Texas St. And Utsa Are Getting "shown Interest" By Wac

Trinity is Division III now after dropping down because of the loses they incurred trying to play college sports in the San Antonio market.

You can seriously compare El Paso and San Antonio - have you even been to both? There is a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar in SA, one of the top tourist destinations in the state. Riverwalk, museums, the Alamo, two theme parks, multiple high schools with Texas 5a and previously 4a football championships, the Spurs, etc. Compared to El Paso where you can watch UTEP or the beheadings across the river. UTSA has a challenge getting coverage in the SA media while in El Paso covering UTEP give people relief and a well needed diversion.

How is history repeating itself?

omg i couldn't stop laughing at that.

which is at least 4 types of sad.

By the way,

Although think it is sensible to look at UTSA as a potential threat to UNT, it is equally sensible to not freak out about it.

We obviously have some kind of issue with doubting UNT's ability to have a successful athletic operation. Like most issues, it is hard to shake and can become self-fulfilling. So, it is understandable for some UNT-ers to get all freaked out when some other team is starting up a football team and has designs on becoming awesome. We look at our decades-old squad and sigh, as we remember all times we shot ourselves in the foot.

I take a more middle-ground stance about UTSA. Sure, San Antonio has advantages, but so does Denton. When you are talking to a recruit -- he likely isn't excited by visits to the Alamo and Sea World. Denton's mini-Austin like feel? Yeah. Dallas' douchebag bars n crap? Yep. More chicks? Yes.

Without knowing anything about UTSA's scheduling process, I'd wager the schools that are lined up to visit are either a) planning on backing out or b ) looking to showcase their program to San Antonio high schoolers.

Edited by aztecskin

UTSA may have no team yet, but they are doing something Texas State is not. They are filling up their home schedule with teams I'd like to see in Denton.

So far they have home games with:

Houston

Kansas State

Arizona

Arizona State

Baylor

Colorado State

La Tech

Virginia

This is, in no small part, due to Larry Coker's ties. Who you hire counts in so many ways. In so many way. In so many. Ways. In so. Many. Ways. In. So. Many. Ways.

UTSA may have no team yet, but they are doing something Texas State is not. They are filling up their home schedule with teams I'd like to see in Denton.

So far they have home games with:

Houston

Kansas State

Arizona

Arizona State

Baylor

Colorado State

La Tech

Virginia

Seems almost unfair that UTSA does not have to go through their own 40 years of a roller-coaster co-existence in the NCAA wilderness rather then getting it all handed to them much too easy; that is, moving to an automatically built-in stadium situation with their Alamo-Dome. Oh well, I guess some of us just have to suffer while others get the NCAA version of silk-stocking row handed to them on a silver platter.

Still amazing how quickly things can go for your program when you have a legitimate major college football stadium from the git-go. Sorry, but I'm a bit envious of what UTSA is getting without even having fielded a football team yet, but like most of us were taught quite early: Who said life would ever be fair? End of my green-tinted rant. :rolleyes::)

UTSA football stadium: http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/Alamodome.jpg

Not sure that you mean the Alamo Dome is better than TS's stadium. The Alamo Dome is no big deal, and I still don't know why people think UTSA is going to take off in the middle of Longhorn and Aggie country. Texas State does have some tradition from the Wacker years to fall back on, and those former students from those years are the ones who are getting behind the program with their money now. Lots of our former students could learn a thing or two. On campus facilities will outsell off campus sites most of the time imo. Just ask Univ. of Houston, SMU, UNT, Univ of Minn., etc. The big time programs, in my opinion, that have had off campus stadiums and had success are Miami and USC. I think the original poster meant overall facilities anyway. Again, I think Texas State is way ahead of UTSA in terms of facilities, some tradition, and just the fact it is more of a typical college that UTSA.

