Talked To Tcu'er Yesterday: "jerry Jones Is Gouging

PlummMeanGreen

The TCU fan I ran into yesterday told me the cheapest ticket is $45 for their game at Cowboy Stadium. He said it is killing ticket sales for the Horned Frog's game versus Oregon State. I asked him why so high and he said it was Jerry Jone's call on ticket prices for that game. He said it's going to look like no one is inside that stadium for that game.

Jerry's World aka Cowboy Stadium? That doesn't sound like a good place for anyone to play a college football game unless your Texas, OU, TAMU or whoever.

GMG!

• Downvote 2

TCU and Oregon State agreed to the ticket prices prior to this game being scheduled at Jerry's World, so it's no one's fault but the two schools.

What will kill the attendance for this game is the fact that TCU has so few fans and alumni, which mostly are made up of the wealthy and privileged. There just isn't that many people around who can afford to pay $41,100 per school year who would also have the kind of invested interest to pay to go see them play next door? I think when there's a big game later in the year which the outcome decides who stay's ranked and have a chance to BCS bust or not, then the working class/common folks will make the trip to the AC. But right now everyone's team in the area, regardless of who they support is undefeated, which kills the interest in this particular game. And it's a shame because the frogs are one of the top teams in the nation right now.

Just my thoughts.

Rick

Well, $45 doesn't sound that bad to me, if it was a good seat location, but the post says it is the "lowest priced ticket". Makes one wonder what a "good seat" would cost. TCU had to know the prices would be high when they signed to play in Jerry World. TCU is not the first to use Jerry World, so it should come as not surprise to anyone. It isn't the ticket price that I would see as "gouging", but wait until they see the price to park and those concession prices. I find it hard to believe that folks would not be aware of this situation by now.

You want to play with the "big boys"? Well, there is a price to pay. I hope there is a good crowd for TCU's sake and the TV exposure. But, my focus is on the Mean Green. Good luck TCU.

Yeah, I don't really get this game. The Frogs should have tried to schedule an opponent with some local interest (Big 12) instead of one that will bring a very few thousand. I went to the Baylor/Tech game last year and they had a real nice crowd, but a lot of the attendance was due to the novelty of the stadium. A lot of that has now worn off.

TCU and Oregon State agreed to the ticket prices prior to this game being scheduled at Jerry's World, so it's no one's fault but the two schools.

What will kill the attendance for this game is the fact that TCU has so few fans and alumni, which mostly are made up of the wealthy and privileged. There just isn't that many people around who can afford to pay $41,100 per school year who would also have the kind of invested interest to pay to go see them play next door? I think when there's a big game later in the year which the outcome decides who stay's ranked and have a chance to BCS bust or not, then the working class/common folks will make the trip to the AC. But right now everyone's team in the area, regardless of who they support is undefeated, which kills the interest in this particular game. And it's a shame because the frogs are one of the top teams in the nation right now.

Just my thoughts.

Rick

Sorry bud, but not all Frogs are "are made up of the wealthy and privileged." My wife is a Horned Frog working for a nonprofit (married down to a UNT grad?); our friends and relatives who are Frogs are hard working folks in careers such as teaching, social work, and nursing. They sure aren't like the smugstangs over in Dallas.

That said, $45 to watch a game at Jerry's world is just a sad commentary on the state of sports business and greed, but elitism is what built the stadium in Arlington and I guess he has to pay for it somehow.

• Upvote 1

(1) It pains me to the utmost to have to make a serious post.

(2) To TCU fans, B-O-O H-O-O. What did you expect? You are playing a game at the biggest, newest stadium in America. I didn't hear OU or BYU fans complaining last year. If you want to be a big boy school, you pay big boy prices.

(3) If you'd like, we'll lease out our new stadium to you next year on the weekends we aren't playing there and will make the ticket prices $35 dollars for any seat in the house. For $50, we'll let you sit with Todd Dodge and you can help him take notes on how Chico Canales runs a game.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

(1) It pains me to the utmost to have to make a serious post.

(2) To TCU fans, B-O-O H-O-O. What did you expect? You are playing a game at the biggest, newest stadium in America. I didn't hear OU or BYU fans complaining last year. If you want to be a big boy school, you pay big boy prices.

(3) If you'd like, we'll lease out our new stadium to you next year on the weekends we aren't playing there and will make the ticket prices $35 dollars for any seat in the house. For $50, we'll let you sit with Todd Dodge and you can help him take notes on how Chico Canales runs a game.

This times a thousand. Pay up or shut up.

• Upvote 3

Why go to the game in the Deathstar when I can watch from the comfort of my home? It'll cost me a lot less $ and I won't feel out of place if I am wearing my Mean Green gear.

I agree that scheduling a west coast school for a game in that huge stadium was a tactical error on TCU's part. I wonder how much it'll cost them in lost revenue as they'll never fill that place without a more local team. Arkansas would have been a much better choice than Oregon State.

Why go to the game in the Deathstar when I can watch from the comfort of my home? It'll cost me a lot less $ and I won't feel out of place if I am wearing my Mean Green gear.

I tried watching games on TV at home once upon a time... But my ex-girlfriend ruined it by wearing a University of Georgia shirt while the North Texas game was on.

I moved out and haven't been back since. That'll show the landlord that I'm not willing to put up with that sort of crap.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I agree that scheduling a west coast school for a game in that huge stadium was a tactical error on TCU's part. I wonder how much it'll cost them in lost revenue as they'll never fill that place without a more local team. Arkansas would have been a much better choice than Oregon State.

Arkansas is already playing there (against A$M) every year for 10 years and ticket prices are the same if not more. $45 is not bad for a major college matchup in a primo stadium. The price for the NT/KSU game in dumpy Fouts is $35. The fact that TCU/OSU has only sold ~30,000 tickets total shows how few fans and alums TCU has and why they will not be asked into the Big12 anytime soon.

I tried watching games on TV at home once upon a time... But my ex-girlfriend ruined it by wearing a University of Georgia shirt while the North Texas game was on.

I moved out and haven't been back since. That'll show the landlord that I'm not willing to put up with that sort of crap.

It's a riddle. The ex-girlfriend was his landlord. How can anyone neg that? Don't you guys like logic problems.

Another thing about TCU...surely they don't think their ticket prices will remain the same after their $100+ million stadium revamp, do they?

These things have to get paid for. I wonder how much the schools get in television revenue for the game. If it's more than they'd get for a normal home game, they may not give a crap about the ticket prices. It's already that way in pro sports.

A friend gave me front row seats to a Stars game last year. I took my son. Price of the tickets $300 a piece. I enjoyed the game. But, I remember thinking to myself, would I be enjoying it if I'd pulled the $600 out of my pocket for it?

My guess was probably not. First, my wife would kill me for spending that kind of money on anything that didn't come out of a women's clothing store. Second, what is the real price of "entertainment"?

Everyone has a break point in their loyalty. I'll go watch the Stars for free. I'll go watch the Mavericks for free. Ditto the Cowboys. I wish them all well. But, I'm not a big enough fans to pay top dollar to see them. The concession prices are high and the atmosphere ain't my cup of tea...especially with the Mavericks.

With your favorite college team, it's the same. You count the cost. But, you've got to remember that these days the decisions for the pricing of sporting events, for better or worse, do not come with the fan in mind first. It's a business. It's just become a business. And, television is money in the sports business.

• Upvote 2

With your favorite college team, it's the same. You count the cost. But, you've got to remember that these days the decisions for the pricing of sporting events, for better or worse, do not come with the fan in mind first. It's a business. It's just become a business. And, television is money in the sports business.

Very true. I think the cost of the ticket, which doesn't include how much it costs to take you car to the game, has outpriced many of the casual fans. I only expect the diehards fans to make that game.

Very true. I think the cost of the ticket, which doesn't include how much it costs to take you car to the game, has outpriced many of the casual fans. I only expect the diehards fans to make that game.

The average ticket price in the Big 12 is much $20-30 higher than this game. They have spent 3 years demanding and proclaiming that they belong is this league. The prices suck, but that's what it costs to see OSU, A&M, OU, UT or anyone else play a premium home game against Slapdick State.

Again, put up or shut up.

• Upvote 1

The average ticket price in the Big 12 is much $20-30 higher than this game. They have spent 3 years demanding and proclaiming that they belong is this league. The prices suck, but that's what it costs to see OSU, A&M, OU, UT or anyone else play a premium home game against Slapdick State.

UT, OU, A$M, OkSU all have enormous fanbases. Those schools playing in other stadiums such as the Deathstar gives more fans that might not make a home game the opportunity to make that game, thus filling in any holes created by fans that can't make that specific game. I would bet that TxTech and Baylor would struggle to sell out Jerry world against Oregon State.

TCU just doesn't have the fanbase to fill that stadium on its own like the 4 regional heavyweights would.

UT, OU, A$M, OkSU all have enormous fanbases. Those schools playing in other stadiums such as the Deathstar gives more fans that might not make a home game the opportunity to make that game, thus filling in any holes created by fans that can't make that specific game. I would bet that TxTech and Baylor would struggle to sell out Jerry world against Oregon State.

TCU just doesn't have the fanbase to fill that stadium on its own like the 4 regional heavyweights would.

I agree with you there, but TCU scheduled the game and is touting itself as this emerging Big 12-caliber school. Part of that should be having Big 12 caliber fan support. If they can't bring Big 12 level support coming off a BCS bid, then they don't deserve to be there.

It's actually scary to me that they can't, because they have invested a ton of resources into preparing for this game and this season. They enlisted at least 4 vendors to assist with marketing and did their best to make a splash, yet here they are, worried about having a nationally televised attendance embarrassment for one of their showcase games. To put this in GMG terms, the annual fee for 3-4 agencies buys a hell of a lot of posters -- enough to blanket every pizza place, sandwich shop and junior high band room across Denton county.

EDIT 1: Embarrassment is a strong term.

EDIT 2: I would love for TCU to do well and rattle the BCS tree and wasted many a word supporting them here last year. I just honestly expected them to turn this game into a coming out party for the fan base.

Edited by Quoner

Where's the "grammar police" when you need them? Probably stopped at the side of the noun eating a donut. Good grief!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

True. From a customer of ours who has OU season tickets in the general admission section:

This weekend game against Slapdick Utah State: $52.

No grandiose stadium. Not going to be nationally televised. Just OU and the Utah State Fighting Slapdicks. $52. Per ticket. General Admission.

You think the OU fan cares? Hell no! Half of them fart Benjamins from oil and gas royaties up there. The other half sacrifices and sets aside a couple of weeks worth of meth cash or holds off on their next white trash tattoo.

TCU is supposed to be a private school for the Richie Riches who don't want to drive over to liberal SMU or down to conservative Baylor. I find it hard to believe that a fan base who purports to pay for a $100 million stadium revamp is seriously unable to come up with $45 to watch their beloved Horned Frogs.

Sad thing is, if this were UNT that came into the season ranked #5 after 8 or 9 years of football success with membership in a BCS conference possibly riding on the attendance of this game, is there any doubt that 60k plus would be in attendance?

Sigh...what could should have been...sigh

Where's the "grammar police" when you need them? Probably stopped at the side of the noun eating a donut. Good grief!

You've choked out about 700 posts in the last two weeks. Osmosis! B)

You've choked out about 700 posts in the last two weeks. Osmosis! B)

And, that is significant or applicable, how? I am honored to know you are counting and that it makes that much of a difference to you. Something in my post regarding "rocks and glass houses" or "stuck pigs" get to you? Just trying to have a little fun with you. Sorry it must have struck a nerve. Sure didn't mean it that way. Having a bad day?

And, that is significant or applicable, how? I am honored to know you are counting and that it makes that much of a difference to you. Something in my post regarding "rocks and glass houses" or "stuck pigs" get to you? Just trying to have a little fun with you. Sorry it must have struck a nerve. Sure didn't mean it that way. Having a bad day?

If you've lost the ability to recognize playful sarcasm as heralded by the sunglasses guy, it is going to be a long season. I was only joking back with you. I never counted, but I bet you've only posted 200-250 times max. It was a big week for deep snappers and various local chapters of the exes, but it wasn't THAT big. B)

He wears sunglasses because he's joking -- just like in the bible!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I didn't say they ALL were, I said they are MOSTLY made up of the wealth and privileged..BUD!

Rick

Re-read your first remark... didn't mean to put words in your mouth... perception of TCU folks being the haves versus the rest of us have nots just gets exaggerated. I know some of the kids there act like its SMU but most of them are good hard working people...

No offense meant by "bud"; just an old habit from FW oldtimers I use to work with...

Guess we'll be priced out of games....

Edited by Primo
  • Upvote 1