Don't Call Us, We'll Call You ( Unt )

LaTech (and those hillbillies on their boards) need UNT in their conference a hell of a lot more than we need any of them.

I voted earlier in one of the "UNT to the WAC" polls in the affirmative. I am officially reversing field on that vote. The WAC is a doomed conference whose teams will soon be looking for homes even in the Sun Belt which they almost universally show disdain for.

Maybe the Southland Conference has room for LaTech during their next expansion. :P

• Upvote 1

I know right? What did we ever do to them?

Build a new stadium instead of an endzone add-on facility. Spurned their college football sexual advances (made through a note from their friend, The WAC), Live in DFW instead of Ruston freaking Louisiana. Not be a technical school. Have 28 million more in our endowment. Have 26K more active students. Actually have good looking coeds on campus.

They sound like a bunch of spurned little girls to me.

• Upvote 3

I would still rather play in the WAC. They have teams that casual football fans know somthing about. They send teams to bigger and better bowl games. Most importantly (to me) I would rather watch a game against the teams from the WAC than any of the Sunbelt teams. Troy is the only team from our conference that I get up to see come to town. Conference USA would be our best option by a mile, but the WAC is still better from a football watching perspective than the Sunbelt. I do agree with one of their posters in that having Arkansas State, and ULM / ULALA, and Middle Tennesee come to town each week is killing our program. I know the travel schedule (blah blah), the immenant cherry picking by stronger leagues (yadda yadda), etc, etc is a problem with the WAC. I get it. But man, I would really love to have a team come to town that someone at my office other than fellow NT alum have ever heard of.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bigger bowls?

Boise: Going away.

New Mexico: #2 vs. MWC 3/4

Hawaii: Guaranteed to Hawaii if eligible but if you do the research, NEVER has a mainland team gone to the Hawaii Bowl without losing between $1 million and $1.8 million.

Kraft Fight Hunger (Emerald in San Francisco) vs. Pac-10 #6 in 2010 and 2013

Poinsettia (San Diego) vs. MWC #2 in 2011 and 2012

That's three bowl ties, the closest is New Mexico.

Between the GMAC, New Orleans, Humanitarian, Hawaii, Emerald, and Poinsettia which had ranked teams last year?

The GMAC drew a larger TV audience than:

Armed Forces (Houston v. Air Force)

Eagle Bank (UCLA v. Temple)

Hawaii (SMU v. Nevada)

Humanitarian (Bowling Green v. Idaho)

Independence (Texas A&M v. Georgia)

Insight (Minnesota v. Iowa State)

International (South Florida v. Northern Illinois)

Las Vegas (BYU v. Oregon State)

Music City (Kentucky v. Clemson)

New Orleans (Southern Miss v. Middle Tenn)

PapaJohns.com (South Carolina v. Connecticut)

St. Pete (UCF v. Rutgers)

Texas (Navy v. Missouri)

• Upvote 2

I do agree with one of their posters in that having Arkansas State, and ULM / ULALA, and Middle Tennesee come to town each week is killing our program. I know the travel schedule (blah blah), the immenant cherry picking by stronger leagues (yadda yadda), etc, etc is a problem with the WAC. I get it. But man, I would really love to have a team come to town that someone at my office other than fellow NT alum have ever heard of.

I'm trying to figure out why Utah STATE (not Utah), Idaho (NOT Boise), San Jose State and NMSU (NOT New Mexico) are so much better known to everyone than Arkansas State, ULM, UL or MT. I know most the people in my office don't know who ANY of them are as my office has a lot of OU, UT and various Pac 10 fans.

If what you are looking for is the "respect" around the water cooler by Big XII fans, it is not going to happen soon. They don't give respect to the bottom six of the Big XII!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I'm trying to figure out why Utah STATE (not Utah), Idaho (NOT Boise), San Jose State and NMSU (NOT New Mexico) are so much better known to everyone than Arkansas State, ULM, UL or MT. I know most the people in my office don't know who ANY of them are as my office has a lot of OU, UT and various Pac 10 fans.

If what you are looking for is the "respect" around the water cooler by Big XII fans, it is not going to happen soon. They don't give respect to the bottom six of the Big XII!

Maybe if one of us would build an 18,000 seat domed stadium or play some of our home games in another state on another schools field we would finally be recognized as major programs.

Not to be contrary, but isn't FAU doing that this year against Michigan State in Detroit?

But it was originally scheduled to be the opener for FAU's new stadium which was supposed to open in 2010 and now likely won't have final approval until September because the state changes the rules on them every time they bring a finance plan in for approval.

Funny, as they stramble to get out of the WAC, they wonder why NT doesn't want to join them. Many La Tech fans continue to have delusions as they slowly circle the bowl. Reading their comments, you would never guess that they won only one more fb division game than NT last year.

