How Will Dodge's Team Look In 2010?

Harry

I don't doubt the talent on the team, my concern is the use of the talent, construction of a sound game plan, and the execution of said plan. I feel the talent has increased tremendously with Dodge, but talent alone won't get us wins. We have to plan for success, and so far I haven't seen it.

My expectation of this year is to continue doing the same thing but expecting different results. For instance, in a 3rd and 1, I still see us failing to line up under center and somehow failing to get a 1st down.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I don't doubt the talent on the team, my concern is the use of the talent, construction of a sound game plan, and the execution of said plan. I feel the talent has increased tremendously with Dodge, but talent alone won't get us wins. We have to plan for success, and so far I haven't seen it.

My expectation of this year is to continue doing the same thing but expecting different results. For instance, in a 3rd and 1, I still see us failing to line up under center and somehow failing to get a 1st down.

While I think this is a good post and very true the purpose of my article was to discuss how we see the starting lineup looking. So, I am going to have to give you a negative reputation point to teach you a lesson.

;-) Just kidding you got a +1 from me for a quality post!

I'm picking Jeremy Phillips over Herron. Sure he was highly recruited out of high school , but if June Jones couldn't even find a roster spot for him at good ole SMU then I find it hard to believe that he just steps on the field and starts for us.

I hear you, it was hard to leave Phillips off of that list but man I keep hearing crazy stuff about Herron. About how he is impossible to block and his speed. That is why I felt he needed to be on the list. I think the battle for those OLB spots will be fierce. The only given to me at linebacker is Robertson.

LB's right now looks like the toughest to pick. We've got a couple of good JUCO recruits, and I especially like Brad Graham. But JUCOs rarely step in and contribute right away. I agree with NT03 on Phillips. He really showed a nose for the ball, and with another season of Charr, he ought to be ready to go in the fall. We've also got Penson, and wasn't it John Shorter who moved up to LB at the end of the year?

WRs are the 2nd toughest, even though it seems like a no-brainer. Last year at fall camp, everyone was talking about Desmond Brigham and Chris Brainard. If either of them ever saw the field, it wasn't much. I'd have a hard time leaving Darius out of my starting lineup. I'd probably swap Darius for Outlaw in your starting lineup, but otherwise leave it the same.

T – Esteban Santiago (senior) 6-3 - 296

G – Coleman Feely (junior) 6-4 - 305

C – JJ Johnson (junior) 6-3 - 283

G – Kelvin Drake (senior) 6-2 - 280

T – Victor Gill (senior) 6-4 - 261

The O-line seemed pretty solid last year - our most experienced area in terms of starters for 2010.

In every game I watched and attended last year, our offensive problems (aside from turnovers) seemed to be throwing the deep ball and moving the ball in short yardage situations.

Has either of those been addressed in the offseason?

I guess we can also finally kill the "this team is young excuse" with the majority of the guesstimated starters being upperclassmen.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 2

Whoever gave me a -1 doesn't have a grasp on our coaching shortfalls.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Good selections, I think some positions that maybe different are:

WR: I don't see anyone beating Carey or Jackson out of the starting lineup. I think the competition will be between Stradford, Cole, Outlaw and Lewis for the other two positions. Cole is an extraordinary talent if he is healthy. Stradford is a great physical specimen but didn't display great hands in the spring. Lewis, I thought was not thrown to enough last year. Outlaw was inconsistent but has a good year of experience. For starting day lineup I project Carey, Jackson, Outlaw and Lewis; the same as last year, but Cole and Stradford could move up quickly.

OL: The four returning last year starters Gill, Santiago, Johnson and Drake will all start. I think the other guard position will be a battle between Tomlinson and Feeley with the edge to Tomlinson. Tomlinson started several games at tackle last year and I think he could easily move inside. Although Freeley started his freshman year, he did not get much if any playing time last year.

DE: Obi and Akpunka could start just because there does not seem to be any alternates. However, I am going to go with Weber over Akpunka; hoping he is quick enough to play de in this defense. I really don't like two small defensive ends against most offenses.

DT: Defensive tackles could be any of Atkisson, Jackson, Cantly, Desoto, Ross or White and perhaps even Weber or Anyiam. My projected is Cantly and Atkisson. Atkisson played ok last year and hopefully can up his game this year, Cantly has the most upside of any of the tackles.

LB: I completely agree only Robertson is a near sure thing. There will be dogfight between Johnson, Graham, Penson, and Phillips for the other positions. Currently only Penson of the four has middle linebacker experience but I look for either Graham or Johnson to be moved to that position and the starting lineup to be Johnson, Graham, and Robertson.

