Remaining Scholarships

UNTLifer

By my guestimation, we still have eleven ships to give for this class. How would you like to see those eleven distributed?

I would like to see:

RB: one HS (Donovan Young or Tyler Middleton)

WR: two HS (Kevin Robertson and his clone or Cameron Brown)

TE: one HS (Kayl Barkley)

OL: one more HS (Kyle Stouffer, Dylan Laurens or Jens Danielsen)

DT: good JUCO and one HS (Edwards from Aledo or Davis from Nacogdoches, JUCO's Jewel Christian or Chris Henderson)

DE: good JUCO and one HS (Whitney Richardson or Jude Akpunku, JUCO Brandon Harris)

LB: one HS (Austin Willams, Lance Williams or Trey Brown)

DB: one HS (Carrington from Lincoln)

By my guestimation, we still have eleven ships to give for this class. How would you like to see those eleven distributed?

I would like to see:

DT: good JUCO and one HS (Edwards from Aledo or Davis from Nacogdoches, JUCO's Jewel Christian or Chris Henderson)

DE: good JUCO and one HS (Whitney Richardson or Jude Akpunku, JUCO Brandon Harris)

Probably the only thing I see to change would be to add a 2nd running back instead of a TE....We probably have at least four TE's on the roster. Right now at RB the only scholarship players on the roster I believe are seniors to be Lance Dunbar and James Hamilton (coming off a major foot injury) and sophomore to be Brandin Byrd. A couple of injuries next fall and we might be really thin at RB.

Speaking of CB (on the Carrington note), is Steven Ford still around? He was recruited last year and was supposed to help out immediately but went out for the season at the Clemson game with an injury. Any idea how that recovery is coming along and if he will be able to make an impact this upcoming year? If so, how many years will he have left?

Edited by MeanGreenGlory

I would like to see:

Good looking list although swapping the TE for another OL and two LB's instead of two WR's would be my 2 cents. That would bring this class to 4 OL and signing almost a full line each year should be a goal especially if you go strictly the HS route. Too thin there and you have to start some underclassmen before they are ready. The defensive needs speak for themselves and I wouldn't be surprised, given Coach McCarney's history, we don't see that be a focal point if not this year then next for sure. Especially having a full year to develop or re-establish relationships in recruiting.

Based on McCarney's comments and in turn, his actions thus far in the recruiting process I think you'll see a max of 1 JUCO DTs brought in...he said, and he is focusing on high schoolers.

Open competition at tackle next season between one JC, Cantly, White, Abbe and Anyiam...maybe Boutwell. It may be a raw group, but it has size and at some point you've got to anticipate player development.

Based on McCarney's comments and in turn, his actions thus far in the recruiting process I think you'll see a max of 1 JUCO DTs brought in...he said, and he is focusing on high schoolers.

Open competition at tackle next season between one JC, Cantly, White, Abbe and Anyiam...maybe Boutwell. It may be a raw group, but it has size and at some point you've got to anticipate player development.

Anticipate player development all you want, but this is frightening. I hope these guys step up, but would rather see some JUCO help.

I would like to see two junior college defensive tackles who graduate in May and enroll at North Texas for summer school. By doing this they can hit the weight room and get comfortable with the coaching staff before two-a-day practices start in August.

If that is our only option, then I'm for it, but I would prefer a couple of mid-term grads so that they can join us for Spring ball. At this late date, I don't see that happening.

If that is our only option, then I'm for it, but I would prefer a couple of mid-term grads so that they can join us for Spring ball. At this late date, I don't see that happening.

I spoke briefly to one of the coaches at the banquet and as I suspected we were pretty much DOA in regards to the best mid term JUCO DL guys due to the timing of our hire. Frankly the mid term juco DL prospects are tough to get even with a staff in place and they always have been. I agree with Huff, we were pretty successful in bringing in Kelvin Jackson and Shavod Atkinson a couple of years ago and in my opinion they were as good as any in the Belt. Both graduated in May. I would like us to sign 3 juco defensive linemen that include big run stopping defensive tackles and strong side defensive ends. We need that for next season in my opinion. Eventually I would like to see us move away from JUCO completely unless it is a game changing type of player. There's just too much high school talent up here.

Another item I am interested in is if we are looking at any guys who have committed to other schools. There are some pretty good players out there who committed prior to our staff getting in place.

I am excited about this class but I am also very excited about the future as we will have a great staff in place that will reap significant dividends for us.

