Sources: Tim Brewster Informed He Will Not Be Back In 2011

gangrene

Maryland will be next. Colorado's annual Big 12 collapse is occurring as well.

The loss to FIU leaves us with only two realistically winnable games left - WKU and ULM. It is impossible to go 4-4 in the Belt now.

Rick Villareal - or whichever of your minions is trolling the board for you these days - it's time to start making the phone calls. Do not let this thing get ahead of you. Many jobs will open up from now until the end of the season.

Do the right thing. Get an experienced program builder hired before December 1 so he can assemble a staff and be out on the road before the early JUCO signing period ends.

Sad about all of this. Feel bad for the players. Feel bad for the coaches who didn't begin this rocky gamble but will be caught up in the painful end of it.

No more gambles. No more gambles. No more gambles.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

The loss to FIU leaves us with only two realistically winnable games left - WKU and ULM. It is impossible to go 4-4 in the Belt now.

Rick Villareal - or whichever of your minions is trolling the board for you these days - it's time to start making the phone calls. Do not let this thing get ahead of you. Many jobs will open up from now until the end of the season.

Do the right thing. Get an experienced program builder hired before December 1 so he can assemble a staff and be out on the road before the early JUCO signing period ends.

Sad about all of this. Feel bad for the players. Feel bad for the coaches who didn't begin this rocky gamble but will be caught up in the painful end of it.

Me too. I would love to see where we'd be right now if we'd had this same staff in place four years ago.

It's always a gamble when you hire a Coach who has never built a program from the ground up to coach at North Texas.

Hayden Fry was a program builder/rebuilder

Corkey Nelson proved to be one

Coach schnellenberger is/was a program builder

Coach Levitt is/was a program builder.

You can't throw money at the problem per se. You first have to find someone who knows how to start with nothing (or very little) and build something up.

I'm going to say this for the umpteenth time. We are a different culture. It takes a person willing to "work the crowd" (students, alumni, faculty, local communities) to turn things around here.

DO NOT THROW MONEY AT A BIG NAME. ESPECIALLY IF THE "BIG NAME" HAS NEVER ROLLED UP THEIR SLEEVES AND WORKED THEIR WAY UP FROM THE BOTTOM.

IS ANYONE LISTENING?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wasn't Turner Gill here for a little bit?

Yes, he was a grad assistant, in 1989. Nothing I see in Gill's record indicates he should be our next HC. You can do a search for him on Wikipedia and find all the facts. Here's something that makes me question his judgment (especially for a place like Denton), this "No women after 10 p.m. policy".

Turner Gill "no women after 10" rule.

Edited by eulessismore

There aren't many of those program builders out there. While we are rebuilding the on the field product...I would say we have a great foundation with a new stadium, new facilities, huge TX public school and pretty damn decent crowds during the TD era which is shocking. I say just get a guy who can evaluate talent and put it all together into a winnable product. I don't think it will be as tough because we are in a conference that will allow a quicker turnaround than in other conferences.

It's always a gamble when you hire a Coach who has never built a program from the ground up to coach at North Texas.

DO NOT THROW MONEY AT A BIG NAME. ESPECIALLY IF THE "BIG NAME" HAS NEVER ROLLED UP THEIR SLEEVES AND WORKED THEIR WAY UP FROM THE BOTTOM.

IS ANYONE LISTENING?

Loud and clear!!!!

If Terry Bowden(Team is currently ranked 4th in DII) isn't the man, or Jim Leavitt, then Chris Thomsen(Team is currently ranked 3rd in DII) it needs to be.

The talent that has come out of ACU over the years has been great. Other than Don Carthel(Team is currently ranked 6th in DII) I can't think of a better up and comer program builder and evaluator of talent in Texas right now than Chris Thomsen.

Rick

What about the SFA coach?

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/harper_jc00.html

Not a bad suggestion Deep.

He played football at Clemson (big time program)

Has worked under big time coaches at big time programs as a GA.

Has worked his way up through the lower levels, so he knows (or has learned) how to make the most out of humble resources.

His background is defense.

He's been in Texas long enough to have made a lot of contacts with HS coaches, so recruiting wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by SilverEagle

Loud and clear!!!!

If Terry Bowden(Team is currently ranked 4th in DII) isn't the man, or Jim Leavitt, then Chris Thomsen(Team is currently ranked 3rd in DII) it needs to be.

The talent that has come out of ACU over the years has been great. Other than Don Carthel(Team is currently ranked 6th in DII) I can't think of a better up and comer program builder and evaluator of talent in Texas right now than Chris Thomsen.

Rick

Thomsen is not a bad suggestion, because he started off playing college ball at TCU (connection to a big time program), and seemed to be an outstanding all around athlete. He seems to have a talent for recruiting and he certainly knows Texas....and Texas coaches.

http://www.acusports.com/staff.aspx?staff=43

Don Carthel, while much older than Thomsen, is pretty much the same guy.....only with a bit more "interesting" coaching experience.......which he was successful at.

http://www.gobuffsgo.com/coaches.aspx?rc=200&path=football

Thomsen is not a bad suggestion, because he started off playing college ball at TCU (connection to a big time program), and seemed to be an outstanding all around athlete. He seems to have a talent for recruiting and he certainly knows Texas....and Texas coaches.

http://www.acusports...f.aspx?staff=43

Don Carthel, while much older than Thomsen, is pretty much the same guy.....only with a bit more "interesting" coaching experience.......which he was successful at.

http://www.gobuffsgo...0&path=football

Thomsen would be a great hire..... as the OC for the next head coach at UNT.

It is a big jump from DII to FBS football. Too big of a risk of making the same mistake twice in a row.

• Upvote 2

Thomsen would be a great hire..... as the OC for the next head coach at UNT.

It is a big jump from DII to FBS football. Too big of a risk of making the same mistake twice in a row.

It's not just D-II, it's successful D-II. These coaches are making the same contacts with HS coaches as the big programs. Only now, they would be talking to HS coaches about their All-State players instead of their All-District players....or All-District HM players.

If we were playing Abilene Christian instead of Troy, would you put $100.00 down on North Texas to win?

You are talking about the ACU B-Team right?

Guys.. we are bad, really bad, but I think everyone needs to keep a little perspective. We'd beat ACU by at least 4 touchdowns if we played them. The difference in the quality of athlete we have if pretty large. Even if Dodge is football Trilli, this isn't basketball and we'd cream any Division II team we faced. We'd probably cream 75% of the 1-AAs as well.

Edited by MeanGreenTeeth

Guys.. we are bad, really bad, but I think everyone needs to keep a little perspective. We'd beat ACU by at least 4 touchdowns if we played them. The difference in the quality of athlete we have if pretty large. Even if Dodge is football Trilli, this isn't basketball and we'd cream any Division II team we faced. We'd probably cream 75% of the 1-AAs as well.

Yet they are the team who puts guys in the NFL... I'd also take Clark Harrell as our starting QB this year. We play them right now it would be a very close game

Yet they are the team who puts guys in the NFL... I'd also take Clark Harrell as our starting QB this year. We play them right now it would be a very close game

I don't care if he's John Elway, they are still not going to win. As mediocre as our lines have been, they'd greatly overmatch ACU (I'm so depressed I even have to discuss this. Sign of the times I guess).

Tell you what. Call Dodge and have him schedule the game :lol: . I'll give you 14 points.