How Will Dodge's Team Look In 2010?

Harry

I would open up all positions in the spring. The experience we have is false. UNT 3-21 the last 2 years, our experience is knowing how to lose. If these guys want to start, (that you have listed), Then, they need to pay the price in the off season and earn thier jobs. Basically,these players have not done the job. Dunbar and Carey I feel are the only players that proved by thier game performance last season.

Sorry posters, it is a fact. Play the players that would put it all on the line everyday and you will win. If you miss the spring, you become second team.

well said and i hope this is what's communicated to the team right now. this team REQUIRES depth and the best way to build that is to make sure those who will end up riding the bench and filling special teams roles spend time in the weight room and practice field with the expectation that they can win a starting spot. maybe in-game experience can factor into a close race but few players have excelled enough to earn off-season security.

Guest GrayEagleOne

NT80 is right; there will likely be a change or three that we don't know about now.

On the offensive side my only change would be to pick Carey over Outlaw. The defense is much more complicated.

I would hope that we don't have two watch fob defensive ends. I'd rather have a power rusher on the strong side; either Anyiam or Weber. At linebacker I don't see Herron starting. I'm not even certain about Johnson. Phillips seemed to get better as the season progressed and he gained more confidence. Graham is such a ball of fire I don't think that he can be kept out of the starting lineup. This position is rapidly becoming a strength. To the forementioned add Penson and Prior and you should be able to find a starting lineup unless Orr breaks through as a true freshman. For my money I'd move Ira Smith to corner, pair him with Royce Hill and have Hughes and Hill play the safeties.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would open up all positions in the spring. The experience we have is false. UNT 3-21 the last 2 years, our experience is knowing how to lose. If these guys want to start, (that you have listed), Then, they need to pay the price in the off season and earn thier jobs. Basically,these players have not done the job. Dunbar and Carey I feel are the only players that proved by thier game performance last season.

Sorry posters, it is a fact. Play the players that would put it all on the line everyday and you will win. If you miss the spring, you become second team.

Hey lets not forget Outlaw. If it was not for a few dropped passes in the endzone, some loses could have been wins.

I think the players have earned the right to be on the field. But it is hard to become great when you are only allowed to run 5 yards then head for the sideline. I think the player development starts with better play calling.

Since most of the offense is back and there are few new additions, this would seem like an easy call. Except we are told that we will use a tight end more. The question is how will he be used...blocker or receiver? I am going to make an assumption that the TE will be a decent blocker who is a good receiver. On that basis my starting offense is:

QB Dodge

RB Dunbar

WR Jamaal Jackson

WR Carey

WR Stradford

TE Fitzpatrick

OT Gill

OG Drake

C J. Johnson

OG Feeley

OT Santiago

The defense is much harder to predict even though there were only 2 1/2 starters lost.

(Even though Nwigwe went down about mid-season, I still consider him a starter. I should even add Kylie Hill, another starter who went down before the season ended).

DE Obi

DT Atkinson

DT K. Jackson

DE Anyiam

LB Graham

LB Penson

LB Robertson

CB Hill

CB Ford

FS Cook

SS Hughes

There are a number of quality players that could possibly start on defense...Akpunku at WDE, Miller at SDE, Cantly at DT, Phillips or F. Johnson at OLB, Wood at corner and Smith at either corner or safety. I'm a big Zach Orr fan and it wouldn't surprise me to see the big freshman starting at middle linebacker before the season is over.

The competition is so close that I don't see anyone, even Robertson, with a lock on a starting position.

Edited by GrayEagle

If the Clemson game was Saturday, this would be my prediction on the depth chart (not that all of these would travel):

