Hunter Lee

Marty

Man he looks like a player to me... I know that this coaching staff is working harder than any we have seen right now so you have to hope that this kid will be on the radar.

I want to reiterate that I am hearing - from a very good source - there is a blitz of prospecting effort going on right now among the members of the staff unlike ever seen at North Texas. Some of the detractors will say this is lip service but I want you to know I have personally never been so damn excited about the leadership and direction of this program.

I am far from a recruiting expert, and know very little about the players or the process.

That said, it concerns me that this kid has nary an offer this late in the game, even from a FCS school. There has to be a reason for that. This kid is playing 5A ball in the metroplex. It's not like he is a hidden gem somewhere.

Grades? Size? Speed? It's gotta be something.

• Upvote 1

3.8 GPA

5'11" 198 lbs.

4.49 40

I'm sure it is, but we're about to run out of good reasons not to offer a kid.

I know, nothing looks bad on the kid.

But zero offers? It's not like this kid is playing in Jaurez, just doesn't make a lot of sense. Could the height/weight be of the Riley variety?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If he doesn't get an offer maybe a preferred walk-on? Or, if we can't get a Cobb-quality player maybe we'll offer. I don't think that this staff will care who else offered if they believe that they have a quality player.

Yeah, it's like a guy who won't ask a girl out because none of the other guys have, yet.

Total speculation of course, but the mention of Welker in that article makes me suspicious that he could be more like 5'8" 175 ala the Riley exagerration. If he were close to 6' 200 with those kind of speed, strength, and production numbers, you would think everyone would be all over him. Personally, I don't care if he is Welker's size coming out of high school. He can obviously run and catch the ball, so bring him on for a look coach!

While trying to see if I could find anything on the all-area recruits I did find the all-area team. There on the first team was Hunter Lee. However, he wasn't listed as a running back or a receiver but as an ATHLETE. Maybe it's not good to be adept at two positions to be selected for a FBS scholarship.

Now, if he could add some pounds, learn to block and not lose his skills or speed, he could become a great U-Back.

• 2 weeks later...

Man...UNT has had a lot of great 5'8"-5'10"-6'0" RB's, QB's and the like that came through. Past that some have been good enough to play in the NFL...some are still playing in the NFL. Cobbs, Eric Pegram (sp), and the all world lineman that plays for KC Chief's. That player who's name escapes me played tight end for UNT. It's amazing I even mention the position TE here as we haven't seen that position utilized in such a long time at UNT. :growl:

Man...UNT has had a lot of great 5'8"-5'10"-6'0" RB's, QB's and the like that came through. Past that some have been good enough to play in the NFL...some are still playing in the NFL. Cobbs, Eric Pegram (sp), and the all world lineman that plays for KC Chief's. That player who's name escapes me played tight end for UNT. It's amazing I even mention the position TE here as we haven't seen that position utilized in such a long time at UNT. :growl:

Brian Waters. Seems he played nearly every position on offense but QB or Center?

Rick

Total speculation of course, but the mention of Welker in that article makes me suspicious that he could be more like 5'8" 175 ala the Riley exagerration. If he were close to 6' 200 with those kind of speed, strength, and production numbers, you would think everyone would be all over him. Personally, I don't care if he is Welker's size coming out of high school. He can obviously run and catch the ball, so bring him on for a look coach!

Ok, I'm pretty sure that Lance Dunbar wasn't a very impressive physical specimen coming out of Haltom High. In fact, on the current roster he's listed as 5'9" X 203. I seem to remember that when he was listed on the ST area top 50 players he was something like 185 or 190. I don't know what his forty time was in HS.

So if Mr. Lee's numbers are correct (5'11" X 198, 4.49). And given the fact that he played for a very competitive HS, in a very competitive district, AND he gained over 1000 yards this year.....then I don't get it.

Ok, I'm pretty sure that Lance Dunbar wasn't a very impressive physical specimen coming out of Haltom High. In fact, on the current roster he's listed as 5'9" X 203. I seem to remember that when he was listed on the ST area top 50 players he was something like 185 or 190. I don't know what his forty time was in HS.

So if Mr. Lee's numbers are correct (5'11" X 198, 4.49). And given the fact that he played for a very competitive HS, in a very competitive district, AND he gained over 1000 yards this year.....then I don't get it.

Could not agree more! I was dumbfounded when I saw the recent article in the DMN. Not only gained 1,000 yards rushing, but receiving as well! In a run focused offense at Marcus now.

Let's hope that the powers at be have already made a few phone calls by now. Would love to see him walk-on closer to home if anything.