Question To The Green Brigade People

the green rokemi

I know everyone is depressed over yet another loss, so the best way to redirect frustrations is to give a little hate to the Green Brigade...

My son spent four years in the GB - those members work their tails off, have loyal team spirit (even after loss, after loss), standing there in the heat, cold, rain (7 overtimes) even when there is only about 50 alum fans on the other side - and all they hardly ever get from this forum is critism.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My son spent four years in the GB - those members work their tails off, have loyal team spirit (even after loss, after loss), standing there in the heat, cold, rain (7 overtimes) even when there is only about 50 alum fans on the other side - and all they hardly ever get from this forum is critism.

Note that some of the folks complaining here are also former GB members. What did your son think of last night's performance (assuming he was there)?

Note that some of the folks complaining here are also former GB members. What did your son think of last night's performance (assuming he was there)?

He always routs for the mean green - he's a die hard fan of his school's football team and all that north texas does.

Count me in the unintelligent group that doesn't "get" our marching band. Are their pre-game and halftime shows usually light years ahead of just about every other marching band in the nation? Yep. But their in-game direction is second class. At best. It's gotten better over the years. Just knowing when to play (crucial 3rd and 4th downs, after timeouts, etc)...but it's not consistent and they're still likely to play some random mood killing ballad mid-way through the 4th quarter in a tight game.

I think one of the reasons the Troy band seemed to outplay the Green Brigade is that they just played more often. When there is a break in the action, or long stretches of quiet, our band should be playing---whether it be a drum line, anything...just play more often. Last night, the Troy band did that...that, and like many others have pointed out, played freaking loud enough to make you notice them.

• Upvote 2

From what I was told by one of the drum majors, Troy's band was miked and amplified, and the played easy song. As for the cheerleaders, they were welling LOCK THE GATE not block the kick.

One of your drum majors was highly misinformed. The only thing that was amplified was the bass guitar. The Sound of the South never has and never will be miked.

Plus, that was just the pep band at the game last night.

To question the musicality of the Sound playing recognizable, pep tunes is an unfair assessment of the band as a whole.

Thanks, everyone else, for the compliments on our band.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I was not at the game nor have I seen the GB in a long time. I do know that the acoustics at Fouts will often dictate which bands sound louder, but louder is not always better.

The GB director makes less than an experienced high school director. From all indications, he is a good man and well liked by his students, but I sure would like to see the band go in a different direction rather than be like almost all the other college bands.

I know everyone is depressed over yet another loss, so the best way to redirect frustrations is to give a little hate to the Green Brigade...

Seriously? So some critism is now hate? There are several legitimate statements, that does not mean we're hating on the Green Brigade. Im sorry, I didn't realize we had to earn the right to issue some contructive critism.

And noone is saying that they don't work hard, or have great school spirit.

One of your drum majors was highly misinformed. The only thing that was amplified was the bass guitar. The Sound of the South never has and never will be miked.

Plus, that was just the pep band at the game last night.

To question the musicality of the Sound playing recognizable, pep tunes is an unfair assessment of the band as a whole.

Thanks, everyone else, for the compliments on our band.

Thanks for coming onto the board. Maybe your people can adress playing over another schools Alma Mater and Fight songs. Please.

I was not at the game nor have I seen the GB in a long time. I do know that the acoustics at Fouts will often dictate which bands sound louder, but louder is not always better.

The GB director makes less than an experienced high school director. From all indications, he is a good man and well liked by his students, but I sure would like to see the band go in a different direction rather than be like almost all the other college bands.

But is he turning the band members into good young men and women? :lol:

You know I have no doubt that NT has much better musicians than Troy, if they didn't they should just kill the program. NT has one of the best and biggest music schools around compared to a very small school with an unrenowned music program if they have one at all. Also I think everyone is aware that band members work hard but I guarantee you it is a small fraction of what the football players put in; and most don't have any hesitation criticizing them. The truth is that plus 90% of the people who were at the game last night would have noticed that the Troy travel band with maybe a fourth of the players was a much better "football spirit band" than NT. They were louder, more enthusiastic, and played a more varied selection. I do appreciate the dedication and skill of the NT band, but the sad fact is they were totally upstaged. I and most in attendance don't care who was amplified and who was not, which band would have won at a music competition, or was illegally using music. And while we are discussing the band,am I the only that notices they do basically the same half time show every time. Yes the music may change, and sometimes it is great, but they march out get into formation play one or two selections then bring out the dancers and do one number than off the field. If I wanted to nitpick more I would point out that they are usually out of step and sloppy marching and getting into their formations.

