Recruiting Success/barnhill Story

OldTimer

If I remember correctly someone questioned how successful UNT has been in recruiting citing a newspaper writer..

In the 2008 recruiting season per Rivals...they had NT tops in the metroplex with 100 points, TCU had 75 and SMU had 80

Kenny Barrett

Justin Edwards

Alonzo Horton

How many points were they worth?

How many points did we get for Riley Dodge, and does TD have any other Parade All-Americans in the house who can pump up our recruiting rankings in the years to come?

Also... TCU signed 15 guys. We signed 26. Meanwhile, SMU hired June Jones on January 7th, 2008... Giving him 30 days to put together his entire recruiting class.

So... We edged out a school that signed 11 fewer guys and another that had a month to recruit. And that's with 3 of our top recruits never playing a down for us or even getting to campus. And that's the class that contained the coach's highly ranked son.

Comforting.

If I remember correctly someone questioned how successful UNT has been in recruiting citing a newspaper writer..

In the 2008 recruiting season per Rivals...they had NT tops in the metroplex with 100 points, TCU had 75 and SMU had 80

You like to use Rivals, so let's use Rivals. Using avg stars (to even out the differing number of recruits) Rivals rated our standing in the Sun Belt recruiting classes as follows:

2007 T6th and 7th

2008 3rd

2009 7th (virtual tie for 5th)

And, as TastyGreek pointed out, our 2008 class ratings include highly rated guys who didn't get into school.

Let's use comparison that are statistically comparable.

Adryan Adams DB 2 year Starter

Brandon Akpunku LB Part-time Starter

Kenny Barrett WR Joined the Army

Desmond Brigham WR Not seen the field

Tevinn Cantly DT Part-time Starter

DaWaylon Cook Starter

Riley Dodge ATH Starter

Lance Dunbar RB Starter

Justin Edwards DB DNQ

Coleman Feeley OL 2008 Starter 2009 backup

Troy Franklin OL Backup

James Hamilton ATH Backup

Joe Hawthorne DT Not seen the field ?

Kylee Hill DB 2 year Starter

Royce Hill DB 2 year Starter

Gabe Hollivay OL [2008 Starter 2009 backup/spot starter

Alonzo Horton DE DNQ

Nate Jenkins OL Not seen the field ?

Jeremy Knott K 2 year Starter

Nick Leppo OL Not seen the field ?

Jeremi Mathis RB Backup

Jeremy Phillips QB Starter

Forrest Rucker WR Backup

John Shorter DB 2008 Starter 2009 backup

Willie Taylor ATH Backup

Darien Williams DB 2008 Starter 2009 backup

I call that class Rodge, Dunbar, Royce and nice-solid depth.

WayneBrady.png

Ok Tasty Geek - I mean Greek - you and I are going to throw down. Even the most ignorant NT fan (and that is saying something) should acknowledge the quality of the 08 class. That class, even with the DNQs, was still probably better than any class during the previous 40 years. You can only recruit based on potential and based on that the 2008 class was pretty damn good. Especially for UNT. You can't fault Dodge for not knowing that Edwards and Horton would not pass their last class at CC.

[sNIP!]

Oh, and before you label them all busts: THEY ARE ALL SOPHMORES AND RS FRESHMAN.

That wasn't an indictment of the recruits. Follow along as I read aloud:

Some people are concerned about how we're going to do in landing recruits this year. They point to SMU's early commits and heavy 3 star talent compared to our three 2-stars and one soft 3-star.

Oldtimer vaguely remembers an article that says we had a higher recruiting score than SMU and TCU two years ago. This is supposed to be comforting.

But our "higher score" was against a team that only brought in 15 guys and a team that had barely a month for their coach to move from Hawaii and still land his recruiting class.

And that "higher score" depended in large part upon two 3-star guys who never made it to campus and another 3 star guy who only chose us because his father is the coach (this is not a repeatable recruiting strategy).

Not a shot at the players left in that class. Just an observation that our higher ranked class is an illusion. And even if our guys in 2008 do wind up being better than either TCU's or SMU's... It really isn't relevant to what we're all dealing with and able to accomplish again this year on the recruiting trail.

If you want to talk players, that's a whole different situation than pointing at foggy memories of aggregate recruiting class scores.

In response, Testes Greek, I will point out that the quality of the recruits has of late been questioned by many lately. Some even went as far as to claim that Dickey's classes (or maybe just one or some of them) were even better than our 2008 class. Complete horseshit.

Hey, I hear ya.

My boss can be a real pain in the ass sometimes, and I hate the other drivers on 635.

But do the police have any sympathy when I beat up my girlfriend because of how angry any of those other folks make me? Not so far, they don't.

In response, Testes Greek, I will point out that the quality of the recruits has of late been questioned by many lately. Some even went as far as to claim that Dickey's classes (or maybe just one or some of them) were even better than our 2008 class. Complete horseshit.

Yet, we set the bar with wins with that same group of Dickey players with 2 wins in '07 and watched one of his players set the recieving record a year later.

But none of the recruiting wars are going to matter this year as all bets are off on recruiting High School talent. Considering our football banquet has been moved up to the weekend before national JUCO signing day I suspect we are in full blown panic mode as we go heavy JUCO from here on.

Rick

That wasn't an indictment of the recruits. Follow along as I read aloud:

Some people are concerned about how we're going to do in landing recruits this year. They point to SMU's early commits and heavy 3 star talent compared to our three 2-stars and one soft 3-star.

Oldtimer vaguely remembers an article that says we had a higher recruiting score than SMU and TCU two years ago. This is supposed to be comforting.

But our "higher score" was against a team that only brought in 15 guys and a team that had barely a month for their coach to move from Hawaii and still land his recruiting class.

And that "higher score" depended in large part upon two 3-star guys who never made it to campus and another 3 star guy who only chose us because his father is the coach (this is not a repeatable recruiting strategy).

Not a shot at the players left in that class. Just an observation that our higher ranked class is an illusion. And even if our guys in 2008 do wind up being better than either TCU's or SMU's... It really isn't relevant to what we're all dealing with and able to accomplish again this year on the recruiting trail.

If you want to talk players, that's a whole different situation than pointing at foggy memories of aggregate recruiting class scores.

******************************************************************************************Yes early on I remembered...but I went back and verified my information and posted it in this thread...NT had 100 points, TCU had 75 and SMU had 80.