Tsu-Sm Hire

MCMLXXX

UTSA and TSSM will be low end competition but I doubt anyone in NT athletics is that concerned. If NT staff don't have their sights a lot higher, they need to move on. I don't think every member of the Southland needs to move up, but it is looking more and more likely. Ether school may prove to be serious competition at some point, but it is more likely that they are going to go through a long tough growing processbefore they are a significant factor.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

UTSA and TSSM will be low end competition but I doubt anyone in NT athletics is that concerned. If NT staff don't have their sights a lot higher, they need to move on. I don't think every member of the Southland needs to move up, but it is looking more and more likely. Ether school may prove to be serious competition at some point, but it is more likely that they are going to go through a long tough growing processbefore they are a significant factor.

Truer words have not been spoken.

And some of our fans/alums need to equally leave the past behind and set sights higher, too, if they haven't already. If we let TSU (SM) & UTSA intimidate us, then we just wasted $80 million on a new football palace at the Mean Green Village.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Agreed. Furthermore, I would hope that by the time they are a "significant factor" to UNT, that would in turn mean they were also a "significant factor" to UH, Tulsa, La Tech, SMU, Texas Tech, Baylor, et al.

Well...some of us on the board wonder why RV would hire Dan McCarney 56 - 85 as apposed to coach Fran with his record which is much better than 56 - 85. Coach Fran had much to do with establishing TCU as national non BCS power. Ran off at A&M over recruiting news letter. A little over blown from my perspective. Point is Fran will be a force to recon with based on his reputation and relationships with high school head coaches in Texas. TSU deserves credit for it's decision to hire Fran especially if his son comes with him. Fran's son has produced and his resume is strong outside his father reputation. Am I saying UNT should have hired Fran instead of Coach Mac., maybe so. I'm not from Iowa and didn't see what he produced at ISU. Doesn't mean coach Mac. isn't the right coach for UNT. Once football season begins and over time I might become convinced coach Mac. is the man. Based on record and reputation I'd have been more comfortable and excited about coach Fran.. In my opinion I don't believe UNT would be losing so many quality Texas recruits if Fran were our coach. Time will tell, but you have to give TSU the credit it's due. UNT had first shot and for what ever reason RV, UNT, and Fran went different direction. Time will tell, but if coach Fran recruits and coach to his potential TSU will be compared to UNT. Only thing that will win argument for UNT is if coach Mac, his staff, and UNT players produce!!! Time will tell. One things for sure RV is known for giving the AD coaching staff sufficient time to prove there ability form recruiting and coaching standpoint.

Well...some of us on the board wonder why RV would hire Dan McCarney 56 - 85 as apposed to coach Fran with his record which is much better than 56 - 85. Coach Fran had much to do with establishing TCU as national non BCS power. Ran off at A&M over recruiting news letter. A little over blown from my perspective. Point is Fran will be a force to recon with based on his reputation and relationships with high school head coaches in Texas. TSU deserves credit for it's decision to hire Fran especially if his son comes with him. Fran's son has produced and his resume is strong outside his father reputation. Am I saying UNT should have hired Fran instead of Coach Mac., maybe so. I'm not from Iowa and didn't see what he produced at ISU. Doesn't mean coach Mac. isn't the right coach for UNT. Once football season begins and over time I might become convinced coach Mac. is the man. Based on record and reputation I'd have been more comfortable and excited about coach Fran.. In my opinion I don't believe UNT would be losing so many quality Texas recruits if Fran were our coach. Time will tell, but you have to give TSU the credit it's due. UNT had first shot and for what ever reason RV, UNT, and Fran went different direction. Time will tell, but if coach Fran recruits and coach to his potential TSU will be compared to UNT. Only thing that will win argument for UNT is if coach Mac, his staff, and UNT players produce!!! Time will tell. One things for sure RV is known for giving the AD coaching staff sufficient time to prove there ability form recruiting and coaching standpoint.

I liked Fran too. But, in reality, many many schools passed over Fran for someone else. I would like to think they all knew what they were doing.

As Travis stated, many schools looked past Fran, for reasons they and RV only know. I do know from several A&M alums that I know that Fran was not a popular coach in College Station. He left Alabama under questionable circumstances, and did the same at Texas A&M. His son was investigated at Blinn which tells me TSU-SM is taking a chance with this hiring.

Look at what McCarney did at Iowa State, the virtual graveyard of the Big XII and Division 1 football until his arrival, and read some of the comments from ISU fans that have come on our board since his hiring. I would rather have a coach that turned around a program, was respected by his players and loved by the fans, than a coach that has left his last two positions under questionable circumstances, was not cared for by the alumni/fans and his greatest accomplishment, turning around TCU, could be more attributable to the current HC at TCU and his defensive coordinator at the time.