There is and always be a place for talented Juco players in D-1 football. Auburn just one a natinoal championship with one, there's multiple on every BCS roster in the country. Talent isn't always elgible right out the gate. I have no problems signing 2-3 Juco players every yr, whether it be insurance policy types, impact players, or a flat out gamble on.

But I am encouraged and suprised by our heavy recruiting of what is seemingly talented HS recruits. I figured to have a much heavier reliance on JuCo's this yr, despite Coach Dan's published intentions to the contrary.

But to the thread's point:

QB - 0

WR - 1

RB - 0

OL - 2

TE - 0

DT - 2

DE - 0

LB - 1

CB - 1

S - 0

If we're at 17 now, should have at least 7 more left. I agree we should be signing at least 3 Offensive lineman per yr.

Edited by FloMoGrad

I would like to see two junior college defensive tackles who graduate in May and enroll at North Texas for summer school. By doing this they can hit the weight room and get comfortable with the coaching staff before two-a-day practices start in August.

Even the (good) May graduates are scarce. There are some quality defensive tackles that may be available and we can hope that we get a couple.

Xavier Bryant - Kilgore 6-1,295

Jewel Christian - Southwest Mississippi 6-2,290

Rod Davis - Fort Scott 6-2,300

Tony Gillespie - Independence 6-2,315

Chris Henderson - Trinity Valley 6-2,295

Aaron Wallace - Independence 6-1,320

How many of these want to play FBS football is anybody's guess. This is a pretty talented group, not exceptionally tall but that's about all they lack. Any two or three of the above would really help.

• Upvote 1

Here's my list with the anticipation that we will sign a full class of 25: (current committments in bold)

QB:

Brent Osborn

Cooper Jones

Andrew McNulty

I don't anticipate us signing any more QB's with McNulty being given a shot by this coaching staff. Unless a top recruit comes available, I think we are set here.

RB:

Zach Whitfield

Done

WR

Marcus Smith

Two more high school players. I would prefer Cameron Brown from Frisco Liberty, Rivals Link, or Greg Thurmond from West Mesquite, Rivals Link

TE

Andrew Power

One high school recruit. My pick would be Justin Breshears from Aledo, Rivals Link.

OL

Emeka Okafor

Grant Shaw

One high school recruit, preferably Stouffer from Highland Park, Rivals Link, or Dylan Laurens from Duncan, OK, Rivals Link.

DT

Micah Thompson

Alex Lincoln

I would prefer a JUCO, but would settle for one more HS signee if they offer the best upside. My HS picks would be Brodrick Lee, Tarpon Springs, FL, Rivals Link, or Danny Edwards from Aledo, Rivals Link. I still hold out hope for Jewel Christian, JUCO, although his coach says he is going to UAB, Rivals Link and my dream would be Chris Henderson from Trinity Valley, Rivals Link

DE

Daryl Mason

Austin Orr

One more HS signee that is hopefully Whitney Richardson, Rivals Link, or Michael Amaefula from Arlington Bowie, Rivals Link, although Scout has him up to 240 lbs.

LB

Derek Akunne

Michael Stojkovic

One more HS commit, preferably Trey Brown, Rivals Link.

DB

Kendrick Ruben; Safety

Jamone Greer; CB

Kerry Swarn; Safety

One more HS commit for cornerback preferably Lloyd Carrington, Rivals Link.

• Upvote 4

Here's my list with the anticipation that we will sign a full class of 25: (current committments in bold)

QB:

Brent Osborn

Cooper Jones

Andrew McNulty

I don't anticipate us signing any more QB's with McNulty being given a shot by this coaching staff. Unless a top recruit comes available, I think we are set here.

RB:

Zach Whitfield

Done

WR

Marcus Smith

Two more high school players. I would prefer Cameron Brown from Frisco Liberty, Rivals Link, or Greg Thurmond from West Mesquite, Rivals Link

TE

Andrew Power

One high school recruit. My pick would be Justin Breshears from Aledo, Rivals Link.

OL

Emeka Okafor

Grant Shaw

One high school recruit, preferably Stouffer from Highland Park, Rivals Link, or Dylan Laurens from Duncan, OK, Rivals Link.

DT

Micah Thompson

Alex Lincoln

I would prefer a JUCO, but would settle for one more HS signee if they offer the best upside. My HS picks would be Brodrick Lee, Tarpon Springs, FL, Rivals Link, or Danny Edwards from Aledo, Rivals Link. I still hold out hope for Jewel Christian, JUCO, although his coach says he is going to UAB, Rivals Link and my dream would be Chris Henderson from Trinity Valley, Rivals Link

DE

Daryl Mason

Austin Orr

One more HS signee that is hopefully Whitney Richardson, Rivals Link, or Michael Amaefula from Arlington Bowie, Rivals Link, although Scout has him up to 240 lbs.