QB

Riley Dodge

Derek Thompson

RB

Lance Dunbar

James Hamilton

FB

Micah Mosley

Jeremi Mathis

WR

Tyler Stratford

Darius Carey

Jamaal Jackson

Chris Bynes

Michael Outlaw

B.J. Lewis

TE

Jamize Olawale

Draylen Ross

OL

Victor Gill

Kelvin Drake

J.J. Johnson

Esteban Santiago

Coleman Feeley

Matt Tomlinson

Jeremy Bean

K

Zachary Olen

Trent Deans

DE

Michael Miller

KC Obi

John Weber

Brandon Akpunku

Aaron Bellazin

DT

Kelvin Jackson

Shavod Atkinson

Tevinn Cantly

Kyle White

LaChris Anyiam

OLB

Craig Robertson

Julian Herron

Forlando Johnson

Jeremy Phillips

Daniel Prior

MLB

Brad Graham

Zach Orr

A.J. Penson

CB

Royce Hill

DeAndre Wood

DeLeon McCord

Ira Smith

Hilbert Jackson

S

DeWaylon Cook

Jamison Hughes

Stephen Ford

Ryan Downing

P

Will Atterberry

Zach Olen

KR

Darius Carey

Tyler Stratford

Royce Hill

PR

Darius Carey

Royce Hill

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 2

If the Clemson game was Saturday, this would be my prediction on the depth chart (not that all of these would travel):

QB

Riley Dodge

Derek Thompson

RB

Lance Dunbar

James Hamilton

FB

Micah Mosley

Jeremi Mathis

WR

Tyler Stratford

Darius Carey

Jamaal Jackson

Chris Bynes

Michael Outlaw

B.J. Lewis

TE

Jamize Olawale

Draylen Ross

OL

Victor Gill

Kelvin Drake

J.J. Johnson

Esteban Santiago

Coleman Feeley

Matt Tomlinson

Jeremy Bean

K

Zachary Olen

Trent Deans

DE

Michael Miller

KC Obi

John Weber

Brandon Akpunku

Aaron Bellazin

DT

Kelvin Jackson

Shavod Atkinson

Tevinn Cantly

Kyle White

LaChris Anyiam

OLB

Craig Robertson

Julian Herron

Forlando Johnson

Jeremy Phillips

Daniel Prior

MLB

Brad Graham

Zach Orr

A.J. Penson

CB

Royce Hill

DeAndre Wood

DeLeon McCord

Ira Smith

Hilbert Jackson

S

DeWaylon Cook

Jamison Hughes

Stephen Ford

Ryan Downing

P

Will Atterberry

Zach Olen

KR

Darius Carey

Tyler Stratford

Royce Hill

PR

Darius Carey

Royce Hill

Don't forget....

Deep Snapper

Troy Kokjohn

I am going with Troy Kokjohn due to experience, prior quality snaps in games for UNT, knowledge of what it takes to play D-1 football having "been there-done that" and due to the fact that he is a walk-on player who is busting his rear to contribute to the team.

I know Blake is on scholarship, but we'll need to see what the product is on the field before anointing him a starter at any position. IMHO, Troy has earned the start by hard work, experience and having done well in games for UNT.

I am going with Troy Kokjohn due to experience, prior quality snaps in games for UNT, knowledge of what it takes to play D-1 football having "been there-done that" and due to the fact that he is a walk-on player who is busting his rear to contribute to the team.

I know Blake is on scholarship, but we'll need to see what the product is on the field before anointing him a starter at any position. IMHO, Troy has earned the start by hard work, experience and having done well in games for UNT.

The Blake Dunham reference was not implying any ill thoughts toward Kokjohn. You have to admire a kid like Kokjohn who busts his rear in so many ways to contribute in a small (albeit imporant) manner on Saturdays. But, that being said I wouldn't count out any of the newcomers either.

• Upvote 1

qb-Dodge

rb-Dunbar

wr-Casey

wr-Jackson

wr-Stradford

te-Olawale

ot-Gill

og-Franklin

c-Johnson

og-Drake

ot-Santiago

de-Obi

dt-Atkisson

dt-Jackson

de-Miller

Lb-Robertson

lb-Johnson

lb-Graham

cb-Hill

s-Hughes

s-Smith

cb-Wood

Second team

qb-Tune

rb-Mathis

wr-Outlaw

wr-Bynes

wr-Lewis

te-Ross

ot-Tomlinson

og-Freeley

c-Fortenberry

og-Flax

ot-Bean

de-Akpunku

dt-Cantly

dt-Anyiam

de-Weber

lb-Prior

lb-Penson

lb-Phillips

cb-McCord

s-Cook

s-Downing

cb-Ford

Assuming not many more personnel loses, this team should have a lot of depth.