Moments Of Epic Brain Lock I Can't Begin To Explain.

CaribbeanGreen

Worst in-game coaching I have seen at the collegiate level in my entire life. Period.

Lance Dunbar being essentially ignored - he averaged 10 yds per carry on 13 attempts.

on 3rd and 1, with a chance to essentially ice the game, all the momentum, and Dunbar literally unstoppable -- you run a meek little sweep for Riley, who goes down easily in the backfield and almost fumbles the thing yet again. Dunbar was a decoy.

Immediately after this, you take a TO to debate your next move - makes sense, because you've been unable to recruit even a below adequate kicker in three years - and apparently decide to go for it. You send the offense back out, your QB - and son - begin SCREAMING at you, arms flailing, because they have no clue what to do. YOU CALL ANOTHER TIME OUT. Army players are looking at each other like they can't believe what's happening.

Then, you send out the worst kicker in football, who does exactly what's expected and gets the kick blocked (after just missing yet another PAT).

Earlier in the game, mind you, you got a delay of game penalty COMING OUT OF A TIME OUT. This was the most inept use of three time outs in the history of organized sport.

Then, to compound things, Army is forced to punt w/ 12 seconds to go. Time to rush it, or at least run one more play from decent field position. YOU DON'T BOTHER CATCHING THE PUNT. Army players again look at each other and begin laughing incredulously as the sit around and watch the ball wobble to a stop while the game clock expires.

I've often thought we overrated the talent on this team, but today, I saw things differently. We were better than Army at almost every position, and literally seemed to TRY to give the thing away. Our coach IS Vic Trilli. Period. We talk about wanting to turn things around, learning curves, etc. - but what Pop Warner coach makes the mistakes that Football Trilli made today?

Who can defend the fact that HE CAN'T COACH?!? Have you EVER felt we outcoached somebody? Do you really think there's ANY chance of that happening? Do you not sense the impending doom of seemingly GIVING games away?

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

I'm sick of the "experts" in the stands booing because the coach is making the logical decision to go for it. The ones that were happy he buckled under the pressure and went for the field goal need to first consider two words JEREMY KNOTT!!

This. Mind you, it took two consecutive time outs to come to this lousy decision. Those sure might have come in handy later, eh Vic?

And seriously, how can you not walk into any random freshman PoliSci class in Wooten Hall and not find someone capable of making PATs at a higher clip than Knott?

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

tonight wasn't todge's fault, it was rodge's.....3 ints, 1 fumble! this is becoming normal for him. it sucks that he is such a great scrambler and does wonderful things with his legs, when he doesn't fumble.

Riley has been carrying the football like a loaf of bread since the Spring game. If Todd can't see that and fix that problem or if Riley can't fix it on his own or refuses to change then TD should bench him , those fumbles come back to Todd one way or the other.

tonight wasn't todge's fault, it was rodge's.....3 ints, 1 fumble! this is becoming normal for him. it sucks that he is such a great scrambler and does wonderful things with his legs, when he doesn't fumble.

With this logic, it is NEVER the coaches fault. Anything that happens in the game is squarely on the shoulders of the players. The coach selects the personel, the plays, game management, and game plan. He shouldn't be responsible for everything. Especially when there is a one time occurance. But, good lord, it has become an expectation for every game. Eventually, it falls on the coaches shoulders. After a few years, and same ol' same ol'... it falls on him. I struggle with excuses. This is the easiest schedule we have had in over 10 years.

Rodge hurt tonight, but to the play at hand, 4th and 4 om thier 12, up by 3, 3 minutes left against a running team with 1 timeout, GO FOR IT. Don't call a TO, then have your QB standing on the field with his arms in the air and noone knows what's going on, then to call a 2nd TO, and send out a shaky kicker, only to have the FG blocked. WTF? Either go or kick. Make a decision and do it. If you go or kick and dont get it, you would have had all of you TO's to use on your last drive. I just cant get what is so hard about basic coaching.

Oh, and DR Batille and RV were having a discussion under the Alumni stands after the game. I wish I could have heard that conversation. They didnt look happy.

Rodge hurt tonight, but to the play at hand, 4th and 4 om thier 12, up by 3, 3 minutes left against a running team with 1 timeout, GO FOR IT. Don't call a TO, then have your QB standing on the field with his arms in the air and noone knows what's going on, then to call a 2nd TO, and send out a shaky kicker, only to have the FG blocked. WTF? Either go or kick. Make a decision and do it. If you go or kick and dont get it, you would have had all of you TO's to use on your last drive. I just cant get what is so hard about basic coaching.

Oh, and DR Batille and RV were having a discussion under the Alumni stands after the game. I wish I could have heard that conversation. They didnt look happy.

