The Signing Date Reception

SUMG

The event will be at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites .....1434 Centre Place Drive. The phone number is 940-383-4100. This is the Holiday Inn Express behind Johnny Carino's on I-35 E. Take the Teasley exit.....go North on the Service Road......(heading toward campus). When you get to the road where Johnny Carino's is....turn right. It's about 1/3 mile in the back.

The event will be on Signing Date....February 2nd.

As to the event......registration starts at 6:00, the reception begins at 6:30.

There will be food and a cash bar. (Have no idea what food means---hors doeuvers? meal?)...just telling you what my e-mail says.

And now the other news....this year they are charging for this event.

It's $10 for Mean Green Club Members and guests of Mean Green Club representatives. It's $20 for the General Public.

Don't shoot the messenger....

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If anybody on here who is not in the Mean Green Club....and you want to go to this for $10 price (instead of $20)....just contact any of the Mean Green Club reps on the board. We'll be glad to put you on the guest list. Reps on the board include myself, UNT 90, UNT 90 Grad, FFR, KRAM1, and others. Just PM any of us....tell us your name and that you want to go...(at least we can save you $10)

John, I'm going to delete my original thread on this topic and let yours be the one for replies. No need for two of these things. I am sorry you didn't see my original post as no need to duplicate efforts. Appreciate you keeping everyone posted from the beginning.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Its interesting that Mean Green Club members have to pay at all to what has been a free to everyone event in the past?

This would have been a nice perk to offer for membership?

Rick

I agree. There needs to be more perks for Mean Green Club members. Not because I want more free stuff but there should be more incentive to sign up other than obligation or whatnot.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Its interesting that Mean Green Club members have to pay at all to what has been a free to everyone event in the past?

This would have been a nice perk to offer for membership?

Rick

I'm kinda wondering about this myself. I'm driving 6 hours to attend this thing for the first time. Only at UNT.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

I agree. There needs to be more perks for Mean Green Club members. Not because I want more free stuff but there should be more incentive to sign up other than obligation or whatnot.

Maybe the looming budget cuts have something to do with this. I have no clue, but do know my wife's department at UNT has already been notified to save everywhere it can and look for cuts to come in the near future. Planning ahead is the by word on campus these days. Maybe the athletic department is trying to stretch the dollars it has for these sort of events as far as they can. Don't know, just pondering the possibility.

Maybe the athletic department is trying to stretch the dollars it has for these sort of events as far as they can. Don't know, just pondering the possibility.

If that were the case then the appropriate move would be to have the event on campus in order to avoid the unnecessary expense of renting the place. No, I think the idea here is to raise money from the event. Hopefully we get a good response from a lot of new fans.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Please see address correction. (in the first post). It is being held, as I originally thought....at the Holiday Inn Express behind Johnny Carino's (on I-35 E). Take the Teasley Exit....go north on the service road (heading toward campus). When you get to Carino's....turn right. The Holiday Inn Express is about 1/3 mile to the back.

Actual address: 1434 Centre Place Drive

Phone: 940-383-4100.

GMG!

It's $30 for Frog Club Members at TCU. Looks like most programs charge, some a lot.

I can understand the reasoning behind them charging $30 for their event. Afterall, they have what, 17,000 season ticket holders who at one point, if they are all alumni, could justify blowing $380-$450 per credit hour for a college degree, who has watched the winningest program in the state of Texas the past 4 years and just finished ranked second in the nation with a win in the Rose Bowl. Verses the North Texas season ticket holder, who has to reach down and pull a new or personal reason out of thin air each year to justify continuing their support because they have seen all of 5 wins at home the past 5 years?

Once the winning starts and we are a hot commodity then yeah, charge away. Till that happens though it should remain a free perk to the fans who have faithfully supported with their money through one of the worst and darkest eras in NT history.

Rick

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 12

I can understand the reasoning behind them charging $30 for their event. Afterall, they have what, 17,000 season ticket holders who at one point, if they are all alumni, could justify blowing $380-$450 per credit hour for a college degree, who has watched the winningest program in the state of Texas the past 4 years and just finished ranked second in the nation with a win in the Rose Bowl. Verses the North Texas season ticket holder, who has to reach down and pull a new or personal reason out of thin air each year to justify continuing their support because they have seen all of 5 wins at home the past 5 years?

