Mwc Expanding To 12

shaft

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/50808891-77/conference-hawaii-football-west.html.csp

The same guy who had the scoop on BYU going independent says the MWC is looking at Utah State and UTEP to get to 12.

So if that that happens what does UNT need to do to beat out LA Tech for the 12th spot in CUSA.

Turn Neinas loose on every bit of this conference re-alignment business. He can plead our case as a non-UNT'er than a paid UNT'er would be able to most likely.

The timing of this for our ultimate good could not be worse IMHO. Dammit, just give us a chance to get into that new stadium, show off our strategically located olympic village'esque Mean Green Village and then bring UNT in as the one that makes the most common sense (along with the 6'th largest TV market and the one school whose alums have the most DFW area television sets in that market to boot).

:huh: Will we ever be at the right place at the right time in any of this conference re-alignment? :angry:

And CUSA?.......Beggin' some La Tech Dawg's pardons, but if we are not the better entry for CUSA this time around, then we'd all know for certain that the politics with this would be dirtier than we would ever want to admit (and from which outpost from whence they would come, too).

gmg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/50808891-77/conference-hawaii-football-west.html.csp

The same guy who had the scoop on BYU going independent says the MWC is looking at Utah State and UTEP to get to 12.

So if that that happens what does UNT need to do to beat out LA Tech for the 12th spot in CUSA.

actually what the article says is that the MWC will meet sometime after the year to decide if they want to go to 12 or stay at 10. Going to 12 is not a done deal.

actually what the article says is that the MWC will meet sometime after the year to decide if they want to go to 12 or stay at 10. Going to 12 is not a done deal.

unt"George": We have some in D.C. who vote on bills that they've not even read half of it, but that is no excuse for us on GMG.com to do the same. You are right--I didn't read it as thoroughly as I should have but...

...Utah State? They've not won any more than we have of late last I checked but...

....I'd love for our Consultant and Hired Hand Chuck Neinas to sit down with MWC Commish' Craig Thompson and do the old Ben Franklin close, ie, line down the middle a piece of paper with UNT on one side of the column and Utah State the other and just start showing the MWC Commish' how such dramatically more positive benefits North Texas would bring to the MWC table than the USU Aggies.

I know these things just don't happen this way for whatever lame reason, but maybe they just should for a change? The Mean Green will be back on the annual "regular winners" column before Utah State ever will and I think most of us would agree with that (and with no degree of bias, of course). :rolleyes:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

unt"George": We have some in D.C. who vote on bills that they've not even read half of it, but that is no excuse for us on GMG.com to do the same. You are right--I didn't read it as thoroughly as I should have but...

...Utah State? They've not won any more than we have of late last I checked but...

....I'd love for our Consultant and Hired Hand Chuck Neinas to sit down with MWC Commish' Craig Thompson and do the old Ben Franklin close, ie, line down the middle a piece of paper with UNT on one side of the column and Utah State the other and just start showing the MWC Commish' how such dramatically more positive benefits North Texas would bring to the MWC table than the USU Aggies.

I know these things just don't happen this way for whatever lame reason, but maybe they just should for a change? The Mean Green will be back on the annual "regular winners" column before Utah State ever will and I think most of us would agree with that (and with no degree of bias, of course). :rolleyes:

GMG!

If Neinas puts in as much effort in getting us into a new conference as he did with his "State of UNT Athletics" report, then I'd say we are in pretty horrible shape. :blink:

Edited by cdizzle86
  • Upvote 5

If Neinas puts in as much effort in getting us into a new conference as he did with his "State of UNT Athletics" report, then I'd say we are in pretty horrible shape. :blink:

For public consumption, I'm not sure that Neinas really ever gave us the meat of that report but merely a few appetizers. I do think Prez' Rawlins has the full meal deal concerning that report, though.

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree. The main subject of this article is about the MWC about to issue a football-only invite to Hawaii soon. Including that move, plus gaining Boise, Nevada, and Fresno, while losing TCU, Utah, and BYU....the MWC will morph into...the old WAC...10 teams...

San Diego State

Air Force

Colorado State

UNLV

Wyoming

New Mexico

Boise

Nevada

Fresno

Hawaii

Adding Utah State and UTEP makes geographic sense if the MWC wants a championship game. It will also kill the WAC for the 4th time this year.

