Students Sent Home For Wearing Us Flag T-Shirts To School

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July.

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July.

Only in CA and in the Bay Area no less. Let them secede and go south for all I care.

Well, kids aren't in school on Fourth of July, even if they are in summer school. And yes, I have seen Mexican flags in neighborhoods and even business flagpoles on the Fourth of July. Go to the Mexican consulate office on I-35 on the 4th and I guarantee there will be a Mexican flag flying.

I also wouldn't fly an American flag on May Day in Moscow. But here's the difference... THIS IS AMERICA. This is the country where that flag flies, and if it offends your Mexican Heritage, tough. You are the foreigner here.

Just amazing to me, do people realize this is the USA.

Other nation's political holidays are nothing to us. If they mean so much to them go back, for Christ's sake. I have spent a good amount of time in Mexico and Cinco De Mayo is hardly a holiday there at all, their big political holiday is September 16th, the Mexican Independence day. So why do we give a shit here? Really no other political holidays from other nations get carried here. I hope the school gets sued back to the stone-age.

More reason to get behind AZ and their commitment to enforce the immigration laws.

The wussification of America continues.

And the loss of pride in our once great country continues. It's a sad day when you can't display the flag of your country for fear of offending someone when you are in your home country.

Where does it say those offended weren't?

Also, I really think we're burying the lead her...one of the kid's last name is Fagerstrom? Isn't that like a Norwegian slur?

Born here or not if a person is offended by a Nations flag they are living they should be looking to move to another country period.

This just saddens me. It is almost beyond comprehension.

Yes, it saddens me too. However, when you understand the mindset that is being instilled in the heads of young Mexican-Americans and the ever-growing rumblings of "reconquista," it's not hard to comprehend why this is occurring. What is hard to comprehend is why we (as US citizens) are allowing it to occur, and almost without any resistance whatsoever.

Being proud of your heritage is fine, but being offended by the sight of the flag of the country in which you live is unacceptable.

I'm actually glad that these type of events seem to be occurring more often though. Hopefully, it will make people wake and up and take notice to what is happening and...finally...do something about it.

What I love so much about America is that it is a melting pot of cultures and people that have come together as one. I remember growing up and having many friends from many different backgrounds. When I would visit my friends at their homes, I would be introduced to new kinds of foods and cultural traditions. But, when we were at school, we were all pretty much the same. No one from a different culture than mine ever tried to force their culture, religion or traditions onto me. That's not happening any more. We are being forced to accept a culture that is not ours and anytime people are forced into doing something there is going to be backlash.

I was channel surfing last night and came across a program on ID (International Discovery) called "I (Almost) Got Away with It." It held my attention for a while. During a commercial break, I noticed an ID ad for "Cinco de Mayo Marathon" and after watching a couple of back-to-back episodes of IAGAWI, realized the common theme in the program was escaped convicts (mostly violent) fleeing to, and finding refuge in Mexico. Most of the incidents occurred after 2001, so it was even more incredible to learn that these escaped convicts, who were being pursued by US Marshals, were able to cross over and then back into the US (through major border crossings) without being detected. One, in particular, really caught my attention because it involved the Mexican Immigration Office. A wanted murderer had been living in Mexico for 9-10 years and the FBI had finally tracked him to a small town in Mexico. Instead of notifying the Mexican government that he was a murderer, they informed them he had overstayed his visa and asked Mexican immigration officers to stake out a Western Union. Upon the man's arrival to the Western Union and confirmed ID by the cashier, three Mexican immigration authorities proceeded to apprehend, by force, the man they wanted for overstaying his visa. Just outside the entrance, two more Mexican immigration officers, with AK47s ready, awaited to assist. The narrator of the program made it very clear the Mexican government had no knowledge of the crime the wanted man was accused of, just that he had overstayed his visa. Now, maybe the writers of the show didn't portray all the facts exactly as they happened but I can guarantee there is no way in hell ICE would show up with a SWAT team to apprehend a suspected illegal immigrant (with no other cause for suspicion) in the US. And, if they did, protests from every civil rights group in the country would be plastered all over the news.

• Upvote 2

--- I find it extremely odd that Hispanics here celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It is pretty much ignored in Mexico since it is just an anniversary of a battle against the French in 1862. I do understand some celebrating 16th of September which is really their Independence Day from Spain and is actually meaningful to Texas, and California as well. At that point we became part of Mexico instead of a Spanish territory.

---Cinco de Mayo for many of them is just an excuse to party and most have no idea what it means. I have asked them, most say Mexican Independence Day, which it isn't.

---The Flag incident seems very disgusting.. However, maybe it was not as reported, some schools will not allow any T-shirts to be worn and require shirts with collars ... maybe the fact that a flag was on it was not the point. I hope so. I have had kids in class claim I was anti-Christian when I asked them to put their book up (Bible) and get busy on their assignment. Some people tend to twist the facts, but even then sending them home seems a bit extreme unless they were trying to be disruptive about it. Their conduct would have been the issue, not the US flag on the shirt.

---If it was just about wearing a picture of a US Flag... then it is shameful.... that is the flag of THIS country, which is always acceptable.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 2

This once great nation of ours is reaching a boiling point, and soon will be tipping over. We are losing our country. Look at Arizona. All they are trying to do is protect their borders because the freaking government won't do it. Not under the Clinton Administration, not under the Bush Administration, and, so far, not under the Obama Administration. When people can come over the U.S. border and kill U.S. Citizens, something is terribly wrong. Our government is not upholding the rules of law for the "legal" citizens of our country. The President's job is to protect U.S. citizens. So far, Obama is failing.