S: I look for Hughes to start with Smith.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Regarding the projected starting lineup:

looks good for now, but... as we all know each season, for various reasons (grades, injury, performance, lack of, etc.), players move into and out of the starting lineup after spring and fall. I expect no less than 4 of your projected staters to be replaced by others. Who and By who? Nobody knows yet at this point...the point being it's all just statistics, and stats say things will happen before Sept.1.

As for the team performance:

A fast start to the season's W/L record is a must. While a loss to Clemson in the opener is next to a given, a blowout would hurt. It can't derail confindence this team will need if it is to amass 5 to 7 wins. Expected losses would be to Clemson, Troy, Army, Muts, and Kansas State. Toss ups would be to Rice, ASU and FAU. Probable wins against WKU, ULM, ULL, FIU. 6-6 would be do-able and well-earned. Anything less must be evaluated on merit.

• Upvote 1

Grandgreen, I don't think that there's anyway you see Cole and Stratdord on the sidelines come the first play of next season. Cole was rated the same as Dez Bryant coming out of high school, same class. He will be an absolute beast and can't wait to see him in spring ball.

If Cole is 100%, I have no doubt you are right. He was one of the most exciting offensive players I have ever seen in high school. As far as Stradford, he would have been a starter if he had been ruled eligible last year, so you may be correct. However, based on the spring game and a few pre-season practices; I question his hands. I though he missed too many balls that he should have caught.

Over the years, NT has not got a lot of big name transfers, however there were a few of the bluest of blue chips comming out of high school that utimately ended up at NT. Anothey Bridges, Reggie Finch and J.C. Hollins were all highly lauded and none really turned into stars for the Green. I hope Stratford, Cole and the others really excel but it is far from a sure thing.

• Upvote 5

My only real qualm is at DE. In my opinion, if AK-47 is anything more than a dedicated pass-rusher our defense is in big time trouble again.

I wouldn't even venture to forecast WR and LB with as many unknowns in the mix.

It's probably pie in the sky, but I'd sure love someone to show up and steal Santiago, Feeley, or Gill's job. I know many saw the o-line as major bright spot last season, but I saw it as a unit that was completely overwhelmed at times against teams with even average defensive fronts. Had the QB they were protecting not been so overly shifty and fleet of foot their sack numbers would have been vastly different.

• Upvote 4

I would open up all positions in the spring. The experience we have is false. UNT 3-21 the last 2 years, our experience is knowing how to lose. If these guys want to start, (that you have listed), Then, they need to pay the price in the off season and earn thier jobs. Basically,these players have not done the job. Dunbar and Carey I feel are the only players that proved by thier game performance last season.

Sorry posters, it is a fact. Play the players that would put it all on the line everyday and you will win. If you miss the spring, you become second team.

Edited by greenblooded43
  • Upvote 6

Regarding the projected starting lineup:

looks good for now, but... as we all know each season, for various reasons (grades, injury, performance, lack of, etc.), players move into and out of the starting lineup after spring and fall. I expect no less than 4 of your projected staters to be replaced by others. Who and By who? Nobody knows yet at this point...the point being it's all just statistics, and stats say things will happen before Sept.1.

As for the team performance:

A fast start to the season's W/L record is a must. While a loss to Clemson in the opener is next to a given, a blowout would hurt. It can't derail confindence this team will need if it is to amass 5 to 7 wins. Expected losses would be to Clemson, Troy, Army, Muts, and Kansas State. Toss ups would be to Rice, ASU and FAU. Probable wins against WKU, ULM, ULL, FIU. 6-6 would be do-able and well-earned. Anything less must be evaluated on merit.

I would open up all positions in the spring. The experience we have is false. UNT 3-21 the last 2 years, our experience is knowing how to lose. If these guys want to start, (that you have listed), Then, they need to pay the price in the off season and earn thier jobs. Basically,these players have not done the job. Dunbar and Carey I feel are the only players that proved by thier game performance last season.

Sorry posters, it is a fact. Play the players that would put it all on the line everyday and you will win. If you miss the spring, you become second team.

This

My only real qualm is at DE. In my opinion, if AK-47 is anything more than a dedicated pass-rusher our defense is in big time trouble again.

I wouldn't even venture to forecast WR and LB with as many unknowns in the mix.

It's probably pie in the sky, but I'd sure love someone to show up and steal Santiago, Feeley, or Gill's job. I know many saw the o-line as major bright spot last season, but I saw it as a unit that was completely overwhelmed at times against teams with even average defensive fronts. Had the QB they were protecting not been so overly shifty and fleet of foot their sack numbers would have been vastly different.

+1 Very insightful. I agree, and another poster pointed out win you are 3-21 or whatever you really don't have any business stating that any jobs are secure. You could also argue that this team could have won another 3-4 games last season.