Not sure that you mean the Alamo Dome is better than TS's stadium. The Alamo Dome is no big deal, and I still don't know why people think UTSA is going to take off in the middle of Longhorn and Aggie country. Texas State does have some tradition from the Wacker years to fall back on, and those former students from those years are the ones who are getting behind the program with their money now. Lots of our former students could learn a thing or two. On campus facilities will outsell off campus sites most of the time imo. Just ask Univ. of Houston, SMU, UNT, Univ of Minn., etc. The big time programs, in my opinion, that have had off campus stadiums and had success are Miami and USC. I think the original poster meant overall facilities anyway. Again, I think Texas State is way ahead of UTSA in terms of facilities, some tradition, and just the fact it is more of a typical college that UTSA.

I agree... I don't understand all of the hype around the alamo dome.. big deal; if big, glorious, off campus stadiums were better for a school, then Houston would be playing at Reliant every year

I agree... I don't understand all of the hype around the alamo dome.. big deal; if big, glorious, off campus stadiums were better for a school, then Houston would be playing at Reliant every year

It is obviously a big enough deal (AlamoDome) that BCS teams are scheduling to visit San Antonio and play the non-existent team from UTSA instead of San Marcos up the road with a long time program. I don't know, you tell me what's the difference and why?

And why can't Virginia, Ariz, Az St., Colo St, et al visit Denton home/home against our FBS program? Something in this situation smells like a RiverWalk, er fishy. B)

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is obviously a big enough deal (AlamoDome) that BCS teams are scheduling to visit San Antonio and play the non-existent team from UTSA instead of San Marcos up the road with a long time program. I don't know, you tell me what's the difference and why? And why can't Virginia, Ariz, Az St., Colo St, et al visit Denton home/home against our FBS program?

Because we played in Fouts and UTSA is nothing more than a glorified 1AA at this time. Some of these games will never happen and those that do are done so because it allows these teams visibility in Texas, one of, if not the best, recruiting states in the nation. I bet we can attract a few of these to Denton when the new stadium opens.

• Upvote 4

Because we played in Fouts and UTSA is nothing more than a glorified 1AA at this time. Some of these games will never happen and those that do are done so because it allows these teams visibility in Texas, one of, if not the best, recruiting states in the nation. I bet we can attract a few of these to Denton when the new stadium opens.

I think we can and will too. Our new stadium will make a huge difference in what we offer as a road trip, and for high school playoff games too. Think of all the potential future students and parents of those students who will visit Denton, see the stadium and have a whole different outlook on UNT than when they were greeted with Fouts.

• Upvote 3

I think we can and will too. Our new stadium will make a huge difference in what we offer as a road trip, and for high school playoff games too. Think of all the potential future students and parents of those students who will visit Denton, see the stadium and have a whole different outlook on UNT than when they were greeted with Fouts.

You know...on roadtrips as a child I remember seeing ULM's crappy stadium (it impressed me at the time)....bottom line is I always remembered Monroe LA because when we headed east we always saw that stadium and I always thought some big team played there. Now imagine how kids and anyone who enters the Metroplex from 35 will feel? A great first impression??? I would say so.

• Upvote 1

It is obviously a big enough deal (AlamoDome) that BCS teams are scheduling to visit San Antonio and play the non-existent team from UTSA instead of San Marcos up the road with a long time program. I don't know, you tell me what's the difference and why?

And why can't Virginia, Ariz, Az St., Colo St, et al visit Denton home/home against our FBS program? Something in this situation smells like a RiverWalk, er fishy. B)

I would imagine its because TSUSM has to worry about conference games and they recognize that a beating from a BCS team won't help them look better to a potential conference.

Because they have a football team in fcs, they should be worrying about making the playoffs.. one fbs team a year is probably right for them until they get a nod from a conference.

UTSA, imo, has to sell based on potential. To do so, you do things like hire a national championship (that no one else wants) coach, play in a glorified stadium, and use your connections to schedule ridiculous games all the way out to 2018. Remember, they have never even played a game. At least TSUSM claims a few championships from back in the 80's.

I think we could schedule every single FBS team in the country to play us at "home" if we did what UTSA is doing and held our games at an off-campus location owned by somebody else, either at Cotton or at Jerryworld. The reason we don't (and why I'll bet UTSA moves out of the Alamodome ASAP) is because it makes absolutely no economic sense to do so. UTSA will find that out the hard way.