Edited by GrandGreen

Television exposure.

The TV exposure (times Central)

UTAH STATE

Friday 7:00 pm BYU ESPN(one of two chances for ESPN to show BYU)

IDAHO

Saturday 9:30 pm UNLV ESPNU(one of two chances for ESPN to show UNLV)

Friday 8:00 pm Boise ESPN2

SAN JOSE STATE

11:00 am @Wisconsin ESPN(under Big 10 contract same as ASU at Iowa last year)

NEW MEXICO STATE

NONE

ARKANSAS STATE

Tuesday 6:00 pm Middle Tenn ESPN2

Saturday 2:30 pm @Navy CBS-C

Saturday 11:00 am @Indiana (network to be determined)

LOUISIANA

Friday Oklahoma State 8:00 pm ESPN2

MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE

Thursday Minnesota 6:30 ESPNU

Tuesday Troy 7:00 pm ESPN

Tuesday 6:00 pm @Arkansas State ESPN2

ULM

None

2009 TV Exposure

Fresno

ESPN/ESPN2 vs Wisconsin and Boise

ESPNU vs Idaho

Gameplan 3 appearances

Nevada

ESPN/ESPN2 vs Missouri, LA Tech, SJSU, and Boise

ESPNU vs NMSU

Gameplan 4 appearances

La Tech

ESPN/ESPN2 vs Hawaii, Nevada, and Boise

ESPNU vs Auburn, LSU

Gameplan 3 appearances

Hawaii

ESPN/ESPN2 vs LA Tech, Nevada, and Navy

ESPNU vs Navy

Gameplan 3 appearances

Idaho

ESPN/ESPN2 None

ESPNU vs Fresno

Gamplan 4 appearances

NMSU

ESPN/ESPN2 None

ESPNU vs Nevada, Fresno

Gameplan 4 appearances

SJSU

ESPN/ESPN2 vs Nevada

ESPNU vs Utah

Gameplan 4 appearances

Utah State

ESPN/ESPN2 vs Boise

ESPNU None

Gameplan 4 appearances

2010 TV Exposure

Thursday, September 2nd Hawaii vs USC 10pm Central ESPN

Saturday, September 4th Fresno vs Cinn 9 pm Central ESPN2

Monday, September 6th Boise vs VA Tech 7 pm Central ESPN

Saturday, September 11th Wisconsin vs SJSU 11 am Central ESPN

Nevada vs Colo St 9:30 pm Cent ESPNU

Friday, September 17th Nevada vs Cal 9:00 pm Cent ESPN2

Saturday, September 18th Wyoming vs Boise 7:00 pm Cent CBS-C

LA Tech vs Navy 6:00 pm Cent ESPN3

Idaho vs UNLV 9:30 pm Cent ESPNU

Saturday, September 25th BYU vs Nevada 6:00 pm Cent Mountain

Boise vs Oregon St TBA ESPN/ESPN2

Friday, October 1st Utah State vs BYU 8:00 pm Cent ESPN

Saturday, October 2nd UNLV vs Nevada 9:00 pm Cent Mountain

Tuesday, October 26th Boise vs La Tech 7:00 pm Cent ESPN2

Friday, November 12th Idaho vs Boise 8:00 pm Cent ESPN2

Friday, November 19th Boise vs Fresno 8:30 pm Cent ESPN2

Friday, November 26th Nevada vs Boise 9:15 pm Cent ESPN2

Friday, December 3rd Fresno vs Illinois 9:15 pm Cent ESPN2

2010 TV Exposure

Thursday, September 2nd Hawaii vs USC 10pm Central ESPN

Saturday, September 4th Fresno vs Cinn 9 pm Central ESPN2

Monday, September 6th Boise vs VA Tech 7 pm Central ESPN

Saturday, September 11th Wisconsin vs SJSU 11 am Central ESPN

Nevada vs Colo St 9:30 pm Cent ESPNU

Friday, September 17th Nevada vs Cal 9:00 pm Cent ESPN2

Saturday, September 18th Wyoming vs Boise 7:00 pm Cent CBS-C

LA Tech vs Navy 6:00 pm Cent ESPN3

Idaho vs UNLV 9:30 pm Cent ESPNU

Saturday, September 25th BYU vs Nevada 6:00 pm Cent Mountain

Boise vs Oregon St TBA ESPN/ESPN2

Friday, October 1st Utah State vs BYU 8:00 pm Cent ESPN

Saturday, October 2nd UNLV vs Nevada 9:00 pm Cent Mountain

Tuesday, October 26th Boise vs La Tech 7:00 pm Cent ESPN2

Friday, November 12th Idaho vs Boise 8:00 pm Cent ESPN2

Friday, November 19th Boise vs Fresno 8:30 pm Cent ESPN2

Friday, November 26th Nevada vs Boise 9:15 pm Cent ESPN2

Friday, December 3rd Fresno vs Illinois 9:15 pm Cent ESPN2

The only WAC games I might be interested in watching are Boise/Oregon State and Boise/Va Tech. The rest ... not-so-much. Also, 9:00 PM (or later) Central kick-offs? On a Friday? Really?!