Once the winning starts and we are a hot commodity then yeah, charge away. Till that happens though it should remain a free perk to the fans who have faithfully supported with their money through one of the worst and darkest eras in NT history.

Rick

Rick

I get ya, I only referenced TCU because it was the easiest information to find. Regardless, I don't think waiting to charge for things is a good strategy. Waiting to charge more is, and I'm sure that's what is going to happen.

I doubt the AD decided to charge on a whim. They most likely figured out people would pay and priced accordingly.

Wow...once again the whining starts. Look, I know, I know, everything the Mean Green does should be free, but UNT needs to pay it's coaches more (to be able to hire better coaches), add sports, build new facilities, play a tougher schedule, recruit all over the nation, increase scholarship levels in non-revenue sports, etc., etc., etc. The state won't pay for all this great stuff. The athletic dept. budget must find a way to cover it all. This may be a small thing, but, unfortunately, it is necessary in today's financial climate. The budget cuts will hit all areas of campus including athletics. While I don't love shelling out the $10 (plus the cost of the beers I will consume at the event), it's not a very high price to pay for a great evening of Mean green entertainment. It would cost as much or more to go to a movie, and the signing event will be so much more fun. The benefit to the Mean Green Club member is the 50% discount off the price of admission. I'm sorry if some don't see this as the decent benefit that I see it, but it's hard to argue that there is no benefit to being a Mean Green Club member in this case.

I get it, some have other places they need to put that $10 or $20 other than paying to attend a signing day event. That's fair. And, some will now not care to attend because of the fee, that's fair as well. I just see it as one more way to help the athletic dept. in its attempts to move this program into the days of being a "champagne program" rather than a "beer program". Although I much prefer beer over champagne when I am consuming adult beverages.

Hope to see a big crowd for the event. Anyone wanting to go that is not a Mean Green Club member, I am happy to have you as my guest so you can pat the member rate of $10. Just PM me and let me know.

See you on the 2nd. GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Wow...once again the whining starts. Look, I know, I know, everything the Mean Green does should be free, but UNT needs to pay it's coaches more (to be able to hire better coaches), add sports, build new facilities, play a tougher schedule, recruit all over the nation, increase scholarship levels in non-revenue sports, etc., etc., etc. The state won't pay for all this great stuff. The athletic dept. budget must find a way to cover it all. This may be a small thing, but, unfortunately, it is necessary in today's financial climate. The budget cuts will hit all areas of campus including athletics. While I don't love shelling out the $10 (plus the cost of the beers I will consume at the event), it's not a very high price to pay for a great evening of Mean green entertainment. It would cost as much or more to go to a movie, and the signing event will be so much more fun. The benefit to the Mean Green Club member is the 50% discount off the price of admission. I'm sorry if some don't see this as the decent benefit that I see it, but it's hard to argue that there is no benefit to being a Mean Green Club member in this case.

I get it, some have other places they need to put that $10 or $20 other than paying to attend a signing day event. That's fair. And, some will now not care to attend because of the fee, that's fair as well. I just see it as one more way to help the athletic dept. in its attempts to move this program into the days of being a "champagne program" rather than a "beer program". Although I much prefer beer over champagne when I am consuming adult beverages.

Hope to see a big crowd for the event. Anyone wanting to go that is not a Mean Green Club member, I am happy to have you as my guest so you can pat the member rate of $10. Just PM me and let me know.

Well said, KRAM. Growing pains.

It looks like we're moving from a "beer" program to a "w(h)ine" program.

• Upvote 7

If we want to be BIG time we got to start acting BIG time. I don't care if we have to start paying for the Spring Game , I'll do it.

Maybe increase the MG Club levels and include events like these ?

Make $500 the min if you want to get into all the future events for free

• Upvote 1

I think people think an event has more importance when you place a dollar value on it. Just like increasing the price of UNT games to $1 would make students feel like they have some sort of investment in the program.