Gretchen, was probably asking RV more about the game of football and its so called rules. Or asked RV why he signed Dodge to a 5 year contract that they can't afford to break. Please give me a break.

I hope this wasnt their first so called discussion.

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Anita wanted to bet me $10 Riley was going to throw a pick on that drive. I said, "No bet, no bet."

What's funny is my cousin texted me if I thought Riley would bring NT back for the win. I said he'll probably throw a pick. Sure as hell couldn't believe he did right when I sent the reply text.

I can usually keep calm in public. But, I completely lost it after that last interception by Rodge as I stormed out of the stadium. As if the first 9 weeks were not bad enough, these last 2 weeks are simply unbelievable.

The last two weeks we have totally dominated both FIU and Army. Yet, we somehow lost both games due to mistakes at the worst times. We should have killed Army today based on what I saw on the field.

It is completely obvious that Todd Dodge has assembled some pretty good talent here. But, it seems like every critical in-game decision that the coaches have made has backfired.

What do you do if you are Rick and Dr B ? This team is soooo close to being good. Is it the coaching staff ? Is it just horrible luck ? Personally, I would be afraid to make a change when we seem to be on the cusp of something really good. But at the same time, these losses are killing our program right now.

I don't know what to think right now other than rage and anger. What I do know, is that I have never in my lifetime witnessed a sports season (any sport) where a team continuously snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. This season has been completely rediculous.

the problem with our mistakes is the fact that they are predictible....i said before the last pass the riley threw that the game was going to end with a pick....and i was right.

I called both the blocked FG and the last pick before they happened. With a normal team you would be going out on a limb making calls like that in public. With us, you are just playing the percentages, because those are the expected results, not the exception. I would say it was an unbelievable way to lose, but it wasn't. Sadly, it was very believable and not unexpected.

I called both the blocked FG and the last pick before they happened. With a normal team you would be going out on a limb making calls like that in public. With us, you are just playing the percentages, because those are the expected results, not the exception. I would say it was an unbelievable way to lose, but it wasn't. Sadly, it was very believable and not unexpected.

I figured Rodge might throw another pick on the last drive but I never dreamed we would get that field goal blocked.

You can't convince me there isn't a guy or girl for that matter that you couldn't find through an open tryout for someone who can kick an extra point.

I figured Rodge might throw another pick on the last drive but I never dreamed we would get that field goal blocked.

You can't convince me there isn't a guy or girl for that matter that you couldn't find through an open tryout for someone who can kick an extra point.

Man, I actually DID have a sense of foreboding about that FG attempt, but I think it was maybe the missed PAT and the short kickoff after Dunbar broke that long touchdown run. I don't put the blocked FG all on the kicker though; we haven't been blocking well for punts and placekicks for a while now. Also, the Army guy made a great play there. I still say teams are seeing something in our kicking game that they can exploit; once the first punt got blocked (Middle Tennessee)? It's been a recurring nightmare.

And hey, gomeangreen1999, were you at the FB game?

That conclusion was embarrassing. You need two timeouts to decide to kick a field goal? Then, having wasted a timeout, you have only one left at the end of the game. So, when Army sets up to punt, you have only 12 seconds left instead 40 seconds. And then you gamble on a punt block and are left unprepared to field Army's punt, allowing the ball to lolligag its way down the field and run out the remaining time. And obviously the Mean Green defenders on the field at the end had no idea what the coaches were planning because after Army's third-down play with 12 seconds left, the UNT players started shaking hands with the Army offense, thinking the game was over.

It's one thing to lose, but it's quite another to look this stupid in doing it.

There were face-palms aplenty in Section E.

This team is soooo close to being good.

I completely disagree. We have played the easiest schedule we could possibly put together, and we have 2 wins to show for it. The two wins were against (arguably) the two worst teams in Division 1-a (Ball St and WKU). Army is terrible, and Ohio is below average when compared to all Division 1 teams. Troy and MUTS, while good Sunbelt teams, are also well below average when compared to Division 1-a teams as a whole. The rest of the Sunbelt ranks between #100-#115 among the 120 D-1 teams. The fact that we had "close calls" and "moral victories" against fellow gutter dwellers doesn't in any way make us close to being a good team. With this schedule, 6 wins would barely qualify us as being mediocre, although we would all feel better about "making progress". Two wins, although not unexpected, is a pretty hopeless result.

Gretchen, was probably asking RV more about the game of football and its so called rules. Or asked RV why he signed Dodge to a 5 year contract that they can't afford to break. Please give me a break.

I hope this wasnt their first so called discussion.

Back out of a game and schedule a money game to pay for breaking TD's contract