I have always wondered why NT doesn't showcase their music ability by doing the things that help the band perform. Show some originality, learn more than a handful of scores, get loud, get some decent warm weather uniforms. NT probably produces more high school music directors than any school in the state, and I would think that number would dwarf the number of concert musicians it produces. Yes, I am confident that NT does a great job training music educators but it seems to miss a good opportunity to more finely hone showmanship with an overall lackluster marching band.

With all the criticism of this post, it is not the individual band member that is the issue, it is the focus of the marching band. Being technically and musically the best is great, but why can't that be accomplished at the same time as being the most entertaining. It seems to me that would be more fun for everybody especially the band members.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

You know I have no doubt that NT has much better musicians than Troy, if they didn't they should just kill the program. NT has one of the best and biggest music schools around compared to a very small school with an unrenowned music program if they have one at all. Also I think everyone is aware that band members work hard but I guarantee you it is a small fraction of what the football players put in; and most don't have any hesitation criticizing them. The truth is that plus 90% of the people who were at the game last night would have noticed that the Troy travel band with maybe a fourth of the players was a much better "football spirit band" than NT. They were louder, more enthusiastic, and played a more varied selection. I do appreciate the dedication and skill of the NT band, but the sad fact is they were totally upstaged. I and most in attendance don't care who was amplified and who was not, which band would have won at a music competition, or was illegally using music. And while we are discussing the band,am I the only that notices they do basically the same half time show every time. Yes the music may change, and sometimes it is great, but they march out get into formation play one or two selections then bring out the dancers and do one number than off the field. If I wanted to nitpick more I would point out that they are usually out of step and sloppy marching and getting into their formations.

I have always wondered why NT doesn't showcase their music ability by doing the things that help the band perform. Show some originality, learn more than a handful of scores, get loud, get some decent warm weather uniforms. NT probably produces more high school music directors than any school in the state, and I would think that number would dwarf the number of concert musicians it produces. Yes, I am confident that NT does a great job training music educators but it seems to miss a good opportunity to more finely hone showmanship with an overall lackluster marching band.

With all the criticism of this post, it is not the individual band member that is the issue, it is the focus of the marching band. Being technically and musically the best is great, but why can't that be accomplished at the same time as being the most entertaining. It seems to me that would be more fun for everybody especially the band members.

I am not being critical or handing out kudo's just asking a legit question because I don't know the answer. Why does the Green Brigade fall under the direction of the music school? I know we have a recognizable music dept but I highly doubt any of the students getting a degree in music are interested in being in the football marching band. I have no doubt that our band members are more musically skilled than most other bands members but that doesn't equate to being a better FOOTBALL band. I like some of the more complex pieces the GB plays, however, I don't like them being played at a FOOTBALL game. I want a song that makes me want to clap my hands, stomp my feet, and get up and cheer. Would the GB be a better FOOTBALL band if it were made up of a bunch of students that like to get rowdy, play loud, and support their college FOOTBALL team and not necessarily under the direction of the music dept?

• Downvote 1

I am not being critical or handing out kudo's just asking a legit question because I don't know the answer. Why does the Green Brigade fall under the direction of the music school? I know we have a recognizable music dept but I highly doubt any of the students getting a degree in music are interested in being in the football marching band. I have no doubt that our band members are more musically skilled than most other bands members but that doesn't equate to being a better FOOTBALL band. I like some of the more complex pieces the GB plays, however, I don't like them being played at a FOOTBALL game. I want a song that makes me want to clap my hands, stomp my feet, and get up and cheer. Would the GB be a better FOOTBALL band if it were made up of a bunch of students that like to get rowdy, play loud, and support their college FOOTBALL team and not necessarily under the direction of the music dept?

If you study music education, focusing on brass/wind, it is a COM requisite to take X semesters of marching band. This number varies from school to school. Usually 2 - 3 seasons worth.

Considering the hours of rehearsal every week, giving up all game day Saturdays, and the 12 hour days during the Texas summer band practice, and the ONE semester credit granted...how successful do you think the band would be if that requisite was dropped and band fell under the umbrella of a volunteer-based athletic organization?

If you study music education, focusing on brass/wind, it is a COM requisite to take X semesters of marching band. This number varies from school to school. Usually 2 - 3 seasons worth.

Considering the hours of rehearsal every week, giving up all game day Saturdays, and the 12 hour days during the Texas summer band practice, and the ONE semester credit granted...how successful do you think the band would be if that requisite was dropped and band fell under the umbrella of a volunteer-based athletic organization?