Something interesting to point out , Boise is in 7 of 18 TV appearances. The WAC is losing a pretty good draw, so who is going to take up the slack? I don't blame ESPN for renegotiating the TV contract as none of the other teams have near the national interest that Boise currently enjoys. I think it will be interesting to see how many appearances the WAC will have in 2011 compared to 2010.

2009 TV Exposure

Idaho

ESPN/ESPN2 None

ESPNU vs Fresno

Gamplan 4 appearances

NMSU

ESPN/ESPN2 None

ESPNU vs Nevada, Fresno

Gameplan 4 appearances

SJSU

ESPN/ESPN2 vs Nevada

ESPNU vs Utah

Gameplan 4 appearances

Utah State

ESPN/ESPN2 vs Boise

ESPNU None

Gameplan 4 appearances

Keeping to discussing the schools asked about.

ARKANSAS STATE

ESPN/ESPN2 2 appearances

Comcast/Cox Sports + ESPN3 1 appearance

Comcast/Cox Sports + ESPN3 + GamePlan 2 appearances

ESPN3 + GamePlan 1 appearance

LOUISIANA

ESPN/ESPN1 none

ESPNU 1 appearance

ULM

ESPN/ESPN2 1 appearance

Comcast/Cox Sports 1 appearance

Fox Sports 1 appearance

MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE

ESPN/ESPN2 1 appearance (not counting New Orleans Bowl)

ESPNU 1 appearance

Comcast/Cox Sports + ESPN3 + GamePlan 4 appearances

ESPN3 + GamePlan 2 appearances

If ASU and MTSU were to get coverage like NMSU, SJSU, Idaho, Utah State, they would LOSE TV appearances.

The only WAC games I might be interested in watching are Boise/Oregon State and Boise/Va Tech. The rest ... not-so-much. Also, 9:00 PM (or later) Central kick-offs? On a Friday? Really?!

9:00 pm central kickoffs on Friday. Yes. I go to my sons football game, get home and SURPRISE - MORE Football!

I don't miss the majority of the game and still get to enjoy high school football. Of course in Texas, especially in Houston and Dallas, there are as many Saturday high school football games as there are Fridays.

Keeping to discussing the schools asked about.

ARKANSAS STATE

ESPN/ESPN2 2 appearances

Comcast/Cox Sports + ESPN3 + GamePlan 2 appearances

LOUISIANA

ESPN/ESPN1 none

ESPNU 1 appearance

ULM

ESPN/ESPN2 1 appearance

Comcast/Cox Sports 1 appearance

Fox Sports 1 appearance

MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE

ESPN/ESPN2 1 appearance (not counting New Orleans Bowl)

ESPNU 1 appearance

Comcast/Cox Sports + ESPN3 + GamePlan 4 appearances

ESPN3 + GamePlan 2 appearances

If ASU and MTSU were to get coverage like NMSU, SJSU, Idaho, Utah State, they would LOSE TV appearances.

I do not have regional television schedule, but at least none of us have the TV schedule of ULM in 2010. That would cut everyones appearances.

The worst schedule last year had 5 appearances on television, without counting any comcast or other regional broadcasts.

If the Belt continues to get games on television, especially the ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU and win some OOC games then the prestige will rise.

I do not have regional television schedule, but at least none of us have the TV schedule of ULM in 2010. That would cut everyones appearances.

The worst schedule last year had 5 appearances on television, without counting any comcast or other regional broadcasts.

If the Belt continues to get games on television, especially the ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU and win some OOC games then the prestige will rise.

Might want to look at NMSU again. At least ULM got an ESPN2 appearance last year.

ESPNU reaches about 1.5X as many homes as the Sun Belt Network (I list it as Comcast/Cox but also includes Brighthouse in Florida, as well as Charter and Time-Warner in Texas and WKYU in Kentucky) but the coverage footprint of the SBN is our recruiting footprint while ESPNU is in a lot of households we don't recruit in places like NY, Chicago, and Fargo, North Dakota.

Our ESPN contract requires that SBN games be made available to ESPN3 and GamePlan/FullCourt subject to blackout within our footprint, so given a choice I really like our deal over ESPNU and with the FCC repealing terrestial loophole CSS will start being available to other cable providers and satellite maybe as early as this year but probably 2011. Right now Cox Sports is on Dish but only within the New Orleans Hornets protected territory so they probably go live nationally before CSS because that merely requires a reprogram of the boxes.