TXST has taken a very careful thought out approach to going FBS. At this time we are more focused on wining conference championships and playing for a national title. Hosting the playoffs in 2005 did more to advertise our program than any FBS game has done. We were on ESPN 3 weeks in a row and many viewers thought they were watching FBS football. With the FCS championship being hosted in Texas the next few seasons gives TXST the opportunity to realy show what type of fans we have in Texas.

TXST has taken a very careful thought out approach to going FBS. At this time we are more focused on wining conference championships and playing for a national title. Hosting the playoffs in 2005 did more to advertise our program than any FBS game has done. We were on ESPN 3 weeks in a row and many viewers thought they were watching FBS football. With the FCS championship being hosted in Texas the next few seasons gives TXST the opportunity to realy show what type of fans we have in Texas.

Good luck to you guys. I wish you nothing but success...will be fun to host you guys one of these days in the new Mean Green stadium. You guys should be able to bring quite a few folks to such a game.

Who are these people that watch FCS football and think it's FBS??? :blink::unsure::blink:

beverly-hillbillies-2.jpg

After Jethro takes the family for a drive, they plan to go for a swim in the cement pond and watch some Texas State FBS playoff football on the picture box.

• Upvote 4

I really don't care to talk smack because I think these forums have better use to share info and ideas. The comments that were made by viewers that came to bobcatfans were impressed with our crowd energy and the overall game. They mentioned it was simmilar to a FBS game and since it was on ESPN in HD that added to the viewing experience.

Who are these people that watch FCS football and think it's FBS??? :blink::unsure::blink:

beverly-hillbillies-2.jpg

After Jethro takes the family for a drive, they plan to go for a swim in the cement pond and watch some Texas State FBS playoff football on the picture box.

Lol.. +1

My contacts tell me UTSA has missed every fund-raising target milestone.

I've only driven by the AlamoDome but what about it makes it a cinch to draw recruits and crowds.

Houston gave up playing in an NFL dome once they no longer had the assurance of Texas, TAMU, and Arkansas boosting their crowds.

Tulane struggles to draw a crowd.

Minnesota averages more than 14,000 unsold seats per game in an NFL dome hosting folks like Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State and having gone to bowls the last two years.

USF playing in a pro stadium hasn't been able to get close to filling it and they could sell 30,000 tickets for a bowl in their metro area.

San Diego State barely outdraws UNT in an NFL stadium.

So what is it about the AlamoDome that will send such huge support their way.

So what is it about the AlamoDome that will send such huge support their way.

According to their fans, San Antonio loves UTSA and the city is desperate for college football.

The Alamo dome is a great facility, but the lower level really needed to have a slightly steeper pitch to the seating. I found the hard way someone 6'4" with a cowboy hat on TWO rows in front can really block the view of the game for a 5'10" person like me.

UTSA isn't that big of a deal to the folks that live in SA. Go down there and read the Express-News. Big 12 dominates the college sports section & front page when stories warrant it. Not UTSA. Locals may want college football, but they want Big 12(minus 2) quality football in SA. That city follows UT and to a lesser extent TAMU. Kinda like the DFW metroplex.

People get way too wrapped up in what a few UTSA folks on the internet throw out there. I think that UTSA could eventually start and grow a viable D1 football program, but to act like the locals in SA are just frothing at the mouth for them to start football there is a little far fetched.

UTSA isn't that big of a deal to the folks that live in SA. Go down there and read the Express-News. Big 12 dominates the college sports section & front page when stories warrant it. Not UTSA. Locals may want college football, but they want Big 12(minus 2) quality football in SA. That city follows UT and to a lesser extent TAMU. Kinda like the DFW metroplex.

People get way too wrapped up in what a few UTSA folks on the internet throw out there. I think that UTSA could eventually start and grow a viable D1 football program, but to act like the locals in SA are just frothing at the mouth for them to start football there is a little far fetched.

Don't think that I actually BELIEVE what the UTSA fans are writing. Their fans are very enthusiastic which is a good thing, but it does make for amusing posts.

One of their fans who writes a lot on the Sun Belt board is convinced UTSA's football program will "pass UNT by" before 2013. How many conference championships have we won? Let them win 10, less than half of what we have and place at least one player in the NFL hall of fame and then we can start to talk about them catching up.