Mack Brown Gets $2 Million A Year Raise

SUMG

Obscene, can't fault Brown; but something is sure wrong with universities' priorities. I think the time is coming that college football as it has been will be over. I can't see players continuing to receive scholarships only when this kind of money is being generated by the few monied teams. I keep hoping that the college presidents will unite and put an end to this arms race that is going to eventually completely destroy college sports. Maybe the government instead of worrying about a play off system should instead address the overall lack of competitiveness in the NCAA.

nobody can deny his success so why fault his raise due to his performance? we may not recieve a raise like that in our life time, however, we do expect raises for our performance in our own jobs. so what is the difference? coach brown's success equates to the amount of revenue generated by his program in all facets of the game. does not jerry jones make more money on the assundries that the cowboy's sell rather than ticket and parking sells?

Obscene, can't fault Brown; but something is sure wrong with universities' priorities.

Are you sure it's the "universities' priorities" that are out of whack here? I wonder what salaries would be for athletes, coaches, actors and actresses, etc. if the American public didn't cater to their every whim , follow their every move, give them elite status and swoon in their presence?????? Who's paying the freight for the majority of this? The ticket buying, parking paying, concession eating, team logo items buying, program donating public...that's who. The programs are giving the public what they want...seems to me. I can't blame the university entirely for the rapid escalation of coaching salaries. Just watch what happens now. Lots of coaches around the country owe a debt of gratitude to Mack Brown and the U of Texas as they will see nice salary increases as well...and so it goes....

Obscene, can't fault Brown; but something is sure wrong with universities' priorities. I think the time is coming that college football as it has been will be over. I can't see players continuing to receive scholarships only when this kind of money is being generated by the few monied teams. I keep hoping that the college presidents will unite and put an end to this arms race that is going to eventually completely destroy college sports. Maybe the government instead of worrying about a play off system should instead address the overall lack of competitiveness in the NCAA.

I don't knock him. As vastly overrated as I think UT is most years, and as big of a crock as I think the BCS is nobody can deny that he wins/whines at a very high rate and his salary is a drop in the bucket compared to what he brings in.

Are you sure it's the "universities' priorities" that are out of whack here? I wonder what salaries would be for athletes, coaches, actors and actresses, etc. if the American public didn't cater to their every whim , follow their every move, give them elite status and swoon in their presence?????? Who's paying the freight for the majority of this? The ticket buying, parking paying, concession eating, team logo items buying, program donating public...that's who. The programs are giving the public what they want...seems to me. I can't blame the university entirely for the rapid escalation of coaching salaries. Just watch what happens now. Lots of coaches around the country owe a debt of gratitude to Mack Brown and the U of Texas as they will see nice salary increases as well...and so it goes....

Totally agree. Wait! I need to look outside, and see if the sky is falling! B)

Since Jerry Jones has taken over, I have never owned, or wanted to own, a Dallas Cowboy product. Professional athletes, college coaches, actors/actresses and most CEO's are incredibly overpaid.

I don't knock him. As vastly overrated as I think UT is most years, and as big of a crock as I think the BCS is nobody can deny that he wins/whines at a very high rate and his salary is a drop in the bucket compared to what he brings in.

Whoa!!! Emmitt thinks Mack Brown SHOULD get the money? It's official... the end of the world is coming! His opinion could of waited until 2012 so the Mayan predictions all came true. Leave it to Emmitt to "one up" the Mayans!!!!....hehe

GMG!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Just for a point of reference--Texas' football revenues have more than QUADRUPLED under Mack Brown. In 1997, they brought in $21.3MM. IN 2008, that figured was $87.5MM. I can only imagine that 2009 revenue will be even higher because of success, BCS Championship appearance, and another full year of sold-out DKR.

