserved raises and that is fine with me and most NT fans. However, I not sure what your point is about football. The most highly paid FB staff in UNT history has not coached a game at NT. Also with bonuses, the head football coach's salary is over $500K not $750,000.

Beat me to it. Last I heard, Coach McCarney is making around half a million, and Coach Jones is pulling in a good chunk over 300K. Based on tenure and past performance, especially in the recruiting area, I would hope that JJ could get his salary up closer to $400,000 with incentive bonuses. I've got no problem at all with retaining Coach Canales and paying him a nice salary. He showed us a lot last year, and I really think it was a great move to keep him on staff. We're lucky he decided to stay.

Edited by foutsrouts