New Year's Resolutions

emmitt01

I agree with everything Emmitt said. When conference re-alignment comes along again, basketball as well as football attendance figures will be looked at.

And by the way, MEANGREENSPORTS.COM says the LA LA tip is 4:00. I'd hate for our fans to be late for our second conference win.

It's a double-header. Girls play at 2. With the 30 minute break between games it wont tip by 4. Still, I like your style...nothing wrong with being early to get your seats in case my estimation is off.

I know that every year we collectively toast the new year and proclaim that we will do all kinds of outlandish shizz like "eat better", "exercise more", "be more frugal" or "have more sex" knowing that, for the most part (cuz I'm seriously gonna try for that last one), we have no real intention of chance of meeting these goals. Sooooo I thought here's a chance to make a resolution to do something we can easily do...and help our deal ol' alma mater in the process. Tonight, when you raise that champagne glass, or vodka tonic, or shiner, or glass of milk, resolve to ATTEND MORE UNT MEN'S BASKETBALL GAMES!!!!

You can start Saturday at 4:30pm when UL-Lafayette comes to the Super Pit. The reasons to do so are myriad while the reasons not to are stupid.

Reasons to attend:

North Texas is 12-2

North Texas is making a habit of blowing teams out lately (including LSU)

North Texas is undefeated in league play currently (when's the last time you could say that of the football team and expect it to stay that way?)

Four words: WE ARE NORTH TEXAS...and that "we" includes "you"

Conference realignment talk is really fun...showing that we as a fan base support ALL of our sports lends substance to these discussions instead of making them pipe dreams we refuse to help make reality.

Ben Knox dunked last night...twice! And converted an "and one"

It's a Saturday. The "I work and have to drive in traffic" excuse is null and void.

North Texas isn't playing in any of those New Year's day bowls. None of them. They all have sufficiently large fan bases to cheer them on...let's cheer on OUR team.

The "I'm not a basketball person" excuse literally translates to "I'm not a North Texas person". Again, if you enjoy watching your football in the Sun Belt then by all means send CUSA, MWC, etc the message loud and clear that we don't support our athletic program as a whole. I'm sure that $78 million stadium will be a great home for Sun Belt champions for years and years to come.

Did I mention that this senior class of hoops players is DAMN GOOD. Why wouldn't you go to watch a team with "North Texas" across their chest WIN???

So you will be at the remainder of all of the home women's basketball games because you don't want to be known as "I'm not a North Texas person?"

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

So you will be at the remainder of all of the home women's basketball games because you don't want to be known as "I'm not a North Texas person?"

While your attempt to bastardize my original point is appreciated (and kudos for cleverness winning you the +1's) I think we all know potential conference invites would weigh heavily on football and men's bball attendance, which was my point. Again, cutesee suits you though.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of which (as long as we are drifting further and further away from football in this thread), the women almost made a spectacular come back last night. I know...horeshoes and hand granades, but still.

While your attempt to bastardize my original point is appreciated (and kudos for cleverness winning you the +1's) I think we all know potential conference invites would weigh heavily on football and men's bball attendance, which was my point. Again, cutesee suits you though.

so we only support those teams that can help us get into a new conference??? if your point was nothing more than a popularity contest to get us into another conference instead of a true unt fan, then your post sucked and was pointless! we should all support every damn team north texas fields, whether we like it or not!

and no...i don't attend wbb, swimming/diving, or other random sports, i can't stand them....i don't attend, but i do support in other ways. either attend them all or don't post this crap! there are plenty of seniors on the various womens sports rosters that deserve our attendance as well.

at north texas, we are all fans and supporters. no reason to ONLY support the winners or those than can help us get into a better conference. yes, bball attendance can help, but you're an nt graduate, not a tshirt fan...support them all!!!

Edited by radiogreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

so we only support those teams that can help us get into a new conference??? if your point was nothing more than a popularity contest to get us into another conference instead of a true unt fan, then your post sucked and was pointless! we should all support every damn team north texas fields, whether we like it or not!

and no...i don't attend wbb, swimming/diving, or other random sports, i can't stand them....i don't attend, but i do support in other ways. either attend them all or don't post this crap! there are plenty of seniors on the various womens sports rosters that deserve our attendance as well.

at north texas, we are all fans and supporters. no reason to ONLY support the winners or those than can help us get into a better conference. yes, bball attendance can help, but you're an nt graduate, not a tshirt fan...support them all!!!

You too missed the point...kinda.

The gist of what I was getting at was that the "Im a football person" line of thinking is counter-productive to our overall goal. I agree, we should support all of our athletes, men and women, but the revenue sports AT THE LEAST need attendance to impress those we constantly whine about wanting to impress.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Come on folks, Emmitt was trying to make a point of support for attending Mean Green MBB games. What in the world is wrong with that? To come on here and give him grief because he didn't mention WBB or any other UNT program is just ridiculous. Emmitt was trying to make a positive point about supporting the MBB team today (Jan. 1st) and through the season and on to the NCAA's. Too many people on this board want to find something negative to say about every post, and to try to make something out of nothing...or they just try to be "cute".

I say "thanks", Emmitt for starting the New Year out with a positive resolution concerning UNT athletics. If WBB (or Soccer for that matter) is your "thing", great, attend those games and be happy...and do what you can to increase attendance at those events just as Emmitt is trying to do for men's basketball. But, try to understand what Emmitt is trying to say (and other posters as well) before you jump in and either hijack the post with some "cute" post or bang on the guy for trying to be positive.

BTW, see you at the game today! Happy New Year and GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Great thread Emmitt. Agree with everything that you, KRAM and greenjoe said.

I know several NT fans who are not attending our home basketball game today....because they want to watch TCU in the Rose Bowl. Too bad there hasn't been something invented that would record games on TV....while you're away from home.

• Upvote 3

Great thread Emmitt. Agree with everything that you, KRAM and greenjoe said.

I know several NT fans who are not attending our home basketball game today....because they want to watch TCU in the Rose Bowl. Too bad there hasn't been something invented that would record games on TV....while you're away from home.

I feel guilty because I am going to the Rose Bowl and won't be listening to our game. :( I have wanted to make a RB game since I moved here (really ever since I can remember), and my girlfriend and I got some tickets under face value - so it was too hard for me to pass up. We're actually getting ready to go. I'll be wearing an NT shirt and cap, so look for me among the 90K folks there!

Depending on TastyGreek to text me to our final score (consider this as your reminder John). Happy New Year everyone.