This is why I really wouldn't mind there being separate divisions for football. No, that doesn't mean we now compete with SFA and Nicholls State again. But it means that if your AD budget is more than $50MM, then you have a separate level of competition than those whose AD budget is between $10MM and 50MM. Take those top 60 teams and put them in the Super League and then take the next 60 and put them in the AAA-version of college football. That would still give us teams to compete with and succeed against that we consider peers. I know that the bigger schools would get most of the attention, but I can argue that they already do. We would all still follow UNT when we play La Tech or Troy or UTEP. If we want to play a game against those teams, then go ahead. I just think that the current definition of Division 1-A is to loose. UT, A&M, OU, and others of that ilk just have way more resources than those of us in the SBC, CUSA, MAC, or the WAC.

The obscenity isn't about Brown making what he can, which he has every right to do. Good for him. No, the obscenity is the fact that the NCAA is allowing universities like tU and Ohio State to spend this kind of money on an entity that is supposed to be based on and promote fair competition. The very fact tU can blow this kind of cash on their coach's salary shows what they are able and willing to spend on everything else, including acilities and recruiting practices.

I don't see why any lower-funded program should even attempt to play tU, osU and the other few programs like them in anything else any more. Especially non AQ conference programs. Just stop scheduling them no matter what the cost be it a shorter season, more home games, fewer ships, whatever it cost. Stop giving them their free wins. tU should have to compete in the professional world, because that is what they are. A vast, money driven professional product. They buy up all the best coaches, they buy up all the top athletes, and they outspend everyone else to hoard every resource they can get their hands on to ensure it stays that way. Last weekend's game and the overall outcome of the bcs dibacle is a prime and perfect example of this.

Rick

Just for a point of reference--Texas' football revenues have more than QUADRUPLED under Mack Brown. In 1997, they brought in $21.3MM. IN 2008, that figured was $87.5MM. I can only imagine that 2009 revenue will be even higher because of success, BCS Championship appearance, and another full year of sold-out DKR.

This is why I really wouldn't mind there being separate divisions for football. No, that doesn't mean we now compete with SFA and Nicholls State again. But it means that if your AD budget is more than $50MM, then you have a separate level of competition than those whose AD budget is between $10MM and 50MM. Take those top 60 teams and put them in the Super League and then take the next 60 and put them in the AAA-version of college football. That would still give us teams to compete with and succeed against that we consider peers. I know that the bigger schools would get most of the attention, but I can argue that they already do. We would all still follow UNT when we play La Tech or Troy or UTEP. If we want to play a game against those teams, then go ahead. I just think that the current definition of Division 1-A is to loose. UT, A&M, OU, and others of that ilk just have way more resources than those of us in the SBC, CUSA, MAC, or the WAC.

A completely true statement if you use a definitive division such as revenues generated by or allocated to athletics. When you get below the top sixty teams you are already in a different division admit it or not. It caught my attention in this morning's DMN that you better be careful what you wish for with a playoff system as BSU and TCU will generate a great deal of $$$$ to the WAC & MWC from the Fiesta Bowl. La Tech can have plenty of its share to allocate to increased travel costs and recruit that they are in a league whose champion has twice played in a big four BCS bowl. Would we have been smarter to have accepted that WAC invite when it was offered? In hindsight it would certainly have put more $$$$ in the AD coffers.

A completely true statement if you use a definitive division such as revenues generated by or allocated to athletics. When you get below the top sixty teams you are already in a different division admit it or not. It caught my attention in this morning's DMN that you better be careful what you wish for with a playoff system as BSU and TCU will generate a great deal of $$$$ to the WAC & MWC from the Fiesta Bowl. La Tech can have plenty of its share to allocate to increased travel costs and recruit that they are in a league whose champion has twice played in a big four BCS bowl. Would we have been smarter to have accepted that WAC invite when it was offered? In hindsight it would certainly have put more $$$$ in the AD coffers.

