Question To The Green Brigade People

the green rokemi

Miner, I'm not talking about a PA system. I know guitar/mic amps when I see them. They DID have a PA system in place and it was the same speaker on a stick system that Nick (our band director) uses. The brass may not have been amped, but the Bass Guitar was, and was HEAVILY amped. That overpowered the tubas, to be honest. I heard bass guitar, horns & trumpets from the field. 'bones and 'euphs could barely be distinguished.

I don't know why FLAE is getting panned here... You can't win, it seems. Some of the folks scream that we don't have tradition, and get miffed when things like shades of green and logos change, yet want a song that has been played here for 20+ years taken off the playlist. ...people don't want to be like "everyone else" when it comes to football tradition, but then want us to play the same rehashed "football tunes" that are played by every other band in the country at their football games from the JR. High level on up.

This is a band that may have the highest quality musician of any other Spirit organization in the country and is part of one of the PREMIER music schools in the world, and NOT a part of the Athletic Department. You have got to understand that this fact means it isn't a run of the mill High School Marching Band clone like you see at most Colleges around the country.

The band also has a duty to play for the Dance Team, something that again, is a bit outside the norm for most schools at this level - drill-team like dance teams aren't featured at most FBS schools. NT's dance team is another tradition that means the Band is a bit limited in the program it can put together and still have time to play for the dance team.

The stick thing is the "long ranger" it is for communication from the drum major to the band. So it probably is the same one your director uses, but it would do no good to try and amp the band with those.

The stick thing is the "long ranger" it is for communication from the drum major to the band. So it probably is the same one your director uses, but it would do no good to try and amp the band with those.

Agreed. Sound Quality sucks. I used one when I was a drum major back in the day at HS.

Yeah, you're right, why should you try to be good at things, just be loud and sound like garbage. How does the old saying go? If something isn't worth doing loud, it isn't worth doing. The group around me was ready to stop hearing the same five songs. They practiced 5 songs and played them repeatedly. Our band didn't play as loud, but they were much more entertaining.

Im pretty sure troy played more than 5 songs. I also believe the green brigade played the fight song and fly like an eagle the whole game. If your musicians are so great than these easy stand charts that every other college band play should be nothing for them to sight read. I don't think thats the case I think that those tunes are all the band could play well and thats ok but just because another schools "pep band" comes and blow you out the water doesn't mean u challenge their musicianship.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Im pretty sure troy played more than 5 songs. I also believe the green brigade played the fight song and fly like an eagle the whole game. If your musicians are so great than these easy stand charts that every other college band play should be nothing for them to sight read. I don't think thats the case I think that those tunes are all the band could play well and thats ok but just because another schools "pep band" comes and blow you out the water doesn't mean u challenge their musicianship.

For the record, our band played WAY more than 5 FLAE and the Fight Song.

Second, I don't think the "Pep Band" came in and blew us away. A brass band with an amplified bass (at least) that is 3/4 the size of our full band which is half woodwinds came in and were louder than us. ...certainly not cleaner or sharper.

...I wouldn't come into THIS website and bash someone for sticking up for our band by saying yours is better. ...sayin'.

• Downvote 2

Give me the name of one of the songs that Troy played tonight besides their fight song.

names of songs troy played at the game besides our shorties which are the 5 songs your referring to. The band played Hold on I'm Coming, Poker Face, Disco Inferno, Respect, Dr. Feelgood, The Stars and Stripes, Immigrant Song, a Hip Hop Medley and more.

Second, I don't think the "Pep Band" came in and blew us away. A brass band with an amplified bass (at least) that is 3/4 the size of our full band which is half woodwinds came in and were louder than us. ...certainly not cleaner or sharper.

...I wouldn't come into THIS website and bash someone for sticking up for our band by saying yours is better. ...sayin'.

I wouldn't come here bashing if yall weren't on hear bashing us. but according to your fans our band was better but the "Sound Pep Band " doesn't define our School of Music our Symphony band does.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wouldn't come here bashing if yall weren't on hear bashing us. but according to your fans our band was better but the "Sound Pep Band " doesn't define our School of Music our Symphony band does.

Well, I haven't bashed you...

...and nobody came to your site to bash your band, did they?

...if you're happy our fans liked your band, a simple thank you would have been nice.

And they WERE quite good. ...but certainly not better. ;)

• Upvote 1

Why minus him? You idiots are just having to reap what this thread sowed. Enjoy.

noudidnt3jg.gif

Here's a little reading material for you:

UNT Music School Webpage

Indiana University holds a candle. Otherwise, you need to look at private schools like Juliard to find better music programs, and forget about Jazz. UNT IS the best Jazz school.

Do not get UNT Alumni started on defending the Music School...

dude, their band was better than ours on saturday. we always play the same couple of songs, not very loud, not fully during the game, and it adds nothing to the experience. fly like an eagle gets old! i was glad their band was there and contributed to the game. our band is always the same music, nothing new.

maybe the green brigade was cleaner/sharper/more in tune/whatever, but to the masses, they can't tell the difference. it's all about who was louder, played more, and was more entertaining...and that was the troy band.

green brigade member 95-97, by choice, not major

Edited by radiogreen
  • Upvote 2

I've only gotten to page three so far (but glad this discussion is taking place), but here are some of my thoughts...

UNT has a more than qualified marching band director and I wouldn't ever second guess his decisions on when the band plays. I always want the band to play more, but I would have to think he knows what he is doing. Maybe it has something to do with class. He promotes and demands UNT spirit all the way.