I don't know, how are football bands organized at other schools? I would guess that a small % of universities even have a music dept.

I've been to many high school football games that the band members were playing for fun and school spirit, not as a requisite, and they played good FOOTBALL songs. They don't have to be that complex where it takes hour upon hour of practice. The intricate pieces shouldn't be part of a FOOTBALL bands ensemble.

I don't know, how are football bands organized at other schools? I would guess that a small % of universities even have a music dept.

I've been to many high school football games that the band members were playing for fun and school spirit, not as a requisite, and they played good FOOTBALL songs. They don't have to be that complex where it takes hour upon hour of practice. The intricate pieces shouldn't be part of a FOOTBALL bands ensemble.

Most schools operate this way. I can't think of any major colleges, at least in Texas, that do not have a COM. I know music majors and teachers from many schools. The entire UT system covers COMs. UTA, UTSA, etc. Texas Southern has a COM. most community colleges even provide departments.

Other schools come to mind with very nice departments (maybe no marching band)...Texas Weslayan [sp], west Texas A&m, etc

Let's not be so naive with the spirit argument: participation would drop dramatically - for better or worse - if the requisite was removed. And those high school kids, many of them, are doing it because they get to avoid having to do P.E. and get an end-of-year band trip to look forward to.

**addition

Most high school bands spend about 2 hours every week day rehearsing. This includes their class block, plus the extra 1.5 hour morning practice that requires them to be at school by 7 am...maybe 630 for some. This does not include the extra time they arrange for weekly sectionals or the saturday run-throughs/review. Nor the alone time they spend practicing their music at home.

Edited by greenminer

Most schools operate this way. I can't think of any major colleges, at least in Texas, that do not have a COM. I know music majors and teachers from many schools. The entire UT system covers COMs. UTA, UTSA, etc. Texas Southern has a COM. most community colleges even provide departments.

Other schools come to mind with very nice departments (maybe no marching band)...Texas Weslayan [sp], west Texas A&m, etc

Let's not be so naive with the spirit argument: participation would drop dramatically - for better or worse - if the requisite was removed. And those high school kids, many of them, are doing it because they get to avoid having to do P.E. and get an end-of-year band trip to look forward to.

so i guess you answered my question somewhat so I've come to the conclusion that our band director needs to learn what type of music is appropriate for football games and that it is much different than music that would be played in an orchestra.

• Upvote 1

when i was in the band, 95-97, i was one of the few non-music majors. it is a required course for all music majors to do marching band, 2-3 years, can't remember. most of them hated it! i did it for the joy of football games and being part of something that i didn't have to be a part of. maybe if if was a required course, more people would do it that had a passion for it and the energy would show.

Thanks for coming onto the board. Maybe your people can adress playing over another schools Alma Mater and Fight songs. Please.

No problem. I just wanted to help clear a few things up. I don't know how the bands were set up in relation to one another (if they faced each other or if they were lined on the same side of the stadium) but I do know, that had Dr. Walker known that UNT's band was playing their alma mater he would have asked the Sound to stop. The fight song is different. Both bands usually play their fight songs at the end of the game so there should be no problem with the two bands both playing their fight songs at the same time.

Are you referring to Troy's Long School of Music?

In the past 10 years, how many opposing teams' bands have actually come to one of our home games? Sure Army, Navy, and now Troy came with their pep bands, but it's hard for me to remember the last time a full band came to Fouts.

Our band is not a college football band. It is a concert band pure and simple. And whoever leads our band is responsible for the songs played. Not much originality in their "game songs" or spirit songs if you ask me. Fly like and eagle absolutely has to go. It has no place in football games. Surely our band director could add several football spirit arrangements to the list rather than the UNT fight song, fly like an eagle, and one other.

I would be for a ranking football associate and a band dept. representative to work together and come up with new spirit songs for the football games.

As for the marching, I feel like I'm watching and elevated high school marching contest.

• Upvote 1

I would be for a ranking football associate and a band dept. representative to work together and come up with new spirit songs for the football games.

Yes, good idea.

I would also like to see a contest (or make it part of a class assignment?) in the music school to come up with some original compositions to play. Then have the ranking football associate and band department rep choose a few winners. We have the talent and the means to really set us above everyone else.

• Upvote 1

Yes, good idea.

I would also like to see a contest (or make it part of a class assignment?) in the music school to come up with some original compositions to play. Then have the ranking football associate and band department rep choose a few winners. We have the talent and the means to really set us above everyone else.

I would like for us to have a "victory song" as some schools do. I'm thinking it could be a student, or an alumni, "letsgiveacheer" from our board for an example.