North Texas will also get a piece of the pie as non-auto bid conferences are essentially one large conference in the BCS' eyes. When one of us gets in, we all get more money. That is on top of our regular payout (hush money) from the BCS that we get just for being a Div I Bowl Div Team. That payout is based on conference ranking and we usually finish towards the bottom with the MAC... last year we got more money than the MAC - this year that will probably be decided after the bowl games.

The obscenity isn't about Brown making what he can, which he has every right to do. Good for him. No, the obscenity is the fact that the NCAA is allowing universities like tU and Ohio State to spend this kind of money on an entity that is supposed to be based on and promote fair competition. The very fact tU can blow this kind of cash on their coach's salary shows what they are able and willing to spend on everything else, including acilities and recruiting practices.

I don't see why any lower-funded program should even attempt to play tU, osU and the other few programs like them in anything else any more. Especially non AQ conference programs. Just stop scheduling them no matter what the cost be it a shorter season, more home games, fewer ships, whatever it cost. Stop giving them their free wins. tU should have to compete in the professional world, because that is what they are. A vast, money driven professional product. They buy up all the best coaches, they buy up all the top athletes, and they outspend everyone else to hoard every resource they can get their hands on to ensure it stays that way. Last weekend's game and the overall outcome of the bcs dibacle is a prime and perfect example of this.

Rick

FFR,

I totally agree with not scheduling these teams. If you are going to get a check, schedule a game against a team like Arkansas or Tech or something like that and then just play 11 games. I just can't imagine how ridiculous a UT fan must feel when they pay $95 to watch the Longhorns play Florida Interntaional. What a colossal waste of time and money most of the time. Sure, Arkansas State might play you close, but then you leave the stadium thinking that your team sucks, not that the visiting team showed lots of heart. Probably serves them right, but when someone gladly spends that much money to watch the lions eat the Christians, you really wonder how much "governance" and "competition" that the NCAA cares about, not to mention the UTs, OUs, LSUs of the world. ust end the farce--let them play against each other and form their own level of play--call it NFL-lite if you want to, because that is all it really is at Alabama, Florida, USC, etc. I know that Boise State and TCU are the outliers here, but they get screwed over anyway, so they all might as well just continue to play in a division of team that they already compete with or get over their AD budgets up tothe Super-level that I speak of.

I think everyone thinks of a newy created division as another i-aa (FCS) deal, but their is MUCH more support for non-AQ teams and even low-level BCS schools that would still create enough interest and support amongst fans and alumni. Imagine Baylor playing TCU, UNT playing UTEP, and La Tech playing ULL in conference games that mean something for either bowl slots, or more preferably, playoff positioning. Let the BCS schools keep those bowl games and the new division can just own December with the interest of a playoff that would create interest and would be much more competitive. We can cry all we want about fairness and that the NCAA/Congress should step in, but that is equivalent to wanting peace on earth. There is just too much money on their side, too many legislators who come from those schools who will not pass meaningful change, and way too much interest from the NCAA to protect the status quo.

I guess it all fits into my belief that getting UNT into a conference/system that would benefit our alumni, programs, and the university would make me thrilled. Meaning simply that being in a conference with teams that are located within Texas and surrounding states and having a system in play to win a national championship would mean so much to me. Where things are right now, we are just about at the opposite end of the spectrum, and I don't believe it will ever change unless a major transformation in how college football is configured occurs.

They buy up all the best coaches, they buy up all the top athletes, and they outspend everyone else to hoard every resource they can get their hands on to ensure it stays that way.

So, how much money did Riley Dodge leave on the table to come here?

When you get below the top sixty teams you are already in a different division admit it or not.

I'm not so sure? At what level of budgeted money would you divide it into, because as of right now you could make 4 or 5 leagues depending on where you want the cut off to be. And if your talking the "TOP" league, your only talking about 4 or 5 teams, maybe a few others?

As of this year, and according to the Office of Postsecondary Education, a branch of the U.S. Dept of Education, Texas has an operating budget of $112 Million. Their mythical national championship opponent Alabama, budgets around $81 Million. That's a large difference in budgets in my oppinion.