Yes, music majors (at least music education majors) must participate in three years of marching band. Other students can also participate if they desire, and you do get alot of other students who like this activity. Nerds, nerds, nerds. By the way, I am a fan of the nerds.

That brings to another thought - the Green Brigade represents about 1% of the university population. You would think that would represent 1% of the trouble makers on campus (not that we have a lot), but you just don't hear anything negative about this group. Give this group some support - they aren't the jocks or jerks.

Basically, the Green Brigade doesn't get any kudos or perks but criticized by the footbal fans when they give you team spirit, bodies in Fout Field seats, and 20 hours plus a week of work for one hour of college credit. Most (a lot ?) of them enjoy the unappreciated experience.

Anyway, some of you have convinced me - I just got finished scraping off my UNT rear window sticker, and am comtemplating which to replace it with - SMU PONIES or SFA LUMBERJACKS. Please vote to help me find a better school to support.

Sorry to hear that UNT sucks so badly (football, marching band, school in general) - but glad you finally showed me the light. I have always disliked wasting my time on losing endeavors.

MB

Edited by CawClaw
  • Downvote 2

It's a long thread, so I can only assume some of you have not read it all.

Well before Troy was in I-A, it was at least partially known for its bands, Long School of Music and teachers college. The music program is renowned. Many, many high schools throughout the South and nation have Troy grads as their band leaders. Former (and I assume current) Troy band directors write music played by high schools and colleges worldwide. I was amazed to hear the ULM band play one of Troy's regular, originally written songs, last week!

The Troy pep band has one amp. Period. Can one electric guitar have made all the difference?

Almost everywhere the Troy Sound of the South goes, it leaves with great accolades. I witnessed a Sound of the South pep band smaller than the one that visited Denton embarrass the entire University of Miami marching band in the Orange Bowl (and, yes, the UM band is always miked).

The Troy band in Denton was less than one-third the size of the full band.

Here's the full band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQcXoHBIbZM

I wasn't at the game last weekend, but enjoyed my trip there a few years ago (weeknight game). Your fans were friendly and welcoming. Good luck with the program and new stadium. It looks great.

• Upvote 1

I've only gotten to page three so far (but glad this discussion is taking place), but here are some of my thoughts...

UNT has a more than qualified marching band director and I wouldn't ever second guess his decisions on when the band plays. I always want the band to play more, but I would have to think he knows what he is doing. Maybe it has something to do with class. He promotes and demands UNT spirit all the way.

I imagine this is directed at one of my replies. I knew the band director,albeit briefly, back when he was an RA in Kerr Hall. I am not taking shots at him personally, nor do I question his spirit and pride in UNT. The band, IMHO, took a huge step up when he took over a few years ago. I just think there is a disconnect somewhere at UNT. Go to any other major college football game and compare how much the home team band contributes to the atmosphere, how tied into the game they are (ie--how often they play, key plays, lulls in the action, etc) to what we do at UNT. We're just not there...yet. To make matters worse, virtually every time an opposing team brings a band to Fouts they are louder than our band. That should NEVER happen. I don't care if they are amping their bass, miking their horns, etc....we need to realize this is an issue and make sure it stops happening.

You keep wanting to take this criticism of the band itself and turn it into knocking the individuals who make up the band and us discounting their effort...and if that's how it's coming off, I apologize. Our band has had many of the same issues since I was in school ('96-'01)...I can assure you, this isn't a problem with the kids or their effort.

Either way, radiogreen pretty much nails it here:

maybe the green brigade was cleaner/sharper/more in tune/whatever, but to the masses, they can't tell the difference. it's all about who was louder, played more, and was more entertaining...and that was the troy band.

green brigade member 95-97, by choice, not major

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2

I am pretty sure the GB band director comes here and reads your comments. Whether he feels your comments have merit is his decision.

I have cheered on this losing football team for the last five years hoping for a win. When you criticize the supporters of this losing team, it is a bit of a kick in the teeth. This team doesn't deserve much support - so be grateful for the supporters this team has.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I wouldn't call a banjo, washtub bass and a set of spoons a "Symphony band." That may pass muster in Alabama, but not here!

Troy University's music program is one of the largest programs at the University. I live in Atlanta Metro and a lot of the High school instructors that teach around here are Troy alumni. Atlanta has some of the best known marching bands in the Country. Much of the "Football stand tunes" you hear from college bands (and High school bands) around the country have been written by Troy University's Ralph Ford. Heck just the week before, the ULM band was playing a piece Troy university had released just a couple years before. I really wish the entire SOTS could have been in Denton the other night for you guys to see.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am pretty sure the GB band director comes here and reads your comments. Whether he feels your comments have merit is his decision.

I have cheered on this losing football team for the last five years hoping for a win. When you criticize the supporters of this losing team, it is a bit of a kick in the teeth. This team doesn't deserve much support - so be grateful for the supporters this team has.

I just don't see where the criticism is. Nobody is debating how talented our band members are. They are better musicians than any other band's members we will ever hear. However, talented musicians playing in a college football band doesn't equate to a good football band. The pieces they play in the stands don't have to be difficult, intricate pieces. The point of them playing during the game is to get people excited and cheering. I'm not saying they shouldn't play the difficult songs at halftime, I just think they should play more football game atmosphere appropriate songs.

We're arguing about an Academic program with Troy fans? Really?!

The same Troy where family trees have no branches? Ok, that may have been a bit harsh, but really, it is stupid to debate the merits of Troy's music program VS UNT's. It's not even up for debate. Troy's program may be good, but it doesn't compare to UNT's, but then again, whose does?????

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1