History Of North Texas Football

adman

Does anyone know the number of original students enrolled in UNT when Joshua Chilton started it in 1890 above that hardware store?

For some reason I was thinking it was 7 but I can't find the answer anywhere. I've been on several UNT supported websites and they simply state that Chilton started the school in a rented second floor above a hardware store but make no mention to number of students.

Thanks for the help.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Does anyone know the number of original students enrolled in UNT when Joshua Chilton started it in 1890 above that hardware store?

For some reason I was thinking it was 7 but I can't find the answer anywhere. I've been on several UNT supported websites and they simply state that Chilton started the school in a rented second floor above a hardware store but make no mention to number of students.

Thanks for the help.

I couldn't find enrollment numbers for 1890-1891, but North Texas had 294 students enrolled during 1892-1893. Sorry I couldn't find a better answer for you.

If there were seven....I can guarantee that they were each wearing a different shade of green.

And they were not happy at all with the fact that growth was projected for Denton or within the college, so they decided to buy up as much land as possible in an area that is now located between Bonnie Brae and McCormick, south of I-35E. Now you know the rest of the story about Denia...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Important talking points of the day were:

Whether shooting the Albino passenger pigeon brought good luck to those for tests and such endeavors.

Controversy surrounding the use of black winks for the final tiddlywinks tournament of 1890. After this stunning act of buffoonery coach Darrell "Squidger" McGoo was terminated post haste.

The collection of two bits per semester from each student to build a new school cess pool in the Denia Settlement. Happy Times are here again they sang.

Levias Jackson was hired as the first President in July 1890 at which time 75% of school funds were diverted to build a new and better Normal school to the south.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

--Bad news... I was talking with a friend and they refered to North Texas State Teacher's College..... that name went out in 1934 or about 80 years ago. ... She actually thought it was still the name and wasn't trying to be funny or insulting... sad.. I protested and pointed out she was a bit behind on the times. She had moved to Texas during the 70's.... which made it even worse.

--Bad news... I was talking with a friend and they refered to North Texas State Teacher's College..... that name went out in 1934 or about 80 years ago. ... She actually thought it was still the name and wasn't trying to be funny or insulting... sad.. I protested and pointed out she was a bit behind on the times. She had moved to Texas during the 70's.... which made it even worse.

Actually NTSTC was the name until 1949.

• Upvote 1