Everything that is happening is disturbing and disgusting to me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

--- I find it extremely odd that Hispanics here celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It is pretty much ignored in Mexico since it is just an anniversary of a battle against the French in 1862. I do understand some celebrating 16th of September which is really their Independence Day from Spain and is actually meaningful to Texas, and California as well. At that point we became part of Mexico instead of a Spanish territory.

---Cinco de Mayo for many of them is just an excuse to party and most have no idea what it means. I have asked them, most say Mexican Independence Day, which it isn't.

---The Flag incident seems very disgusting.. However, maybe it was not as reported, some schools will not allow any T-shirts to be worn and require shirts with collars ... maybe the fact that a flag was on it was not the point. I hope so. I have had kids in class claim I was anti-Christian when I asked them to put their book up (Bible) and get busy on their assignment. Some people tend to twist the facts, but even then sending them home seems a bit extreme unless they were trying to be disruptive about it. Their conduct would have been the issue, not the US flag on the shirt.

---If it was just about wearing a picture of a US Flag... then it is shameful.... that is the flag of THIS country, which is always acceptable.

I am amazed but I have to admit I agreed with and enjoyed every bit of your post 66. I guess it is bound to happen every couple of years. I really enjoy that some others actually understand that Cinco De Mayo is not much if any of a celebrated holiday in Mexico, other then just a date to remember. It is the equivalent of something like our Armistice Day.

• Upvote 1

I am amazed but I have to admit I agreed with and enjoyed every bit of your post 66. I guess it is bound to happen every couple of years. I really enjoy that some others actually understand that Cinco De Mayo is not much if any of a celebrated holiday in Mexico, other then just a date to remember. It is the equivalent of something like our Armistice Day.

Cinco de Mayo is nothing more than a marketing ploy to sell Mexican-related products in America, likely based on the success of St. Patrick's Day. I don't recall exactly which advertiser first decided to promote Cinco de Mayo, but I know that Corona has been on board for a LONG time. With Corona's promotions, bars and Mexican restaurants quickly took advantage to create an event that would result in sales increases. From there, it just swelled in popularity...grocery stores jumped on board with Corona, avocado and Tostitos sales, etc. It has no more historical significance in Mexico than many other days, yet the Mexican-Americans, as well as most of the general population in America, have embraced Cinco de Mayo as a Mexican-Heritage day even though hardly anyone knows the meaning of the date. The quote I posted by the HS student incorrectly proclaiming Cinco de Mayo is "Mexican Heritage Day" is proof of this.

I have no doubt that if the marketing/advertising industry (of which I belong) could find a way to turn Armistice Day into a major promotional event, they would.

My mother is a middle-school teacher in the DFW area and had similar problems at her school on Cinco de Mayo. She said the kids of Mexican origin brought Mexican flags to school as well as face-painting and clothing depicting the Mexican flag. Sometime during the day (I think it was during lunch) when all the kids were together, several of the kids began chanting, "Mexico, Mexico, Mexico!" and waving their flags in the faces of some of the African-American kids. Well, the African-American kids didn't appreciate this and began taking the Mexico flags, throwing them on the ground and stomping on them. Several fights broke out and the police were called. Now, I ask you, who is being incendiary???

Cinco De Mayo is big in Puebla.

Basically it's the equivilant of Patriots Day to Massachussetts. Goto Boston during Patriots Day and it's a big deal. People get off from work, banks close, the post office isn't open, etc..

Who else celebrates that day? Nobody else. I didn't even know it existed until about 10 years ago.

It is the Mexican students right to wave whatever flag they want, but if they feel more allegiance to the Mexican flag, than the American flag, I would just rather them leave. People that come here just to take all they can from this country without ever returning the favor with their allegiance piss me off beyone belief.

When the United States soccer team plays Mexico ALMOST anywhere in the US, it is an away game for the Americans. It is rediculous. It may be "just soccer", but with how much it means in their culture, it shows a great disrespect for the country that gives them so much. On top of that American fans get taunted and disrespected for rooting for their team in the OWN country. It may seem off topic, but its just another instance of this sort of thing in CA.

• Upvote 1

When the United States soccer team plays Mexico ALMOST anywhere in the US, it is an away game for the Americans.

I went to the friendly between the U.S. & Guatemala at PHP in 2007. I think your observation goes for all Central American countries.

Before this game, I would stand silently with my hand over my heart while the Star-Spangled Banner played, like most people do. After hearing the Guatemalans in the crowd sing their anthem, I sang ours as loud as I could, and I still sing it loud to this day every time it's played.

One thing I always hated about school was the stupid policies. It's run by paranoid stupids that make knee-jerk decisions.

As far as being incendiary: having been an instigator my whole life, I know how to push people's buttons then pretend I was completely innocent.

Now, seems to me like these whites were staging a mini-protest. An admin was like "aah crap. these dudes are gonna get in a fight when someone sees them rocking Flag shirts"

whatever. it was dumb to try to make them change, no matter if I am guessing right.

And whoever said that 'we wouldn't do that on July 4th' and 'its mexican heritage day' and the admin that said 'gotta be sensitive to mexican-americans' are all dumb and do not reflect the views of This Mescan nor This American.

Also, just for the record: the problem i have with the anti-illegal immigrant thing is that it allows for anti-brown people feelings to emerge unhinged. That, and stupid stuff like people comparing our very different, unique situation to other countries including Mexico, or when people like to make blanket statements, assume that all people think the same because one person spoke out. (SEE?! That one Brown kid mentioned how he loves MEXICO! THEY ALL DO!! SEE?!)

Dude, Mexico is corrupt. Let's not model our immigration policies after a corrupt government, alright? Balancing safety and charity is a delicate task that requires reasoned, passionate thinking about a topic that is emotionally charged. Unfortunately, we americans R 2 dum 2 do it wif out doin somefin stooopit.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2