CUSA losing UTEP will be interesting. Do they simply shift Memphis West, feel sorry for La Tech, see UNT's efforts? Will they lose UCF to the Big East with TCU? Houston going anywhere?

I am not sure that UTEP will leave Conference USA to go to The Mountain West. Their leaders have said how happy they are playing against other schools from Texas and how many alums they have in Houston and Dallas-Ft. Worth. It will be an interesting decision for them if they do get an invitation.

• Upvote 2

The Big East is waiting on Villanova.

The Mountain West is waiting a year to see if they need to go to 12, and it makes sense to take USU and UTEP.

The question becomes what does CUSA do?

Take either UNT or LA Tech to fill the hole or shift a team from the East and take a school like Troy.

I'd still like to see a 12 team SBC by adding LA Tech and UTSA. If CUSA raids the SBC, the conference could fill the hole with NMSU or Texas State.

Edited by shaft

so let me get this straight....we don't won't WAC because we can't travel well to West Coast Games (among other reasons of course).....but we want MWC? CUSA or bust! I'm banking on a Houston to the Big East scenario and replacing them in CUSA.

From our perspective, CUSA is preferable to MWC, but MWC is preferable to SBC. Or, to use the entire spectrum,

Big XII > Other AQ > CUSA > MWC > SBC > WAC > Indy > MAC > FCS. WAC, MAC, and Indy might be interchangeable.

• Upvote 3

so let me get this straight....we don't won't WAC because we can't travel well to West Coast Games (among other reasons of course).....but we want MWC? CUSA or bust! I'm banking on a Houston to the Big East scenario and replacing them in CUSA.

The MWC has Air Force, Colorado State, UNLV and SanDiegoSt; the WAC has Idaho La Tech and two Texas programs that have no history. Surely you can see a difference.

That having been said, CUSA would be more attractive to UNT.

Find a way to get SMU removed from that conference.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Find a way to get SMU removed from that conference.

:thumbsu: Yet over their dead Peruna carcus would that happen! (But I like your moxy, anyway)! :clapping:

SMU will one day change their mind about UNT when they (1) have new leadership (starting with a different President than their present) and (2) start seeing us as a turnstile cash cow , but until then, we are a large, looming over the North Texas Metroplex force and threat to whatever they think their own future in NCAA D1 actually is.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

:thumbsu: Yet over their dead Peruna carcus would that happen! (But I like your moxy, anyway)! :clapping:

SMU will one day change their mind about UNT when they (1) have new leadership (starting with a different President than their present) and (2) start seeing us as a turnstile cash cow , but until then, we are a large, looming over the North Texas Metroplex force and threat to whatever they think their own future in NCAA D1 actually is.

GMG!

SMU?....well TCU thinks they stink and so do I....really SMU is a nobody private school and no one except SMU students and alumni care...and not that much. SMU has nothing and has meant nothing since they quit paying players back when Craig James, the man child, played football there. Why UNT even post about these children is just plain funny....says alot more about the inferiority complex of the poster when it comes to UNT vs SMU issues.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The MWC has Air Force, Colorado State, UNLV and SanDiegoSt; the WAC has Idaho La Tech and two Texas programs that have no history. Surely you can see a difference.

That having been said, CUSA would be more attractive to UNT.

of course I can see the difference but at the same time it would be tough travel destinations....on the other hand it would be great to have the visibility that comes with being in the MWC.

so let me get this straight....we don't won't WAC because we can't travel well to West Coast Games (among other reasons of course).....but we want MWC?

The Mountain West Conference is a stronger conference than the Sun Belt, so it's more attractive. The WAC may be weaker than the Belt once the departures are done.

From our perspective, CUSA is preferable to MWC, but MWC is preferable to SBC. Or, to use the entire spectrum,

Big XII > Other AQ > CUSA > MWC > SBC > WAC > Indy > MAC > FCS. WAC, MAC, and Indy might be interchangeable.

That's pretty much how I'd rank things, though if you're ambitious enough to include the Big 12, I'd put the SEC as the conference atop that spectrum.

The Mountain West Conference is a stronger conference than the Sun Belt, so it's more attractive. The WAC may be weaker than the Belt once the departures are done.

With Hawaii leaving, I think the WAC is definitely weaker than the Belt. Be honest, who would you be excited to play in that conference now? Maybe NMSU, given our history with them, but I don't much care about playing any of the others.