Others that would qualify for THIS TOP category that come to mind, although there may be a couple of others?

Ohio State: $102 Million

Florida: $101 Million,

LSU: $100 Million

Tennessee: $92.5 Million

And the rest, and as I said, this is just a few that come to mind, including those of who make up the largest of the bowls this season.

Southern California: $81 Million

Oklahoma: $81 Million

Michigan: $79 Million

Georgia: $76 Million

Penn State: $76 Million

Stanford: $74 Million

Florida State: $73 Million

Iowa: $70 Million

UCLA: $66 Million

Notre Dame: $64 Million(By the way, Notre Dame's total enrollment: 8,337)

Arkansas: $63 Million

Nebraska $62 Million

Oregon: $62 Million

Washington: $60 Million

West Virginia: $53.5 Million

Georgia Tech: $48 Million

TCU: $46 Million

Ole Miss: $41.8 Million

Boise St.:$20.4 Million

Cincinnati: $35 Million

MTSU: $17.2

Troy: $14.3 Million

Ark State: $10.7 Million(Was cheated two years ago in Austin, and when comparing the enormous distance between the two budgets makes the results of that game an even more travesty).

So what are you going to do, have a "Ginormous league", then a "We want to be in the Ginormous league", then "We aint quite the We want to be in the Ginormous league", then "All the rest league"?

It's rediculous the differences in budgets between the 120 schools, then to have the NCAA try and pawn the remaining standing team at the end of the year off as the legitimate champion of all is beyond rediculous.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I'm not so sure? At what level of budgeted money would you divide it into, because as of right now you could make 4 or 5 leagues depending on where you want the cut off to be. And if your talking the "TOP" league, your only talking about 4 or 5 teams, maybe a few others?

As of this year, and according to the Office of Postsecondary Education, a branch of the U.S. Dept of Education, Texas has an operating budget of $112 Million. Their mythical national championship opponent Alabama, budgets around $81 Million. That's a large difference in budgets in my oppinion.

Others that would qualify for THIS TOP category that come to mind, although there may be a couple of others?

Ohio State: $102 Million

Florida: $101 Million,

LSU: $100 Million

Tennessee: $92.5 Million

And the rest, and as I said, this is just a few that come to mind, including those of who make up the largest of the bowls this season.

Southern California: $81 Million

Oklahoma: $81 Million

Michigan: $79 Million

Georgia: $76 Million

Penn State: $76 Million

Stanford: $74 Million

Florida State: $73 Million

Iowa: $70 Million

UCLA: $66 Million

Notre Dame: $64 Million(By the way, Notre Dame's total enrollment: 8,337)

Arkansas: $63 Million

Nebraska $62 Million

Oregon: $62 Million

Washington: $60 Million

West Virginia: $53.5 Million

Georgia Tech: $48 Million

TCU: $46 Million

Ole Miss: $41.8 Million

Boise St.:$20.4 Million

Cincinnati: $35 Million

MTSU: $17.2

Troy: $14.3 Million

Ark State: $10.7 Million(Was cheated two years ago in Austin, and comparing the two budgets, an even more travesty).

So what are you going to do, have a "Ginormous league", then a "We want to be Ginormous league", then "We aint quite the We want to be Ginormous league", then "All the rest league"?

It's rediculous the differences in budgets between the 120 schools, then to have the NCAA try and pawn the remining standing team at the end of the year off as the legitimate champion of all is beyond rediculous.

Rick

What does a school's operating budget have to with the football budget at these schools? That is two different things. MTSU does not spend 17.2 million of football.

What does a school's operating budget have to with the football budget at these schools? That is two different things. MTSU does not spend 17.2 million of football.

Where I put "operating", I meant for it to say just "Grand total budget". The the vast amount of resources programs like OSU or tU uses to recruit a football player are also used to recruit for other sports as well.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick