Any One Else Think This Is Ridiculous?

NMBNTC

I was wondering if Rick V. personally calls everyone who bashes him on this board? I am asking because I am a personal friend of the cheer leading captain, Ashley. Ashley received a personal call from RV about her Facebook comment "the athletic department seems to be making a lot bad decisions lately". This was referring to several different thing, not necessarily the Canales situation. Anyway, from what I understand RV was professorial and explained the hire which is totally OK with me; almost refreshing to see that he cares and stands by his decision.

The part that I am disgusted with that He called her on a Sunday night, and much worse that he got her number by having his son track it down through shared acquaintances. Aren't there bigger fish to fry than a cheerleaders facebook page? Just curious about your opinions.

• Upvote 1

Do we know for sure that he called her? I would think for him to call, she probably had something more serious than just "The athletic department seems to be making alot of bad decisions." I doubt very seriously that is how he obtained the number. Chances are, she had something worse on there and RV contacted the cheerleading sponser to tell her about it and get Ashley's number. Plus, since she is the CAPTAIN and the leader of the cheerleaders it is more an issue than some others.

Hell, at least they finally care about the football team. Now if we can just get them to work on their cheers, that'd be grrreaaaaat.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

It is called brand management. My previous hotel responded to every comment on Travelocity, Hotels.com, Yelp, Expedia...good or bad you get a response. We would have made personal calls had we had telephone numbers because you need to cut off any negatives at the head. Love that RV reached out to protect the brand but shouldn't there be an athletic department employee making such contact? Even the negative comments we responded to by saying, "thank you for your thoughts and we apologize we did not meet your expectations..."

All feedback positive and negative should be recognized - communicate, communicate, communicate.

gmg

Do we know for sure that he called her? I would think for him to call, she probably had something more serious than just "The athletic department seems to be making alot of bad decisions." I doubt very seriously that is how he obtained the number. Chances are, she had something worse on there and RV contacted the cheerleading sponser to tell her about it and get Ashley's number. Plus, since she is the CAPTAIN and the leader of the cheerleaders it is more an issue than some others.

Hell, at least they finally care about the football team. Now if we can just get them to work on their cheers, that'd be grrreaaaaat.

Ya I'm just going to put it out there that I am also on the team. I Didn't want to say anything to avoid the stigma that comes along with admitting to be a male cheerleader. Any way I have confirmed there was a call made to her before anyone else in the chain of command, and thats all that was said on Facebook (we had our own mini version of the fired/interim/new coach thing).

As for the cheers/chants, we had a list of 15 or so until we were told at the first football game not to use the letter "U" or anything with "University" or "eagles". So there goes all but about four. And this is where the rant starts: Saturday was my 28th and final home Fball game to cheer at and it was easily the worst for participation on the Alumni side. Thank God for the Eagle Angels and random wives/moms in the crowd. With out them I would rather yell at a brick wall. It is pathetic trying to start any kind of chant on that side. We have arguments about who has to go to cheer on the alumni side. I love cheering at basketball games not because the team wins, but because I only have to attempt to get the alums off their buts for 30 seconds every other timeout. If it wasn't for the T-shirt toss I would think you were dead. Are you jealous of the KState fan's K-S-U CATS chants. That is what a real fan base sounds like.

As for those of you who do participate, I know who you are (mainly because there are so few) and I am truly grateful for your support. Thank you. GMG.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

No, thank you for your service. I went to both the basketball and football game last week and had a blast. Spirit is definitely up and you all have really raised the bar.

Stay loyal to the Green. Come back often after you graduate. It only gets better.

Go North Texas Go North Texas Go Go!

Are you jealous of the KState fan's K-S-U CATS chants. That is what a real fan base sounds like.

Yes because they have an easily recognizable chant like that and we don't. Whoever creates one for North Texas (and gets it to stick) will have my un-dieing love.

I'd go into why the alumni side is more difficult to motivate for cheers but it might makes some heads explode. Leading cheers for bball games is a breeze anymore now that the Pit Crew is a much stronger group than what it was in its infancy 5 or 6 years ago.

Edited by UNTFan23

Ya I'm just going to put it out there that I am also on the team. I Didn't want to say anything to avoid the stigma that comes along with admitting to be a male cheerleader. Any way I have confirmed there was a call made to her before anyone else in the chain of command, and thats all that was said on Facebook (we had our own mini version of the fired/interim/new coach thing).

As for the cheers/chants, we had a list of 15 or so until we were told at the first football game not to use the letter "U" or anything with "University" or "eagles". So there goes all but about four. And this is where the rant starts: Saturday was my 28th and final home Fball game to cheer at and it was easily the worst for participation on the Alumni side. Thank God for the Eagle Angels and random wives/moms in the crowd. With out them I would rather yell at a brick wall. It is pathetic trying to start any kind of chant on that side. We have arguments about who has to go to cheer on the alumni side. I love cheering at basketball games not because the team wins, but because I only have to attempt to get the alums off their buts for 30 seconds every other timeout. If it wasn't for the T-shirt toss I would think you were dead. Are you jealous of the KState fan's K-S-U CATS chants. That is what a real fan base sounds like.

As for those of you who do participate, I know who you are (mainly because there are so few) and I am truly grateful for your support. Thank you. GMG.

First, who cares whether there are male cheerleaders? I don't think there is a stigma anymore. I actually think it's important to have them so they can, at the very least, hold up the female cheerleaders. Now, male flagcorp members, that's a different story.

Second, when I mentioned the cheers, I did not imply that you did a bad job. My complaint is that we need some unified chants. I have heard that the current cheerleaders refuse to work with Talons on cheers. I actually went up to you guys before one of the home games to try and go over some new unified cheer ideas, but was pretty much brushed aside like I dont matter. Maybe you can see a connection between brushing off suggestions from alums, and the alums not participating in cheers.

Third, Of course it's going to be hard to get the alumni side to cheer. There are several generations over there that have known only sitting in their seats. That will take time to change, so be patient. If you haven't noticed, it is increasingly active over there. As the students graduated, they will move over to the alumni side and with time, it will become as active as the student side.

Forth, yes, the Angels cheer. However, there are several groups that sit behind them and on either sections to the side that cheer. It would help you out greatly to get with some of us and plan out cheers. That would make your job easier and help unify the cheers.

I will give you credit, though. I am glad that this generation of cheerleaders cares. There have been previous generations, which will remain nameless, that didn't give a rat's arse about cheering at games, only competing. They couldn't even get the hand sign right.

If you wish to talk about getting more alumni involvement and some unified cheers, find me at the basketball game Tuesday.

*Edit* RV probably called her because she, as a cheerleader, is a representative of the university. Just like I expect RV, or Coach to contact the players that ere posting on their page. I think RV knows that this is an unpopular hire, and understands that. Which is why he pulled Emmitt aside after the game to explain that this hire was not fully up to him.

Edited by Rudy

People are people. My experience with the cheerleaders over the years is that they have absolutely no sense of timing in games, keep repeating the same unoriginal chants without ever trying to create something like the KSU chant you lament, and milk cheers until they're dead.

I appreciate the cheerleaders showing up to games, but your lack of spirit is exactly why you have such a tough time getting anyone else to care.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

why no 'University' cheers?

Also, that KSU thing is such a KU ripoff. Don't be jealous of that crap.

The good news is that those students who cheer will be alumni soon and actually cheer and stand up on third downs.

BTW, coming up with good cheers isn't exclusively the domain of the cheer squad you know? Doesn't even need to be the Pit Crew or the Talons.

In fact, let's do it now. Lemme start a new thread ....

The part that I am disgusted with that He called her on a Sunday night, and much worse that he got her number by having his son track it down through shared acquaintances. Aren't there bigger fish to fry than a cheerleaders facebook page? Just curious about your opinions.

Why would you be mad that the AD called the cheerleading captain to address a complaint that she made in a public place about the department? It shows that he took the complaint seriously and wanted to address it.

Why would you be mad that the AD called the cheerleading captain to address a complaint that she made in a public place about the department? It shows that he took the complaint seriously and wanted to address it.

It all goes back to the inferiority complex around this football program. It seems even RV is inflicted. You dont address random facebook comments by making a creepy telephone call to a freaking cheerleader (no offense) who is not a monetary contributor to the program.

You should know that you can't make everyone happy with your coaching search, and address any backlash through the DRC and NT Daily. Telephone calls to high level donors (if we have any) to explain the hire and try to get them on board is not only acceptable, but should be a requirement.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

My one complaint about our cheerleaders is the timing of some of the cheers. Why start a cheer when our team is driving on offense? Its is preferable to be quiet while we are trying to call the play. We should be the loudest when we are on defense.

Now I sympathize with you regarding cheering on the alumni side. I was there Saturday and barely sat down during the game, and was actually surprised that not one person behind me asked me to sit down. As many have stated, this side will come around. I thank you for you years of service to North Texas.

Maybe, he contacted her about coaching the WBB team.

• Upvote 1

I was wondering if Rick V. personally calls everyone who bashes him on this board? I am asking because I am a personal friend of the cheer leading captain, Ashley. Ashley received a personal call from RV about her Facebook comment "the athletic department seems to be making a lot bad decisions lately". This was referring to several different thing, not necessarily the Canales situation. Anyway, from what I understand RV was professorial and explained the hire which is totally OK with me; almost refreshing to see that he cares and stands by his decision.

No. By accepting this position you should support the University and not bash them publicly. What would happen if one of the presidential aids did this?

• Upvote 5

My one complaint about our cheerleaders is the timing of some of the cheers. Why start a cheer when our team is driving on offense? Its is preferable to be quiet while we are trying to call the play. We should be the loudest when we are on defense.

Now I sympathize with you regarding cheering on the alumni side. I was there Saturday and barely sat down during the game, and was actually surprised that not one person behind me asked me to sit down. As many have stated, this side will come around. I thank you for you years of service to North Texas.

Agree. Also the cheers themselves. "first and ten, do it again, go, go" (or something like that) is a little high schoolish.

• Upvote 4

It all goes back to the inferiority complex around this football program. It seems even RV is inflicted. You dont address random facebook comments by making a creepy telephone call to a freaking cheerleader (no offense) who is not a monetary contributor to the program.

You should know that you can't make everyone happy with your coaching search, and address any backlash through the DRC and NT Daily. Telephone calls to high level donors (if we have any) to explain the hire and try to get them on board is not only acceptable, but should be a requirement.

Evidently the cheerleader's (Ashley whoever) said a little more than was disclosed in the original post (which is totally fine not wanting to throw him/her under the bus). I believe these kids are getting their school funded through scholarships, and I know the Athletic Department picks up the tab on their gear and travel expenses, etc; so the point is how can you fault RV for calling this kid on the carpet for what they said about him and/or his athletic program?

And FWIW Rick and his staff are always reaching out to donors and potential donors. And yes there are some who have given tons of money to the Athletic Department, and would be considered high level donors anywhere in the country.

• Upvote 1

I believe these kids are getting their school funded through scholarships, and I know the Athletic Department picks up the tab on their gear and travel expenses, etc; so the point is how can you fault RV for calling this kid on the carpet for what they said about him and/or his athletic program?

No we don't get any kind of scholarships. And our gear has to be returned at the end of each basketball season. Ever notice that we have had the same uniforms for 4 years?

I'm just now reading this thread, should have read it before the other cheer/chant thread.

As I have shared the story from one of the bowl games, in '04 I think it was? Several of us got together with the cheerleaders prior to the game and decided on the unified chant. "Go, Mean, Green, Eagles, Fight!, Fight!, Fight!". We then had another alumn have each word printed on large individual sign boards, and then had an explanation sheet printed off, around 5,000 of them to explain to people attending the bowlgame how to follow the cheerleaders to do the unified chant. I personally delivered the sign boards to the cheerleaders at their hotel when I rolled into New Orleans. Then the instruction sheets were handed out at the doors of the Super Dome prior to the game. When they were ready, several of us were going to do a unified yell. Aaaaagggghhh!, to draw attention to the field down in front of us, then have the cheerleaders, one by one, quickly hold up each word. It would have only taken two or three times for the entire crowd to catch on. Simple, easy and quick and over with. Many of you remember me doing this in my section at Fouts several years ago. It only took me three times before I had the majority of all the surrounding sections around doing it and it was cool. After each time the cheerleaders down front would have this look on their faces like, "How'ed he do that". Eventually one of them approached me about it and we did what we did in New Orleans.

But, once the N.O. Bowl game got under way the cheerleaders decided they didn't want to do it and ignored us the entire game. I let the director know about it but by the time she got down to the field to find out what the deal was the game was out of hand and our crowd started heading for the doors.

I had talked to Dr. Battaile about this when during our NCAA game in New Orleans she noticed how great the Memphis Tiger unified chant was and why was it that we didn't have anything remotely as cool? Thus she got me in the door to talk with the Spirit Committee, which told memsome lame ass excuse that they had already addressed this issue by having the band do an intro tune to a chant, to which I have never heard, at least I don't think I have?

Anyhow, just another kick to the nuts for me. We continue to look and sound pathetic with the North Texas chant that starts slow and never seems to have an end and everybody doing it on their own, never unified. While schools like KState shout us down in our own stadium. The university of Houston has one and they will be here next year to open the new stadium. So I'm preparing to be shouted down again as we begin what should be our finest chapter to date in our history, only to prove once again how split minded we are becausee we can't pull our heads out of our asses over something so damn easy as having a unified chant with our official call "Go Mean Green" in it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

I believe these kids are getting their school funded through scholarships, and I know the Athletic Department picks up the tab on their gear and travel expenses, etc; so the point is how can you fault RV for calling this kid on the carpet for what they said about him and/or his athletic program?

No we don't get any kind of scholarships. And our gear has to be returned at the end of each basketball season. Ever notice that we have had the same uniforms for 4 years?

I think you guys are doing a great job my only comment would be to say that if we are down to 4 cheers - THAT IS A GOOD THING. If we only had one cheer and everyone did it at the same time I'd say that is a lot better than having 15 cheers that nobody in the stands does. I think the North/Texas chant is great my only suggestion is that you get everyone READY for it before you start it. And that means you need two guys on either side preparing BOTH sides to be ready to do it. Lastly have a way to do it!! We need something like 4 north/texas back and forth and then a final "FIGHT" or something like that. Just have a real begin and end. I think everyone here is thinking the same thing.

Don't let FFRick's angst and other's frustration let you get the wrong idea. We are all on the same page here but we just need to look at the *throwing up in my mouth* aggies and others as a model to at least try to emulate with unified cheers.

Edited by Stan R

This isn't unusual. He called me two years ago after ferreting my cell phone number off a guy who had pm'ed me for it under false pretenses. He gave me sort of a lecture about Todd Dodge; but, I mean, Lord...I told him that as a former coach, he surely should have known better than to (1) hire him in the first place, and (2) then, let him bring on so many inexperienced assistants.

The thing is, you have to be careful about who you communicate with on this board. Rick does have his moles. At one point after Darrell DIckey waas fired, one of them followed my posts obsessively and accused me of being linebacker coach Kenny Evans.

Say what you will, Rick Villareal can't be accused of not keeping it real with the peeps. But, truth be told, he really doesn't need to employ moles. I'm sure any of us would be happy to talk to him without the whole Spy Vs Spy set up.

For the record, RV Moles, I'm 164% on board with the McCarney hire. You can tell him. He's also still welcome to come by for lunch when he's in Dallas. Just give me a half hour to an hour heads up.