LB

Derek Akunne

Michael Stojkovic

DB

Kendrick Ruben; Safety

Jamone Greer; CB

Kerry Swarn; Safety

Great list Lifer!

QB:

Brent Osborn

Cooper Jones

Andrew McNulty

RB:

Zach Whitfield

Done

WR

Marcus Smith

TE

Andrew Power

OL

Emeka Okafor

Grant Shaw

DT

Micah Thompson

Alex Lincoln

DE

Daryl Mason

Austin Orr

LB

Derek Akunne

Michael Stojkovic

DB

Kendrick Ruben; Safety

Jamone Greer; CB

Kerry Swarn; Safety

Impressively put together and comprehensive. This would be an amazing class for yr 1, imho.

Edited by FloMoGrad

My greatest concern, as I am sure it is everyone else's, is DT. I wouldn't be surprised to see McCarney hold on to a few scholarships for late qualifiers, etc... to help out here. I think Abbe, Cantly and White can become good DT's, I'm just not sure they are ready to go. I really wish we would make a push for Josh Davis out of Nacogdoches, but it doesn't appear that is going to happen.

Impressively put together and comprehensive. This would be an amazing class for yr 1, imho.

Would like to see Chris Henderson as well. As the Rivals site shows OU & A&M I doubt OU takes four DT's and would be a lttle surprised A&M takes two JUCO DT's but it is possible wih only 18 commits at this point. Scout has a Chris Henderson out of Dallas Carter at Coffeyville KS JC 6'4" 300lb DE but no Chris Henderson from Trinity Valley, which is odd. ESPN had Chris Henderson from Dallas Carter as a 2009 commit to A&M but he was listed at 6'1" 245. Will the real Chris Henderson please stand up? (And be a UNT Eagle!)

QB:

Brent Osborn

Cooper Jones

Andrew McNulty

RB:

Zach Whitfield

Done

WR

Marcus Smith

TE

Andrew Power

OL

Emeka Okafor

Grant Shaw

DT

Micah Thompson

Alex Lincoln

DE

Daryl Mason

Austin Orr

LB

Derek Akunne

Michael Stojkovic

DB

Kendrick Ruben; Safety

Jamone Greer; CB

Kerry Swarn; Safety

I really like your list except please no more tight ends (we have six) or defensive ends (eight of those). Save at least a couple for JUCO defensive tackles.

I really like your list except please no more tight ends (we have six) or defensive ends (eight of those). Save at least a couple for JUCO defensive tackles.

Whatever mix of Juco and HS for: interior linemen, both sides but mostly DT, one corner who can handle man coverage, one big play receiver. All capable of starting by some point in their first year.

Edited by eulessismore

Would like to see Chris Henderson as well. As the Rivals site shows OU & A&M I doubt OU takes four DT's and would be a lttle surprised A&M takes two JUCO DT's but it is possible wih only 18 commits at this point. Scout has a Chris Henderson out of Dallas Carter at Coffeyville KS JC 6'4" 300lb DE but no Chris Henderson from Trinity Valley, which is odd. ESPN had Chris Henderson from Dallas Carter as a 2009 commit to A&M but he was listed at 6'1" 245. Will the real Chris Henderson please stand up? (And be a UNT Eagle!)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Chris-Henderson-116817

As far as I know this is the Chris Henderson that was in the 2009 recruiting class from Dallas Carter. He signed with Texas A&M but I don't think that he ever played for them. It could be that he didn't qualify so he went the JC route.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Chris-Henderson-116817

As far as I know this is the Chris Henderson that was in the 2009 recruiting class from Dallas Carter. He signed with Texas A&M but I don't think that he ever played for them. It could be that he didn't qualify so he went the JC route.

http://www.tvcc.edu/athletics/football/pdf/2010%20TVCC%20ROSTER.pdf

Here is the roster for the 2010 Trinity Valley CC team with Chris Henderson of Dallas Carter listed.

The last posting and information that I found for Chris Henderson on Scout was dated in 2008. Apparently they never updated.

Does anyone know anything about this guy?

Terell Brooks, Duncanville DT, Rivals

He was just listed under "similar players" when looking at Chris Henderson. Other than looking great in combines, not much out there. Mostly however, I'd like us to get in the running for Jamichael Payne, out of Auburn, Alabama. I'd hate to see WKU get him and us not.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1